Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Gigabit Speeds Stupid Slow

New Poster

Gigabit Speeds Stupid Slow

Hey y'all,

I just got Comcast Gigabit installed yesterday and am having trouble understanding why my upload speeds are so slow...

Plugged right into the modem (wired) I get about 900 down using the Xfinity speedtest (same results on speedtest.net) but am getting only 7-8 up maximum. I tried calling Comcast but they have no idea what the problem is. We reprovisioned the modem and everything but still can't push past around 900 down and 7 up. The 900 down is acceptable but 7 up on a 35 up plan is ridiculous.

Any help? Thank you!

Expert

Re: Gigabit Speeds Stupid Slow

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

New Poster

I am unable to do this as I set the modem to bridge mode

Expert

Does the first blue colored link not work ? If not, you can call in to a rep and ask what those figures are.

Contributor

Your router.........have you reset it? If not I would try that, also if you plugged into the modem you must reset the modem after plugging back into the router. Here's the steps I would try...

1. unplug the modem and router for 30 secs

2. plug in the modem, let it fully establish itself

3. plug in the router

Hopfully you'll get the correct upload speed, if not.....

4.  I would then do a factory restore on the router

Expert

They are getting 900 down..

Contributor

@EG wrote:

They are getting 900 down..

What does that mean?

My statement was about upload speed.........I have Motorola gear and encountered something similar.. Your comment was not needed. Thanks

Expert

For realz ? I am the person that originally engaged this poster. Maybe your comment "was not needed" ?

I could be wrong but it's not likely to be the problem. Re-booting results in a new bootfile being loaded in to the modem. At 900 Mbps down it sure looks like it is the correct one. Even if it were some kind of weird fimware glitch / corruption issue that a full reset of the router would clear up, it is far more likely that the download would be being affected. After all, there is so much more to lose with the download compared to the upload. Typically it is the first to be.

Expert

@EG wrote:

Does the first blue colored link not work ? If not, you can call in to a rep and ask what those figures are.

This may also apply;

If you do call in for the aforementioned signal stats, there are three additional signal stats that affect the upload which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.