Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Help SB8200 and docsis 3.1

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 4

Hi, I have the new sb8200. Did a self activation and looks like all went well. Over 200 megs down and over 10 megs up. The problem is that the 2 blue lights do not come on, to tell me that i'm connected to DOCSIS 3.1

My firmware is D31CM-PEREGRINE-1.0.1.0-GA-01-NOSH.

I live in the 22840 zip code area. Does Comcast have Docsis 3.1 in my area? And I have Blast for my speed. 

I guess the real question is, will you get Docsis 3.1 on lower tiers, like Blast. 

Thanks for any and all help

3 REPLIES
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 2 of 4

I'm having the same results with the SB8200 and I suspect you are right that Comcast hasn't fully implemented the Docsis 3.1 standard.  If you read Arris documentation/forums it looks like the modem is backward compatible to 3.0 and being certified in this case means they are provisioning the DOCSIS 3.0 standard transmit and recieve.  I bought my SB8200 because of the 2 - 1GB ports.  Are they working for your imlementation?  Did you get two IPDADDRESSes?

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 3 of 4
"I guess the real question is, will you get Docsis 3.1 on lower tiers, like Blast."

A modem will lock on to a DOCSIS 3.1 carrier *if one is actually present on the local system* regardless of one's subscribed to speed tier.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 4 of 4

Same symptoms here in SW Florida in July 2017. New Motorola MB8600 - Comcast approved.

I am on a 150 mbit plan with no higher speed offered except fiber 2 gbit.

I agree, faster speeds with DOCSIS 3.1 does not seem to be supported here. Modem lights confirm 3.0 not 3.1

This DOCSIS 3.1 modem replaced a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. After initial automated activation, speeds were slightly slower. (I record measurements from two different URLs, a reboot of my PC, then track the average of the four runs.) The front panel lights were displayed as a 3.0, not 3.1  connection. I logged into the device's firmware. It confirmed 3.0 and more startingly, only bound to one channel down, three up. I forced a hardware RESET. Now have 24 channels down, three up. I conclude that Comcast is not 3.1 locally so the 3.1 modem is defaulting to 3.0 with more channels. Result is an apoproximate 10% higher mbit rate down and up. No I have not yet spoken with customer service, far too frustrating educating them. To Comcast's credit, once setup and correctly proviosioned, nearly bullit proof. First outage took 14 months, just two days ago.