Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

IP address question

Frequent Visitor

IP address question

I have been having strange issues with Sling TV service, that they suggest is related to IP issues.

Im not a super techie guy, but, I know that I have the same IP address I have had ever since a modem/router issue in December. If I use a Google IP locator, I see a picture of mine and few neighbour roofs.

A few of my local networks are rebroadcast on Sling TV, Fox 5, NBC 4, and 2 foreign language networks. I've read that in each DMA, (Designated Market Area) they rent storage/servers from a COLA to receive not only the local feeds, but also for their Cloud DVR service. Etc. I assume it isn't easy keeping all that working correctly, but I'm getting frustrated.

Several times, for periods of 6 hours to 5 days, I will receive locals from other markets instead of from the DC DMA. Three times its Philly, three times New York, once Dallas FT Worth, and once Chicago. When I work my way through Customer Service at SlingTV, and general trouble shooting steps of power cycling my Apple TV, power cycling my Cisco Router/modem, uninstalling/ re-installing the SlingTV app, eventually I am given an "escalated support" claim, and just wait until it is resolved. 

Every service tech at SlingTV says the Apple TV, as it's a set top box and not mobile, uses the IP address to determine location, as opposed to iPhone, or iPad, that use GPS. They explain in language above my understanding that Comcast IP's are a problem. I reply that Comcast Cust Service has told me that residential service does not use dynamic IP's, and that my modem/router Does not have a user configurable IP.

Im one day in on this latest issue, and before I call back to Sling TV service Techs, I'd like to make sure that I'm not just stuck in the middle between 2 Cust service departments, because I think Comcast is correct,... This time.

Is there anything I don't understand about how Comcast IP's work? Like I said, using IP locator on Google, It clearly shows my roof.

Expert

Re: IP address question

FWIW, Comcast does assign "dynamic" IP's to residential connections. And they can't be changed using a Comcast supplied gateway device. The only way to change it is to swap out for a new / different gateway, or put your current gateway in to bridge mode and use a stand-alone router with it.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks. This time it wasn't just me, it turned into nationwide issue, with SlingTV subscribers across the country tweeting about receiving crazy local broadcasts due to Comcast IP confusion. I don't understand completely, but it's resolved, and I have MY locals again.

Appreciate the info.

Expert

Glad that it got straightened out ! Closing this topic.