New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How to Secure a Wireless Router

SOLVED
Posted by
Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 101 of 169 (21,109 Views)

Re: How to Secure a Wireless Router

These are great instructions for setting up most wireless routers, although they have little to do with Comcast's routers, as they don't allow for disabling the SSID nor for stronger protection than 128-bit WEP.  Having worked with Wireless routers since they were released, I'm here to tell you that with Windows XP, (doesn't matter which version or SP level,) disabling SSID only causes problems with Windows ability to find the router.  As long as you disable the MAC addressing ability to where only the network cards you have are seen by the router, disable UPnP, and can use WPA protection, you should be fine in most cases.  Unfortunately Comcast still hasn't realised this and **bleep** up the settings pages with the routers with their firmware and don't allow for the WPA protection to work, wheither or not your equipment is capable of it, because their techs are stupid and don't know how to do a simple drop down change to use the protection, since they seem to think that everyone else is incompetent to set up their networks themselves and thus purchase their equipment and need their incompetent techs to go out and do it for you.  (Yes, I do mean incompetent, it took them thus far 20 tries to get my network to where it stays connected 70% of the time in comparison it used to stay connected about 55% of the time.  I still see major drop offs of connectivity and they still can't figure out there is a problem somewhere in the network that's not at my house, even after they run a dedicated line straight to the modem and the modem isn't showing any problems on it's end, nor have the other 5 modems that have been connected to the line.  They also still can't read the news reports as well as Microsoft's website where they tell you that WEP has been cracked for a long while now and is no longer secure nor supported by Microsoft for securing a network.)

One more thing, Apples don't have the problems with not being able to find non-broadcasting SSID's that Windows has a problem with.  You will experience many drop outs if you're even able to connect at all when using Windows XP and disabling the SSID.  I've set up hundereds of Wireless networks for people to know for a fact through trial and error that I know what I'm talking about, I've even discussed it ad nauseam with Microsoft themselves about this issue and they tell me they are still aware of it and are still not able to fix the problem as they require it to be able to find the network to connect to it.  Wheither or not you chose to let Windows control the connection or not.  I've used every method there is to keep the connection without enabling the SSID and in every case it would drop the connection, if not immediately then shortly afterwards.  I'm not saying that everyone will have this problem but with all the networks I have connected to that have the ability to disable it, it's happened with and it's well documented across the net as well.

As far as WEP goes, I have to change mine every couple days or it gets cracked, but this varies dependant upon location, it doesn't help I live not far away from a truck stop either and can't disable DHCP with the Comcast router either, since they only allow for a maximum of 5 computers to be connected to their network devices and require that it be enabled.
Posted by
Edited on
‎11-01-2006 06:51 PM

Connection Expert

Message 102 of 169 (21,096 Views)

[ Edited ]
>>"I'm here to tell you that with Windows XP, (doesn't matter which version or SP level,) disabling SSID only causes problems with Windows ability to find the router."

Hmmm....... I've had 5 or 6 different makes and models of Routers in past years, and used the built in Window's client to manage the connections.

I  turned off SSID Broadcasting from day one on each and every one of them, and never once had a problem associating with, or staying connected to these WAP's.

I am curious as to why you would continue to use the Comcast Home Networking package ?

Message Edited by EG on 11-01-2006 06:52 PM

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 103 of 169 (21,040 Views)

When buying a Wireless Router for home use, are the right kind of security features: 64/128-bit WEP, WPA, ironclad 802.1x authentication via a RADIUS server. These are features are on the D-Link DI-624 router are they good enough for portecting a simple home network?

this the first router I ever thought buying and any help with geting my computers connected to the net would be great.
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 104 of 169 (21,019 Views)

WPA is the authentication mechanism you want to use. WEP is easily broken, and RADIUS requires a separate authentication server on your network (this option is mainly for businesses -- it allows them to use the same accounts for wireless authentication as they use for their server logins).

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 105 of 169 (20,831 Views)

A BIG THANKS for this information. I see alot of differences mentioned when users were "upgrading" to XP. Any concerns arose since Vista's introduction? Wireless client configuration still simliar? This forum has been a great help, much appreciated!Smiley Happy
Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 106 of 169 (20,815 Views)

I can't speak for Vista personally, I haven't had the opportunity to install a wireless adapter on my Vista setup.  However, from the looks of the wired network properties dialog, I'd guess it was pretty much the same.  XP had a nice wireless network setup wizard that worked reasonably well, and most manufacturers had installs that worked as well as long as the user didn't cause their own problems.  I might get a wireless card next weekend and give it a try and maybe update the top post with Vista instructions and tips.  Of course it will all depend on the weather.  If it's nice again, it might be time to get the Harley fired up and have its first bath of the year Smiley Happy

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 107 of 169 (20,810 Views)

Baric wrote:
it might be time to get the Harley fired up and have its first bath of the year Smiley Happy

The bath is done here....just waitin for the rain to stop now!
Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 108 of 169 (20,796 Views)

demusman wrote:

The bath is done here....just waitin for the rain to stop now!

I shoudn't have said anything, because now it's snowing outside, with about 4-5 inches of very wet, heavy snow.  Sigh...

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 109 of 169 (20,740 Views)

Great job....I've been reading everything I can get my hands on!!

Question: I have another program "NETWORK MAGIC" that allows me to momitor my network conections, speeds etc.

When I have the WPA security in place on my wireless computers then this program "NETWORK MAGIC" no longer sees the connection with my wired master computer.

Is there some way to do WPA on the wired computers? Maybe I'm asking the impossible.
Posted by
Edited on
‎06-29-2007 12:28 AM

Connection Expert

Message 110 of 169 (20,740 Views)

[ Edited ]
WEP and WPA are *wireless* security encryption schemes and do not apply to, nor are they necessary for *wired* networking.

Message Edited by EG on 06-29-2007 12:57 AM

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 111 of 169 (20,731 Views)

That was what I suspected Thanks and thanks for the how to on security!!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 112 of 169 (20,608 Views)

Thanks Baric. This all I nedd.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 113 of 169 (20,569 Views)

what do you suggest if the page at http://192.168.1.1/ is blank?   It is blank on every computer Smiley Sad
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 114 of 169 (20,562 Views)

What is the make and model  # of your router ?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 115 of 169 (20,512 Views)

Wow! Thanks much for all the information. I have a wireless router on it's way and have been told that setting up my network could be a nightmare. I have a desktop I am using, and a laptop I'd love to use wirelessly... as it is if I want to use my wonderful laptop I have to plug in the ethernet and have comcast re-set the modem, then I have to unplug it, re-plug the desktop and have them reset it again. I can't find my reset button on the modem or I'd do it myself. I have never used a wireless router (this one is specificly for use with cable/dsl/broadband modems and is a lynksys) or configured a network before and am trying to collect all the help and tips I can before it comes (hopefully Monday). Your information is going to come in handy!
Trish
Posted by
Visitor

Message 116 of 169 (20,511 Views)

Hi again
Quick question. Is it possible to make my wireless laptop connection to be the main computer? Just wondering, since the desktop that has my comcast connection belongs to my teenagers. I have a new wireless router coming and I would prefer to be able to have all the "control" from my personal laptop that the kids can't mess with.
Thanks
Trish
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 117 of 169 (20,494 Views)

You restrict access to managing the router with a username and password, it has nothing to do with which computer you're coming from.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 118 of 169 (20,452 Views)

In the original post, Baric indicated:

"XP Wireless Client Configuration
(Stay tuned for the the wireless client setup for XP, it will be a little delayed due to a faulty power supply)."

I know you aren't around as often...but it's taking a really long time to get that XP box up and running...or did I miss something?  Did this info get posted elsewhere?  Or did you change your mind about eventually filling this in?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 119 of 169 (20,448 Views)

I haven't seen Baric around here in months.  You might want to email him, and jerk his chain. Smiley Happy
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 120 of 169 (20,449 Views)

In the absence of any further Windows client configuration direction from Baric, readers of this thread may find the following link to a Microsoft Technet article helpful:

To some extent it may be info overkill.  But the sections on "Configuring the Windows XP Wireless Clients" cover the various options and methods to get the client up, running and secured.  That info can be used as an adjunct to the router configuration info already provided here.  There's a specific section on how to follow the WPA-PSK and TKIP configuration suggested by Baric.  It also covers WEP and WPA2, and explains the relative advantages and disadvantages of each.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor
Message 121 of 169 (20,427 Views)

Tried the router reconfiguration site 10 times, will not come up
Posted by
Visitor
Message 122 of 169 (20,480 Views)

Help, just got a Belkin with my new laptop and can't get the reconfig page to come up, how did you do it
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 123 of 169 (20,380 Views)

I am setting up a wireless router and following your excellent instructions. I hit a snag - on instruction #7, enable wireless filtering, when I do my ipconfig /all it gives me two addresses. I do not know which to use:
The first addresses is called Ethernet adapter LAN...... Macphyter PCI adapter physical address, and the next address it lists is called the Ethernet adapter wireless network connection physical address. Which one do I "permit only" per the instructions?
Karen
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 124 of 169 (20,373 Views)

Well unfortunately, Baric's whereabouts are currently unknown, but I believe that would be the latter. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 125 of 169 (20,363 Views)

Since you're securing your wireless connection, you must use the physical address of the wireless adapter.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 126 of 169 (20,352 Views)

Note that some wireless routers (the SMC that I have) will apply mac filtering to all connections, both wireless and wired. If your router works this way then you might want to include both mac addresses.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 127 of 169 (20,288 Views)

Some clarification on the SSID broadcast issue....

Actually, turning off SSID broadcast potentially makes your network LESS secure. (Counter-intuitive, I know - but bear with me)

From what I recall (and I'll post the links below so you can read the original articles rather than my recalled interpretation of them) -- There are 5 types of broadcasts that use the SSID - only one of them is the beacon to announce the network's presence. Turning it off - still leaves the other 4.  If your network is "hidden" by turning off the broadcast, your laptop will continually broadcast a "are you there?" message looking for your home network. There is no way to turn this off. So, if you're sitting in Starbucks - while you are connected to their network (or the free one next door that someone left open) - your computer is still sending out broadcasts looking for your other, hidden network by name. Regularly. Continually. Someone who picks up these messages now knows that your laptop has a preferred connection to a wireless network of a certain name. (which they presumably could spoof) You have just compromised your security. If your home network  broadcasts the SSID,  your computer doesn't need to do this and keeps quiet.

Here's a column by George Ou of ZDnet on this issue and other incorrect WiFi security myths:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

Here's the more technical article that George references:
http://www.icsalabs.com/icsa/docs/html/communities/WLAN/wp_ssid_hiding.pdf

(But still, it's an EXCELLENT post -- I just hope there are still some people who don't bother with such things, so I can jump on an open connection when I need one and there's no "legal" alternative access point!)
Posted by
Edited on
‎03-08-2008 12:48 AM

Networking Expert

Message 128 of 169 (20,279 Views)

[ Edited ]
I find this argument utterly unconvincing and well, silly.  And here's why... Yes, you are broadcasting, but others can't see you unless they are running special wireless packet sniffing software.  These folks know who you are and who you're talking to anyway, just not what you're saying, which is the important thing.  It doesn't make you less secure, it just offers no added protection against a knowledgable and determined attacker.  That doesn't really gain them anything, your data is still encrypted, so there's nothing they can do (short of cracking your encryption).  They know you're there, and if they happen to come on you away from your network, they now know the name of your wireless network.  Big deal.  How is that any different from some bozo sitting outside your house with a wireless sniffer, who can also see you transmitting encrypted data back and forth on your network.  This is just so much mumbo jumbo made to scare people, but it's meaningless.

While I'll agree that turning off broadcasting is of debatable value, I think letting you fly under the radar of most clueless and semi-clueless users out there is a good thing.  But I take strong issue with those who say you are LESS secure for turning off SSID broadcasting.  That's nonsense as far as I can see and I have never seen a convincing argument to the contrary.  Now, I'm not great wireless transmission expert, so I'm willing to change my mind, but someone needs to convince me, and with a stronger, more well formed argument that that zd-net article.

Message Edited by Baric on 03-08-2008 12:48 AM

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 129 of 169 (20,269 Views)

I also find the articles misleading. Security is not an absolute, it's a continuum. The harder you make things for an attacker, the more secure you are. Also, multiple security mechanisms should be layered: if one measure doesn't stop the attacker, hopefully the next one will.

For example, he says that MAC address filtering is worthless. I agree that you should not depend on it as your only protection, since it's trivial to spoof. But I see no problem using it alongside other protections like WPA authentication.

Some of the measures we recommend are not going to protect against a determined attacker. But they do a good job protecting you against casual intruders. When my Comcast connection has gone down, I've turned on my wireless network and connected to a neighbor's unprotected WiFi router. If you follow our recommendations, you would not be susceptible to such simple hijacking.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 130 of 169 (19,993 Views)

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 131 of 169 (19,894 Views)

Posted by
Visitor

Message 132 of 169 (19,662 Views)

I just purcahse a laptop. My hubsand and myself were wondeing if i need a router to have wireless at home or will i have problems using the laptop at home. 
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 133 of 169 (19,658 Views)

If you desire to have a wireless home network, and the laptop has a wireless adapter, and you don't have a wireless capable router, then yes, you will need one.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 134 of 169 (19,530 Views)

I agree with everything you say but 1 that is 8. Turn on wireless encryption. Using Mac filtering is good enough by only using it I can assure you no one is getting into your router or your system. I have even had Comcast installers agree on the same thing. One thing you forgot to list is that on wireless your speed is cut in half from using wired to 54m when you turn on and use encryption you again cut that almost half because of compression now you are down to about 36m speed. I have played with this for a number of yrs and have ran many of tests. If you run any of the good speed test with it on and off compared to being hooked wired you will see the difference. Like I said using Mac filtering is good enough there is no way some one can change the Mac address on there wireless device to one you have in your list if they can see it or can they not change there wireless device to ant Mac address they may see coming from any of your wireless devices. I have configured many of routers using factory or other custom firmware and have always use Mac filtering never wireless encryption and not once has any one hacked into anyone's router doing it only that way,
Posted by
Edited on
‎12-23-2009 10:48 AM

Connection Expert

Message 135 of 169 (19,529 Views)

[ Edited ]
N.M. Withdrawn.
Message Edited by EG on 12-23-2009 10:48 AM

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 136 of 169 (19,520 Views)

EG wrote:
N.M. Withdrawn.
Message Edited by EG on 12-23-2009 10:48 AM

Smiley Wink

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 137 of 169 (19,518 Views)

Smiley Wink

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 138 of 169 (19,454 Views)

isn't  UPnP  used for peer to peer tv & bitorrent  I have a wireless router and would like to port forward  this has to do with upnp??     that would be a very popular need for it ????

Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 139 of 169 (19,443 Views)

UPnP is used by a number of hardware and software components. I do believe that some bittorrent clients will use it if available, although I have no hard info on this.  I think it's a huge security risk and I'm not in favor of allowing just any program to open up holes in my firewall whenever it wants to.  Would it be easier for some?  Probably, but then so would removing your firewall entirely and I think we call all agree that would be a bad idea.

Not sure what you mean by peer to peer TV, got a particular system in mind?

In the end, it's up to the individual user what settings they decide to use or disable.  They have to evaluate the risk vs. the utility of using a particular feature like UPnP.  Some users may well decide the risk is worth the benefit gain, others may decide it's not.  I'm firmly in the "not" camp at this time.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 140 of 169 (19,424 Views)

Thank you.. Good job!

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 141 of 169 (19,497 Views)

Baric, Do u send personal emails to people, such as myself, i am new at routers and such

but i have a few questions, If i may email you, then i will send u my email address , newbie.

Thanks much.

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 142 of 169 (19,488 Views)

Baric hasn't logged into the forums in a week, so sending just to him may not be the best way to get an answer.

Please start a forum thread with your questions. There are a number of us who can answer them.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 143 of 169 (19,427 Views)

I have home wireless. I want to set up a home office in another room with another computer. What, if anything, do I need to do to get Internet service on my new computer?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 144 of 169 (19,425 Views)

Please respond!

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 145 of 169 (19,421 Views)

Need a little more info here.

Do you subscribe to the comcast Home Networking service  where they take care of everything like this for you?

or

Do you just have the normal High speed internet service?

If the latter is the case.

you have to buy a Wireless router or get the Free Wireless Router from Comcast.

Once you have the Router:

1. Power the Modem off
  2. Disconnect the Computer from the Modem
  3. Use an ethernet cable to connect the Router WAN Jack to the Modem.
  4. Power up the Modem and let it stabilize
  5. Power up the Router and let it stabilize
  6. Use another cable to connect the PC to one of the LAN jacks on the Router

Once you get the wired part of your network running as above, then Fire up your Wireless Laptop and let it connect wirelessly to the router.  You should see an icon pop up on the lower Right corner of the screen (taskbar) showing you are connected

Or you can open your browser and see if you can surf.

If you can surf, thenfo back to Barics Thread to set up Encryption to keep your neighbors from using your Wireless router to get free access to the internet.

Once you are able to surf and are all set up , move your laptop out to the Room where you will normally use it and give it a try.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 146 of 169 (19,338 Views)

Moved to Customer Service, since this has nothing to do with configuring router security.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 147 of 169 (18,241 Views)

I would like to order a wireless router

Posted by
Visitor

Message 148 of 169 (18,239 Views)

I was told I could order awireless router on line.

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-02-2013 04:26 PM

Connection Expert

Message 149 of 169 (18,237 Views)

[ Edited ]

Click the link below for info;

No longer valid link removed.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 150 of 169 (18,078 Views)

ctRe: How to Secure a Wireless Router

I ordered a wireless modem a few weeks ago and haven't recieved it yet. I have called all the numbers and everyone direct me back to here. What is the problem.? Is there a live person any where that will talk to me htat knows where or why my FREE wireless router has not come. I have been very displease with the service I have recieved so far with this program xfinity.