New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Data Usage Meter Launched

Posted by
Customer Expert

Message 51 of 222

Flabbergast, well said. There should be no chastising here for reasoned discussion. 

I agree with net neutrality in general except when quality of service is affected. We should have access to the Internet without preferential treatment for some data. The Wikipedia article on net neutrality is useful reading.

The data usage meter is counting bits and not considering content.

The 250GB limit will need to rise. But maybe that will become the basis of tiers. People who use more will pay more just as now people who want faster speeds pay more.

But having the meter lets us see how much we are really using rather than how much we think we are using. That will give us more facts and evidence. Comcast has stated what that there is currently a 250GB monthly limit and what they do if you exceed that. Now they are providing a meter to show you how much (not what) you are using.

I consider that a move forward to help us fight for fair access to the Internet. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 52 of 222

Bethkatz,

Well met.    I can see your point, however; my interpretation of net neutrality differs in some ways.  

You see, I tend to think of net neutrality as having three main goals:  content independence, the end of data rate limiting and the elimination of what TM and Comcast have ironically deemed "Fair Sharing" of bandwidth.  I find it ironic because there really isn't anything fair about selling your customers a service without telling them up front what they are being sold (telling them in size 2 font on the last page of an SLA is a sleazy way to get a customer to "accept" certain terms).

One question that comes to mind is why Qwest can offer a completely unregulated broadband experience while Comcast finds it necessary to constrain its customers' service with rate limits, bandwidth limits, and content filtering?    If Comcast's service was superior, one may argue that you'd be paying a premium for premium services.  However, like everyone knows, cable internet is about as stable as a 21 year old actress living in hollywood.  I see my service fluctuate from great to horrid in an hourly fashion.   For example, earlier today I was getting about 3Mbps down with pings to google around 150ms.   An hour later, it was back up to a sustained 7Mbps with pings to google around 50ms.  

What that tells me is that Comcast does not want to invest in their network.  My hope is that net neutrality will force ISPs to compete once again and when given a choice, most customers will select an unregulated service over a regulated one.  As it stands, Comcast is taking advantage of its customers and as an telecom professional, it makes me sad to see what the industry has become.  

Cheers.  

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 53 of 222

I love the way they make this sound like a good thing...what a bunch of **bleep**. We went from unlimited usage to a cap and somehow you market this as a feature. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end of Comcast.

If something affects 1% of users it is not a feature to punish the other 99% by adding a cap. No matter how you try and market it!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 54 of 222
 My replies inline in blue

flabbergast wrote:

As a new member to the forum, I must wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.  

How can you tell what people are going to do with their connection?  Do you go to everyone's home and ask them politely, or perhaps take a ethernet capture, of what they are doing with the bandwidth that they pay for?  Probably not.  

[JL] Which is of course why a centralized data usage meter is worthwhile.

As we continue to enter the digital age, to say that 250GB of data is "a lot" is folly. I download game demos (1GB each), trailers, and HD movies (7GB each) quite often.  As Hulu and other streaming services become popular, the notion that ISP's can continue to limit a person's ability to gain access to these services will become obsolete per the statements made by Julius Genachowski, the FCC Chairman. 

[JL] Having a data usage limit, which limits excessive usage of a flat rate residential service, is by no means limiting anyone's ability to gain access to any services.  It is limiting excessive data usage.  Also, from the perspective of various regulatory groups, there is not a concern with having such a limit provided that it is clearly disclosed to customers and not a hidden or variable limit that is unevenly applied.

So I question the intent of Comcast to continually undermine not only the will of the customers, but the will of the FCC.  What is the intent here?

[JL] Nothing related to the meter is contrary to the direction the FCC is moving in or problematic from the standpoint of "network neutrality."

In October of this year,  the FCC approved a notice of proposed rule making on the subject of net neutrality.  Essentially, sometime in 2010, ISPs will be forced, under penalty of law, to maintain unfettered access to the services that a customer as bought based on net neutrality.  This means no more 250GB limit, no more rate throttling and no more discriminating behavior.  

[JL] We don't engage in rate throttling or discriminatory behavior today, so nothing to change there.  Our transparency is now industry-leading (see http://networkmanagement.comcast.net), and we've been lauded for our protocol-agnostic congestion management system.

So again, I ask the question why Comcast continues to impose dictator-like rules and regulations on broadband customers?   It only serves to make Comcast appear as though they would rather sell smoke and mirrors to a customer than upgrade their networks to be more competitive in the market place   

I, for one, cannot wait for Comcast and other's to be put in their place by these new regulations.   Suppressing innovation and competition will only be tolerated for so long in this day and age. 

Chastise me if you must for my statements above.  Facts and evidence tend to have that affect on the irrational and incompetent individuals among us.   

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 55 of 222
Replies inline

flabbergast wrote:
I see my service fluctuate from great to horrid in an hourly fashion.   For example, earlier today I was getting about 3Mbps down with pings to google around 150ms.   An hour later, it was back up to a sustained 7Mbps with pings to google around 50ms.  
[JL] Conditions on the Internet vary by time of day.  When it is peak hour, more people use the Internet and Google and other sites just naturally aren't as zippy when 1,000 people are accessing a server compared to 10 people. 

What that tells me is that Comcast does not want to invest in their network.  

[JL] Nothing in fact could be further from the truth.  Apart from initially pioneering 1st generation broadband, we continue to invest significant sums in our network.  You may have noticed our DOCSIS 3.0 deployment and the fact that we have been early and aggressive investors in D3.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 56 of 222

The 250 GB cap is not an absolute, permanent cap. Remember, to be considered an excessive user, you have to be above 250 GB and one of the heaviest users. When most customers are downloading movies every day, you'll have to be much heavier than 250 GB to become one of the heaviest users. If and when 250 GB becomes common, Comcast will have to raise this cap, since it would no longer be useful for them or us.

In any case, this thread is supposed to be about the bandwidth meter, not the bandwidth cap. Whether or not you consider 250 GB to be an appropriate cap, the meter is still a good thing, isn't it? 

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 57 of 222

BigBrotherBashe wrote:
I do not appreciate the "big brother meter" that was just announced.
Do you realize that the bandwidth cap is over a year old, the only thing that was just announced is a web page that will let you see where you stand relative to it? How can anyone not appreciate that?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 58 of 222

I'm not an internet expert and I don't really understand all of the fine points of net neutrality, but let me tell you what I think "fair" is in the context of being a Comcast customer.

If I have a neighbor up the street that downloads 250GB/mo of stuff around the clock and it slows down my service, then that is not fair to me.  I don't care if it is due to a network design decision that Comcast made years ago or for any other reason.  If there is someone hogging a limited resource that impacts the rest of us, then I expect something to be done about it. 

One thing that could be done would be for Comcast to spend unlimited $$ to build out the system so that everyone could download 1TB/mo, but that is not cost effective (and there would be someone in my neighborhood that would want to download 2TB/mo).  The other thing that could be done would be to ask the highest users to pay more so that Comcast could add the infrastructure to allow them to download huge amounts of data without impacting the rest of us.  That seems the most fair to me.

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 59 of 222

Comcast has a separate mechanism in place to deal with that neighbor who's slowing things down for everyone else. See http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?seoid=Frequently-Asked-Questions-about-Network-Mana... for an overview of it. Basically, if a node is overloaded, the heaviest users are given lower priority, so that the lighter users are not impacted.

This has nothing to do with net neutrality. Net neutrality is about not allowing ISPs to give preferential treatment to different content providers, e.g. Google can't pay Comcast so they'll give Youtube traffic higher priority than Hulu.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 60 of 222

The internet is intrinsically rate limited as it is a shared resource utilizing limited capacity equipment. As to "fair sharing" that doesn't mean free. Comcast charges more for faster connections (Mb/second). What they haven't done yet is charge more for more data (Mb/month). Net neutrality is about not giving xyx company better access to comcast customers because XYZ company pays Comcast for better access. It isn't that an ISP can't limit speed or volume, only that the ISP can't limit traffic from some sources and not others. Or limit a particular type of traffic while not limiting other types of traffic at the same time. I wonder if that means they can't refuse email from known SPAM sources? That is one place where Comcast places a significant (read total) limit on access. Net neutrality does permit Comcast to balance traffic to its customers that are sharing a limited resource such that one customer can't unduly monopolize the shared resource. What Comcast got called on was restricting usage for P2P traffic strictly because it was P2P traffic.

Before you question my comment about not being able to stop SPAM remember that government regulations are a case study in the "law of unintended consequences". 

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 61 of 222

flabbergast wrote:

Bethkatz,

Well met.    I can see your point, however; my interpretation of net neutrality differs in some ways.  

You see, I tend to think of net neutrality as having three main goals:  content independence, the end of data rate limiting and the elimination of what TM and Comcast have ironically deemed "Fair Sharing" of bandwidth.  

Well, the fact that you don't understand the concept of Net Neutrality is neither here nor there.

I find it ironic because there really isn't anything fair about selling your customers a service without telling them up front what they are being sold (telling them in size 2 font on the last page of an SLA is a sleazy way to get a customer to "accept" certain terms).

You have a point there. On the other hand, it's extremely unlikely that anyone who would be affected by a 250 MB cap would be unaware of its existence.

One question that comes to mind is why Qwest can offer a completely unregulated broadband experience while Comcast finds it necessary to constrain its customers' service with rate limits, bandwidth limits, and content filtering?    

Another question that comes to mind is: Why do you make up stuff?

http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/eup/16915_EUP_Details-15.pdf 

What content is Comcast filtering?

If Comcast's service was superior, one may argue that you'd be paying a premium for premium services.  However, like everyone knows, cable internet is about as stable as a 21 year old actress living in hollywood.  I see my service fluctuate from great to horrid in an hourly fashion.   For example, earlier today I was getting about 3Mbps down with pings to google around 150ms.   An hour later, it was back up to a sustained 7Mbps with pings to google around 50ms.

You do know that Comcast doesn't host Google, right? 

What that tells me is that Comcast does not want to invest in their network.  

That doesn't even tell you where the problem was. BTW, my standard Comcast service level has gone from 1.5 Mbs to 8+ Mbs over the last few years. 

My hope is that net neutrality will force ISPs to compete once again and when given a choice, most customers will select an unregulated service over a regulated one.  

Almost all customers would choose a service with a 250 GB cap rather than a more expensive uncapped service. 

As it stands, Comcast is taking advantage of its customers and as an telecom professional, it makes me sad to see what the industry has become.  

Get out the crying towel, then. You can have caps on flat rate service or you can have service tiers, and you're gonna be unhappy about both options, aren't you?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 62 of 222

Well, I'll say this again. (I'm sure I'm wrong)Smiley Wink

I believe the delay of the usage meter allows enough time for Comcast to "ferret out" and attempt to get rid of the heaviest users, thus allowing more bandwidth for several more customers.

Bandwidth = limited.  Customers = unlimited.  More $

Centurylink DSL has no cap.

I'd be curious to know how many customers have been axed since the limit's been imposed.

I'll believe the meter when I see it.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 63 of 222

dh7132 wrote:

What market are you located in?

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 64 of 222
We'll happily try all markets.  I'll inquire for Chicago (Northern 'Burbs).
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 65 of 222

jlivingood wrote:

dh7132 wrote:

What market are you located in?

Chambersburg PA

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 66 of 222
Thanks for advising where you are.  Now that I'm back at work after the hoilidays, I need to start working through the deployment schedule.  I'll advise when I have more info.
JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 67 of 222

Hi,

I was excited to receive the "Usage Meter: Pilot Launch" email over 2 weeks ago, but when I follow the instructions and go to "Users & Settings" like it says, it just says "The usage meter is not available for this account." 

I don't understand why I would receive this email if I'm not part of the pilot.

I am located in Eugene, OR.

Thanks!

Posted by
Customer Expert

Message 68 of 222

If Jason (jlivingood in the post above yours) doesn't reply, send him a personal message by clicking on his name. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 69 of 222

ObjetDart wrote:

Hi,

I was excited to receive the "Usage Meter: Pilot Launch" email over 2 weeks ago, but when I follow the instructions and go to "Users & Settings" like it says, it just says "The usage meter is not available for this account." 

I don't understand why I would receive this email if I'm not part of the pilot.

I am located in Eugene, OR.

Thanks!

Do you see any devices there?  If not, contact customer care (e-chat recommended) and ask them to fix your account (incorrect device provisoning).

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 70 of 222
Yes, there is one device listed.  It looks like a MAC address.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 71 of 222
Indeed - this is just a setup for rate increases. And you can kiss that 250 gig limit goodbye as that is just an arbitrary number at this point. Never thought I would have to consider DSL or wireless but this just about does it for me. I signed on for unlimited internet period. I download zip but I do not like the concept at all. What next, Comcast starts sending our surfing info to Barry O. and the nannies in DC?
Posted by
Contributor

Message 72 of 222

jlivingood wrote:
Thanks for advising where you are.  Now that I'm back at work after the hoilidays, I need to start working through the deployment schedule.  I'll advise when I have more info.

Any chance you've gotten time to look at the deployment schedule?
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 73 of 222
The ongoing schedule is not yet finalized...  When I have more info that I can share I will post it.
JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 74 of 222

79Cougar, what makes you think you'll get unlimited bandwidth by switching? Lots of ISPs have bandwidth limits, and Comcast's 250 GB/mo is an order of magnitude higher than most others. And if you switch to DSL, the speed will be so slow that you'd hardly be able to reach the limit anyway.

Comcast has a great track record in providing good value in their Internet service. I've seen my speed increase more than tenfold since I first started using cable modems, and the price has never increased. They've also increased the email storage capacity (I don't benefit from this because I download all my mail to my computer, but many customers were hindered by the old limit), added Personal Web Pages and increased their capacity a couple of years ago (another feature I don't personally use), provided free software and services, etc.

Comcast's excessive use policy has always been targeted at just the most extreme heavy users. When normal Internet use starts approaching 250 GB/mo, I'll wager anything they'll raise the cap. They don't gain anything by sending warning notices to half the customer base.

As far as the usage meter goes, it's just a good way for customers to see where they stand, rather than being surprised. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 75 of 222

It would be helpful if the Data Meter showed the actual number of bytes used rather than rounding everything up to a Gig.  Maybe under the "details" section.

That would make it easier to track down how the user is actually consuming the data allowance.

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 76 of 222

To be in any kind of trouble, you'd need to use at least 10 GB/day, so why does it need to be much more precise than that?

Would you also complain that the speedometer in your car doesn't tell you your speed in feet/second? 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 77 of 222

It claims I'm using 3 gig a day which I find hard to believe.

If it could show me how many bytes were used more or less real time then I could try shutting off different things and see what's using up the bandwidth rather than having to wait for everything to round up to teh next highest gig. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 78 of 222

One concern I have with the meter is lack of details.  Is there a plan to add a daily breakdown?  I have started using the iDrive online backup service (which is terrific), and also to use the NetFlix streaming capability.  A combination of these two could add up to 250GB pretty quickly.  I would like to see a bar chart by day for the current month (or any month, even better) to better track when I am chewing up my bandwidth.

Second suggestion : it would be nice to have an RSS feed for my meter, or some method to email me on a regular basis.  That would remind me how our household is doing for the month, instead of making me remember to go check the site (which I almost never log in to) on my own.

Thanks!

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 79 of 222

Try to make a habit of checking at the same time every day. That should get a good idea of how much your daily usage will be.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 80 of 222

So the answer to a limited chart is to use more bandwidth every day checking the existing one?

LOL  - That's not a very good answer, sorry.

I'm smart enough to figure that one out on my own, I was trying to make constructive suggestions to Comcast on a way to make the tool better.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 81 of 222

Better still would be for Comcast to provide a mini-API so that (with an authenticated login) that the current total could be pulled (with as many digits of precision possible, but even NNN.NNN GB is probably accurate enough).  This would allow easy 3rd party development of any sort of graph people want.  Even if it was just a single web page with a login giving a total (rather than having to go through the entire cumbersome user panel. 

The benefit would be better acceptance of the totals for us "geeks", very limited development/coding costs for Comcast, and less load on the servers (as there will no doubt be 'wget' type apps written just to snag the data from the existing web page Smiley Happy

What are other people's thoughts.  JL, any chance this idea/request could be forwarded to the development team?  It would be as simple as an extra web page grabbing the same data already being provided.  I do agree there needs to be provided more precision. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 82 of 222

"I love the way they make this sound like a good thing...what a bunch of **bleep**. We went from unlimited usage to a cap and somehow you market this as a feature."

My thoughts exactly.  I've been supporting this oppressive regime for too many years.  Time to start shopping around...again.  Thanks for this "great" feature...   

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 83 of 222
Beware! This is the first step to enable them to start charging for what is used. IT will also place limits on people eventually. More control for the soon to be monopoly by Comcast. They will own NBC and the means of delivery both. If, as Comcast says 99% won't come close to the 250gb usage, when why have a meter at all? They are not doing for the 1% I can guarantee you that! BEWARE ! ! !
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 84 of 222

Just bought a new WNDR3700 router from Netgear.

This router has a Bandwidth meter with setable caps and settable levels to issue email alerts.

The documentation suggests that Netgear expects all ISPs to move toward capping.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 85 of 222
I apologize if this issue was discussed in previous posts, can you point me to where in my contract with Comcast permits Comcast to impose the 250GB limit? Obviously, this wasn't disclosed in marketing materials when I signed up for the service. Thanks.
Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 86 of 222

I'm not a lawyer, but I think Article 4 in the Terms of Service probably covers it:

4. Changes To Services

Subject to applicable law, we have the right to change our Services, Comcast Equipment and rates or charges, at any time with or without notice. We also may rearrange, delete, add to or otherwise change programming or features or offerings contained in the Services, including but not limited to, content, functionality, hours of availability, customer equipment requirements, speed and upstream and downstream rate limitations. If we do give you notice, it may be provided on your monthly bill, as a bill insert, in a newspaper or other communication permitted under applicable law. If you find a change in the Service(s) unacceptable, you have the right to cancel your Service(s). However, if you continue to receive Service(s) after the change, this will constitute your acceptance of the change. Please take the time to read any notices of changes to the Service(s). We are not liable for failure to deliver any programming, services, CHANGES TO SERVICES, features or offerings except as provided in Section 11e.

If you read the entire document, it basically says they can change any aspect of their service as they like, with or without notice (although they usually provide notice). It is up to the consumer to regularly review the Terms of Service to make sure they agree with the terms.

Bear in mind, as I stated, I am not a lawyer, so this is my interpretation of the ToS document. How you interpret it is up to you, and any action you may take based on your interpretation of the ToS is your business.

Message Edited by kevj on 01-17-2010 04:20 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 87 of 222

LatinJack,

Are you aware how large 250GB actually is?  That's so much data that there is little chance that you will be actually able to look at and digest all of it.  99% of Comcast customers don't even come close to that, and the 1% that go over it affect the rest of us by causing slow download speeds.

Just my $0.02 from the perspective of an average user.

Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 88 of 222

slouke,

I think misunderstanding of the amount of internet usage that would result in 250Gb of traffic per month is certainly a factor here, but I think the overriding factor is anger at the fact that a limit is being imposed at all, no matter how high it is...I suspect that if the cap was set at a TB/mo, the reaction would be the same...

Eventually people wil learn to accept it as part of their life, the same way as people that lease cars live with the fact that they only get to drive them a certain distance before they have to start paying extra for mileage...same principle, but that doesn't make folks angry, and start hitting the 'Big Brother' conspiracy theory button, does it??

Help us to help you!!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 89 of 222

rar4 wrote:

"I love the way they make this sound like a good thing...what a bunch of**bleep**. We went from unlimited usage to a cap and somehow you marketthis as a feature."

My thoughts exactly.  I've been supporting this oppressive regime for too many years.  Time to start shopping around...again.  Thanks for this "great" feature...   

Comcast has never been unlimited. What changed in 2008 was that they made the cap public. Before that it was just a vague "heaviest users", now it's "at least 250 GB and one of the heaviest users".
The "good thing" is the addition of the usage meter, so you can tell if you're above the 250 GB cap (which 99% of customers won't even be close to). 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 90 of 222

Beway wrote:

So the answer to a limited chart is to use more bandwidth every day checking the existing one?

LOL  - That's not a very good answer, sorry.

You could check the web page every hour and it wouldn't make a dent in the chart.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 91 of 222
Sound technical analysis and good logic will never win this argument....Irrational suspicion of conspiracy theories and lack of knowledge of what it actually takes to get anywhere near the cap wil keep this thread alive for a long time. I think I'll probably just be marking it read from now on, rather than flogging this dead horse anymore....

Help us to help you!!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 92 of 222

What it takes to get near the cap:

• Send 50 million plain text e-mails (at 5KB/e-mail)
  • Download 62,500 songs (at 4 MB/song)
  • Download 125 standard-definition movies (at 2 GB/movie)
  • Upload 25,000 hi-resolution digital photos (at 10 MB/photo)

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 93 of 222
I think the modern concern is streaming HD movies AND TV.  HD movies are about 2x the data bandwidth, and with standard def TV, the hours will add up (say 5 hours of TV and an HD movie per day you're suddenly at 5GB*28 days + 4GB*28 days = 252GB.  Now most people have a life, but lots of seniors watch this much TV.
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 94 of 222
I doubt most of those seniors are watching much of their TV online. Maybe in a few years there will be lots of customers who use online streaming for the majority of their TV viewing, but that will be then, this is now. When that happens, Comcast's cap will be adjusted to reflect the higher typical use; it should always be the case that only a small fraction of customers are considered excessive users.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 95 of 222

How do you check your data usage?

The OP posted,

jlivingood wrote:

Customers can view the usage meter by logging into Customer Central at http://customer.comcast.com and clicking on the “Users and Settings” tab. From there, click on “View details” in the “My devices” section (located toward the upper right hand of the screen) and that will go to the meter page.

Message Edited by jlivingood on 12-01-2009 11:28 AM

I live in Portland, OR and I should be able to see this but next to "My Devices", there isn't a "View Details" link.

To better illustrate -

What do I do?

Message Edited by Amerr23 on 01-22-2010 12:09 PM
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 96 of 222

Well, my Usage meter works now.  Or at least, it doesn't say "not available" anymore.

So, how do I report bugs?  The values it is reporting are wildly innacurate.  For my connection it says I used 16GB in December.  I know for a fact that I used more than that.  Better yet, it says I've used < 1GB for all of January so far.  I don't see how I can reliably monitor my usage using this tool when it's reporting such obviously incorrect values.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 97 of 222
W.I.W., you are better off that it errs on the minus side ! Shhhh.... Smiley Wink

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 98 of 222
Yeah, except how do I know whether Comcast is using the same system internally to monitor my usage? 
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 99 of 222

ObjetDart wrote:

Well, my Usage meter works now.  Or at least, it doesn't say "not available" anymore.

So, how do I report bugs?  The values it is reporting are wildly innacurate.  For my connection it says I used 16GB in December.  I know for a fact that I used more than that.  Better yet, it says I've used < 1GB for all of January so far.  I don't see how I can reliably monitor my usage using this tool when it's reporting such obviously incorrect values.

Sounds like thy added the wrong device to your account or something.  Please PM me your modem MAC.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 100 of 222

I've contacted Comcast, and my problem has been fixed.  I can view the meter now.

It seems I've used 111GB this month, with only 8 days left (I doubt I'll use the remaining 139GB in that time)

I was wondering however, does this only calculate your downloads or is it all traffic?