online now

discussions

Data Usage Meter Launched

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 101 of 222
All traffic both up and down.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 102 of 222
I live in Seattle, WA. and don't even have a "my Devices" tab. 
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 103 of 222

X-Plam wrote:
I live in Seattle, WA. and don't even have a "my Devices" tab. 

You have to make sure you are the primary account holder.  If you are not, you need account & billing rights assigned by the primary.  If you still cannot see it, email we_can_help@cable.comcast.com for help.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 104 of 222

JL, Any chance you've come up with a rollout schedule?  Specifically I'm interested in the Chicago area Smiley Happy

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 105 of 222

I live in Seattle, WA and was eagerly awaiting this feature's rollout.  But when it came out, I went to http://customer.comcast.com/, went to the Users & Settings tabs.  Sadly the My Devices box just said "The usage meter is not available for this account".  Google brought me to this thread, and after reading Jason's advice, I went to Live Chat to see if they could fix my incorrectly provisioned device.

The tech did something which presumably caused my internet connection to go down briefly, so I didn't get to finish the chat.  But once I was back up, I checked, and now the My Devices box said "The usage meter is not available for this account", same as before, but underneath it also had Device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, and Domain Helper ON.  (I had previously turned domain helper off for my account, so whatever they did reset that).

So reprovisioning the device (I presume that's what was done, since that's what I asked for, following Jason's advice), did change something, but did not produce my Broadband Usage Monitor.

The next day I spent several hours with Live Chat again, where he reprovisioned my device again maybe a couple times, and also tried somehow resetting my Comcast customer portal login.  No effect.

Jason, can I PM you too, like you offered for ObjetDart?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 106 of 222

lethe wrote:

I live in Seattle, WA and was eagerly awaiting this feature's rollout.  But when it came out, I went to http://customer.comcast.com/, went to the Users & Settings tabs.  Sadly the My Devices box just said "The usage meter is not available for this account".  Google brought me to this thread, and after reading Jason's advice, I went to Live Chat to see if they could fix my incorrectly provisioned device.

The tech did something which presumably caused my internet connection to go down briefly, so I didn't get to finish the chat.  But once I was back up, I checked, and now the My Devices box said "The usage meter is not available for this account", same as before, but underneath it also had Device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, and Domain Helper ON.  (I had previously turned domain helper off for my account, so whatever they did reset that).

So reprovisioning the device (I presume that's what was done, since that's what I asked for, following Jason's advice), did change something, but did not produce my Broadband Usage Monitor.

The next day I spent several hours with Live Chat again, where he reprovisioned my device again maybe a couple times, and also tried somehow resetting my Comcast customer portal login.  No effect.

Jason, can I PM you too, like you offered for ObjetDart?

My usage monitor is now working. Jason, if it was you who fixed that for me, thank you so much!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 107 of 222

Jason, quick question - in early December you mentioned that the Usage Meter would begin rollout to the rest of the country in the "First Quarter" of this year, following the pilot in Portland. I see that parts of WA (specifically Seattle) now have it, and we're now approaching halfway through the first quarter, so I thought I'd check - are we any closer to having a more specific schedule for introducing the Usage Meter to the rest of Comcast's customers?

Thanks for any light you can shed!

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 108 of 222

FWIW~~ The meter has hit Mass. along with a snow storm.. Smiley Wink  Subject title in email was USAGE METERILOT LAUNCH-- from comcast online..

Not knowing if spam or phishing, I used the link from Jason's original post; meter there..  I did bookmark the link and put it at the top of my browser toolbar...  Easy access to do a quick check..  Smiley Wink

ciao, bj

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 109 of 222
This is nothing more than an introduction to a user fee increase. Themeter will alow you to estimate your monthly fee for hours/minutes logged online. Mark my words. What other reason would Comcast be doing this...We all can estimate the time we spend online without a useage meter. Useage fee's are coming!!!!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 110 of 222

Any idea if it's launched in Sacramento, CA yet? I don't see the "My Devices" tab/link at all either. Do we not have it or am I bugged like some of the others?

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 111 of 222
You should get an email when it's launched in your area.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 112 of 222

Customers have been begging for this for a year and a half, ever since Comcast announced the 250 GB/mo cap. They complained "How can you have a cap if we can't tell how much we're using?" Sure, you can estimate how much TIME you're spending online, but few people have any idea how that translates into bandwidth.

I guess there's no way to please everyone, but I think this will please more people.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 113 of 222

Comcast is a (REMOVED) company. They are too cheap to upgrade their systems to handle all the people who use their service so instead they just slap a limit on to everybody. They are also living in the past because they think all people do is write emails and check the news....no, comcast, people play online games, download music (LEGALLY) from itunes, watch youtube, hulu, send IM's, watch HD streams, use playstation network on their ps3, xbox 360 live, and 250GB is nothing to snare at. So when someone hits the cap from playing an online game, they're going to get threatened to lose their service for a year and/or be investigated for copyright infringement? You won't even tell people in words what they used for a month. You make this stupid meter thing. Here's an idea, don't like people over-straining the network, upgrade your systems and stop limiting everyone. 

If this wasn't the only company in this area I'd get rid of them completely. 
Message Edited by nicoge21 on 02-16-2010 02:57 PM

Message Edited by ComcastGeorge on 02-17-2010 02:51 PM
Posted by
New Poster
Message 114 of 222

I have to say... I have Comcast in two locations (MA and NJ).  In both cases, Comcast is BY FAR the fastest, most reliable service available.  In NJ, Verizon was SO BAD... it cut out all the time, in the middle of a VoIP call, a video, anything.  And when it DID WORK, it was often so slow, you couldn't even watch YouTube with it.  I was incredibly grateful when I got the OPPORTUNITY to pay $99 to have Comcast installed (they had to set up a new tap first, so I had to wait six months and suffer with Verizon).  With my Verizon link, there was NO POSSIBLE WAY to reach 250Gb/mo, even if you tried.

As many have pointed out, 250Gb is A LOT.  And I appreciate the transparency and net neutrality involved (net neutrality means that you get the same access to all content providers, no matter who they are or what protocol they use).  As long as there are NO OVERAGE CHARGES, I don't really care what Comcast does, as long as it is fair, transparent and reasonable.  I just don't want to have worry about excessive monthly bills from Comcast, as I do from my cellphone provider.

As for all the talk about the accuracy of the meter --- there are so many variables, nothing is ever going to be "accurate."  I think it's better that it's kept simple; if you're off by 10%, just make the limit 10% higher (which apparently, Comcast has already done).   Really, all that pinging and upstream traffic and attempted phishing attacks and email and checking the account meter won't make an appreciable difference.  The ONLY THING that will really push up the limit is high-def video use.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 115 of 222

BobBos wrote:

The ONLY THING that will really push up the limit is high-def video use.

Another thing is BitTorrent apps...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 116 of 222

Hmmm..  NOV~6GB    DEC~3GB   JAN~5GB --  Through 2/17~1GB

It appears that I have an excess of UNDER USAGE..   Since I doubt that comcast will give me any credit,    I 'll put those GBs out to bid...    Any takers?  Smiley Wink

ciao, bj

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 117 of 222

BlueJay wrote:

It appears that I have an excess of UNDER USAGE..   Since I doubt that comcast will give me any credit,  

We can dream can't we BJ ? Smiley Wink

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 118 of 222

jlivingood wrote:

dukeofhurl wrote:
I am in Portland. I do not have access to the meter. Under My Devices it displays No device information is available.

More areas are being phased in on Monday - all of your area to complete by end of year.

Checked, not here in Michigan yet.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 119 of 222

EG wrote:

We can dream can't we BJ ? Smiley Wink

Dream, yes, EG...  But lately those comcast dreams are nightmares.. Smiley Wink Smiley Happy

ciao, bj

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 120 of 222
Agree with you on most seniors don't watch TV online. I know my mother doesn't, of course she knows nothing about computers. And I don't think my brothers father-in-law does and he does have an Internet accoutn
Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 121 of 222

Hey BJ,

reselling your Comcast service is against the ToS - lol  Smiley Wink

Message Edited by kevj on 02-21-2010 06:11 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 122 of 222

I am in the Twin Cities, MN market and got an email on 2/17/10 saying the meter has been launched in my area. I logged in as the primary on the account and there is no View Details link and no My Devices section at all. I e-chatted with a tech and told her about the issue, but she just kept saying "There are no listed outages for the meter, I don't know why you can't view the meter." Even after I told her it may be due to improper provisioning (which I read here) she didn't know what the problem was.

I tried logging in as an unrestricted on the account, no luck. Cleared temp files, power cycled, used Firefox and IE, all with no luck.

What is my next step?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 123 of 222

bpharm wrote:

I am in the Twin Cities, MN market and got an email on 2/17/10 saying the meter has been launched in my area. I logged in as the primary on the account and there is no View Details link and no My Devices section at all. I e-chatted with a tech and told her about the issue, but she just kept saying "There are no listed outages for the meter, I don't know why you can't view the meter." Even after I told her it may be due to improper provisioning (which I read here) she didn't know what the problem was.

I tried logging in as an unrestricted on the account, no luck. Cleared temp files, power cycled, used Firefox and IE, all with no luck.

What is my next step?

Email we_can_help@cable.comcast.com.  There's some kind of problem with how your account is provisioned -- you should see a device there in your acct mgmt console (no matter whether you have the meter yet or not).

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 124 of 222

jlivingood wrote:
-- you should see a device there in your acct mgmt console (no matter whether you have the meter yet or not).

What page is it that you are calling "acct mgmt console"? When I log in on https://customer.comcast.com I see under the "Users & Settings" tab that I am the primary account and have the opportunity to create a secondary user, but nowhere under any of the tabs do I see any mention of "device".

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 125 of 222
I also don't see a My Devices section, I just see the meter on that page in the place where My Devices used to be. The My Devices section used to have the option to turn DNS Helper on and off, but that's been moved down to where other miscellaneous options are.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Message 126 of 222

bpharm wrote:

I am in the Twin Cities, MN market and got an email on 2/17/10 saying the meter has been launched in my area. I logged in as the primary on the account and there is no View Details link and no My Devices section at all.

Ditto.  Seeing the exact same thing here: nothing. No "My Devices", no "View Details"

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 127 of 222
Just in case you need another voice, I too see nothing where the "My Devices" used to be.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 128 of 222

Likewise.  When the DNS helper option was moved to the bottom of the left column, the devices entry disappeared.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 129 of 222
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but anyone still having issues with this?  I have nothing showing where it should be...no device manager, nothing.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 130 of 222
It's not old, it's still pretty fresh.  And yes, we're still having the (as yet unacknowledged) problem
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 131 of 222
He originally posted that message in the old pilot thread, I moved it here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 132 of 222
Oops.  Sorry, but there was no clue.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 133 of 222

jmb667 wrote:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but anyone still having issues with this?  I have nothing showing where it should be...no device manager, nothing.

Thanks for moving it Barmar.

Anyone have any updates?  I got an email back from Support stating that I would be notified when it was being rolled out in my area...but they already said it'd be available in my area months ago...???

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 134 of 222
Where are you located? The pilot program was in Portland, they're the only ones who should have been notified months ago. The wider rollout just started a few weeks ago, I don't know how rapidly it's going. I'm in the Boston area and I got it a couple of weeks ago, but people in nearby cities and towns don't have it yet.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 135 of 222
Philomath, OR (97370), about two hours south of Portland.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 136 of 222

I just checked it out, and it told me I have used a grand total of 4GB in February.  I know for sure that it should be much more than that.  Unless they just started counting today, they're not doing a great job.

Not that I'm complaining.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 137 of 222

12xuser wrote:

I just checked it out, and it told me I have used a grand total of 4GB in February.  I know for sure that it should be much more than that.  Unless they just started counting today, they're not doing a great job.

Not that I'm complaining.

shhhhh.... Smiley Wink

TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 138 of 222
What makes you so sure that it should be more? Are you running your own bandwidth meter? Could it be counting traffic that stays within your LAN? The Comcast meter only cares about traffic to and from the Internet.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 139 of 222

If you've been notified that the usage meter has been enabled, and you don't see it on the Users and Settings page of Customer Central, it's most likely due to incorrect provisioning of your account. Get the MAC address and serial number from the modem, call Comcast, and ask them to reprovision it with this information.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 140 of 222

I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul market and had the details section over the weekend but not showing today.

Anyone else still having this issue?

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 141 of 222
I wonder if something got lost for you when the month changed and the meter was reset. I'm in the Boston area, and my usage meter is still there, but of course it shows 0 GB so far (I only used 6 GB last month, so don't expect to see it tick up until the end of the week).

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 142 of 222

I'm in the Minneapolis area and my meter is still there, showing zero for the month.

I know I used more than the 11GB on the meter for February, because I have an account with a service that keeps track of how much I download, and it was more than that.  It does look like Comcast didn't start counting until the last couple days of the month.  We'll see what March looks like.

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 143 of 222
If you click on View Details do you see usage for previous months?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 144 of 222
Yep.  February, 11GB.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 145 of 222

Actually, I don't see anything that says "My Devices".  When I select the Users & Settings tab, I see a large area called "Manage My User Accounts".  To the right of that is a smaller box labeled "High Speed Internet Usage" which has a meter for the month and a "View details" link.  It's this link that brings me to the "My Current Data Usage" page, which has this month's usage meter and the Usage History graph on it.

It's a little different than it was described in the email, but it's there.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 146 of 222
Just adding my voice to the list here - I started another thread, not realizing this issue was being discussed here: I also have no "My Devices" section. Now, I've not received word that my Usage Meter has launched yet, but I still always used to have a My Devices section. So, now I'm not sure where the meter is supposed to show up when it finally becomes available.
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 147 of 222
The email is mistaken, I believe. Comcast has redesigned the page, and the usage meter for the current month is in the place where My Devices used to be. I think the email was written when the page layout was different, and they forgot to update the email to reflect the changes between the original trial and the rollout to the rest of the country.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 148 of 222

I'm in the western suburbs of the Twin Cities and do not have it either. I've received two informational emails from Comcast and still not way to see the information. I've sent the email an Comcast, so I will wait.

Brian

Message Edited by briangw on 03-06-2010 01:24 PM
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 149 of 222
Did you call Comcast like I recommended?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 150 of 222

briangw wrote:

I'm in the western suburbs of the Twin Cities and do not have it either. I've received two informational emails from Comcast and still not way to see the information. I've sent the email an Comcast, so I will wait.

Brian

Message Edited by briangw on 03-06-2010 01:24 PM

If you received the email you have the meter.  If you cannot see the meter, you may not be logged in with the primary account.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.