Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How do I tell if the router I have from Comcast is working correctly?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 1 of 6

Since Comcast put the 1024 GB'S of data a month plan into effect I have gone from using 300 GB's a month to 2 times going over the 1024 GB limit and being in the high 900 GB range the rest of the time. I have not changed the way I use my computer, i am disabled and can only spend a short amount of time on it a day but it already says I have used 186 GB'S while being gone 1 whole day for Dr. appointments and tests and spending the day before getting ready for that day and only spending 2 hours, doing research to try and find out what could be causing this great increase in data usage. so that leaves about 2 and 1/2 days to use 186 GB'S while being on the computer less than 4 hours a day. I have spent 4-5 hours watching YouTube but according to the Comcast estimate your usage page that was less than 30 Gb'S. I have been talking and complaining to Comcast since the first time, Nov, I went over the limit and gone through the departments until finally getting to the supervisors for security and tech department, at least that's what they say, only to be told "it's my problem, all Comcast has to do is get the WiFi to me and I'm in charge of what happens to it", "no way can you be using that much data but I do't know why it says you are", to the most recent " we will file a complaint to try and get the 2 forgiveness times for going over the limit back and then we will try to figure out what is going on."  Great but in the mean time the router is recording huge amounts of data while my computer says it has only used around 10 GB'S so far this month and my smart phone says I have used 595 MB'S both which are a long way from 186 GB'S! When I called yesterday with a question about my bill I got a really nice lady who listened to my story and said that it sounded to her like the Router isn't working correctly. Is there anyway I can check to see if my router is over charging me on data? I have the insurance to have Comcast come out and check it out but the guy in the upper level told me not to exchange the router in case the complaint was denied and then we could have the router checked to make sure it was working correctly. Seems to me that if the Comcast Tech came to my house and found out the Comcast Router  wasn't working right we could still use that report to get my forgiveness days back. Does anyone have an idea or opinions on what the problem could be, if I would be able to look and see if the router was working the right way, last night I couldn't get on the Internet because the US/DS wasn't working the right way but I was still charged 12 GB'S for the night with the computer turned off and the WiFi connection turned off, besides the fact of whatever that whatever the US/DS is was not working and preventing me from getting on the Internet? Thank you for any help you can give me. I should also tell you that I know very little about computers and even less about the language so pleas try to say things in English, or describe maybe, so I will know what you mean. I haven't even figured out if Data and WiFi are the same if that gives you any idea of how much I don't know/understand about computers. Thanks again and have a wonderful day or night, whatever time it is when you look at this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 6
Solution

Hello auntbear6. I can assist with your Comcast Wireless Gateway Router concerns. I have reviewed the settings and diagnostics of the modem and I can see everything appears to be set correctly. I verified you have a secured WiFi connection. 

I see the modem you have is one of our best models available. If however, you want to replace the modem, we can free of charge. Please let me know if this is something you are interested in.

As an alternative option, we can also perform a factory reset of the device to ensure the network names and passcodes are reset to factory defaults. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
5 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 6
Solution

Hello auntbear6. I can assist with your Comcast Wireless Gateway Router concerns. I have reviewed the settings and diagnostics of the modem and I can see everything appears to be set correctly. I verified you have a secured WiFi connection. 

I see the modem you have is one of our best models available. If however, you want to replace the modem, we can free of charge. Please let me know if this is something you are interested in.

As an alternative option, we can also perform a factory reset of the device to ensure the network names and passcodes are reset to factory defaults. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 3 of 6
FWIW, it's not a "modem". It's a gateway device... There is a difference..

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 4 of 6

Thank you EG for taking the time to read my post. However, as I tld everyone I know very little about computers and guess I should have added computer language. That being said I have no idea what "FWIW" means. It is more out of curiousity as the problem has been fixed. Seems the router or gateway device was in fact not working correctly. I was advised by phone from a 3rd tier CSA TECH, that's what his email adress says, again I don't understand much about computers or the language although this problem has made me learn some, in security and tech questions department to go trade my "router", that is what he called it and I will call it to keep everything straight, in for a specfic type. This new router can work with an app, XFinityXF@ XFinity.com/myXFi to show who is on your WiFi and what is using the most data. GREAT program the I highly recommend for all xfinity data user just so they know which device is using most of the data they are allowed per month. I was surprised to find out the ROKU, which I was told when it was unlimited data didn't use data, was not only using data but was using 95-98% of the daily data usage. This App also allows you to set a sleep time and a wake time, be careful to load the program onto your cell phone because once the computer goes to sleep you can't change anything because you can't "wake" the computer before its wake up time. With the cell phone you are able to go into the computer setting and change the wake up time so you can use your computer which was a good thing for me since I have trouble sleeping and sometimes like to listen to some of my Capella( sorry about spelling) groups to go to sleep. In short- The Modeum was bad, the new modeum works great and I went from an average of using 45-80 GB's of data a day to 14-20 GB's removing the fear of incurring extra costs for going over the data allowed, the app, XFinityXF for monitoring which device is using the most data is great, and be sure to add the app to your cell phone in case you set your computer to be asleep and change your mind while it is asleep. Thank you to the CSA Tech who finally listened to me and agreed it sounded like the router even though he had never seen one go bad before. His ability to have an open mind and desire to solve my problem allowed me to remain a Comcast customer without incurring extra data usage charges!!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 5 of 6

Thank you ComcastJoeTru for your suggestions. I was getting very close to going over the alloted data for the 3rd time and had to call Comcast, once again, but this time my call was elevated to a CSA TECH in the 3rd tier, which probably tells you something about his job but is just how I knew where to go to talk with him again. He was concerned by some of the less than helpful, some were hurtful, responses I got when I called for help and told me that they didn't often talk to the same customer again but he wanted to stay with me to prevent anymore useless "help" since the data deadline was approaching fast. He, like you, told me my router looked like it was working fine but he wanted me to o get a specific type of router and then download an app, XFinityXF @ XFinity.com/my XFi which he said would show if anyone was using my data and also would show which of my devices was using the most data. GREAT app and I highly recommend all XFinity data user to download! I was suprised to find out my ROKU, which I was told used no data, was using the most data of all my devices, all 3 of them. I was concerned until I talked with the CSA TECH again and he explained it only meant of all the data used in a day the ROKU used the most. This was important because I have my 84 year old Father, who has Dematia and this is the only thing that he can really relate to and helps him with some of his memory recall. This CSA TECH was responsible for my being able to remain a Comcast customer. Again, I thank you for taking the time to check out my router and for your suggestions on what I could do to fix the issue. A side note, my data usage went from 40-80+ GB's a day to 15-20 GB's a day. A huge difference which leaves lots of GB'S left at the end of the month!

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 6 of 6
No worries ! 😊 My comment was meant more as a general knowledge one. "FWIW" stands for * For Whatever It's Worth*. Glad you got it fixed ! Take care !

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.