New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Gigabit Service and Arris TG3482G LAN Port Behavior

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Gigabit Service and Arris TG3482G LAN Port Behavior

Hello,

I'm a gigabit customer in the Denver area utilizing a Comcast-provided Arris TG3482G modem in bridge mode. Approximately every other day, I notice that my speed test results (via speedtest.xfinity.com) dip from their usual 800Mbps to sub-100Mbps. After digging around, I noticed that when this occurs, the LAN/Ethernet port's connection speed value (Gateway -> Hardware -> LAN) is 100Mbps. After resetting my modem, the value returns to 1000Mbps and my speed test results return to normal. Again, this behavior repeats roughly every other day, and a reboot seems to temporarily resolve the issue. Please let me know what additional information is required to investigate this issue. Thanks in advance.

Regular Visitor

Re: Gigabit Service and Arris TG3482G LAN Port Behavior

Bump. Issue occurred again this morning even after rebooting the modem last night.

comcastmodem011318.png

Contributor

You said the Gateway is set to bridge mode, do you have your own wireless router or switch? are you running speed test hardwired into the comcast modem directly? Can your computer handle a GIG? Go to the network setting and check that you LAN port is set to auto or 1.0Gb. If on auto set to 1.0 Gb. It more sounds like a issue with your computer unless you have tested with multiple device that support GIG.

Regular Visitor

The modem is in bridge mode, yes. I have an ASUS RT-AC66U wireless router. I am testing hardwired and have a fairly decent understanding of networking and CPE (I work for another ISP). The decrease in speedtest results isn't the primary issue-- it's the fact that the LAN interface, after a period of time, renegotiates to 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps. I've tried swapping known, good CAT6 Ethernet cables in and out to rule out cabling issue to no avail. After resetting the modem, the LAN interface's link speed reports correctly as 1000Mbps until some time later when it renegotiates to 100Mbps.. Resetting my wireless router doesn't resolve the issue, leading me to believe it's a problem with the modem.

Connection Expert

Possibly a firmware bug. There are boatloads of posts here from the past indicating many many firmware / chipset bugs with the Comcast supplied gateway devices.....

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

I would suggest a direct connect of your PC to the modem and see if it's still happening after a period of time. I suspect the issue is the router and not the modem.  I had to get rid of my Asus after upgrading to Gig due to it being a bottleneck capping off speeds around 250M when a direct connect yielded a proper 900+.  

Connection Expert

N.M. N.W.I....

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation