New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Gigabit Internet Speed

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 301 of 335

I just got gig service today as well and can echo most of what some people are saying about non consistant speeds.

Is there a "break in" period or something that I just need to deal with?  I seem to remember when I upgraded to the 150MB tier back in Feb I didnt get consistant 150MB speeds right away but once it did, it stuck and was consistant or if not more than 150MB at most times. So im wondering if this is the same type of situation or should I start calling comcast now?

When the tech was here he hooked up a rasbery pi device right into the left port of the modem  (XB6) and he was getting between 500 - 900 speeds on the couple tests he did, it seemed cool at the time, but when he left and I got to looking around my network I am getting wildly unconsistant speeds.  My LAN is pretty consistant sitting at 250'ish most tests, but my wireless (bridge mode direct connected to an Eero mesh network), is getting results between 50 - 100 at the device level.  I can do a test within the eero app and its around 500-600.

I am so confused and tired, lol.

Thanks for any advice.

James

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 302 of 335

James -

You're correct, something does not seem right and a call to Comcast would be a great idea.  I've had their Gigabit service for about a year in the Chicago suburbs and have never at anytime experienced any download speed less than 900 MB.  (This when Ethernet connected to my router, wireless connections in my case are about half that.)  When you call I'd mention that if you're not getting the speed that you're paying for, you're not going to pay any extra high speed surcharge.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 303 of 335

Interestingly 

If i log as existing customer i see 400Mb

but if log as new customer i see also see 2TB

Hope they are adding GBit at reasonable rate. i am hearing 79.99 -99.99 a month. 

comcast.png
Posted by
New Poster

Message 304 of 335

I was just told that Gigabit was available at my address but that I would lose support for CableCARDs and, naturally, my 2 TIVO boxes.

Could this be true? Is there a workaround?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 305 of 335
I can't see my existing offers it tells me to call comcast. Are you seeing the extreme pro under new costumer page as well? That's the only place I can check which says 200 blast and 2000 gig pro which since I live in a condo i am not Eligible to have. and BTW how far from Woodbridge are you?
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 306 of 335

as a new customer i see below attached in zipcode 08863

i today have Blast  = 200 Mbps

Existing customer show Extreme Pro = 400mbps

New customer shows Gigabit = 2000 Mbps 

According to reps, I cant order Extreme Pro or Gigabit-2000 and need things to roll out and systems to be updated for my street. was told to check weekly every Tue or Wed when they update. 

comcast2.png
Posted by
Contributor

Message 307 of 335

Ok so under  existing customer you seen 400 even though it’s not available as per reps? Interesting... maybe soon a launch will happen

Posted by
Contributor

Message 308 of 335
Just also noticed today they removed the blast 200 offer from the new Coustmer page yesterday and then but it back today ?? Wierd
Posted by
New Poster

Message 309 of 335
Got 1 gig installed a week ago, XB6. Hard wired, pulling 900, but wireless won't pull more than 150 down and that is standing next to it. Also fluctuates between 40-130 down on other occasions. Any ideas?
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 310 of 335

Christine,

Like you I get at least 900 Mbps. hardwired but less with wifi.  I get about 250 Mbps. maximum and sometimes less.  I think it depends upon what equipment you are using and mine also varies for no specific reason.  I've heard the same from others, that if you want to get close to the 1 gig speed, you've GOT to be hard wired through Ethernet.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 311 of 335
I was getting a higher dl speed with my older service package. Hmmm...I'll need to look into it further. Thanks for the reply!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 312 of 335

please check if you are using 2.4ghz or 5ghz mode. 

2.4 is longer range but has usally max which is half of 5ghz. 

Either need to find a way to see if Comcast will allow / if you can login to router to NOT choose same SSID for 2.4 & 5ghz.   * HTTP://10.0.0.1 username (admin) and password (admin).

OR
Use your Wireless Routher you can do so

https://business.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/comcast-business-wireless-gateway-overview-wi...

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 313 of 335

Full disclosure that I am a Comcast employee but not posting in any sort of official capacity.  My goal here is to share some troubleshooting I did to improve my speed tests in the hopes it may help others. 

I recently installed Gigabit to give it a try.  Installation was mainly a matter of switching out my current modem for an XB6.  The technician also performed quite a bit of tests in the house and installed an amplifier since my signal was decent but borderline.

Speed tests after the completed install showed the expected speeds of roughly 950Mb down/40 up.  This was with the technician's PC plugged directly into an XB6 port.  I could get similar speeds with a direct PC connection to the XB6.  This tells me that my PC (skylake i5 class) and embedded ethernet port have the performance needed to take advantage of the Gig speed tier. 

However, my production setup connects the PC to an unmanaged gigabit switch (Trendnet TEG-S82g) with that switch connected to a dedicated and arguably high-end wireless router (Netgear Nighthawk X8) with latest firmware.  With this connection, I started seeing speed tests of only ~300Mb down and sometimes as low as 90Mb down.  The first piece of troubleshooting attacked this issue; the bottom line is that the router had somehow negotiated a link to the XB6 at less than gigabit speed.  A simple unplugging and replugging of the XB6<-->router ethernet cord forced a re-negotiation to gigabit speed and I was able to get 400-425Mb download speeds.

At this point I upgraded all cabling to brand-new Cat6 to remove cabling problems from the equation before proceeding.  With that cabling and a direct connection to the XB6, I could get back to the 940Mb speed from before, but the normal setup was still giving about 420Mb.

Digging into Netgear forums, I noted that many users said that QoS and traffic meter needed to be turned off for best performance with Gig ISP connections.  Mine has always been off, so that was no help.  Another suggestion was to turn off MAC filtering (aka Access control), which I use heavily.  Turning off this option got me to about 537Mb down.  Removing the unmanaged switch from the equation and connecting the PC directly to the router showed effectively no change in speed.

For the last trick, I turned on 802.3ad link aggregation on the router and the PC and connected two cables from the PC to the router's aggregation ports (without the unmanaged switch in the picture).  WIth this setup, speeds increased to 630Mb. 

I'm still disappointed that I can't get to true Gig speed with full hard-wired connections, even with link aggregation.  But the issue seems to be either with the capability of the Nighthawk (a sad statement given its near-flagship status) or possibly with the XB6 and how it communicates with the router.  I find the latter hard to believe.

Edited to update:  I've finally been able to get Gig speed on this Nighthawk, and even on a single link without aggregation.  The additional feature I had to turn off was "block sites".  Ultimately it seems that the router simply does not have the horsepower to provide full Gig bandwidth if _any_ packet or other inspection features are used.  This includes QoS, access control, block sites, block services, etc.

Bottom line:  if you cannot get true Gig speed in speed tests when subscribed to the Gig speed tier, make sure it is not your PC, router, and/or cabling at fault.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 314 of 335

With that Nighthawk you also need to make sure that in settings you turn off the data meter.  That's what hung me up at half my gigabit speed.  When I turned it off, i got the same 950 Mb download speed connected to the Nighthawk as I did Ethenet connected to the modem. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 315 of 335

Good catch; I added that to my note.  I've never had traffic meter on.

Do you have the same nighthawk X8 (R8500) or some other router?  If you have the same as me, it would be interesting to compare settings and figure out why you can get the full throughput while I cannot.  That investigation may help others.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 316 of 335

I received the Nighthawk X6 with my Technicolor modem about a year ago from Comcast.  I replaced the Nighthawk a month later with the Linksys Velop Tri-Band router system, just left everything on default and it works at the full gigabit speed.  I haven't even gone into the setup, I learned my lesson from fooling with the Nighthawk.  If it works, I'll happily just leave it alone.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 317 of 335

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 318 of 335

All of a sudden our data usage has gone through the roof but we cannot determine why.  What uses data usage?  I know internet use, streaming music, etc.  What about TV?  What else?  Is just 'x' ing out of a program good enough to log out or do you have to find a button that says "Exit" or "Log Out"?  What else should I look for?  Can we have more than one phone that gives daily usage reports, and if so, how?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 319 of 335
I am seeing matinence being done in my account overnight tonight maybe it mean gig is being setup only I can hope cause still seeing blast as the highest offer I have
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 320 of 335

So let me get this straight:

#1 I've been paying for 1 GB connection from xfinity. 

I've never had this bad of internet service since broadband first got announced. This is absolutely ridiculous. As of today, its been a full 2 months of having this xfinity 'service' and i've not once had stable internet connection since. In fact, my last plan had better connection, yet still went in and out like this does.

Does this something to do with comcast? 

In fact, most other wireless services give more stable connections, yet i'm hardwired. 

I don't think i've once EVER gotten a stable download/upload speed once. Its been spiking anywhere betwen .01 (no exaggeration, i even have it on speed test) to 280 MB. I can't play any games -- like not because i'm picky, but i literally d/c every 1-2 minutes and spike to the point that if i even input anything, it'll freeze and take 5-6 seconds to be inputed.

I also have a couple of speed tests to prove my point:

(if you need ANY pictures, i'll send them... but to save time, i'm going to just jot a couple of the tests down from different websites)

Speed Test:

#1: .3/40

#2: 20/10

#3: 330/16

Speedof.me:

#1: 19.9/4

#2: 120/7

#3: 8/0 (literally d/c'd in the midst of testing)

I also have a span of 2-3 months documented on the website to show that my connection hasn't even hit passed 200 MB in 2 months. 2 MONTHS. 

This is ridiculous. In fact, i don't think i should even be paying for service like this; when our xfinity guy left, he was here for over 3 hours and never even got our internet speed to where it should be. So basically its NEVER been what we payed for. In fact, coming to this website... i've gotten 2 pages of 'DNS server can't be found/no internet service'. 

I wouldn't be complaining even if i got like 10 MB and stable connection. Its just so bad, i cannot email anyone, i cannot play games because i disconnect literally every 5 minutes, i can barely browse the web because it just d/cs in the middle of youtube videos ect.

Also, its no virus. I've ran countless scans from over 3 different programs. Please don't give me an automatic response that implies that its a virus, a computer problem, or a cable connection. I've unplugged every single cable connected to the modem, plugged my computer directly (same issues), and switched from multiple computers to literally get the same, bad connection. I'm plugged in with a Cat-6 cable, have the latest 1 GB modem xfinity said they could offer us, have drivers that give me stable 1 GB connection as a network card. My wireless has the same problem. 

Is there any fix to this? Or is the most obvious fix the best choice of simply leaving this company and choosing something else?

Can anyone help me? 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 321 of 335

jazzsingh wrote:

as a new customer i see below attached in zipcode 08863

i today have Blast  = 200 Mbps

Existing customer show Extreme Pro = 400mbps

New customer shows Gigabit = 2000 Mbps 

According to reps, I cant order Extreme Pro or Gigabit-2000 and need things to roll out and systems to be updated for my street. was told to check weekly every Tue or Wed when they update. 

Whattt? They offer you area 2GB for 149.99, we are getting charged double that in Houston for 2GB. 

Well on to my real question, if I get the 2GB plan and they run the fiber then later I decide to downgrade to 1GB, will I then get the 1gb service on Fiber or will that force me back to coax?  Does anyone know?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 322 of 335

It's nothing you've done. It's strictly COMCAST. Back in June of this year, at least for me, Comcast changed something to make it appear that you were using tons of data more than you did prior to the implementation of this 1TB data cap so you'd be more likely to pay them $50 more a month for "unlimited data". It's all a scam to get more money out of you, the customer. Many people have tried to talk to them which has been in vain. Either the person you get is off in some third world country and you can't understand them or the person that was supposed to call you back never does. Comcast is plain ans simple a very non reputable, crooked company. Now, there's your real answer. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 323 of 335

I have seen this as well, I am starting to panic as my 2 months freebie of overage is up.   I know I am a big data user (usually between 500-800GB a month, but have never gone over... All of the sudden I am seeing 1.5TB the last two months.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 324 of 335

C-Cast unable to provide lowest tier of service, how do you expect to fulfill your commitments to provide 100 times more???

comcast_ stats.jpg

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 325 of 335

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to assist you from here. Can you verify your account information with me? I would need your phone number, full name, and service address. You can private message me by clicking my name and clicking private message. Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
New Poster

Message 326 of 335

I have the same modem. Please can you tell me how to disable dynamic QoS and the traffic analyzer. Thanks in advance. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 327 of 335

I so sick of comcast giving my city junk service, we are always last to get any kind of upgrade, think im going back to an antenna and dsl.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 328 of 335

As of today checked Xfinity.com/gig it shows NJ no longer as upcoming but as finished with gigabit launch on the availbility map it’s now a red dot on the map and not an * I’m not sure if that’s correct as I am not able to get gig and I live in NJ? 

This is confusing? Why would they say launch is complete when it isn’t ???

Posted by
New Poster

Message 329 of 335

You would think Comcast would have a dedicated phone number for Gigabit sign ups.

I don't know if phone number changes by region but the number I was given for gigabit service is 877-338-5966

I waited 22 mins this morning before having to hang up.  And this I waited for 1hr 13 mins before hanging up.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 330 of 335

I contacted you, still no reply.

Also, here's some speedtests from this '1GB' speed:

lagging.pngspeedtest2.pngspeedtest6.pngspeedtest3.pngspeedtest7.pngspeedtest5.png

I also have way more speed tests to prove how bad my speeds are. 

Here's an xfinity one I currently just took to see how 'unstable' the connection is via spiking and disconnects. I also have videos of it lagging because i want all the evidence i can to prove to you guys so i can get a little bit of help... 

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/results/J916R89ZGX0GIVR

paint.png
Posted by
New Poster

Message 331 of 335

I called Xfinity to inquire about Gigabyte service. I was sold "immediate upgrade" while I was on the phone. Speed did go ~60 to ~90Mbps. I had been paying for Blast (tm) and was not happy, now I was really upset. After several attempts and "hours" to correct speed issues remotely, trip to service center, equipment swap (not upgrade), a contractor was scheduled. "Gigabyte service not available without proper equipment."  Gigabyte service cancelled, proper codes for my equipment sent while contractor on site  (I'm assuming for the Blast speed ). Now my speed is 150 plus. Should I get the daily charges for Gig service and previous Blast service payments refunded as the speed promised was not available or set up properly?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 332 of 335

Well at least in Utah my speeds are 900+Mb consistently and 45Mb up. The problem is, the ridiculous 1TB data cap. Why would you have a paying customer spend a lot more for a much faster connection and not increase (in not make unlimited) the data cap?????!!!! 
Luckily Google Fiber is near my city so its a matter of time before I say bye bye to this greedy "couldnt care less about customers" Comcast company.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 333 of 335

Hey Alan, with the Velop what WiFi speeds are you seeing? I got the same but am not seeing faster than 450 mbs - After a few hours with Linksys they told me that half of wired speeds is “acceptable”. Not very happy with that answer. 

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 334 of 335

Hi Hilton305

When connected directly via Ethernet to the Velop, I get the same 950 Mbps download speeds I get when connected directly to the Technicolor modem they provided.  When connected to my Chromebook via wifi, I get around 500 Mbps. or so.  I think you'll find that the 'half speed' comment via wifi IS pretty standard, depending upon your device.  It's exactly the same speed I received with other routers, including the Nighthawk router they provided.  I really haven't noticed anyone here commenting they received higher wifi speeds with any device or router.  

Posted by
New Poster

Message 335 of 335

Thanks for the info. Wish I’d found this forum sooner because it would have saved countless hours on the line with tech support and Best Buy must loathe me because of the amount of equipment I bought and returned this week. I kept trying to get higher wifi speeds, brought home the Orbi, Amplifi, and a Nighthawk, but settled for the Velop, which was the easiest mesh system to set up with the MB8600 that I own.