New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Data Usage Meter Launched

Regular Visitor

Re: New Comcast Useage Meter

jlivingood wrote:
If you received the email you have the meter.  If you cannot see the meter, you may not be logged in with the primary account.

We aren't stupid or lying! Despite having been sent the email three weeks ago now, many of us do not I repeat NOT have any sort of meter showing up on our account page.

Bronze Problem Solver

jlivingood wrote:

If you received the email you have the meter.  If you cannot see the meter, you may not be logged in with the primary account.

I received the email in SE MA at several addresses, although I'm not 100% sure I received it at the primary address; the addresses I received the email at for sure were transferred to a different account. But I only moved about 20 miles, and the previous primary account can't see the meter, either. I see this and this with IE7 and the latest Firefox (no Flash). Am I looking in the wrong place? Are parts of SE MA not covered yet?

Email Expert

Have you done what I suggested? If you received the email and don't see the meter, you need to call Comcast and get them to reprovision your account. For some reason, the database used for the meter doesn't have the correct MAC address of your modem.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Official Employee

TWH wrote:

jlivingood wrote:

We aren't stupid or lying! Despite having been sent the email three weeks ago now, many of us do not I repeat NOT have any sort of meter showing up on our account page.

I am not saying you are either.  If the above is true then just contact customer support and they can assist you.  If that fails to solve the problem, email we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Connection Expert

Look like my area in Connecticut just got the meter

I was just checking on my bill and saw it

my email must still be coming .

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Re: Data Usage Meter Launched

How about a meter of my connection speed. That would be useful to me as a customer. I'd like to be sure that I am getting thre speed that I'm paying for.
Connection Expert

gaaaaaaaaaaa wrote:
How about a meter of my connection speed. That would be useful to me as a customer. I'd like to be sure that I am getting thre speed that I'm paying for.

this meter is for how much you download

but you can use these for speed test

from comcast

http://speedtest.comcast.net/

other test

http://www.speedtest.net/

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I find this rather creepy. I don't understand the point of monitoring my usage--it makes me feel as if Comcast is telling me not to download anything. I'm paying for UNLIMITED broadband. Now you're changing the package. Again.

I'm NOT pleased. 

Networking Expert

You're not paying for unlimited broadband.  You were at one time, but Comcast discovered that they can't provide unlimited service, so they changed to this 250GB limit.  But if there's a limit, there has to be a way you can tell how much bandwidth you are consuming or it's a huge legal black hole for Comcast to get their behinds sued off.  

I'm not happy as well about the change from "unlimited" to this 250GB cap.  There were always limits, even when they advertised "unlimited", they just didn't tell anyone except the really heavy users.  That was dishonest and I'm sure they knew that, which is why the change.  But at least now Comcast is setting a limit and giving us a means of actual measurement.  Many people have no clue what their actual usage is, and no idea what kind of data transfer goes on behind each of the services they use.  Now they have a means of seeing that.

I just get the email about the meter being available in this area, so went to go have a look.  No surprise, so far this month, I've used about 9GB.  At this pace, I won't even break 50GB, and I'm a heavy Internet user, with lots of email and web, Netflix online movies, gaming, and multiple systems, iPhones, etc all going through the same modem. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

You are currently setting the limit @ 250GB

You will...as you have with other services you offer...be finding ways to squeeze us for more money.

You have forced us to start looking at a new provider

Not a smart move on your part.

New Poster

Baric

Wake up and smell the coffe...This how they start the price increase!

First you've got to put the frog in the pot of cold water, once he acclimates

.....then you start turning up the heat

This is a long term plan to squeeze more $$$ from customers.

We use sites like HULU for our TV entertainment which means I do'nt need to subscribe to all the  crappy packages Comcast offers.

They're going to get us one way or the other...lets all look for a better provider

Regular Visitor

Thanks Comcast!

Hello Comcast, 

I just got an email saying you are launching a new feature called a 'usage meter', and you are 'pleased' with the launch. This will be very helpful to me so that I may monitor my usage! I mean, since I am paying you to use your service, I don't want to get greedy and use too much of it! I want to do my part and lower my usage, so that you may spread the bandwidth to others, and bring on more customers. Like you pointed out, 99% of your customers won't need to check the meter since they don't come close to that, and I understand that instead of addressing the 1% that do, that might hurt their feelings. Shot-gunning the problem is always a good idea! (Although it may be that you lack the technical ability/brain power to better solve this problem.)

Anyways, thanks for the new feature, say hello to the Tin Man for me, continue boring holes in your hull, and I’ll pack up and chuckle at you later.

Contributor

Re: Thanks Comcast!

I agree 200%. The economy is down and so is the amount of new subscribers. Comcast knows the only way to up their revenue is to find new ways to squeeze their current customers. They have been planning these charges for a while. This is a greed industry, right up there with cell phones.

My internet speed is so slow that I had to call tech support. The fix? Sign up for faster broadband $$$.

My speed was fine 3 years ago - and now I have to pay nearly $100 to get it back?

I'm going to start researching alternatives because Comcast makes me sick to my stomach.

Comcast is counting on a captive market - that even though we lose our jobs we can't let go of their services - think again.

New Poster

This is just one more reason to get DSL.  You charge to much money to be throttled like this. $56 a month from a company who provides streaming content but then throttles your usage.  You people are your own problem.
Message Edited by SpinnerFall on 03-11-2010 02:57 PM
Regular Visitor

I got my pilot launch email a few days ago.  Just checked my usage - 39GB in December, 221GB in January, 288GB in February and 80GB for the first 11 days in March.

There are three computers in my house and a BluRay with Netflix.  In February I watched probably 3 seasons worth of Lost.  Other usage would have been typical web browsing, music downloads, maybe an iso or two of Ubuntu.  In other words - normal stuff, at least for me.

I haven't gotten a call so I assume even though I was over the 250GB limit in February I am still not "one of the heaviest users".

New Poster

No kidding!  According to the email, hardly anybody will use 250GB which begs the question: Why are you limiting us then??? Corporate greed, that's why. As if we aren't paying them enough for their service already...

This will be another nail in the Comcast coffin.  Lucky for Albuquerque customers there is a company licensed by the city to do 'Fiber to the Home' installations.  Way more bandwith (especially upstream) at a fraction of the price of cable.  I can't wait to switch and get all of my neighbors to do the same.

Hey Comcast! We only need an Internet connection from your competiors to get all the content we could ever need - we don't need you.

Regular Visitor

Good point, and I noticed the same effect. The thing that irks me is that they come to us and say “we are pleased to announce..”  and “This FEATURE..” OK let’s dissect this; I’m sure THEY are pleased, as this is a tool for THEM to throttle their customers, including the ones not responsible hogging BW. This is not a feature. “Don’t urinate on my foot and tell me it’s raining.” IMHO as long as the playing field is ‘fair’, corporate greed is fine, as it can quickly turn into a noose to which the company will find itself in. “One should never buy a product from a company that insults your intelligence.” Richard P. Feynman – Nobel Prize winning Physicist

Official Employee

burqueno wrote:

No kidding!  According to the email, hardly anybody will use 250GB which begs the question: Why are you limiting us then??? Corporate greed, that's why. As if we aren't paying them enough for their service already...

We've had a limit for years and years and years.  We were asked to disclose it, which we did.  We then developed a meter to enable customers to see their usage against that limit.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

SpinnerFall wrote:
This is just one more reason to get DSL.  You charge to much money to be throttled like this. $56 a month from a company who provides streaming content but then throttles your usage.  You people are your own problem.

Well, it's a usage limit.  It's not a throttle.  A throttle would say if you do X or Y, then you cannot exceed XXX kbps.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Rhysdux wrote:

I find this rather creepy. I don't understand the point of monitoring my usage--it makes me feel as if Comcast is telling me not to download anything. I'm paying for UNLIMITED broadband. Now you're changing the package. Again.

I'm NOT pleased. 

Your service is not unlimited.  It is limited to 250GB.  Which should be more than enough for most of the people on the planet.  

What's your data usage according to the meter?  

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

jonalisa wrote:

I agree 200%. The economy is down and so is the amount of new subscribers. Comcast knows the only way to up their revenue is to find new ways to squeeze their current customers. They have been planning these charges for a while. This is a greed industry, right up there with cell phones.

There are not any charges relating to the 250GB limit.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Well, thanks for the clarification.  Does that mean we should be happy about now?
Frequent Visitor

Jlivingood--

My usage--which is none of your bloody business, by the way!--is not the issue. The fact that you're monitoring my usage IS.

I don't know why you're monitoring your customers' usage. I don't know what happens if I exceed that limitation--do I pay extra? Does my service get cut off for the month? What? I don't know why a package that was labeled "unlimited broadband" when I bought it has suddenly transformed into something else.

And I certainly don't see why this unpleasant and intrusive monitoring is now being marketed as a feature rather than a flaw.

I've asked these questions repeatedly, by the way. I'm still waiting for answers. I just keep being told that this is a new feature and that I should be delighted with it. 

Well, I'm not delighted. I'm not delighted at ALL.

Email Expert

Rhysdux wrote:

Jlivingood--

My usage--which is none of your bloody business, by the way!--is not the issue. The fact that you're monitoring my usage IS.

Of course it's their business. How do you expect them to engineer the network without knowing how much bandwidth they need?

And I certainly don't see why this unpleasant and intrusive monitoring is now being marketed as a feature rather than a flaw.
How many times does it have to be pointed out that the monitoring is not new? They've been doing that as long as they've been in business. The "feature" is that customers can now see what Comcast already knows about their usage. Don't you agree that transparency is better?
Message Edited by Barmar on 03-11-2010 02:46 PM

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Rhysdux -

Don't worry, it's like when politicians say "We are going to put up a toll booth, and only charge tractor trailers, not anyone else… we promise.” So there's really nothing to worry about....

Jlivingood – From one technical person to another your statement “It is not a throttle” is technically not true. A ‘limiter’ IS a type of throttle, and a throttle is not a limiter.  A cat IS an animal, an animal is not a cat.

Frequent Visitor

Barmar--

I don't know what you mean by engineering the network.

And I think you've just touched on the main problem with this. To you, it's obvious why the limitation on broadband and the monitoring are necessary--so much so that you and your fellow Comcast employees aren't bothering to explain why to the lay person.

To a substantial portion of your customers, neither of these things is obvious.

To quote from Cool Hand Luke, "What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

Email Expert

First of all, I'm not a Comcast employee (you don't see a Comcast logo next to my name, do you?), I'm a customer like you.

What I mean is that Comcast has to know how much traffic they're carrying, so they can design their network to have sufficient capacity for it. They also have to watch trends, so they can plan for the future.

It's like a supermarket chain has to track how many of each product they sell, and which stores they sell in, so they can plan future orders accordingly and negotiate prices with the wholesalers.

You might argue that they can do this by tracking aggregate traffic, not metering each customer. That will provide some information, but it's not complete. It's often important to know how many customers will be affected by a design decision, and this requires more fine-grained monitoring.

Anyway, Comcast announced the 250 GB/mo cap about a year and a half ago. When they did this, customers complained that there was no way to see how they were doing relative to this. How can you say that it's not a feature to provide what customers asked for? You can certainly argue that the limit is a bad idea, but given that there's a limit, how can you argue against the meter?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Visitor

For the record - I have no problem with a meter to see my usage.  I would like to be able to see it on a daily basis though.  Aggregated for the onth doesn't provide me enough detail to see when my usage is happening.  I'd much prefer a nice MRTG graph where the time scale can be changed from monthly to daily to hourly.

When I got home today I checked the computers on my home network.  My teenage son had turned on Limewire file sharing and looks like a fair amount of traffic was probably from that program.  Of course I fixed it but it would have been nice to see the usage in at least an hourly chart so I could see the dropoff in use after the change.

Connection Expert

jmgleason wrote:

For the record - I have no problem with a meter to see my usage.  I would like to be able to see it on a daily basis though.  Aggregated for the onth doesn't provide me enough detail to see when my usage is happening.  I'd much prefer a nice MRTG graph where the time scale can be changed from monthly to daily to hourly.

When I got home today I checked the computers on my home network.  My teenage son had turned on Limewire file sharing and looks like a fair amount of traffic was probably from that program.  Of course I fixed it but it would have been nice to see the usage in at least an hourly chart so I could see the dropoff in use after the change.

you can see your meter everyday

going by comcast there just a 3 hour delay from what is listed there

just go here

https://customer.comcast.com/Secure/Users.aspx

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Official Employee

Rhysdux wrote:

Jlivingood--

I don't know why you're monitoring your customers' usage. I don't know what happens if I exceed that limitation--do I pay extra? Does my service get cut off for the month? What? I don't know why a package that was labeled "unlimited broadband" when I bought it has suddenly transformed into something else.

I've asked these questions repeatedly, by the way. I'm still waiting for answers. I just keep being told that this is a new feature and that I should be delighted with it. 

Well, I'm not delighted. I'm not delighted at ALL.

To be clear, we couldn't care less what content you consume or create or what sites you visit, etc.  But we do limit the service to 250GB, which is disclosed in your AUP here.  All we do is count the bytes going over the wire, plain and simple.

As to why we do so, our network management practices are here and the specific FAQs on 250GB are here.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

HowstheTinMan wrote:
Jlivingood – From one technical person to another your statement “It is not a throttle” is technically not true. A ‘limiter’ IS a type of throttle, and a throttle is not a limiter.  A cat IS an animal, an animal is not a cat.

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you.  When you hit 250GB, what happens?  It is possible you *may* receive a phone call.  See this FAQ.  I can't see how that's a throttle, or even a cat.  ;-)

I understand the underlying unhappiness over having a 250GB limit, but it is what it is.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

jmgleason wrote:

I'll add that to the feature request list...

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

JL:

Thank you for posting the links to the the FAQs about the 250GB policy. I'd learned about them from another customer, as they hadn't been included in Comcast's email to me, but nevertheless, I'm glad you're promoting them.

Regular Visitor

jlivingood wrote: 

I'll add that to the feature request list...

That would be great!  Thanks.

Official Employee

burqueno wrote:
Well, thanks for the clarification.  Does that mean we should be happy about now?

Not necessarily.  Happiness is up to you.  But keeping things in perspective, I'm not sure I'd let either a usage meter or a 250GB limit ruin your day.  

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

Rhysdux wrote:

JL:

Thank you for posting the links to the the FAQs about the 250GB policy. I'd learned about them from another customer, as they hadn't been included in Comcast's email to me, but nevertheless, I'm glad you're promoting them.

And you raise a great point in my mind: why doesn't the email link off to the FAQ so you needn't go searching for it?  I'll ask the person who puts the emails together to include the FAQ link tomorrow.  That may not help you, but you've made a good enough point that it should be a bit easier on the next waves of customers to get this email.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

I would like to know if I can watch Netflix Instant streaming tv, does that affect the 250 gb.   I don't know if streaming means it downloads the video, I share a internet account with my 2 bothers.  And, I go to school online, so I am not sure how much we use everymonth.  My brothers and I are worried about watching tv with the netflix instant streaming online.  How do I know how many movies and tv shows we can watch on it a month?
Frequent Visitor

Will there be a way for me to pay more to have a bigger usage cap?

I am not happy with this, regardless if I am under my usage budget.  This will heavily weigh against considering comcast for my ISP I move out of Tallahassee where it is the only acceptable internet connection. 

Problem Solver

Mindy10 wrote:
I would like to know if I can watch Netflix Instant streaming tv, does that affect the 250 gb.   I don't know if streaming means it downloads the video, I share a internet account with my 2 bothers.  And, I go to school online, so I am not sure how much we use everymonth.  My brothers and I are worried about watching tv with the netflix instant streaming online.  How do I know how many movies and tv shows we can watch on it a month?

Yes that would affect the cap.  I believe the information is somewhat about 2 gigs for a standard def movie with an hd being about 4.  That would mean you'd look at about 60 movies a month to be downloaded to hit the cap if they are hd.  Your school is going to count but very minimal as it's not a lot of data being moved across the network I'd imagien.
Problem Solver

glmiller9561 wrote:

Will there be a way for me to pay more to have a bigger usage cap?

I am not happy with this, regardless if I am under my usage budget.  This will heavily weigh against considering comcast for my ISP I move out of Tallahassee where it is the only acceptable internet connection. 

There is nothing right now that would allow someone to pay more to gain extra cap useage in the residential accounts.  You could end up going to a business account which I don't believe has a cap on it.  It would cost you a bit more a month though I believe.
Email Expert

glmiller9561 wrote:

This will heavily weigh against considering comcast for my ISP I move out of Tallahassee where it is the only acceptable internet connection. 

What broadband ISPs have larger (or no) usage limits? I think Time Warner's limit is something like 10 or 20 GB. I believe Comcast's cap is the largest in the industry.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Some Data Usage Meter observations;

I live in the Portland OR area, so I have had the meter for a few months. My internet connection went down Wednesday 3/10. It came back after a few minutes, but very slow < 1Mbps. I logged on to my account to check the outage board, no errors, but did notice the Data Usage Meter had a notation that it wasn’t available for this account.

I power cycled the cable modem, still slow, but fast enough to contact Comcast on chat. The tech said there was “node” maintenance (failure more likely) and all would be well in a few hours. As far as the Data Usage Meter, it is a pilot so it may still have problems, sounds reasonable. My connection speed was back after a few minutes, but no meter. I will give them a few days to fix it.

Friday 3/12 still no meter, only the “not available for this account”. Should be fixed by now, so I contact Comcast on chat. After getting the tech off the “standard fix script, reset your browser bla bla bla” she reset my modem and somehow hosed my account login. I couldn’t login and she reset my password. She said she could re-provision my modem, or wait and it would start working after I logged more usage. I told her I already had history and ~ 22g for March, doesn’t sound right. After the account hosing, I said no to the re-provision. I don’t want to take a chance on connection issues. She assured me all would be well.

So checking on Saturday 3/13 the meter was there, no history and 1 g of usage. History gone, ~22g March usage gone.

Some personal thoughts / opinions;

1) The meter is not accurate if it can’t log cumulative data for the customer to view. Many will say “who cares you got a break!”. Don’t think so if you are close to your limit, I suspect what a customer sees and what Comcast stores in its database aren’t the same, or I wouldn’t have been zeroed out for the month. Who’s to say the system doesn’t go down multiple times a month and you get reset! You check at the end of the month, and all looks good, but what you see and what is really logged aren’t the same.

2) Looks like NetForecasts per their pdf only did accuracy tests under perfect conditions. I don’t see any reference to stress testing under fault conditions. It would seem to me if they did, then what I am seeing would show up in testing. Either the meter is accurate or not, it’s black and white. If it can’t show cumulative data to a customer, it’s worthless. From what I am seeing is it is not accurate, at least from my viewpoint.

Excerpt from NetForecasts report, check out the bold section, don’t think so!

“Based on the results of our extensive testing and analsysis, NetForecast validates the
accuracy of the Comcast meter for subscribers connected to the Cisco 10000 CMTS to
be accurate within plus-or-minus 0.5% over the month. Furthermore, the reporting
system maintains that accuracy throughout all the elements of the meter system—up to
and including the final view as seen on the customer portal
. This statement applies
when comparing the meter with the actual traffic sent to and from the cable modem,
which includes some protocol overhead as explained above.”

3) Hopefully they will fix it before it is rolled out to everyone else, right now it’s an interesting experiment based on my experience. All I have to judge it by is what I see online, you can try to spin the facts anyway you want, but it’s not accurate.

4) So what really happens when your usage gets zeroed out, does Comcast’s database zero out also. I doubt it, so what numbers are used to determine if you are a excessive user, what I see or what Comcast sees?

Email Expert

If Comcast were to send you a warning about excessive use, and you then pointed out that the meter shows low use, I think they would have to capitulate. It doesn't make sense to provide a meter and then say that it's not relevant.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Barmar,

What doesn’t make sense is trying to push a flawed meter. Very simple, either it is accurate or not. This has an accuracy hole big enough to drive a mack truck through. I am really surprise Comcast would release such a flawed system.

Apparently they didn’t do a whole lot of testing, this should have been caught way before it was released to a customer. Makes me wonder about the validity of anything they have published about this meter.

Regular Visitor

I agree entirely!
Official Employee

Mindy10 wrote:

I am sure other customers here can share their experience but you can do a heck of a lot of movie streaming and other big downloading w/o coming close to the limit.  Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it.  Most people are around 2GB or so I think.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

davegreen wrote:

Barmar,

What doesn’t make sense is trying to push a flawed meter. Very simple, either it is accurate or not. This has an accuracy hole big enough to drive a mack truck through. I am really surprise Comcast would release such a flawed system.

Apparently they didn’t do a whole lot of testing, this should have been caught way before it was released to a customer. Makes me wonder about the validity of anything they have published about this meter.

The meter is not flawed.  I'd have to look @ your acct to see why it was temporarily zero'd out, but it sounds like there was a service issue.  

And for the record, we did a vast amount of testing.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

davegreen wrote:

Some Data Usage Meter observations;

I live in the Portland OR area, so I have had the meter for a few months. My internet connection went down Wednesday 3/10. It came back after a few minutes, but very slow < 1Mbps. I logged on to my account to check the outage board, no errors, but did notice the Data Usage Meter had a notation that it wasn’t available for this account.

JL: Sounds like you have a temporary account error or something on your particular acct got messed up

I power cycled the cable modem, still slow, but fast enough to contact Comcast on chat. The tech said there was “node” maintenance (failure more likely) and all would be well in a few hours. As far as the Data Usage Meter, it is a pilot so it may still have problems, sounds reasonable. My connection speed was back after a few minutes, but no meter. I will give them a few days to fix it.

Friday 3/12 still no meter, only the “not available for this account”. Should be fixed by now, so I contact Comcast on chat. After getting the tech off the “standard fix script, reset your browser bla bla bla” she reset my modem and somehow hosed my account login. I couldn’t login and she reset my password. She said she could re-provision my modem, or wait and it would start working after I logged more usage. I told her I already had history and ~ 22g for March, doesn’t sound right. After the account hosing, I said no to the re-provision. I don’t want to take a chance on connection issues. She assured me all would be well

So checking on Saturday 3/13 the meter was there, no history and 1 g of usage. History gone, ~22g March usage gone.

JL: That's logical - as care did not do the right thing.  Instead, they blew away your acct and re-provisioned it.  In the process, and as an expected and normal side effect, all of your usage was lost.  I'll need to take this up with the care org - this should not have been the action taken for this sort of issue, and I am sorry you have lost your accumulated data usage history.

Some personal thoughts / opinions;

1) The meter is not accurate if it can’t log cumulative data for the customer to view. Many will say “who cares you got a break!”. Don’t think so if you are close to your limit, I suspect what a customer sees and what Comcast stores in its database aren’t the same, or I wouldn’t have been zeroed out for the month. Who’s to say the system doesn’t go down multiple times a month and you get reset! You check at the end of the month, and all looks good, but what you see and what is really logged aren’t the same.

JL: What you experienced is not related to the meter - it's related to your acct being reprovisioned when it should not have been.

2) Looks like NetForecasts per their pdf only did accuracy tests under perfect conditions. I don’t see any reference to stress testing under fault conditions. It would seem to me if they did, then what I am seeing would show up in testing. Either the meter is accurate or not, it’s black and white. If it can’t show cumulative data to a customer, it’s worthless. From what I am seeing is it is not accurate, at least from my viewpoint.

JL: They tested under a variety of conditions.  But what you experienced is unrelated to the meter -- your acct and your history was deleted and your acct recreated.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

JL,

Thanks for the input. You need to look at this from a customer’s perspective, not your corporate view point. All I have to go by is what I see. And what I see is a flawed system that wasn’t properly tested, implemented in house, and rolled out to customers.

The facts and your response speak for themselves. It wasn’t properly tested and implemented. Too many failure points to make this a robust system. If someone in your organization can alter the data viewed by the customer from a simple online chat, you have some serious internal problems.

As for this statement “Furthermore, the reporting system maintains that accuracy throughout all the elements of the meter system—up to and including the final view as seen on the customer portal.” I bet someone would like to retract that statement, and go back and do some real testing.

Customer Expert

Edit: The post I was replying to here was removed for privacy concerns. Please do not post your email address, other people's email addresses, or other personal information in your messages. I should have moved it instead of/in addition to replying.

One part of that message was about the large salaries of Comcast executives relative to the pay of average Americans. Another part concerned lobbying the local franchising authority to force Comcast to enhance their network so that no bandwidth cap would be necessary

I agree with your opinion of the outlandish salaries. However, making the rather high 250 GB bandwidth cap public and giving customers a way to see how much bandwidth they are using doesn't seem abusive to me.

Do you know how much bandwidth you are using each month?

I don't need (and don't want to pay the taxes for) a four-lane highway between town and my subdivision unless it's necessary. The traffic doesn't require it except for the few times I need to go around the farm machinery and trash trucks.

We expect the technology to keep improving. Why force a company to put in an over-abundance of today's technology? Why not grow gradually and put in appropriate support systems when necessary with tomorrow's technology?

Yes, if your system is overloaded, insist on upgrades.

But most people don't know how much bandwidth they are using. Comcast says they set that 250GB cap high and that only a small percentage of customers exceed it. Is that true? How can legislators know what's true if no one has a way to measure their usage?

I don't have the meter here yet. How much does your meter say you're using? Perhaps you could do a survey of your neighbors' data usage. Is the 250 GB cap unreasonable? How many people are running into it? How many are close?

Message Edited by BethKatz on 03-17-2010 01:39 PM

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon