members

online now

discussions

Equipment help

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 2

Looking to upgrade my Triple Pack (Phone, TV, Internet) modem. Currently, I am renting the Cisco Model DPC3941T from comcast. Do I buy the same model and have it activated or is it too old to bother with and get a new model. If I should go with the new model, which model do I go with. The wife just renewed the contract for two years so I don't want to waste any more money renting. Thanks.

1 REPLY
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 2 of 2

FWIW, there *may still* be one caveat to owning your own eMTA or gateway device that supports their phone service. YMMV. I always advise (until I'm told otherwise officially) that the first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC. The personnel that work there seem to better know what the actual local franchise's policies really are than do support reps at the national 800 number.

If allowed, there are five devices available at retail that they will activate for service are the Arris TG862G, the Arris SVG2482AC, the Netgear C7100V, the Arris TM822G, and the Arris TM722G. The 862 is a combo cable modem / router / eMTA gateway device but it is a piece of junk. But it can be put in to bridge mode so that it acts only as a cable modem with phone support. You would the use your own high quality stand-alone router with it.

The SVG2482AC and the C7100V are much better performing combo gateway devices that offer 24 downstream channels. The 822 is an eMTA that offers only 8 downstream channels. The 722 is an older eMTA that offers only 4 downstream channel bonding capability so it won't be able deliver their fastest speed tiers like 150 and faster. They are hard to find as they are not being manufactured anymore.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon