Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Inconsistent Upload Speeds Fort Lauderdale FL

Frequent Visitor

Inconsistent Upload Speeds Fort Lauderdale FL

Let me start by saying I have been a long time, happy customer of Comcast. I have lived in Jacksonville, FL - Panama City Beach, FL - and now Fort Lauderdale, FL. In all instances I have streamed to Twitch.tv and had a 50/10 100/10 and now 150/20 internet package.

The issue: No matter what streaming service I try to stream to ie. Twitch.tv, Youtube, etc. I receive the same issue. My upload bitrate is completely inconsistent. No matter what server I try to connect to, no matter what boradcast software I try to use, it's the same end result. This has only happened since I have had comcast in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Steps to resolve:

* Called comcast to report issue (Issue Remained)

* Personally replaced my cable modem/router with a Netgear C7000 modem/router combo (Issue Remained)

* Tech came out and replaced every coax end in my house, replaced inside splitter, fixed issues with the box outside. He saw issues come from the street line and schedule maintenance to come out and check the nodes/psu's, etc. (Issue Remained)

* Called comcast to check on scheduled maintenace, it was cancelled because they said it has been checked previously and it's fine. After hearing my story they scheduled another tech to come out.

* Called comcast and increased my speed from the 100/10 plan to the 150/20 plan to give myself some buffer room as I understand Comcast can't guarantee my upload be at 10mbps all the time. NOTE that I stream at 4.5mbps constant. Even though my previous Comcast plans of 10mbps upload served my needs in Jacksonville and Panama City Beach I wanted to see if the increased speed would resolve my issue.

* After the speed increase my experience has been exactly the same. It's as if doubling the potential upload rate has done nothing. I still see severe bitrate hits when trying to stream at 4.5mbps, down to 300kbps.

* The next tech came out and understood my issue, but essentially couldn't resolve it. He said he would bring it up with his supervisor and see if they could get someone to really dig into the routing piece and or issues with the lines down the street. NOTE that every comcast tech I have spoken to has been helpful and has tried their best to resolve my issues, but there's only so much they can do.

* I have 3 computers I have tested from which all have the same problem. If it's not in the house, it's not on the side of the house, the issue has to be coming from down the line somewhere. Like I stated before I have never had this issue with Comcast before. Even with 10mbps I could easily stream 4.5mbps stable with no dropped frames whatsoever. I would appreciate any help on this matter. I work from home so I'm available anytime.

* NOTE I have scheduled the installation of ATT internet services so I can put their 50/10 service (Best available in my area) up against my 150/20 Comcast service. If I plug ATT directly into my streaming PC and it gets a stable 4.5mbps connection to my streaming services, that pretty much tells me the issue is Comcast and I have to switch providers. I really don't want to do that! I would much rather see this issue resolved before my install date for ATT (1/30/18) so I can cancel that install.

Thanks for any help provided! I have always been a loyal Comcast customer.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Inconsistent Upload Speeds Fort Lauderdale FL

I forgot to say the Upload speed has been stable for a few hours in the past, but has then gone back to its normal huge fluctuations. I would say my service is stable about 10% of the time. I have friends that run the same tests and have Comcast around the state of Florida and they have no issues whatsoever. I have attached screenshots of a tool I use to easily test my stream quality to the Twitch.tv service. These were taken 30 minutes apart, and before I upgraded my package from the 100/10 service to the 150/20 service.

Test12PM.PNG
Test1130AM.PNG
Frequent Visitor

Here are the speedtest results from today. I also ran the bandwidth test tool from twitch right after and posted the results for it as well. Note that my friend who has comcast 20 minutes from me, and also has a 5mbps upload service, can run this tool and get stable upload bandwidth readings with 80+ qualities to twitch servers.

NewTwitchTest.PNG
speedtest.PNG
Frequent Visitor

Here is a screenshot of an upload test to a Miami, FL server. It is exactly the same inconsistent results that the twitch.tv test shows.

UploadTestToMiami.PNG
Frequent Visitor

Here is a download test to the same server in Miami, FL.

DownloadTestToMiami.PNG
Bronze Problem Solver

droolskool wrote:

Here is a screenshot of an upload test to a Miami, FL server. It is exactly the same inconsistent results that the twitch.tv test shows.

What is the miami server? The speedtest.net shows higher results. Could be the miami server

Frequent Visitor

That is testmy.net results and their network has a ton of bandwidth. I tried multiple servers and got the same result from an upload perspective. You can try performing the same test if you have Comcast to test your upload.

Bronze Problem Solver

droolskool wrote:

That is testmy.net results and their network has a ton of bandwidth. I tried multiple servers and got the same result from an upload perspective. You can try performing the same test if you have Comcast to test your upload.

Tried testmy.net and only got 33m for dl and 97k for ul, but my speedtest.net numbers 237M/12M. If I look at results details of testmy.net, it says "Target:: Dallas, TX https://dallas.testmy.net", I'm in MA. Thats not really a speed test of your system or comcast's.

Frequent Visitor

Yea you can change the server to the closest to you. They just happen to have one in Miami, which is a stones throw away from me. It's important to note friends who have Comcast all over the state of FL, and do the same thing I do, do not have this problem. And as a test my buddy who lives 15-20min away, and has a 30/5 Comcast service, gets a steady upload rate using the twitch tool. His rates are faster than mine, and more stable, and my service is supposedly far greater. The Comcast techs understand my issue, and see the problem, they just can't fix it. I have heard there could be backbone issues, etc, that could be causing my issue.

Bronze Problem Solver

mvenanzi wrote:

droolskool wrote:

Tried testmy.net and only got 33m for dl and 97k for ul, but my speedtest.net numbers 237M/12M. If I look at results details of testmy.net, it says "Target:: Dallas, TX https://dallas.testmy.net", I'm in MA. Thats not really a speed test of your system or comcast's.

If I change to miami server I get 105M dl and 90K ul

Bronze Problem Solver

There are no servers near me.

Frequent Visitor

Here is a screenshot of my modem channels, etc.

ModemConnections.PNG
Frequent Visitor

Here is a screenshot of my latest speed test from Comcast. Once again, the Upload speed is the issue. I pay for 20mbps, get 2mbps.

Capture.PNG
Administrator

@droolskool, I did a check of your devices and was able to see some clear issues with a lot of drops and timeouts. It looks like they might have submitted a refer to maintenance ticket to have our techs that work the lines look into the issue. Usually these type of issues can take time, specially if it is related to noise problems since the techs need to go down the line to find the source of the intermittent. Usually it will take 2-3 days for work to complete, I am going to keep an eye out for you and try to reach out to the local team to see if there is any way to expedited. But from experience and due to many outside factors these type of issues are not easy to pinpoint. 

Also as a side note, what are your current settings you are using to stream? Depending a lot on the upload available there are things that you can do to mitigate the problem while they work to fix it. If streaming to twitch, lowering the bit rate to 2,000 with a 480p 60fps it might still allow you to keep a steady connection to their servers. I know the quality would not be HD, but with lower Upload available it might help. You could also go to 480 at 30 FPS, with 1500 to 2000, but quality can take a major hit at that rate and I know is not optimal, but from my experience streaming usually even at the lower rates users that watch from phones/tablets still get a good picture. But that depends a lot in the game as well. 

Administrator

@droolskool , I see that work in your area was completed, have you seen any improvement with your upload speeds?