Re: Gig service

Contributor

Re: Gigabit Internet Speed

Singapore is 278 square miles small
United States is 3.78 square miles large

Pretty easy to see why the infrastructure is easily updated in Singapore
New Poster

Re: Got my Gigabit Pro and LOVING it!

I also live in south FL.    I don't have the gigabit pro I signed up for the Gigabit.  I average around 200 Mbps on the Gigabit connection.  Highest I've seen was 400 but that was just one time I did the speed test.  I think part of the problem is this Technicolor Cable Gateway.  Seems really lacking in quality.  Also for some reason I have to clone the mac address of my PC to the router in order for the Gateway to give the router an IP.

Contributor

I was denied for gigabit pro because I’m 1900 ft from the splice and you need to be under 1700ft away. They said if someone in between me and the splice signs up I would qualify. Seems pretty dumb, because I’m basically on the complete opposite side of the splice, so if someone in between me and the splice starts the process and then I sign up, they may as well just trench the whole street and call it a day.

Also, at the same time I was denied I asked about gigabit service and I was told it should be launching on 7/5/2017. Let’s hope that date is true, because anyone in my development of 1500+ homes can already sign up for gigapower from AT&T at a cost of only $80/month. AT&T already laid fiber a year ago, so at this point Comcast is behind the 8 ball.

If anyone within Comcast is curious, I live inside Winston Trails in Lake Worth, FL 33463. I would think it would be to Comcast’s advantage to start making things happen. Our development only renewed our bulk contract with Comcast for 5 years...
Official Employee

Hi pcmichael! At this time you have to be within 1/3 of the fiber headend. We will evaluate extending that length out at a later time. However there is no eta on when/if we'll do that. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Contributor

Yes, I understand that... but I’m also trying to make Comcast aware that our entire development now has AT&T fiber running in front of our houses and it is lit, meaning everyone is eligible to get all AT&T fiber based services. Comcast stands to start losing customers if they don’t start offering competing services. It would seem it would be in Comcast’s best interest if someone a little higher up takes another look at our development (some 1500 single family homes) and starts formulating a game plan sooner, rather then later.
Official Employee

Understandable, we definitely appreciate your feedback. We have a plan in place, hopefully you will be receiving more information in the very near future saying your address is serviceable. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

gigabit internet

Hello all, I am interested in the 1Gbps internet that is being advertised in the Miami,FL aread but everytime I call comcast no one knows anything.  Has anyone in this forum living in Miami found any luck with 1Gpbs internet?

Official Employee

Re: gigabit internet

Hi Hubjin. We can help determine if the Gigabit internet is available at your address. Please send a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click private message me. In the body of his message please verify the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address associated with your services. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

Hello,

My address qualifies for Gigabit internet and I ordered it via the 800 number. The phone operator informed me that I cannot use my own equipment. However, I have a Motorola MB8600 that is listed as approved/supported for Xfinity Gigabit internet. Is there any other reason I can't use my own equipment? It would save me a service visit fee as well as equipment rental costs.

Thanks!

Official Employee

Hi p_wednesday! I'd be more than happy to confirm this for you. Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click private message me. In the body of his message please verify the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address associated with your services. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Gigabit Internet Speed

not another

Gigabit Internet Speed complaint... I'm in the fresno/tulare ca area.. with heat up too 115 degrees outages from power company I understand that but........ upgraded to gigabit only getting 300-400 down and 42 up.. specs in perfect order.. so what gives? paying alot of money for extreme 250 or even extreme 500 plans... tech's cant figure it out.. nothing wrong with boot file.. etc

after reading most posts it seems like comcast planned too early for rollout in certain markets

calling them in the morning... will post the outcome... if anyone from the comcast names on here wanna help...

speedtest.JPG
Official Employee

Hi jambat. I'm more than happy to assist you. Please send me a private message verifying the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee
Moved:

Problem Solver

I'm outside of Chicago and here's my test results  

speed.png
Regular Contributor

p_wednesday wrote:

Hello,

My address qualifies for Gigabit internet and I ordered it via the 800 number. The phone operator informed me that I cannot use my own equipment. However, I have a Motorola MB8600 that is listed as approved/supported for Xfinity Gigabit internet. Is there any other reason I can't use my own equipment? It would save me a service visit fee as well as equipment rental costs.

Thanks!

Don't take anything anyone, whether they be on this or another forum, telephone, or online chat, tells you as definitive until you go to order it. I had 2 representatives via chat, 1 via phone, and a friend of mine, who is a senior IT technician in my system tell me I could use my own modem. Bought an SB8200 and called, at which time I was told I couldn't use my own modem.  I E-mailed executive VP of Engineering for my region, and he told me the same thing -- that I couldn't use my own.

Aparently in some areas you can, though.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Silver Problem Solver

FWIW. I believe the official thing is they still regard Gig 3.1 as a trial and that is why they want you to use their equipment. You only have to read a few threads on DSL reports forum to see that some are getting their owned devices provisioned OK.

If I had bought my own, think I would be tempted to connect it after the initial install. (if they won't provision it straight off).Of course you run the risk of something going wrong with the provisioning or perhaps not getting the full speed you were before and maybe problems getting the $10 rental fee off the account after returning their gear.

Still, if the worst comes to the worst, you can always stick their gear back on...Just my 2cents.

Regular Contributor

The VP did give me an explanation, which I completely understand their argument.  However, I know people who have some of their devices configured for static ip addresses.  Myself; everythng but my Roku, computers, and mobile devices are static.  Kind of makes it hard to login to a camera or AVR or printer if you don't know what the ip address is.

Their gateway can't even be put into bridge mode.  You're basically turning your private network over to them.

Yes, the time will come when they allow other manufaturers' equipment (they have to certify other manufacturers' equipment for 1Gig speeds first, for which they have no timeline)  Until then, though, how many people will decide that their current package is fine for them?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Problem Solver

When I had my 1 Gig install last year, they provided me with the standard Technicolor TC-4400-CMT modem and a Neatgear Nighthawk X6 router.  I asked whether I could use my own router and was told "No" and "Other routers probably wouldn't work as well anyway."

A few weeks later I bought a Linksys Velop routing system and replaced the Netgear.  There were absolutely no problems, My Velop is at least as fast as their Nighthawk and I can configure it the way I want to.

I just put their Nighthawk back in the box and put it up in a closet because I know sometime at a later date they're going to want it back.  

Silver Problem Solver

Yes Alan, no reason a decent router/system shouldn't work for you. Egnisn has an XB6 gateway though and from what I understand they won't allow bridge mode yet. I was just suggesting connecting his own already approved D3.1 modem to possibly save the $10 rental and make the network more configurable. Personally I'd do it... Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Paraniod wrote:

Egnisn has an XB6 gateway though and from what I understand they won't allow bridge mode yet.

I did not get an XB6.  I just went with the 200Mbps plan.  

CIAO!

Ed N.
Silver Problem Solver

Ahh ok, LOL! Well if you do go for it, have a look at all the people using their own D3.1 modem in this thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30960001-Speed-Report-DOCSIS-3-1-Gigabit-Service-Here

Connection Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

I just got this service installed yesterday. I previously had Extreme 150 and they charged $60 for a Comcast tech to come out and juts verify that I had the right equipment for the job. He didn't do much other than switching out an old Comcast 2-way switch and put an amplifier in as I apparently was getting a weak signal.

I currently am using a Motorola MB8600 along with an Asus RT-AC68U. I quickly found out that I needed to turn off dynamic QoS as well as traffic analyzer in order to get the full speeds. Everything is working as expected now.

Just hope that Comcast comes down on the pricing as I now pay $189 for Gigabit plus unlimited data which should be a given with Gigabit internet at $139.

Problem Solver

Very important advice you gave Visism.   You DO need to turn OFF any traffic analyzer in your router, no matter what the brand in order to achieve the Gigabit speeds you are paying for.  I've never heard of a Comcast installer explaining that to the customer.  And I've heard of instances with the Nighthawk routers they provide customers where the customer will call Comcast complaining his maximum download speeds has dropped to 450 Mpbs  The installer comes back, sees the poor download speeds and provides a NEW Nighthawk, everything looks great.  He leaves, the customer turns the traffic analyzer back on and BOOM,   poor download speeds. It THEN dawns on the customer what's going on and when the analyzer function is turned off the Gigabit speed is back.  I guess most of the Comcast installers didn't know of this

(By the way, that customer I was talking about up there was me)

Regular Contributor

egnlsn wrote:

I did not get an XB6.  I just went with the 200Mbps plan.  

I went into my local service center to swap out my STB, and they told me that within the past month they started allowing owned cable modems on the 1Gig plan.  Keeping my same TV package and upgrading my internet to 1Gig will cost me an additional <$10 per month (for 1 year).  Installation is $40 (to come out and verify my levels and speeds)(still won't let us do self installs yet), give me a new STB (SSD), and be on his way.

Last night, speeds were ~850Mbps, while this morning they were running at ~950Mbps.

Comcast has finally got me to be a happy camper.

CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

How does one apply for these advanced trials? All the websites say my service area (Scranton, pa) is coming soon.
New Poster

Re: 1 gigabit availability

I've got 1Gbps through Comast (and they quote 35 Mbps but always shows up between 41-42.xx Mbps)

I've learned a lot in the past two weeks... YOU NEED GOOGLE CHROME TO REACH TOP SPEEDS

Firefox and IE won't get past 800 Mbps.

Doing an IPv6 as opposed to IPv4 DOES NOT WORK. You will get ridiculous results under 1Mbps, it's not accurate. 

ALWAYS DO IPv4 SPEEDTESTS.

DO NOT MESS WITH THE ROUTER SETTINGS IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

For some reason if you turn on Access Control in the Nighthawk x6 (The router provided for FREE with $10/mo modem rental for gigabit PRO (1Gbps d/l  /  35 Mbps u/l), you will ALWAYS GET BELOW 500Mbps.

So any tweaking of the factory settings will throw your speeds off (unless you know what you are doing or have the comcast tech walk you through it).

Talk to the "Wireless Gateway" people for tech service. NEVER TALK TO THE OUTSOURCED Comcast reps --- THEY KNOW NOTHING!

Finally I think I may be reaching my limits --- 965.31 Mbps download 41.42 Mbps upload.

On a final note when I login to my xfinity account and I look at the "internet plan" it states that I have "Gigabit Internet" although my download speed is: 986.5 Mbps and upload speed of: 35 Mbps... hmmmmm

---Pablo G.

Regular Contributor

PGBill wrote:

I've got 1Gbps through Comast (and they quote 35 Mbps but always shows up between 41-42.xx Mbps)

I've learned a lot in the past two weeks... YOU NEED GOOGLE CHROME TO REACH TOP SPEEDS

Doing an IPv6 as opposed to IPv4 DOES NOT WORK. You will get ridiculous results under 1Mbps, it's not accurate. 

For some reason if you turn on Access Control in the Nighthawk x6 (The router provided for FREE with $10/mo modem rental for gigabit PRO (1Gbps d/l  /  35 Mbps u/l), you will ALWAYS GET BELOW 500Mbps.

So any tweaking of the factory settings will throw your speeds off (unless you know what you are doing or have the comcast tech walk you through it).

Talk to the "Wireless Gateway" people for tech service. NEVER TALK TO THE OUTSOURCED Comcast reps --- THEY KNOW NOTHING!

Finally I think I may be reaching my limits --- 965.31 Mbps download 41.42 Mbps upload.

On a final note when I login to my xfinity account and I look at the "internet plan" it states that I have "Gigabit Internet" although my download speed is: 986.5 Mbps and upload speed of: 35 Mbps... hmmmmm

---Pablo G.

I'll have to give Chrome a try.  I use Edge, and am always at 850-875/~38 in the evenings and ~948/~41 in the mornings.  Ping times are always 8-11ms.

Definitely turn off IPv6 in your router.  My ping times for IPv6 are always 75-80ms and the speeds are SIGNIFICANTLY slower as compared to IPv4.  IPv6 also caused several of my cameras to go offline.

In my Linksys, I had to turn off Prioritization to achieve full speeds.  With it on, I was looking at <200Mbps.

My account indicates the same 986.5/35.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Service Expert

egnlsn wrote:

PGBill wrote:

---Pablo G.

I'll have to give Chrome a try.  I use Edge, and am always at 850-875/~38 in the evenings and ~948/~41 in the mornings.  Ping times are always 8-11ms.

Definitely turn off IPv6 in your router.  My ping times for IPv6 are always 75-80ms and the speeds are SIGNIFICANTLY slower as compared to IPv4.  IPv6 also caused several of my cameras to go offline.

In my Linksys, I had to turn off Prioritization to achieve full speeds.  With it on, I was looking at <200Mbps.

My account indicates the same 986.5/35.

Just for reference, I am using an Arris TG1682G. My data plan is 200 down 10 up.  I can test both IPv4 and IPv6 with any speed tester and I always get 235 down with both protocols using Chrome with Win10 ethernet gigabit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Regular Visitor

I recently got Gigabit installed here in Dublin, CA on DOCSIS 3.1 modem.  Immediately after the install, the speeds were around 600 MB/32 up when directly connected to router and it was fluctuating to 300MB.  A far cry from provisioned 982/32 MB.  

After tech left, new modem has been nightmare.  The download speeds are any where from 1.29 Mbps to 300 Mbps with multiple outages.  My WiFi (Eero) shows more red (complete rarity when we had previously Blast pro 200+ Mb line w/ DOCSIS 3.0)

Had a chat session with tech support, they could not figure out the problem either.  Now waiting for another tech visit next week.  

Overall not happy to pay more, pay install fee for "Gigabit Service" and not have "working" service....  

Regular Visitor

Hi there,

Just self-installed a Motorola MB8600* for Gigabit at my home yesterday. http://speedtest.xfinity.com/ over a wired connection** is showing only 75-80 mbps download*** consistently all day yesterday and today. Assistance in getting gigabit speeds would be great, please!

Thanks!

* "Motorola Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem, Model MB8600, plus 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0, Certified by Comcast XFINITY".

** Tried both directly connected to modem and via a router, on gig ethernet.

*** Upload speed seems as-advertised, around 40mpbs.

Contributor

If you haven't, I'd try another device to see if you get same result (ie plug in a different pc and test).
Then, I'd confirm with tech support they provisioned your speeds correctly.
I had to have a tech come out and do something outside (something about switching an outlet to allow the higher speeds over the coax).
Good luck.
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion. I get the same result under the same conditions on a second PC.

Recommendations for the best way to contact them and ask about provisioning? I had seen a number of Comcast employees responding on these forums and was hoping that talking here was an option, since live chat/phone always take a very a long time.

Thanks!

Contributor

same issues here in tulare ca... post modem signal levels...

3.1 may not be active.. I is told 3.0 can do 1g/1g im seeing around 500/40 on my node

Contributor

Good question I would love to know they started launching in NJ and expect to be fully ready in a few weeks let’s see if that happens ?

Problem Solver

Actually. I believe it was just recently launched in Trenton according to typing Comcast into google and clicking news and scrolling down. From the news doc I read it says Atlantic and Cape May counties also have it and the rest of the state within the coming weeks. Here was the links I used.

http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/community/business/article_2757a96c-6c8e-11e7-aa65-7fa19075193b.h...

http://www.trentonian.com/general-news/20170718/comcast-introduces-gigabit-internet-service-in-trent...
Contributor

Correct let’s see if it’s statewide in a few weeks? Like stated

New Poster

I transitioned over to Gigabit today and was of the impression that it would require a new gateway.  The Xfinity retail store gave me a Technicolor DPC3941T, which I believe is the exact same modem I already have (I'm at work and haven't gone home to check).  It explicitly says on the device that it is DOCSIS3.0.  Does Gigabit not require DOCSIS 3.1?  If so, how will I get the speed I'm paying for out of the modem they gave me?

Connection Expert

The 3941 will NOT deliver gigabit speed. Bring it back.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Since everyone at Comcast seems to be clueless about the actual hardware I need, but they do seem to agree that I have the wrong hardware, do you have information on the equipment they need to get to me for this installation?  I know it needs to be DOCSIS 3.1, but I can't seem to find anything on their website that talks about their leased equipment.  I can find information on retail equipment I can purchase.

Service Expert

I would try Customer Service if I wanted gigabit.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-service/

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Discovered Throttle point for Gigabit Service with Nighthawk router

Hey All,

For those of you who have recently upgraded to the Gigabit service with Xfinity and received the combo Technicolor modem and Nighthawk wifi-router, this can apply to you.

One of the settings in the Nighthawk router is Dynamic QoS.  The following is from the Router help center:

Dynamic QoS improves online gaming and online streaming quality by prioritizing Internet bandwidth usage. When the router detects online gaming and online streaming traffic, the router tries to limit background traffic such as BitTorrent or FTP downloads to improve gaming and streaming. 

There are two settings for configuring your Internet Bandwidth:

Internet Bandwidth - Let Speedtest detect my Internet bandwidth (recommended): Accurate Internet bandwidth is required for Dynamic QoS to work properly. The router automatically runs Speedtest the first time you enable Dynamic QoS. Click the Speedtest button to recheck your bandwidth. Avoid any Internet activity while Speedtest is running.

Internet Bandwidth - I want to define my internet Bandwidth: If you know your Internet bandwidth, you can enter it manually here. The maximum value is 1000.00.

I have found that when this setting is enabled it will limit the overall Up\Down speeds based on what it is configured for.  Now the Speedtest option, unfortunately, doesn't let you choose what host to connect to so for me it was only pulling 260 Mbps Down and 30 Mbps Up.  So when I run Speedtest on my PC I end up getting roughly the same results. Considering that my actual range in usually 900+ up and 35+ that is quite throttled down.  However, if I set the Bandwidth manually to 900 Down and 30 Up, then on my speedtest I end up getting 500+ Down and 30ish Up.  So the bandwidth is still throttled but is significantly higher.

If you have any questions let me know and I will try to answer them the best I can.

Thank you, 

John

Regular Contributor

Re: Discovered Throttle point for Gigabit Service with Nighthawk router

CaptPolarBear wrote:

Hey All,

For those of you who have recently upgraded to the Gigabit service with Xfinity and received the combo Technicolor modem and Nighthawk wifi-router, this can apply to you.

I end up getting 500+ Down and 30ish Up.  So the bandwidth is still throttled but is significantly higher.

So, if we're paying for 1Gig, we should be happy with 500Meg?

CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

Im glad I ran into this thread. I just ordered the gigabit and I am getting 30/5 Down/Up. I used to have 180/24 all day even on wifi. They are coming to my place tomorrow to see whats going on, I just want to make sure that my docsis 3.0 modem can handle that. Netgear CM600 which sould be capable of 960Mb. Anything else I should know? TIA!

Connection Expert

You need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem for gigabit.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Have an appointment for gigabit install tomorrow. I have a few questions -

1. There is no new cabling etc involved right?

2. Does the speed depend on distance from the node (like ADSL) or am I guaranteed the advertised speeds?

3. Does Comcast supply a modem as well as wifi AC router? Earlier in thread people said they give you a Nighthawk X6. Can someone confirm this as well as that total rental for both will be $10?

Thanks

Problem Solver

Hi Adent,

Here's what happened in my case.

There were two different trucks that showed up for my install.  The first crew checked the cabling.  They did NOT need to install anything additional at all, they just went outside to make sure that all signal levels were good.  They did change a couple of connectors and said that everything was OK.

The second crew installed my modem and the Nighthawk router.  One of them made a mysterious call to a secret Comcast number and activated the modem.  

I think if your signals are OK you should get the advertised speed (I certainly did.)  There's no worry about "distance from a node."  

As to your final question, as I said above I received a Technicolor modem as well as a Nighthawk X6.  Since I have Comcast telephone service I kept my old Comcast gateway for that, so I have THREE Comcast devices for $10 a month total price. 

Also, please realize that my install was a year ago, and things may have changed since.

Silver Problem Solver

To add to Alan's post, they have started giving out the new XB6 3.1 gateway now, so you may get one of those, for the same 10 bucks...

Frequent Visitor

Thanks. Does the gateway replace both the router and cable modem? I prefer separate devices - modem + router and from what I read both th emodem and Nighthawk router are highly rated. I also read while searching for info that people say the XB6 is not giving them the same speeds.

"As stated, I just got the XB6 gateway installed and so far, not happy with the results (as compared to what others are getting). Speeds vary from 600-800 down (inconsistent) however, 30 up pretty consistently. The wireless range su_cks to say the least and was only ale to get about 300-400 down out of (standing next to the gateway). There is also no way for me to set the gateway to bridge mode which is a really big fail. I was also told that I cannot use my own modem (I had purchased an SB8200 in anticipation but haven't tried it). I know the gigabit is in initial rollout stage here in Utah and there is probably a ways to go. Let me know if you have any questions about it." - from another forum.

Will see what I get.