Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Gigabit Speed Modem Signal

Regular Visitor

Gigabit Speed Modem Signal

I've seen some posts on this site that say after xfinity techs check signal strength and tinker a bit, they are able to improve download and upload performance. I have an Arris SB6190, and Nighthawk AC1800 so I think my equipment is up for the task. Currently I pay for 1000mbps tier, and even though I know the speeds are rated at peak upload and download speeds, I'm only receiving around 200mbps download and 7mbps upload. I've attached the signal telemetry and was wondering if someone could help me out.
Screenshot_20180415-090741_Samsung Internet.jpg
Expert

Re: Gigabit Speed Modem Signal

You need a DOCSIS 3.1 device to get gig speeds. Your SB6190 is a DOCSIS 3.0 device and won't be able to achieve those speeds. If you want gig speeds, you 'll have to upgrade your modem (see http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com). I don't know why they upgraded your account to gig, they should have known your modem wasn't the correct device. Smiley Sad

BTW your signal levels are too high, you'll want to knock those down with an attenuator/pad, assuming you didn't install a signal amplifier. 

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your help, I'll look into changing my speeds to the 300 tier to better fit my equipment. As for those signals, I haven't altered those at all they were set up when I moved in. Is there any harm with them being to high or low?
Expert

Too much signal is just as bad as not enough. I'd suspect that your levels aren't far enough out of spec to be an issue though. If everything is working fine, then I'd leave it alone. If you do run into issues, consider knocking down the power levels. 

Regular Visitor

Interesting, thanks for the help.