New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Dynamic DNS

ANSWERED
New Poster

Dynamic DNS

I have a DPC3941T router and I'm trying to figure out if it is Dynamic DNS capable? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Dynamic DNS

by

I don't believe that the firmware loads in the Comcast supplied gateway devices support that feature.  You would need to put a dynamic DNS client on one of your computers, or use your own router that supports the dynamic DNS service of your choice.

View answer in context
Connection Expert

I don't believe that the firmware loads in the Comcast supplied gateway devices support that feature.  You would need to put a dynamic DNS client on one of your computers, or use your own router that supports the dynamic DNS service of your choice.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Would you happen to know how often on average Comcast changes our IP addresses? My router stays on all the time so I'm assuming it's fairly stable at one IP address?

Highlighted
Connection Expert

A residential connection is assigned a dynamic public IP. Although "dynamic" means that it can change, the Comcast assignments are known as being sticky dynamic and are tied to the MAC address of the device that is connected to the LAN interface of the cable modem. In simpler terms, the IP address doesn't change very often normally. At one point in the past, I had the same public IP for over two years. And this is even after going on vacation for a month and having the modem unplugged. When I returned and powered things back up, I still had the same IP.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon