members

online now

discussions

Extending Xfinity Hotspot? Antenna?

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Extending Xfinity Hotspot? Antenna?

When I visit my son, I can only access an Xfinity hotspot from his front porch. 

Is there a way I can put an extender on the porch and get access in the house?

What about connecting an antenna to my laytop?

Thanks for any suiggestions.

Accepted Solution

Re: Extending Xfinity Hotspot? Antenna?

@webguy262,

If the Xfinity hotspot you are discussing is one that is coming from your son's modem then you can absolutely get a WiFi extender to extend that signal further. If the hotspot is one that you are picking up from a neighbor or local business then you would not be able to add a WiFi extender as that is not you or your sons account to manage. It must be done from the location with the service. 

There are devices on the market that you can plug into your laptop that can possibly amplify the Wifi signal you are attempting to connect to. However, just like with routers or other devices you can purchase we cannot recommend one for you. You would need to find one that works best with your device and your setup. 

View answer in context
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Extending Xfinity Hotspot? Antenna?

@webguy262,

If the Xfinity hotspot you are discussing is one that is coming from your son's modem then you can absolutely get a WiFi extender to extend that signal further. If the hotspot is one that you are picking up from a neighbor or local business then you would not be able to add a WiFi extender as that is not you or your sons account to manage. It must be done from the location with the service. 

There are devices on the market that you can plug into your laptop that can possibly amplify the Wifi signal you are attempting to connect to. However, just like with routers or other devices you can purchase we cannot recommend one for you. You would need to find one that works best with your device and your setup. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon