members

online now

discussions

Data Usage Meter Launched

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 201 of 222

davegreen wrote:

As for this statement “Furthermore, the reporting system maintains that accuracy throughout all the elements of the meter system—up to and including the final view as seen on the customer portal.” I bet someone would like to retract that statement, and go back and do some real testing.

The meter accurately displays what Comcast considers your usage to have been. If Comcast has reset your account, the meter will reflect this. Since this is the same data that's used to determine if you're an excessive user, that's what's most important.
It's like the odometer in your car. It's normally accurate, but if a service tech rolls it back it will not report correctly.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 202 of 222
This is a very entertaining thread. I too, am mad at a cap on my internet when it was advertised as unlimited, but like most of the Comcast peeps had pointed out, most will never come close. Anyhow, I hadn't really tested the limits because of inferior hardware, but I just got a brand new laptop and have increased my usage 8x over the last couple months, and it'll probably only get worse when my wife finishes with grad school and is back to being home most of the time, so I am getting very close to the 250GB limit. My question and/or feature request is, can the system be made to generate a warning email rather than me having to log in? It doesn't make any sense (to me at least) to have a user have to log in and navigate through a web site to look at a graph if they are never going to be close to the limit. I'd rather get warned that I am close, and I can decide to slow down or do the necessary monitoring then...
Posted by
New Poster
Message 203 of 222

Joel wrote:

Mrite,

The cap isn't going to affect gamers. The only folks this cap will affect are those who download/upload large quantities of multi-media files, and you almost have to do this 24/7 to exhaust your monthly bandwidth allotment of 250GB. 

Really, I can download a 1.5 Gb torrent file sometimes at 1Mb/sec or more meaning 15 minutes or so to download, and at the same time it is uploading.  Our friends at Comcast apparently count the download and upload, so if I leave the torrent uploading to get 1.5 Gb up, which many torrent sites require, then that 15 minute download counts as 3Gb, right?  So if I did that 85 times in one month, I would go over, 85 x .25 hours = 22 hours of downloading in a month, that doesn't sound like 24/7 to me, sounds like I could do it in a few days if I really tried.

This will get worse as people download bigger and bigger files, and ISP provides faster speeds.  Does FIOS have such a cap? 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 204 of 222

irateb wrote:
My question and/or feature request is, can the system be made to generate a warning email rather than me having to log in? It doesn't make any sense (to me at least) to have a user have to log in and navigate through a web site to look at a graph if they are never going to be close to the limit. I'd rather get warned that I am close, and I can decide to slow down or do the necessary monitoring then...

I agree and others have made this feature request as well.  Once we finish deployment in all markets, we'll refocus on dev and this is one of the top features we have on the list. 

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 205 of 222
The day they tell me I've exceeded my usage limit is the day I switch ISP!!
Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 206 of 222

Looks like Verizon have an invisible, undefined cap, but reports are that they seldom enforce any bandwidth limitations.

This is from their TOS:

Restrictions on Use. The Service is a consumer grade service and is not designed for or intended to be used for any commercial purpose. You may not resell the Service, use it for high volume purposes, or engage in similar activities that constitute such use (commercial or non-commercial). If you subscribe to a Broadband Service, you may connect multiple computers/devices within a single home to your modem and/or router to access the Service, but only through a single Verizon-issued IP address. You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service, or use the Service to host any type of server. Violation of this section may result in bandwidth restrictions on your Service or suspension or termination of your Service.

ALSO, for all you paranoids out there, their TOS also contains this:

Monitoring of Network Performance by Verizon. Verizon automatically measures and monitors network performance and the performance of your Internet connection and our network. We also will access and record information about your computer and Equipment's profile and settings and the installation of software we provide. You agree to permit us to access your computer and Equipment and to monitor, adjust and record such data, profiles and settings for the purpose of providing the Service. You also consent to Verizon's monitoring of your Internet connection and network performance, and to our accessing and adjusting your computer settings, as they relate to the Service, Software, or other services, which we may offer from time to time. We do not share information collected for the purpose of network or computer performance monitoring or for providing customized technical support outside of Verizon or its authorized vendors, contractors and agents.

All pretty standard stuff in any ISP's TOS. I'm sure the Comcast  TOS contains similar phraseology. If you don't bother to read it thoroughly before you sign up, you don't really have a basis for complaint.

If you read the Verizon TOS, it also places disclaimers on the speed of your connection, basically saying that you might get what you pay for, and you might not, depending on numerous factors. Pretty much what Comcast says...

Now, I am not saying one way or the other whether Vz has a better track record of delivering on what it sells that CC, as I don't have the experience to compare the two, so don't start giving me grief over that. All I posted is what I saw on the Vz website. As the TOS of both companies are written (I'm sure) by lawyers, they are both going to be substantially similar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 207 of 222

jlivingood wrote:

Once we finish deployment in all markets, we'll refocus on dev and this is one of the top features we have on the list. 

Good deal Jason ! Smiley Happy

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
Message 208 of 222
Already pricing Verizon
Posted by
Customer Expert

Message 209 of 222

Could the information from the meter get onto our bills? Having a little chart in the bill that shows month-by-month usage for the past year would help far more than a meter we have to find online.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 210 of 222

Why are you so upset about a device that tells you what your usage is?

Please give me RATIONAL explanations, no rants, no discussion of the cap. I'm aware of the caps issue and how people feel about it.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 211 of 222

Firemouse wrote:
Already pricing Verizon

And that's fine if that's your decision, but do keep in mind that Verizon has already discussed possibly going towards a metered billing system.  Just something to remember.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 212 of 222

I got this today.  The measurement seems a little on the low side.  For example, my router is reporting a total of about 17 GB for March so far.  The Comcast usage meter is reporting 11 GB.  My router only measures WAN traffic so if anything the router's total should be less than Comcast's.  

For February it lists 4 GB, while my router lists 34 GB, though the usage meter might not have been active the entire month.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 213 of 222
My feeling is that one should never look a gift horse in the mouth. Smiley Wink

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 214 of 222
Why should I care what my usage is??? Comcast said "unlimited usage" in the begining, if I remember correctly. Is this an ominous sign of some future move by Comcast to charge customers per MB of usage or some such ridiculous thing??? If so, good-bye Comcast and good luck!!
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 215 of 222

Flabbergast., 

as another telecom professional it also makes me sad that Comcast follows the path  of Worldcom, Enron and AOL/TW, soon to be in the ditch,  focused on stock price not moving our country forward.  

If one simply browses these forums you see a company at war with its customers, a situation that will not last long.  

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 216 of 222
I just received notice that the usage meter is coming to my area.  It is presented as some kind of big benefit! I will now be limited to 250g per month.  I checked my usage for the past three months and I used an average of 450g a month.  Why the limit to 250g?  There is no reason to institute this restriction.  Do we have any way to say "no thanks" to this special offer as an appreciated comcast customer?
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 217 of 222

bevis25 –The meter is not a big benefit, but you will probably need it when they switch over to paying for going over the limit.

Tweaked – You can only go by what they present to you, unfortunately. Looks like a bug somewhere based on your comments. I would ask Comcast why this happened. Maybe the January numbers weren’t a full month, they should be able to tell you this. They also should be able to go back and tell your usage since they have been tracking this for a long time. The only new thing is letting you see it. As I posted above, I have my doubts about the meters accuracy. I read your post in 100% pure bandwidth (url below), you are correct, the meter page has hidden notes, looks like they are getting ready for some changes. Nice catch! Really amazes me their programmers overlooked this, you get what you pay for.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=29&thread.id=18389

If you don’t believe the hidden notes (copy below), do the following on your High-Speed Internet Data Usage, View details. Right mouse button, “view source” is the fastest, scroll down to the notes. Or right mouse “select all”, right mouse “copy”. Open up word, right mouse “paste”.

Please note
By choosing this option, there will be an additional per Gigabyte charge for every Gigabyte you use above your data usage allowance. This charge will appear on your monthly billing statement for the next billing cycle.
OK
close

Please note
By choosing this option, you can continue to use the Internet at a slower speed, which will not affect any VOIP services, such as Vonage, you may use. The slower speed will only be in effect until the last day of the current billing cycle.
OK
close

Please Note
Your billing preference cannot be changed because you have reached the maximum number of changes per billing cycle.
OK
close

Please note
By choosing this selection, your Internet speed will be slowed down when your monthly allowance has been reached.

Posted by
Customer Expert

Message 218 of 222

Yes, if you look at your data meter and view the source of that web page, you see that text about paying more per gigabyte.

We have asked that someone higher up and official at Comcast check into this.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 219 of 222

I suspect the “someone higher up and official at Comcast” isn’t a happy camper to have to deal with PR damage control. Either it is being planned, or you have rogue programmers dealing with corporate customer’s web pages. As they say “That’s why you get the big bucks!” Glad I don’t hear that anymore, you have my sympathies.

I didn’t make any comments on the potential options in the page source code in my above post. But to be fair, it looks like a reasonably fair way to deal with this if it goes through, and I suspect it will. Pay for the extra bandwidth, or get a slowdown until the meter resets at the beginning of the month. I would venture a guess that most ISPs will cap usage. I wouldn’t have a problem with these options as long as the caps moved up with the real world usage.

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 220 of 222

bevis25 wrote:
I will now be limited to 250g per month.
What do you mean by "now"? Comcast instituted the 250g cap in 2008.
Repeat after me, everyone: the only thing new is being able to see your usage. Comcast has always been measuring it for their internal use, and always been limiting customers. They've NEVER offered unlimited Internet, despite what the advertising said.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 221 of 222

Faster speed doesn't mean you can do more, it just means you don't have to wait as long when you do it. You can watch the same number of shows on Hulu, but you're less likely to see "Buffering". And if you have multiple family members using the Internet at the same time, they're not going to interfere with each other. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 222 of 222

This Thread Is Now Locked.

Please discuss here.

George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.