New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Gigabit Internet Speed

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 201 of 223

Thanks. Does the gateway replace both the router and cable modem? I prefer separate devices - modem + router and from what I read both th emodem and Nighthawk router are highly rated. I also read while searching for info that people say the XB6 is not giving them the same speeds.

"As stated, I just got the XB6 gateway installed and so far, not happy with the results (as compared to what others are getting). Speeds vary from 600-800 down (inconsistent) however, 30 up pretty consistently. The wireless range su_cks to say the least and was only ale to get about 300-400 down out of (standing next to the gateway). There is also no way for me to set the gateway to bridge mode which is a really big fail. I was also told that I cannot use my own modem (I had purchased an SB8200 in anticipation but haven't tried it). I know the gigabit is in initial rollout stage here in Utah and there is probably a ways to go. Let me know if you have any questions about it." - from another forum.

Will see what I get.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 202 of 223

Yeah, the gateway is three in one modem, router and phone. Bridge mode was recently allowed on it, so you could use your own router with it. Having said that you could buy your own 3.1 modem too. Comcast have been a bit iffy about allowing that though. (with Gigabit).

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 203 of 223

Don't want to buy my own modem, 3.1 modems are too expensive right now, ~$200. Otherwise I'd buy a newer modem. I do have a AC router right now but the Nighthawk X6 sounds like a big upgrade (tri-band), not sure about the XB6 in comparison.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 204 of 223

I contract Gigabit service three weeks ago. I specifically asked if I needed an additional installation and if they can provide service in my area (a few miles from Silicon Valley). They say yes. Since then, I have been trying to get the speeds. I cannot go over 150 mbs. Three xfinity crews came to my house and check all the installation that is brand new. There is no problem from the pole to my house. Finally they suggest that the comcast modem does not work properly and I will need to try a third party modem. Also they mentioned that the carriers that xfinity uses in the area cannot support the speeds. They mentioned that Comcast knew in advance that they could not provide the service but they did it for marketing reasons to beat the competition to the residential gigabit service. I have a schedule a meeting with the NBC investigation unit to run a TV special in this fraud. Hopefully you will see it in TV soon.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 205 of 223

So any news when any of the gigabit services will actually be gigabit speeds?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 206 of 223

Just had my installl done. Gave me an XB6 gateway. There are a few things I really didn't like abou the experience -

1. techs didn't really want to discuss the issues and didn't want to give me the details of the XB6. e..g I want to be able to change the default password, configure settings, see connected devices - all the usual stuff you do with a router. But they acted like it was an unusual request

2. I was told there's no bridge mode and I can't use my existing AC router. The techs also had no clue that Comcast has been giving out the Netgear router + modem, as I learnt from this thread. So do they expect all customers to only have 1 or 2 wired devices? Ridiculous.

3. I asked how I can get the advertised speeds on multiple devices and they just shrugged and said 'gigabit is for connecting multiple devices' which is of course nonsese. And you can't even connect more than 2 anyway. They just said 'most people use wifi now' as if that is any kind of answer.

4. Had no clue about port forwarding etc.

If I wasn't technically aware, I wouldn't know how to ask any of this and they'd leave me with a default connection with no way to check or do anything. As it is my home network is now crippled because i can't use a proper router, e.g. for remote access to my pc. I was really hoping for a better install experience. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 207 of 223

Rustyben wrote:
the introduction of new equipment often follows the 'professional' installs only as they work out problems. As the 'new' boxes enter the supply chain they will be widely available.

When my 1Gig internet was installed, a technician had to come out to install it even though I was using my existing cable modem.  When I received the E-mail saying that the workorder had been completed, I power-cycled my modem.  Had I not known that I also needed to reconfigure my router, I would've seen speeds of <200Meg.  When the tech came out for the install a couple of days later, he could have addressed that.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 208 of 223

What kind of router do you have and what did you have to do to it to reconfigre it?

What did the techician do that required a home visit?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 209 of 223

vadeltachi wrote:

What kind of router do you have and what did you have to do to it to reconfigre it?

Arris SB8200 cable modem and a Linksys WRT1900ACS router.  Whatever the router, Network Analyzing (Media Prioritization) needs to be turned off.

It didn't make any sense to me that he was required to come out, but at least I got his visit for only $40.  As it was, he didn't have to do anything.  Had I not known to reconfigure my router, though, I would have been a very dissatisfied customer and probably either downgraded my package or scheduled a service call.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 210 of 223

egnlsn wrote:

vadeltachi wrote:

Arris SB8200 cable modem and a Linksys WRT1900ACS router.  Whatever the router, Network Analyzing (Media Prioritization) needs to be turned off.

It didn't make any sense to me that he was required to come out, but at least I got his visit for only $40.  As it was, he didn't have to do anything.  Had I not known to reconfigure my router, though, I would have been a very dissatisfied customer and probably either downgraded my package or scheduled a service call.

that might make a difference with a speed test program if you were using some very high def 4k videos at the same time as they would keep priority over a non-priority up/download (the speed test). Other than that the change makes no operational sense to me.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 211 of 223

Rustyben wrote:

egnlsn wrote:
that might make a difference with a speed test program if you were using some very high def 4k videos at the same time as they would keep priority over a non-priority up/download (the speed test). Other than that the change makes no operational sense to me.

Whether it makes sense or not; with prioritization turned on and even with my desktop first on the list, I was seeing ~189/41Mbps.  If I'm streaming video, I'm going to be watching it, not playing on my computer.  Although, I may stream a 4k video and run a speedtest just to see the results.

With it turned off, I'm seeing mostly above 850/41 (right now, it's at 871/42 (I am streaming some music)).

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 212 of 223

egnlsn wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

egnlsn wrote:

Whether it makes sense or not; with prioritization turned on and even with my desktop first on the list, I was seeing ~189/41Mbps.  If I'm streaming video, I'm going to be watching it, not playing on my computer.  Although, I may stream a 4k video and run a speedtest just to see the results.

With it turned off, I'm seeing mostly above 850/41 (right now, it's at 871/42 (I am streaming some music)).

are you doing the speed test from a wired device?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 213 of 223

Rustyben wrote:

are you doing the speed test from a wired device?

Yes.

After my last posting, I fired up a 4k video on Youtube and ran a speedtest.  I still did better than 860/40.  I was surprised at that.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 214 of 223

anyone have this can you  tell me what its like if its good?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 215 of 223

hvnlyterror wrote:

anyone have this can you  tell me what its like if its good?

Over the past 3 1/2 weeks, my speeds have averaged 849/42Mbps, with pings of 8-11ms.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 216 of 223

Let's see, I'm averaging about 925/42 Mbps, ping 10ms.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 217 of 223

What are you guys getting when downloading big files from fast servers?

Like for example I have Blast 200/10 and I always max out out around 30MB per second.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 218 of 223

Yup I wouldn’t want to buy a modem to much $$$$ but the xb6 doesn’t launch In Union NJ market till August 24th and possibly the same day the gig srevive launch

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 219 of 223

dkinley1 wrote:

Yup I wouldn’t want to buy a modem to much $$$$ but the xb6 doesn’t launch In Union NJ market till August 24th and possibly the same day the gig srevive launch

Thanks for that info Union neighbor ! 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 220 of 223

Your welcome had a tech at my home to install an XG1V4 and he told me that cause he brought an XB3 and he had to call and ask about it and that’s what he was told Smiley Wink

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 221 of 223

gate1975mlm wrote:

What are you guys getting when downloading big files from fast servers?

Like for example I have Blast 200/10 and I always max out out around 30MB per second.

No one here can answer this simple question?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 222 of 223

I'm not sure what kind of reply you'd like.  I have Gigabit service and I download files everyday and my speed stays in the 935 - 950 Mbps. for the whole file.  If you are not getting the speed you're paying for you could have line level issues or maybe your modem was not provisioned properly.  Call 1-800-COMCAST for help.  

Posted by
Contributor

Message 223 of 223

Question for anyone who has or has recently gotten 1 gig Does Comcast make you go to a service center for the modem or make you have a tech install  with all the recent news articles  would think you can just go to service center once it launches and get a self install kit of an XB6 ? Cause it says all you Coustmer have to do is get a new modem?