Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Gigabit Internet Speed

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Discovered Throttle point for Gigabit Service with Nighthawk router

Yeah, the gateway is three in one modem, router and phone. Bridge mode was recently allowed on it, so you could use your own router with it. Having said that you could buy your own 3.1 modem too. Comcast have been a bit iffy about allowing that though. (with Gigabit).

Frequent Visitor

Don't want to buy my own modem, 3.1 modems are too expensive right now, ~$200. Otherwise I'd buy a newer modem. I do have a AC router right now but the Nighthawk X6 sounds like a big upgrade (tri-band), not sure about the XB6 in comparison.

New Poster

Gigabit Pro is a scam. Comcast is selling something that they know they cannot deliver.

I contract Gigabit service three weeks ago. I specifically asked if I needed an additional installation and if they can provide service in my area (a few miles from Silicon Valley). They say yes. Since then, I have been trying to get the speeds. I cannot go over 150 mbs. Three xfinity crews came to my house and check all the installation that is brand new. There is no problem from the pole to my house. Finally they suggest that the comcast modem does not work properly and I will need to try a third party modem. Also they mentioned that the carriers that xfinity uses in the area cannot support the speeds. They mentioned that Comcast knew in advance that they could not provide the service but they did it for marketing reasons to beat the competition to the residential gigabit service. I have a schedule a meeting with the NBC investigation unit to run a TV special in this fraud. Hopefully you will see it in TV soon.

New Poster

Re: Gigabit Pro is a scam. Comcast is selling something that they know they cannot deliver.

So any news when any of the gigabit services will actually be gigabit speeds?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Gigabit Pro is a scam. Comcast is selling something that they know they cannot deliver.

Just had my installl done. Gave me an XB6 gateway. There are a few things I really didn't like abou the experience -

1. techs didn't really want to discuss the issues and didn't want to give me the details of the XB6. e..g I want to be able to change the default password, configure settings, see connected devices - all the usual stuff you do with a router. But they acted like it was an unusual request

2. I was told there's no bridge mode and I can't use my existing AC router. The techs also had no clue that Comcast has been giving out the Netgear router + modem, as I learnt from this thread. So do they expect all customers to only have 1 or 2 wired devices? Ridiculous.

3. I asked how I can get the advertised speeds on multiple devices and they just shrugged and said 'gigabit is for connecting multiple devices' which is of course nonsese. And you can't even connect more than 2 anyway. They just said 'most people use wifi now' as if that is any kind of answer.

4. Had no clue about port forwarding etc.

If I wasn't technically aware, I wouldn't know how to ask any of this and they'd leave me with a default connection with no way to check or do anything. As it is my home network is now crippled because i can't use a proper router, e.g. for remote access to my pc. I was really hoping for a better install experience. 

Regular Contributor

Re: XG1v4 Arris TV-box (UHD tv testing)

Rustyben wrote:
the introduction of new equipment often follows the 'professional' installs only as they work out problems. As the 'new' boxes enter the supply chain they will be widely available.

When my 1Gig internet was installed, a technician had to come out to install it even though I was using my existing cable modem.  When I received the E-mail saying that the workorder had been completed, I power-cycled my modem.  Had I not known that I also needed to reconfigure my router, I would've seen speeds of <200Meg.  When the tech came out for the install a couple of days later, he could have addressed that.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Frequent Visitor

What kind of router do you have and what did you have to do to it to reconfigre it?

What did the techician do that required a home visit?

Regular Contributor

vadeltachi wrote:

What kind of router do you have and what did you have to do to it to reconfigre it?

Arris SB8200 cable modem and a Linksys WRT1900ACS router.  Whatever the router, Network Analyzing (Media Prioritization) needs to be turned off.

It didn't make any sense to me that he was required to come out, but at least I got his visit for only $40.  As it was, he didn't have to do anything.  Had I not known to reconfigure my router, though, I would have been a very dissatisfied customer and probably either downgraded my package or scheduled a service call.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Service Expert

egnlsn wrote:

vadeltachi wrote:

Arris SB8200 cable modem and a Linksys WRT1900ACS router.  Whatever the router, Network Analyzing (Media Prioritization) needs to be turned off.

It didn't make any sense to me that he was required to come out, but at least I got his visit for only $40.  As it was, he didn't have to do anything.  Had I not known to reconfigure my router, though, I would have been a very dissatisfied customer and probably either downgraded my package or scheduled a service call.

that might make a difference with a speed test program if you were using some very high def 4k videos at the same time as they would keep priority over a non-priority up/download (the speed test). Other than that the change makes no operational sense to me.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

egnlsn wrote:
that might make a difference with a speed test program if you were using some very high def 4k videos at the same time as they would keep priority over a non-priority up/download (the speed test). Other than that the change makes no operational sense to me.

Whether it makes sense or not; with prioritization turned on and even with my desktop first on the list, I was seeing ~189/41Mbps.  If I'm streaming video, I'm going to be watching it, not playing on my computer.  Although, I may stream a 4k video and run a speedtest just to see the results.

With it turned off, I'm seeing mostly above 850/41 (right now, it's at 871/42 (I am streaming some music)).

CIAO!

Ed N.
Service Expert

egnlsn wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

egnlsn wrote:

Whether it makes sense or not; with prioritization turned on and even with my desktop first on the list, I was seeing ~189/41Mbps.  If I'm streaming video, I'm going to be watching it, not playing on my computer.  Although, I may stream a 4k video and run a speedtest just to see the results.

With it turned off, I'm seeing mostly above 850/41 (right now, it's at 871/42 (I am streaming some music)).

are you doing the speed test from a wired device?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

are you doing the speed test from a wired device?

Yes.

After my last posting, I fired up a 4k video on Youtube and ran a speedtest.  I still did better than 860/40.  I was surprised at that.

CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

the gigabyte service with xfinity

anyone have this can you  tell me what its like if its good?

Regular Contributor

Re: the gigabyte service with xfinity

hvnlyterror wrote:

anyone have this can you  tell me what its like if its good?

Over the past 3 1/2 weeks, my speeds have averaged 849/42Mbps, with pings of 8-11ms.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Problem Solver

Let's see, I'm averaging about 925/42 Mbps, ping 10ms.  

Regular Contributor

What are you guys getting when downloading big files from fast servers?

Like for example I have Blast 200/10 and I always max out out around 30MB per second.

Contributor

Yup I wouldn’t want to buy a modem to much $$$$ but the xb6 doesn’t launch In Union NJ market till August 24th and possibly the same day the gig srevive launch

Connection Expert

dkinley1 wrote:

Yup I wouldn’t want to buy a modem to much $$$$ but the xb6 doesn’t launch In Union NJ market till August 24th and possibly the same day the gig srevive launch

Thanks for that info Union neighbor ! 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Your welcome had a tech at my home to install an XG1V4 and he told me that cause he brought an XB3 and he had to call and ask about it and that’s what he was told Smiley Wink

Regular Contributor

gate1975mlm wrote:

What are you guys getting when downloading big files from fast servers?

Like for example I have Blast 200/10 and I always max out out around 30MB per second.

No one here can answer this simple question?

Problem Solver

I'm not sure what kind of reply you'd like.  I have Gigabit service and I download files everyday and my speed stays in the 935 - 950 Mbps. for the whole file.  If you are not getting the speed you're paying for you could have line level issues or maybe your modem was not provisioned properly.  Call 1-800-COMCAST for help.  

Contributor

Question for anyone who has or has recently gotten 1 gig Does Comcast make you go to a service center for the modem or make you have a tech install  with all the recent news articles  would think you can just go to service center once it launches and get a self install kit of an XB6 ? Cause it says all you Coustmer have to do is get a new modem?

Service Expert

dkinley1 wrote:

Question for anyone who has or has recently gotten 1 gig Does Comcast make you go to a service center for the modem or make you have a tech install  with all the recent news articles  would think you can just go to service center once it launches and get a self install kit of an XB6 ? Cause it says all you Coustmer have to do is get a new modem?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-speeds-over-1-gbps/

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

dkinley1 wrote:

Comcast has been trying to get people to use their XB6 but people have been having success with getting their own D3.1 modem activated under gigabit. However there has been a case I saw so far where a tech was required to come out if you upgrade just to give the green light for gigabit and install to make sure there aren’t any line problems. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-service/?

currentTopicId=2a90eda0-6062-43bf-a38e-5f8b9c432ee1&currentCollectionId=2a90eda0-6062-43bf-a38e-5f8b...

Even though some of the reported Max speeds from certain devices on the gigabit plan aren’t completely true. 

Connection Expert

RobertWy wrote:

dkinley1 wrote:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-speeds-over-1-gbps/

FWIW, that article is geared more toward the "Gigabit Pro" FTTH speed tier (2 Gbps), not necessarily the Gigabit DOCSIS (1 Gbps) tier.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

The Motorola MB8600 is getting delivered today and I just signed up for Gigabit pro service (even though I know I will only be able to top out at 1gb due to router limitations). I have a 3-4 year old ASUS RT-AC68U router which theoretically can do up to 1900mbps between the two bands. Been on the fence whether or not to upgrade my router for the 1gb speed i'll get. Been thinking of waiting until a router comes out that can support port-bonding to achieve 2gbps from the modem. Thoughts?

Connection Expert

Tall-drink wrote:

The Motorola MB8600 is getting delivered today and I just signed up for Gigabit pro service (even though I know I will only be able to top out at 1gb due to router limitations). ?

FWIW, you can't get Gigabit "Pro" (2 Gbps) service with a DOCSIS cable modem. "Gigabit Pro" is delivered via an FTTH / FTTP connection.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

• Super Fast DOCSIS 3.1 with fallback to 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0
  • Supports the fastest available cable modem services, downloading 46 times faster than DOCSIS 2.0.
  • Downstream speeds up to 3.8 Gbps when supported by your cable service speed and a router that can bond Ethernet ports
  • Up to 1 Gbps upstream speeds

Taken from: https://motorolanetwork.com/mb8600.html

Even with this modem it won't be possible when bonding 2 of the ethernet ports?

Connection Expert

Not with the current DOCSIS infrastructure. And it would be a long time coming for 2 gigs via DOCSIS if they ever do decide.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thanks for the information.

I just purchased the Motorola MB8600 for 160$. Am I better off returning the modem and just renting?

Also Comcast said they put me on the gigabit pro plan. Should I drop down to the standard gigabit?

Connection Expert

You can't get Gigabit "Pro" unless they are actually able to run optical fiber to your home. Local environments / cable plant conditions / circumstances vary.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Re: Gigabit Internet Speed

ComcastChe,

I have been trying to send you a private message but have not succeeded.

I simply want to know if I am in an area that supports your 1 Gig Internet service.  I live in Palo Alto, CA.

Is there an easy way to determine this, e.g., by accessing a page that lets me type in my address, or using my Comcast account?  I have been looking for some time.

Thanks in advance!

Service Expert

Bottom of the page:

https://www.xfinity.com/gig

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Call Comcast support directly, that's how I found out my area (Tracy, CA) has Gigabit service, when I couldn't determine from just looking online.

Just had it installed last weekend and I'm getting 940/40. =)

New Poster

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried that several times and it leaves me on my account page telliing me what service I have.  Oddly, it works better on Google Chrome.

It's really a simple question. 

I will try calling them.

New Poster

I called and, at some length, had a good conversation.

I learned:

1.  1 gbs is offered in my area.

2.  They will accept the Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 modem. 

3.  [I have a Netgear Nighthawk R6 AC 3200 router that seems to be 1 gbs compatible.  Will find out.]

4.  Oddly, however, they are saying that I have to have an installer come out and put a fiber connection to my house, replacing my coax.  Only $39.95.  QUESTION:  Does the 1 gbs service require fiber into the house, or do I just use the old coax?  I am confuseed on this point.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Bob

New Poster

Gigabit service in Boston - only getting roughly half

Xfinity started advertising the gigabit tier service in the Boston area recently and I signed up for the 1Gb down / 35 Mb up package and purchased a Motorola MB8600 modem.  After activating it over the phone with an Xfinity rep, I tested the speed and got around 650Mb down this morning.  She mentioned that it may take up to 30 minutes to fully configure and to try again later.  I then had some time to come back to it in the evening but I am still getting results in the 520-625 Mbps range.  The upload is set as advertised, usually between 35-45mbps up. Is this what I should expect in the Boston area market or is there an issue and I should be able to get the 900+ that some other older markets are able to get?

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6570274133

There were some strange problems trying to register and activate the modem at first - she didn't seem to be able to send a refresh signal or automatically restart the modem from her end and eventually had me powercycle it after a few tries. Was there perhaps an issue in setting up the modem?

Problem Solver

Hi Bob,

That's weird.  I upgraded to the 1 gbs. service a year ago and absolutely no new wiring was required.  I still have the same coax that I had before and get 940 Mbps. down and 40 Mbps. up with no problem

New Poster

Thanks.

I think that Comcast still doesn't have its people trained.  This is new to them just like it is to us. 

New Poster

AlanD,

Do they charge you for the installation?  Did a tech have to come out or were you able to do the install yourself?

Thanks!

Bob

Problem Solver

HI again Bob,

To reply to your last couple of posts.  I have totally found that VERY few reps in the Comcast universe know anything about the Gigabit speed program.  I've had sales calls from Comcast over and over offering me 'special deals.'   I explain I have the service and they say, "That's no problem, I can offer you these savings."   I've learned to say, "Will you please check with your supervisor."  They leave and then 10 minutes later come back and say, "You're right, I can't offer that to you, goodbye."

Now realize my install was a year ago so things might have changed since, but in my case I did have to have Comcast install and they sent two trucks, one guy brought in the modem and the other went in the back yard just to make sure all the readings were OK  (they were, and no change was made in my wiring.)   I was charged for the install, they would not let me self-install.

Regular Contributor

rsmithjr wrote:

Oddly, however, they are saying that I have to have an installer come out and put a fiber connection to my house, replacing my coax.  Only $39.95.  QUESTION:  Does the 1 gbs service require fiber into the house, or do I just use the old coax?  I am confuseed on this point.

They did the same with me - they would not let me self install and had to send a tech out to do the install, costing me $39.95 as well. The Comcast store rep explained this as due to Tracy having a lot of problems with old wiring and making sure I get the speed I was paying for. 
I wasn't certain at first, but the tech did find a few problems with my setup that he fixed - he took out an older splitter and a right angled connector that was causing iintermittent problems. 
They didn't have to do a fiber install for me; they simply used the existing wiring.  If they did put a new fiber junction box in my home, I would've opted for Gigabit Pro instead lol.

Official Employee

Re: Gigabit service in Boston - only getting roughly half

Istaru, I've checked out your modem signals and everything looks good for the most part. I see a few T3 timeouts which is usually related to upstream issues, but I'm not seeing that in this case. Are you using a router or anything like that? Are you directly connected to your modem (ethernet)? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Frequent Visitor

Gigabit in Lancaster, PA - Maxing @ 25Mbps

Hoping that someone from Comcast can help me. This morning I called and had my service upgraded to 1Gbps from Blast. Prioir to the upgrade I was getting a solid 240Mbps download speed. After upgrading I continued to get 240Gbps. I called and spoke with the very nice tech support person who said that my existing gateway was not capable of more than 250Mbps and would need to be replaced, She told me that my local store had what I needed in stock - and said that I should swap out the modem, preferably with an XB6 (the store was showing 10+ in stock). When I went to the store immediately after they opened I was told that there is no gateway other than the XB3 despite explaining what I was told on the phone, the employee reiterated that there's no XB6 and grabbed an X3 off the shelf, added it to my account, and sent me on my way. I got home and connected the XB3, got everything up an running, and found that my previous 250Mbps connection was now maxing out at 25Mbps, regardless of whether I connected via ethernet (I tried 3 different 5e cables) or wireless. I called tech support again and spent the next hour with two different reps restarting my gateway. Eventually the rep told me that I needed a technician to come out, needed to agree to pay $60 if the issue was on my end (but refused to explain what that meant), then sent me a text asking me to agree to paying $120 for a professional installation before even letting me know when when a technician might be available. I declined and plan to go back to the store to try and get a new gateway, which I hope will work. Until this is resolved, I'm stuck paying more for the 1 Gbps plan and receiving 1/10th the speed I had before (and roughly 1/40th of the plan's speed). I could really use some guidance on what I need to do next. Do I really need the XB6 that the store won't give me (the Xfinity site shows the XB3 as a max throughput of 700Mbps - https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/wireless-gateway-compare/) - I certainly looks like I do - or should an XB3 work? What options do I have?

Thanks in advance!

Ken

[Edited to fix a few typos]

Problem Solver

Re: Gigabit in Lancaster, PA - Maxing @ 25Mbps

The XB3 is D3.0. To use the Gigabit Tier of Service you need a D3.1 device. The XB6 is a D3.1 device.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you. That's what I thought. Now I have to figure out how to get the store to give me the correct gateway.

Problem Solver

If the store can’t get it to you, I believe the employees on these forums can help to get an XB6 to you.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks. I'm going to run to the store again shortly and hope I get someone more helpful. If not, I'm hopeful a Comcast employee in the forums can help me. 

Frequent Visitor

Back at the store waiting but I've already been told that they don't have any XB8s no matter what tech support tells me and that I don't need one anyway. Now I'm waiting to swap out for another XB3 in hopes that this one will do better than 25Mbps.
Problem Solver

That won’t fix it. It will still be at 25 because XB3 are not DOCSIS 3.1. You’re probably better off getting an XB6 requested for you here on the forums.