Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Just got Gigabit service installed and all of my devices are getting a maximum speed of 35Mbps

New Poster

Just got Gigabit service installed and all of my devices are getting a maximum speed of 35Mbps

Comcast just upgraded our modem and lines for gigabit service. After the install the internet is less reliable and the absolute fastest speed I have been able to get over wifi is 35Mbps. I don't expect the network or all of my devices to get GIG speeds but I do expect to be able to go into at least the hundreds reliably. The two who did the install (while also installing home security) showed me speeds of 350ish on their test devices and my roommates Macbook got 150-200 reliably over wifi.

I have five devices that I have connected to the wifi myself: A PS4, an Android tablet running version 4.4, an iPad 1, an Asus Laptop running Windows 8, and my Galaxy S2. I know my devices are older but at my previous address I was using Comcast and paying for 100Mbps and usually averaged 65-80 during off-peak hours. I don't know why just my devices are being sluggish.

I have already tried fully resetting the modem, restarting all of my devices, forgetting and then re-adding the wifi network, and a few other tricks I found online. Yet I still get a max speed of 35Mbps and an average of 20. Sometimes my upload speed is faster than the download. I don't know what is going on and would really like to get this fixed.

Expert

Re: Just got Gigabit service installed and all of my devices are getting a maximum speed of 35Mbps

You have to start by figuring out if you have a WiFi issue or a modem/signal issue. To test this, start by connecting directly to the modem via ethernet and run a speed test. If your speeds are fine there, then you can concentrate on WiFi issues.

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

New Poster

Re: Just got Gigabit service installed and all of my devices are getting a maximum speed of 35Mbps

Completely disabled wifi on my laptop and connected directly to the Comcast provided modem/router with an Ethernet cable and got an average of 325-350Mbps down and 40-45Mbps up. Disconnected the Ethernet and went back to wifi only and got 40 down and 35 up.

Expert

Sounds like you have more than one issue there. Please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels.

See the troubleshooting guide.

Thank you!

New Poster

There is no identifiable model name or number on the modem. It was installed by Comcast and they took their old modem back.Big huge disclaimer on the bottom saying it is property of Comcast though.

Took a screenshot of my various Speed tests on my Android tablet over the last 48 hours and my most recent test on my laptop can be referenced on Speedtest.net with the result ID 7216832039

Screenshot_2018-04-10-19-59-46.png
Expert

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

New Poster

Thanks

Official Employee

Hi studeggle, 

I can help take a deeper look into this. Can you please verify your first and last name, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.