Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Gigabit Internet Speed

New Poster

Re: Gig service

Can someone from Comcast check my form?  I put an a request for gigabit service via the form over 2 months ago and have not received a response.  I just completed the form again but would like to ensure it was submitted as I did not receive an email.

Connection Expert

FWIW, this is mainly a customer to customer type of help board. You are not necessarily talking directly to their tech support / customer service dept. here. Call them up and ask. 1-800-comcast.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

@ComcastZach, I've been trying for about a year to sign up for Gigabit Pro - do you have any advice?

I've been told that the nearest fiber splice point is ~300 feet from where I live. We also already have empty conduit installed which Comcast could use to run fiber with minimal effort. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

New Poster

Do both tiers of Gigabit service have no data cap?  Or is it only the Gigabit Pro?

XI Gigabit (1000 Mbps)
XI Gigabit Pro (2000 Mbps)

Connection Expert

The 1000 Mbps service is delivered via DOCSIS coax cable (the same as all the original DOCSIS service is / was) and is subject to the cap.

The 2000 Mbps service is delivered via a direct Fiber To The Home (FTTP) connection (not available in all areas). It is currently not subject to the cap; 

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/02/comcast-2gbps-fiber-available-to-18m-homes-gigabit-cable-com...

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Here's hoping we see testing in the MN market, I've got a rack and 10gig switching to abuse Smiley Happy

Contributor

Question I was told the 1GBPS can't be installed in a condo WHY not it's using existing wires? Can anyone confirm ?
Connection Expert

*Technically* the gigabit service can be had where you are as long as the local system has been upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1 and you are using a DOCSIS 3.1 capable modem

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert
Moved:

Regular Contributor

ComcastJessie, ComcastZach or someone else; Could you find out which cable modem will be used in the Salt Lake City, Utah system? Netgear or Arris/Touchstone?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Service Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Hello everyone any idea when this 1 GIG service will come to Maryland DC area IE Columbia, MD.

E

New Poster

I live just outside of Ann Arbor Michigan. I know Detroit and southeast Michigan are one of the test markets so I am wondering when XI Gig service will be available for me to try. I have already upgraded to an SB8200 D3.1 modem so from an infrastructure perspective, I think I am set. I just need someone to flip the switch.

Can anyone help?

@ComcastZach 

Admin1

Hi realstuart -- At this time we don't have any set dates for 1 Gig expansion into the Ann Arbor area. We do encourage you to keep checking this site http://www.xfinity.com/gig for any announcements regarding 1 Gig service. I also want to let you know that we are not allowing Customer Owned modem usage for 1 Gig service. The only approved device is a Comcast Leased modem and router.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Regular Visitor

I was told Indianapolis, IN would be getting 1Gig service in early 2017. Any idea when Indy and the surrounding area will be getting 1Gig service?

Admin1

IndyWaggs -- We do not have a set launch date for Indianapolis area yet. We are still planning on launching in this area. We appreciate your patience while we get everything setup for this.  

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

I checked site it show's south florida has gig service. Any new's on when Miami area could get it ?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Gigabit Internet Speed

Jessie,  First and foremost, I have been a loyal Comcast  customer in my area for over 17 years. I have seen some very positive changes in service, however at a price. I currently pay, and have paid, significantly more for these additions, so I will again state that this all came at a significant cost to the, now Xfinity, customer. I am, and always have been interested in bandwidth. I have a vendor in Singapore, who laughs at our technology infrastructure, as he has had gigabit for several years, now.(they're moving to 10 gig, soon)  He laughs, and states that they feel we, are the "third world country".  That being said, the gigabit service you are touting, Jessie, is asynchronous as DSL, and the upload is nowhere near what it should be.  1 gigabit upload should be the target, and at the very least should be 300 meg. Considering the upload channels available in current cable modems, this is absolutely possible.  You've rebuilt the "head end", several times in our area. Why not overbuild it, one of those times? My conspiracy theory is that some entity you folks deal with on the television side, does not want the consumer to have that kind of bandwidth in the U.S.  Data caps, I believe were put in place, as a way to keep streaming competition from disrupting your television business model.  Gigabit Pro, I feel, is only a publicity stunt, and Comcast knew the general public would never justify the $1000 install, and the $299/mo fee. Also, one would need to invest in a very expensive 10 gig network on premises to take advantage of this package. Jessie, you call this Gigabit Internet an "awesome new service". Well, it's $140, over and above the X-1 television package I currently have. Certainly not a good value, and the $70 price was redacted quickly, after there was a hiccup in the rollout of Google Fiber in Chicago.

My apologies, if I sound a bit disenfranchised with all this. While you (Comcast) state that you value your customer's opinions.... Even enough to add this forum. You seem to want your customers to know all the new voice commands, available on the X-1 remote (please, no more voice remote adverts!), more than answering the "elephant in the room".... Affordable 1gig UP AND DOWN service. When will you provide this service, affordably? Remove data caps!! You have the fiber nodes. You have 0 loss RG-11, then RG-6, that will carry plenty of bandwidth to get the job done. So, other than "because you don't have to", why is Xfinity not listening to what the customers actually want?  

Regular Visitor

I'm in Chicago.  I have had 1GB speed download since September 2016.  Wondering what is the timeline for increasing upload speed, thank you. 

Regular Contributor

jmil62 wrote:

You have 0 loss RG-11, then RG-6,

There is no such thing as "0-loss" coaxial cable.  Even fiber is not a "0-loss" medium.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Regular Contributor

Is the service available in Salt Lake City, Utah.  I just saw a post elsewhere that suggests that it is.

CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

Can someone from Comcast please explain to me why on the future gig map I don't see any of the northeastern states as a future implementation? I live in Columbia, MD between DC and Bmore and looking at that map from Maryland all the way up to NY no gig internet is coming. 

Over the last six months a local company RCN has gig in the dc metro area and a few weeks ago Verizon FIOS just announced gig internet and my sister and brother who live in Silver Spring, md just signed up for the service. What are you people doing at Comcast. Nobody seems to know nothing, 

Regular Contributor

Why do I have to use a Comcast provided cable modem for gigabit internet?  I had 4 Comcast representatives (2 online chat, 1 via phone, my local Comcast Senior IT Technician (a friend)) tell me that I could use my own (Arris SB8200).  When I called to upgrade, I was told that I HAD to lease from Comcast -- using my own was NOT an option.  That upgrade didn't happen.

What gives???

CIAO!

Ed N.
Problem Solver

Those people were misinformed. Since it is still in trailing period, they will only let you rent the gigabit modem from them.
Connection Expert

FWIW, there are some posters on the DSLR Comcast Forum reporting that they had success with getting their Arris SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 straight cable modems provisioned for gigabit service. YMMV.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I didn't realize that it was just in trials -- there has been nothing suggesting that. That could explain it, though.  I just E-mailed my regional VP of Engineering about it (had him in my address book)(why are his people so misinformed, and why can't we use our own, compatable equipment).  I'll see what he tells me .

I hadn't caught that in DSLR.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Contributor

35Mbps.... Yay everyone clap cause we got 35mbps. Wow that is fantastic considering Verizon has been providing upload speeds around 100-150mbps for a while now. Way to go Comcast, you guys surely know what us consumers want. I have Xfinity Blast and get a big jaw dropping 12mbps upload. Wow I feel like a special person. Well I get 240mbps down so I can stream 4K within multiple rooms but when you want to upload or stream in full 1080p HD, you get buffering issues on the viewers end because 12mbps just can't handle it. Can't wait to leave Comcast when I move out of my Apartment.
Problem Solver

Thanks to DOCSIS 3.1 right around the corner that could and might change.
Regular Visitor

I was told the same thing about not being able to use the SB8200. I told them they were wrong since it is a D3.1 modem and officially approved by Comcast to use. They also tried to tell me that it has a $199 install fee. I asked why, because if I had my own D3.1 modem, they should simply have to provision the modem. They told me they can't provision the modem.

Then she relooked and told me that it's actually not available in my area(Denver) quite yet. It launched 3 days ago, but it's not in my part of town. She said it might be available in 12-14 weeks, but that's just a guess on her part. 

Regular Contributor

ChristPuncher69 wrote:

I was told the same thing about not being able to use the SB8200. I told them they were wrong since it is a D3.1 modem and officially approved by Comcast to use.

While the SB8200 is approved for use in a Comcast system, it has not been certified by them for 1Gig speeds.  They are evaluating retail devices right now, and will be working on certifying them, but as of right bow, the XB6 is the only one they will use for 1Gig service.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Connection Expert

egnlsn wrote:

but as of right bow, the XB6 is the only one they will use for 1Gig service.

AFAIK, they are also currently installing the Technicolor TC4400 straight cable modem and Nighthawk R8000 stand-alone router for the DOCSIS based Gig service.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Silver Problem Solver

Yeah, that and the TC 4400 (or whatever it was) and seperate router they already gave out....The XB6 from early reports sounds to be basic, in that the admin tool is limited (as all Comcast gateways), they don't even allow bridge mode yet..

You only need to look at DSL reports to see that some (1 or  2 Smiley Happy ) have had their retail device provisioned for service with Gigabit, why is that?

Regular Contributor

EG wrote:

egnlsn wrote:

but as of right bow, the XB6 is the only one they will use for 1Gig service.

AFAIK, they are also currently installing the Technicolor TC4400 straight cable modem and Nighthawk R8000 stand-alone router for the DOCSIS based Gig service.

That may be the case, just not in my region.  What I wrote came from the VP of Engineering for my region (intermountain).

CIAO!

Ed N.
Connection Expert

O/k fair enough thanks. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I don't understand why they're forcing rental modems to be used. I could completely understand if you didn't have a D3.1 modem to use or your 3.1 modem wasn't approved to be used on their system. If it adheres to the 3.1 standard, shouldn't it be able to be provisioned like any other approved Comcast modem? What does the tech do for $200; does he simply bring the equipment, plug it in, and call and have them provision the modem? I don't need the X6 router since I already have an X8 router. I should basically be set and just need a provision with my X8 router and SB8200 modem. 

Frequent Visitor

when are we gonna get news or update about the anvace gate way xb6 

New Poster

Docsis 3.1 (Xfinity Gig Service) in Kansas City Metro Area

Any update when Docsis 3.1 (Xfinity Gig) service will be available in the Kansas City/Independence metro area?

- Yes I have filled out the website information.

- Billing Portal shows to call the toll free number for Gig service and when I have called they have no information

- Initial publications/readings in the area showed 1Q 2017 for deployment but we are passed that.

Thanks!

Contributor

Re: Docsis 3.1 (Xfinity Gig Service) in Kansas City Metro Area

We have the same thing here is Saint Paul Mn. The portal says its available, they are trenching in high speed cable every where ( orange conduit ) and running new cable lines. The closest i can get is a $16 modem fee and some thing about gigabit pro and am told it is docsis 3.1 when i know it is fiber. Waiting for the call back from the fiber sales team to tell me it will be an arm and a leg Smiley Sad

Connection Expert

Re: Docsis 3.1 (Xfinity Gig Service) in Kansas City Metro Area

FWIW, their gigabit service is delivered via DOCSIS 3.1 / coax cable. The 2 gig service will be delvered via fiber (FTTH) if one can get it.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I don't get why the entire process surrounding GIgabit Pro is so frustrating.

Every time I call, I'm told that yes, Gigabit Pro service is available in my area, but the nearest loop is too far away.

But when I ask where the nearest loop is, they never have an answer.

Surely someone has the maps and can answer that question; I've seen the crews laying fiber down the street and they confirmed they were indeed contracting for Comcast.

More frustrating is the second part of the answer - "call us back in six months and try again." Really, they can't keep a list of interested customers?

Regular Visitor

I've got an installer coming tomorrow for gigabit internet and I don't have any devices capable of a gigabit at the moment (gigabit card coming via Amazon but will arrive too late/current one is 100mbit). Will the installer have a laptop with a gigabit card to test the new installation's speed with? Thanks in advance. 

Regular Contributor

KCChiefsFan wrote:

I've got an installer coming tomorrow for gigabit internet and I don't have any devices capable of a gigabit at the moment (gigabit card coming via Amazon but will arrive too late/current one is 100mbit). Will the installer have a laptop with a gigabit card to test the new installation's speed with? Thanks in advance. 

I would expect him to.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Official Employee

Hi KCChiefsFan. I see your installation for Gigabit internet has completed. How did things go for you? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee
Moved:

Regular Visitor

Since I already had 300mbit service the installation was just a matter of plugging the new modem in. I'm seeing 970 megabit on speed tests so exactly what was advertised. Thanks for your assistance. 

Official Employee

Glad to hear that! You're very welcome. Let us know if you need anything else. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

KCChiefsFan wrote:

Since I already had 300mbit service the installation was just a matter of plugging the new modem in. I'm seeing 970 megabit on speed tests so exactly what was advertised. Thanks for your assistance. 

How much did they charge you to plug the modem in for you? Was it $199?

Problem Solver

Is there any Gig speed update for the whole Garden State (NJ) system? It does say this state is an upcoming location but i was wondering if there is date for it yet.

Official Employee

jweaver0312, New Jersey is an upcoming Gigabit area. Please check outhttps://www.xfinity.com/gig for updates. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee
Moved: