New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Gigabit Internet Speed

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 101 of 122

This is really surprising.  As EG suggested, I powercycled the modem whenever I tried a different router and each one worked fine.   I don't know what's going on there in Atlanta.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 102 of 122

Can someone from Comcast check my form?  I put an a request for gigabit service via the form over 2 months ago and have not received a response.  I just completed the form again but would like to ensure it was submitted as I did not receive an email.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 103 of 122

FWIW, this is mainly a customer to customer type of help board. You are not necessarily talking directly to their tech support / customer service dept. here. Call them up and ask. 1-800-comcast.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor
Message 104 of 122

@ComcastZach, I've been trying for about a year to sign up for Gigabit Pro - do you have any advice?

I've been told that the nearest fiber splice point is ~300 feet from where I live. We also already have empty conduit installed which Comcast could use to run fiber with minimal effort. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 105 of 122

Do both tiers of Gigabit service have no data cap?  Or is it only the Gigabit Pro?

XI Gigabit (1000 Mbps)
XI Gigabit Pro (2000 Mbps)

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 106 of 122

The 1000 Mbps service is delivered via DOCSIS coax cable (the same as all the original DOCSIS service is / was) and is subject to the cap.

The 2000 Mbps service is delivered via a direct Fiber To The Home (FTTP) connection (not available in all areas). It is currently not subject to the cap; 

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/02/comcast-2gbps-fiber-available-to-18m-homes-gigabit-cable-com...

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 107 of 122

Here's hoping we see testing in the MN market, I've got a rack and 10gig switching to abuse Smiley Happy

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 108 of 122
Question I was told the 1GBPS can't be installed in a condo WHY not it's using existing wires? Can anyone confirm ?
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 109 of 122
*Technically* the gigabit service can be had where you are as long as the local system has been upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1 and you are using a DOCSIS 3.1 capable modem

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 110 of 122
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 111 of 122
ComcastJessie, ComcastZach or someone else; Could you find out which cable modem will be used in the Salt Lake City, Utah system? Netgear or Arris/Touchstone?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 112 of 122
Posted by
Visitor

Message 113 of 122

Hello everyone any idea when this 1 GIG service will come to Maryland DC area IE Columbia, MD.

E

Posted by
Visitor

Message 114 of 122

I live just outside of Ann Arbor Michigan. I know Detroit and southeast Michigan are one of the test markets so I am wondering when XI Gig service will be available for me to try. I have already upgraded to an SB8200 D3.1 modem so from an infrastructure perspective, I think I am set. I just need someone to flip the switch.

Can anyone help?

@ComcastZach 

Posted by
Administrator

Message 115 of 122

Hi realstuart -- At this time we don't have any set dates for 1 Gig expansion into the Ann Arbor area. We do encourage you to keep checking this site http://www.xfinity.com/gig for any announcements regarding 1 Gig service. I also want to let you know that we are not allowing Customer Owned modem usage for 1 Gig service. The only approved device is a Comcast Leased modem and router.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 116 of 122

I was told Indianapolis, IN would be getting 1Gig service in early 2017. Any idea when Indy and the surrounding area will be getting 1Gig service?

Posted by
Administrator

Message 117 of 122

IndyWaggs -- We do not have a set launch date for Indianapolis area yet. We are still planning on launching in this area. We appreciate your patience while we get everything setup for this.  

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 118 of 122

I checked site it show's south florida has gig service. Any new's on when Miami area could get it ?

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 119 of 122

Jessie,  First and foremost, I have been a loyal Comcast  customer in my area for over 17 years. I have seen some very positive changes in service, however at a price. I currently pay, and have paid, significantly more for these additions, so I will again state that this all came at a significant cost to the, now Xfinity, customer. I am, and always have been interested in bandwidth. I have a vendor in Singapore, who laughs at our technology infrastructure, as he has had gigabit for several years, now.(they're moving to 10 gig, soon)  He laughs, and states that they feel we, are the "third world country".  That being said, the gigabit service you are touting, Jessie, is asynchronous as DSL, and the upload is nowhere near what it should be.  1 gigabit upload should be the target, and at the very least should be 300 meg. Considering the upload channels available in current cable modems, this is absolutely possible.  You've rebuilt the "head end", several times in our area. Why not overbuild it, one of those times? My conspiracy theory is that some entity you folks deal with on the television side, does not want the consumer to have that kind of bandwidth in the U.S.  Data caps, I believe were put in place, as a way to keep streaming competition from disrupting your television business model.  Gigabit Pro, I feel, is only a publicity stunt, and Comcast knew the general public would never justify the $1000 install, and the $299/mo fee. Also, one would need to invest in a very expensive 10 gig network on premises to take advantage of this package. Jessie, you call this Gigabit Internet an "awesome new service". Well, it's $140, over and above the X-1 television package I currently have. Certainly not a good value, and the $70 price was redacted quickly, after there was a hiccup in the rollout of Google Fiber in Chicago.

My apologies, if I sound a bit disenfranchised with all this. While you (Comcast) state that you value your customer's opinions.... Even enough to add this forum. You seem to want your customers to know all the new voice commands, available on the X-1 remote (please, no more voice remote adverts!), more than answering the "elephant in the room".... Affordable 1gig UP AND DOWN service. When will you provide this service, affordably? Remove data caps!! You have the fiber nodes. You have 0 loss RG-11, then RG-6, that will carry plenty of bandwidth to get the job done. So, other than "because you don't have to", why is Xfinity not listening to what the customers actually want?  

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 120 of 122

I'm in Chicago.  I have had 1GB speed download since September 2016.  Wondering what is the timeline for increasing upload speed, thank you. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 121 of 122

jmil62 wrote:

You have 0 loss RG-11, then RG-6,

There is no such thing as "0-loss" coaxial cable.  Even fiber is not a "0-loss" medium.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 122 of 122

Is the service available in Salt Lake City, Utah.  I just saw a post elsewhere that suggests that it is.

CIAO!

Ed N.