Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

High Latency and Slow Download Speeds - User owned SB6141

New Poster

High Latency and Slow Download Speeds - User owned SB6141

I have a user-owned SB6141 Modem and Comcast 75Mbps internet at my house. I have been experiencing issues with high latency (at times pings with a response time over 400ms) and slow download speeds (at times under 1Mbps). Other times my internet will be performing as expected with ping times of 20-30ms and download speeds exceeding the level I pay for. All my testing was done on a device with a wired connection to wifi is NOT a factor.

A Comcast technician just came to my house and said he was unable to help because my model is End of Life. The SB6141 is a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem and according to Comcast (https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6141-467) has a max download speed of 202 Mbps. What I read from a 2016 post by Comcast Employee John F is that "Customers who own their own SB6121 or SB6141 modems can continue using these models with their Internet services. The only versions of SB6121 and SB6141 being declared End of Life are modems being leased from Comcast.http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/SB6121-6141-End-of-Life-Details/m-p/2708004/highlight.... I also checked and the downstream power level for my modem (-7 dBmV to -4 dBmV) is within the expected range. So the SB6141 meets the DOSCIS 3.0 requirement, the performance of the modem exceeds the speeds I pay for and the modem still supported as user-owned equipment but both the Comcast technician and the technician's supervisor said the modem was End-of-Life and didn't look any further into my issue. Even if I were to accept everything Comcast said I still don't see how the modem would be causing the latency issues I am experiencing.

How can I get Comcast to take my issue seriously? What should I ask them to look for to help diagnose the issue?

Expert

Re: High Latency and Slow Download Speeds - User owned SB6141

wrote:

I also checked and the downstream power level for my modem (-7 dBmV to -4 dBmV) is within the expected range. 

What do the SNR and the upstream power level figures look like ?

New Poster

Re: High Latency and Slow Download Speeds - User owned SB6141

@ wrote:

wrote:

I also checked and the downstream power level for my modem (-7 dBmV to -4 dBmV) is within the expected range. 

What do the SNR and the upstream power level figures look like ?

Capture.PNG