Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Have had my wifi name/password changed not by me

Frequent Visitor

Have had my wifi name/password changed not by me

IM getting the TEXT notifications that a new device was connected to my network when I'm not even home, and when I look in my account for active devises it only showed my cell.
So as I started going through my account app and when I click on the notifications icon on the top left corner of my screen it shows a list that says different times that my Wi-Fi name and password has been changed, (witch I keep track of in a booklet anytime I change these) and I took a screenshot of a time where it was changed twice within the same minute and a few other times around that time frame. I just need to know how to figure out who this is that's doing this.
I've changed names passwords on my account on my modem settings on my Wi-Fi. I have the public Wi-Fi turned off the WPS disabled but now this is something that I'm really concerned about..
Frequent Visitor

Re: Have had my wifi name/password changed not by me

So I called Comcast 2nd tier support and he said I need to call a different department on tomorrow. But didn't think with it showing the notifications that my wifi name and password isn't worth wording about. But can't give me a reason on why I have 8 alerts on April 9th, 1 on April 14th, 1 on April 19th with all saying "changed your name and/or password" each.

And for the alerts stating "A new device was connected to your home network" were as follows:
3-28-18 Samsung-oooc5
3-29-18 Amazon te-00c4f
4-9-18 QuantaMi- edcc1
4-14-18 Hewlett-aef5
4-19-18 SamsungE- ee9d6
4-19-18 Hewlett-aef5
4-20-18 Quanta- 30033
With having one Samsung cell, and a Toshiba Laptop which I keep the wifi network card disabled because I keep it hardwired using Ethernet cord to modem.
And also the month of March data was doubled from the Feb amount that showed on my xfinity app under data usage. And with it being just after the end of April the data is already up to the March used data amount.
Anyone come across these alerts excpessily the changed name and passwords which I did not do on the date and times that's showed in the notifications.
I will try changing all passwords and resetting modem if there is a certain order to do it I would like to know.
Thank you to all that could give me some feedback..
Official Employee

Hello robertburns2015. I can assist with reviewing your modem and WiFi security settings. Please reach out to me via private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I just want to thank Joe for assisting me with who to talk with. I still haven't gotten any feedback from the security department after I sent them my firewall log. I would like to see what they found.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

In addition to resetting the wifi passwords and the modem, I suggest a couple of other measures:

1. Enable Two Factor Authentication on your account - anyone that tries to log into your online account will  prompt the system to send a unique code to your cell phone that you must enter for the login to be validated, otherwise it's denied. This will eliminate xFi as the source of the breach. 

2. You need to change the default password on the Comcast gateway ( http://10.0.0.1 , default username is admin, password is password), otherwise anyone on your network will be able to log into the gateway and change anything on it.  This will also prevent anyone within your network from making changes to the wifi settings. 

<<<< "Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman >>>>
Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation