Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

How to improve poor WiFi range with X1 Gateway

Frequent Visitor

How to improve poor WiFi range with X1 Gateway

I have an X1 Gateway (probably 2 or more years old) and never had the best WiFi in the back of our older home. It wasn't a big deal, but we just bought a new "smart TV for the back bedroom and no connection is reliable. The signal must pass through at least two lathe and plaster walls, and unfortunately, we can't move the gateway to a more central location. Does Comcast have any boosters that work? I don't want to have to run a LAN line or buy my own seperate router and run the gateway in Bridge mode (I read this was a possible solution) if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How to improve poor WiFi range with X1 Gateway

There are powerline Ethernet kits. For a TV, if it can do Ethernet, I would go with that as it's more reliable. WiFi should be limited to mobile devices.

You could also look into a WiFi repeater. Put it somewhere in the middle between the gateway and TV.

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately, there is no great spot with power between the front and back of the house to run a repeater, and the powerline solutionn works the same as the Cat6 cable, which will still need a router to give me an unwiired signal in the back. I looked at my wiring situation and not as bad as I thought because i had left the cable to my downstairs office connected, so just need a 15' line to go to the upstairs bdr. Guess I answered my own question. I assume the Cat 6 cable coming from my main gateway would plug directly into a second router in the back room to get wireless there?

Service Expert

@RobS10 wrote:

I have an X1 Gateway (probably 2 or more years old) and never had the best WiFi in the back of our older home. It wasn't a big deal, but we just bought a new "smart TV for the back bedroom and no connection is reliable. The signal must pass through at least two lathe and plaster walls, and unfortunately, we can't move the gateway to a more central location. Does Comcast have any boosters that work? I don't want to have to run a LAN line or buy my own seperate router and run the gateway in Bridge mode (I read this was a possible solution) if I don't have to.

Thanks!

I had the same issue and I finally gave up on Comcast wifi and installed a mesh network (Orbi).  It's expensive but there are other less expensive mesh networks (do a google) that might be better for you.  Comcast's new XB6 gateway also has a mesh solution, if your Comcast market supports it.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-pods-faqs

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Think I will go the wired route since the CAT 6 cable is almost there. WiFi is not a huge deal but would be nice to occasionally use an iPad in the back rooms or laptop. I have an older ATT Motorola router that I saved from when I had DSL a couple years ago at my shop. What are the chances of using that as my WiFi router for those times we want WiFi in the back (but use the Ethernet line for the smart TV)?

Highlighted
Problem Solver

If you're looking to add wireless capability in your back rooms, then I suggest you spring for a relatively inexpensive, more modern router and set it up as a backhaul Wireless Access Point - which will give you wi-fi and multiple Ethernet ports, but more importantly will not conflict with your Comcast gateway's routing functions.

I wouldn't suggest using the old Motorola router since you might encounter not just configuration problems but possible security issues if you're not able to update that device's software. 

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation