Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Internet drops several times a day, between 10am -10pm

New Poster

Internet drops several times a day, between 10am -10pm

Hi,

For the past several weeks, my network connection quits, for periods ranging from 2 minutes to 20 minutes, 2-10 times a day.  Generally only between 10am-10pm.  The drops happen regardless of whether someone is home or not.  Outside of the drops, I do not see performance issues, and generally get my rated service speed (200Mbps).

When the drop occurs, The lights on my modem will sit on solid for several minutes, and in the modem config it shows loss of connectivity.  Rebooting the modem seems to fix it, but with many of the outages being short, I can't be sure the service is not just "fixed" by the time the modem has power cycled.

So far, I have replaced the modem twice (3 total modems, 3 different models, 2 different brands) as well I replaced my router.  No change to the issue.   I have statuscake.com setup to check connectivity to my home security cam server, which I have used to generate the graph attached, showing the past 3 days' outages.  Additionally my modem's event log most recent data is attached.  I have called now 3 times, and each time the tech on the phone says "yes I definitely see the issue", does something, then declares it fixed.  Then sometime in the next few hours, another drop.  The last tech promised to call back later and check if the issue was actually resolved, she never did.

Some additional, questionably relevant information.  I only have internet service, no TV.  The line from outside is run directly to my modem, no splitters.  When I moved in (8 months ago), I initially signed up for 500Mbps service.  We went through 5 modems and 3 visits from techs, and they could never get 500Mbps.  With the service setup on their end for 500Mbps, the modem would always default to 15Mbps.  Finally, they admitted they had no idea why they couldn't get my house, with any modem to work at 500Mbps, so they set me up with 200Mbps and a discount.  For 7 months it worked fine, until this new issue started 3 weeks ago.

I'm not sure now how to get ahold of someone with the knowledge to actually diagnose and fix this issue.  I would appreciate some help, thank you!

Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG
Capture3.PNG
Expert

Re: Internet drops several times a day, between 10am -10pm

Hi @semibreve42

Thank you for visiting the forums! Sorry to hear about your issues. Your power levels look good, but your error log confirms your issues.

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

You might find some helpful information here: troubleshooting guide.