Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Gigabit Internet Speed

Frequent Visitor

Re: Gigabit Internet Speed - router and speed troubleshooting

Here they are! I went directly off the MB8600 to my dell laptop and the best reult was about 650 down using speedtest.net. Comcast and DSL reports were around 300-350 down.

Problem Solver

Do you meet the requirements at the up to 1Gbps section of this: https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-service/
Frequent Visitor

Yes I should as the test was done on a Dell Laptop E6530 upgraded from Win7 to 10. Has a core-I5 CPU and SSD hard drive. I used a Cat 6 cable plugged directly into the MB8600. I read through the requirements and look like I should be ok.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6820054645

Problem Solver

Just asking since the Firefox screenshot looked like Win7 still. Are the drivers up to date?
Frequent Visitor

Ok for clarification I got the screen cap off my Windows 7 Dell E6530 and my Windows 10 laptop is a E6540. The E6540 I plugged direct into the MB8600 with a Cat 6 cable. Sorry for any confusion. Smiley Happy

Connection Expert

1Starbrite wrote:
The other possible issue is the amplifier mounted in my condo? Is this rated for Gigabit? Would Comcast be responsible for replacing if it is not rated? 

FWIW. To answer that question, the amp is not "rated" for speeds. Nor does it need to be. It would not hamper your speed capabilities directly.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Re: Gigabit Internet Speed

Just saw gig was available in my area so I signed up for it I will let you know the install goes
Regular Contributor

It's a beautiful thing.
unnamed.png

Now I have to work on getting a few more devices on Ethernet or at least 3x4 MIMO.
Also, it seems like gigabit has limited advangages.  For example I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft last night and it downloaded a only 3Mbps.  Really that has nothing to do with Gigabit as even on a 25Mbps connection that's terrible.
I download the same image the next day at work where we have Gigabit and that same image downloaded at an average of 100Mbps.  So does Comcast have a bottleneck to wherever MS hosts their images?  I guess I have to try at a different time of day to know for sure.
I know it wasn't my connection because fast.com and Speedtest.net showed 900+ Mbps.  Fast.com (Netflix) is colocated on Comcast's network.
I have to ask myself if Gigabit is going to do me any more good than the 250 I had before which was already faster than a lot of services.  I guess handling simultanous streams/downloads would be one.  I also have yet to even attempt a large game update on a PC or console and I have no idea what those server farms serve at.
Still, very happy we're hooked up and working. Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Gigabit Pro in Houston and surrounding areas

I currently have the Extreme 250 internet which is 250 mbps down and 25 mbps up. Would love to get the gigabit or gigabit pro service upgrade. Has anyone from Houston been blessed with gig service yet? What steps did you take to get it up and running and how's the experince been so far? (Comcast has contract with my Apartment complex, I believe - so they enjoy somewhat of a monopoly.)

Thank You Smiley Happy

Update as of 12/04/2017

Great news! Received a phone call today to inform me that I do qualify for gigabit pro upgrade. Unfortunately my phone managed to die just before the call came in so it went to my voice mail. Calling them tomorrow to get the deets. Will have more updates tomorrow.

Regular Contributor

Re: Gigabit Pro in Houston and surrounding areas

Gigantic wrote:

I currently have the Extreme 250 internet which is 250 mbps down and 25 mbps up. Would love to get the gigabit or gigabit pro service upgrade. Has anyone from Houston been blessed with gig service yet? What steps did you take to get it up and running and how's the experince been so far? (Comcast has contract with my Apartment complex, I believe - so they enjoy somewhat of a monopoly.)

Thank You Smiley Happy

since your in an apartment or condo like I am you could not get Gigabit Pro. Only 1GBPS Gigabit call 1-800-Comcast and speak with billing they can check to see if it's available that's what I did they signed me up and got me set up with a tech appointment to have a technician install an XB6 Modem for gigabit service they will be at my house tomorrow between 7-9am

Regular Contributor

Re: Gigabit Internet Install?

question to anyone who got gigabit did the technician give you a cat 6 or 7 ethernet cable for your PC/MAC or did you have to buy them yourself? because you need them to get the proper speed from the modem to the pc

Frequent Visitor

Taylor what is your equipment getting you top speeds? My best average is 640 x 42 on speedtest. Fast.co shows 400 and my signal levels are fine. I guess a tech visit is in order.

Mine HP Procurve 1400-24G switch- Ubiquiti Edgerouter X- Motorola MB8600

I just wired jacks throughout my condo with CAT 6A cable (650 MHZ) with all jacks and cables being at least CAT 6 (most 6A).

Smiley Wink

Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

yesterday 10-5, i see that my area NJ 08863 the website updated and Gigabit is available.

$105 month , $59 Install fees. No commitments.  scheduled for next week.

Regular Contributor

jazzsingh wrote:

yesterday 10-5, i see that my area NJ 08863 the website updated and Gigabit is available.

$105 month , $59 Install fees. No commitments.  scheduled for next week.

Yup had it installed Saturday love the service so far $30 extra a month and $39 install fee the tech took a longer time to come to me as he had to pick up the xb6 modem from another driver but he was there 20 mins in and out.

Still waiting to get cat 7 cables then I will get the full speed of the modem on my pc

all and all service is great so far

DE35CBAA-3559-4722-9229-A2F583AD2744.jpeg
Regular Contributor

@ ,

Modem: Arris SB800, Router: Asus RT-AC86U.

I may have run that posted test bypassing the router going directly to the cable modem but I don't remember.  I know I see very similar results using ethernet through the router (940+) even on an across the house run using Cat 5e through a gigabit switch (I think it's a TP-Link 16-port Gigabit switch I have out there in the garage.)

It sounds like your equipment should be fine.  All I can suggest is wiring connecting a computer directly to the cable modem using Cat 6 (even 5e should be fine) and do some tests that way.  You may need to reboot the modem to release the one DHCP IP address Xfinity assigns.

That was the BEST
 test I ever ran.  I do not always get those speeds and I don't think I've ever bested that one test.
On Wifi 802.11ac I get in the 200-400 range consistent with the devices on this table: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-service
(I don't think I have anything that currently utilizes 3x3 MIMO) but I know we're not talking about WiFi.

Run your tests after midnight or early morning (or 3AM if you can.)  Don't run them after 4PM on a weekday or you'll get slowdown from all of the congestion from people streaming.  It's usually worst around 8-10PM where I can see as low as the 500s depending on which test I use but typically I see 600s even at the absolute worst times.

I do see very different results depending on which test I do even at the same time of day.  The most reliably fast ones are, and the one that gave me the above result was: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest  I don't know what their magic is but I'll see 900s on there while I'm getting lower speeds on http://beta.speedtest.net/ or http://speedtest.xfinity.com .  
Also, https://fast.com/ is usually good as it's using Netflix's server presumably colocated on XFinity's network, so you're not subject to as much upstream congestion, but fast.com is going to be most reliable at times when people are not streaming.  Also it's a super quick test to run for just spot checking download performacne instead of waiting through a full test cycle on on of the other speedtests.

Ironically I have ordered a Ubiquity wireless access point which I'm going to try out instead of using the ASUS for wifi and I was considering moving to the Ubiquity Edgmax router (eventually going all Ubiquity equipment.)  I was just dipping my toe in with the AP and cloudkey first.  We'll see.  The main motivation for the switch to the AP is phyiscal placement ability and asthetics.  I want to mount a single AP near the dead center of the house on the ceiling in my dining room as just about any other location for an AP is less than ideal and I'm not a big fan of going multi-ap or mesh unless it's necessary (though I may add a secondary for outside use.)  I'll see how it goes in a few days.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info! I may go to to a UNIFI AP at some point in the future. So far the T-Mobile (free) TM-AC1900 has been a rock solid consumer router. Now that its just an AP it should work just fine for a while. Thanks for the reply.

Problem Solver

I don’t think the https://fast.com is that reliable. The only reason is I’m on Blast! 200 and I pulled a 350 on the site which in my eyes is highly unlikely to be a true test.

63C409BD-667A-4707-B405-99425D21D386.png
Frequent Visitor

Looks like I am maxing out in the high 800's probably my equipment. Great speeds!

COMCAST SPEED 12-9-17.png
Problem Solver

I would agree that fast.com is not reliable.  The fastest it's ever shown my download is 560 Mpbs.whereas speedtest.net and speedtest.xfinity.com consistently show my download speeds around 950 Mpbs.   

Contributor

Gigabit pro is a dedicated fiber line runing to you house Smiley Happy Giagabit internet is 1 gig down and on special at 30 dollars a month with a triple play package.

Regular Contributor

Interesting. I see 960-970 on fast.com.
I guess it depends on where you are (and presumably occasional congestion.)
I don't consider it all that accurate, but it's a handy quick and dirty test for me, (especially testing wireless performance is max 400s.)
Whatever works for you. Try all of them and find the one that is the most consistent 👍
Frequent Visitor

Thank you,  

New Poster

I'm curious about whether I should attempt to troubleshoot or be happy with the speeds I'm seeing. I've got Gigabit in CA 94062 and I'm seeing 750Mbps down on speedtest.xfinity. This is an Arris SB8200 directly connected to an Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite and a Netgear gigabit switch. I get the same numbers when directly connecting as well. Upload is excellent.

Signal wise everything looks well in spec both power and SNR. Channel 33 which is my "other" bonded channel is the lowest specs with a whole lot more correctables and one uncorrectable:

813000000 Hz 2.2 dBmV 37.5 dB 4724060 1

Every couple of days I get a T3 timeout.

Is this don't worry be happy?

-Gene

Contributor

My SB8200 modem restarted after an outage last night and now I see there is Docsis 3.1 downstream channel bonding.  Does this mean that 1Gbps speed is now available in the area?  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I subscribed to that service in October. I was getting docsis 3.1/ 1Gbit service till a couple days ago. Comcast changed my service to docsis 3.1. Their docsis 3.1 service is a big fat lie.

New Poster

CAT5 can handle gigabit; although CAT5e was designed for gigabit to deal with increased crosstalk. Also it's not a big deal if you're not running hundreds of feet of cable. 

Contributor

what effect did you guys see on the xb6 gate modem on wifi or useing a extender as i got free netgear nighthawk from comcast but it randomly stop the wifi and i reboot the wifi router it start normal am i the only one

Frequent Visitor

On XB6 they've been having trouble with WiFi with the latest firmware push, I know this because I've that modem. The tech who did the home visit confirmed this suspicion. So, currently I use XB6 just as a switch and my asus router took over the WiFi part.

Contributor

i used a nighthawk as the extender and ap mode both will stop wifi and i switcth to the xb6 gate wifi and it stay on normaly and used a swicth for more lan ports

Problem Solver

dkinley1 wrote:

question to anyone who got gigabit did the technician give you a cat 6 or 7 ethernet cable for your PC/MAC or did you have to buy them yourself? because you need them to get the proper speed from the modem to the pc

FYI, Cat 5E (enhanced) will work for gigabit, especially if you're not running really long lengths of cable. The standard has been around for nearly a decade so you'd have to have a really, really old Cat 5 cable to encounter problems. 

Tech who did the install for me had Cat 5E, but I already had a bunch of Cat 6's because I mostly have Ethernet for my home network, so  I opted to keep mine. 

New Poster

Re: Got my Gigabit Pro and LOVING it!

I use brocade 7250, it has 8 10gb ports and my CDW rep sells them to me for about $1,300 (granted my first purchase was of 50) you still have to buy the 10gb sfp. but what you can do is get a NIC with multiple ports and creat a LAG.

New Poster

Yea if your spending this kind of cash on fiber network, dont waste your time on consumer products. If your trying to create LAG's there is no way the routers you mentioned will work. Im lucky, I switched over to palo alto network firewalls at work, so I had a couple sonicwalls laying arround for me to play with at home or I would have never got the service. I love ubnt AP's cheap and reliable, it might be worth seeing if the have any good FW & switches that can handle that type of traffic. I think your on the right track tho, I think 10gb nics and OM3/ OM4 sfp's are way overkill, LAG's are they way to go if your just trying to achieve 2gb speeds. And yes cat6 can support 10g over small distances but your swich/ router etc has got to support it.

New Poster

I’m moving and want gigabit pro. Does anyone know how often they run the two year intro promo for gigabit pro? I will have to unbundle my services and that will cost me more. I’d also prefer not to have to setup for Chanel wait to till promo and reset up the network and equipment.

Thoughts or ideas...
Frequent Visitor

I have had gigabit service in Kansas City area for about 6 months, upon inital install I was only getting around 300mbs via ethernet.  I upgraded my ethernet card and cables to Cat6 and my speed went up to around 650-800 mbs on ethernet to the desktop computer.  I have a bridge setup with a higher end Linksys router because I needed to use a ViOP phone for work and the XB6 gateway didn't have the necessary settings.  It seems within the last month or so my speeds have slowed way down. I ran a speedtest today and I am only getting 300mbs from a ethernet hard wired connection.  Nothing has changed on settings, etc . I tried power cycling the modem and router and still the same results. 

Any suggestions?

I've looked in my router settings (Linksys) and media prioritization is disabled, no parental controls are on.  Any other settings / tricks that others have used? Could this be a signal problem or bad gateway issue? I dread spending a bunch of time talking with a hard to understand customer service rep that will tell me to power cycle the modem.

New Poster

overage

how can i see if im about to go over my set plan --- overage

Service Expert

Re: overage

dankaufman66 wrote:

how can i see if im about to go over my set plan --- overage

At the bottom of this page:

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/devices

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

jayman1234 wrote:

I have had gigabit service in Kansas City area for about 6 months, upon inital install I was only getting around 300mbs via ethernet.  I upgraded my ethernet card and cables to Cat6 and my speed went up to around 650-800 mbs on ethernet to the desktop computer.  I have a bridge setup with a higher end Linksys router because I needed to use a ViOP phone for work and the XB6 gateway didn't have the necessary settings.  It seems within the last month or so my speeds have slowed way down. I ran a speedtest today and I am only getting 300mbs from a ethernet hard wired connection.  Nothing has changed on settings, etc . I tried power cycling the modem and router and still the same results. 

Any suggestions?

I've looked in my router settings (Linksys) and media prioritization is disabled, no parental controls are on.  Any other settings / tricks that others have used? Could this be a signal problem or bad gateway issue? I dread spending a bunch of time talking with a hard to understand customer service rep that will tell me to power cycle the modem.

Your modem is out of spec . Check your private messages.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Connection Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Why did you move my post? was perfectly relevant to the topic. Your home internet / Gigabit Internet Speed

My question has nothing to do with "Gigabit Internet Speed - router and speed troubleshooting"

Nothing to do with Router or troubleshooting! My post was in regards to pricing and my concerns.

Figured out how to remain Title.

Connection Expert

SilviAllDay wrote:

My question has nothing to do with "Gigabit Internet Speed - router and speed troubleshooting"

Nothing to do with Router or troubleshooting! My post was in regards to pricing and my concerns.

Exactly. It would be better served where it is now.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

That fine but my post had literally nothing to do with "Router or troubleshooting"......  lol

Contributor

Is the upload speed still trash? 42mbps is trash as Verizon FiOS is 1gbps upload. Had a friend who got FiOS and gets 1gbps down and up. Comcast is a joke. I do a lot of videos and Live streams for my 2 YouTube channels and Comcast upload speeds are trash. Forget going 4K with Comcast. If it wasn't for my apartment only allowing Comcast, I would have left a long time ago.
Regular Contributor

I'm not defending Comcast's upload speed as they could certainly go Docsis 3.1 on upload as well (currently 3.0) but why do you need more than 42Mbps to do a 4K video live stream.  4K shouldn't tax more than 18Mbps up.

Regular Contributor

Try http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest .  You'll probably find that it can give you 1Gbps.  I also often get 1GBps with speed.com when it isn't prime time for Netflix watching.  Which raises the question, what's going on with Comcast's Internet exchange(s) that can't handle the traffic from some of that speedtest.net servers (unless it's speedtest)

New Poster

just a quick note for those of you thinking about upgrading to gigabit or gigabit pro service:

make sure you first get a modem capable of running those speeds - aka a good DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem

here is an example

Connection Expert

Darkfyre wrote:

just a quick note for those of you thinking about upgrading to gigabit or gigabit pro service:

make sure you first get a modem capable of running those speeds - aka a good DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem

here is an example

A DOCSIS based cable modem will not work with the "Gigabit Pro" (2 Gbps/2 Gbps) service. It is delivered via a fiber optic cable direct to the premises (FTTP / FTTH). The DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem that you linked to will work for the *Gigabit* (1000/35) speed tier service.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Hi,

I recently subscribed to the gigabit service. However, my speeds when connected directly to the modem (Arris SB8200) are only around 400Mbps. Sometimes I have been able to get around 550 Mbps. On upload I do get the 35Mbps. Comcast sent out a technician to verify that the cable was okay and the SNR was good. Comcast also looked at the bootfile on the modem and everything looked good but couldn't give me a straight answer why the speeds weren't upto the mark. Beyond this I'm not quite sure why then the modem would not be able to get close to the gigabit speed. Is there a comcast representative here that can comment on this?

Thanks in advance!

New Poster

I have the exact same issues.  Have had techs come out twice now and they cannot figure out the speed issue.  Have netgear CM1000 and have tried a 2nd.  Also have a Lnksys EA9500 nighawk router.  When the technicians use their nic card it gets 950 down.  however, ANY router, switch, computer connected to modem drops immediately to 500.  Comcast was sure it was my modem so they installed theirs and it does exact same behaviour.  All Cables are new Cat6.  Very frustrating!  I get almost the same down speeds I get with the blast pro so what gives!!  Any help comcast or is it time to get Fios in here!!

Contributor

Really wish West Point, Mississippi was on the list for gigabit. We only have 16 downstream DOCSIS 3.0 channels.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More