New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Internet Connection Drops off Many Times Daily

New Poster

Internet Connection Drops off Many Times Daily

Hi,

We've been getting internet drop off problem for more than one month. The connection used to be quite good, but it got very badly lately. Today, it drops off more than five times from morning to noon (even when I'm typing this message). Last week, CC tech came in and said the problem is the bad connection between our home and the CC mainbox in our neighbor's backyard (just about 50 ft away). He replaced the cable. After that, we had good connection for just one or two days. Then, the problem has occurred again. Here are other info:

1. We use Motorola SBG6580;

2. Everytime the connection drops off, we need to unplug the cable and power, and then plug in. Usually, this will reestablish the connection. When connected, the speed is very good. No speed issues.

3. Tracert www.comcast.net: between 7ms and 19ms;

4. Ping: 0ms

5. downstream link:

LockStatus Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR

Locked QAM256 219 609000000 Hz -4.6 dBmV 38.4 dB

6. Upstream link:

LockStatus US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power

Locked ATDMA 1 5120 Ksym/sec 31800000 Hz 53.5 dBmV

7. Even Log:

Sun Sep 04 12:27:27 2011    Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;

Sun Sep 04 11:55:15 2011    Notice (6)   TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;

Sun Sep 04 11:55:05 2011    Critical (3)   No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out  

Sun Sep 04 11:55:04 2011    Warning (5)   B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;

Sun Sep 04 11:55:04 2011    Critical (3)   No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out  

Sun Sep 04 11:53:57 2011    Notice (6)   T4 No Station Maint Timeout - Reinitialize MAC..

Sun Sep 04 11:53:57 2011    Critical (3)   Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;

Sun Sep 04 11:53:25 2011    Critical (3)   Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;

Sun Sep 04 11:19:53 2011    Notice (6)   TLV-11 - unrecognized OID; Time Not Established   Critical (3)   No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out  

Sun Sep 04 11:17:55 2011    Critical (3)   Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;

Sun Sep 04 11:17:23 2011    Critical (3)   Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;

8. Even without TV connection, the problem is still the same. 

9. Lease Time: 1 hour from running ipconfig/all.

10. Called CC many times. However, except for sending in tech, they seem to be unable to identify the problem.

Any idea of the problem? Appreciate your kind suggestions and helps.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Internet Connection Drops off Many Times Daily

I am so happy I came to this page! My connection issues are that exct same way. I though it was just my computer. It is extrememly frustraing as I am an online studant. I hope they can get this issue resolved !

Regular Visitor

We too are having the same problem over the past two weeks.
Frequent Visitor

Your issues seem very simliar to the ones I have been experiencing this past month.  

You should check out the thread I made.

I've done everything from switching modems and routers to having the techs come out, put on splitters, take off splitters.  The issue is somewhere on the line itself, you need a line tech to come out and check.  From what I've read it is condensed cables or an issue with the amps.  

It's not an issue with the line directly to your house, in your house, or anything local; it's something on a  larger scale.

You need to call Comcast and explain that you don't just want a tech coming to your house to look at your modem, you want a line tech or area supervisor to check the lines in the area, not just the line from your house to the mainbox.

Cable Expert

JohnComc wrote:

6. Upstream link:

Locked ATDMA 1 5120 Ksym/sec 31800000 Hz 53.5 dBmV

You should prob. have a tech back out. Your signals are are still out of spec. Your modem is working too hard to communicate upstream.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

We have also been having this problem on a near daily basis in Cape May for the last month. Maybe it's time to dump comcas tand use fios.

Regular Visitor

This has been going on for 6 months in my area (Northern Illinois) and still no answer....... 

New Poster

Good news: no drop off in the last 30 hours, which is the first time in more than one month.

I just checked the specs. Now they are:

Downstream:

LockStatus Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR

Locked QAM256 217 597000000 Hz -2.5 dBmV 38.0 dB

Upstream:

Locked TDMA and ATDMA 2 2560 Ksym/sec 25000000 Hz 47.0 dBmV

As "i_am_nerdburg" pointed out, the previous setups were out of specs. They are more reasonable now. It seems that experts in Comcast took care of the issue and made the correction as we did not do anything. So, guys, experts and helps are right here, not in the call center!

Thanks for the helps.