Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

DPC3941T drops internet when phone rings

Regular Visitor

DPC3941T drops internet when phone rings

Since installing new DPC3941T gateway in late February 2018, have had intermittent internet interruptions of 4 to 5 minutes.  I have X1 Triple Play service.  Phone line is plugged directly into gateway.  Finally noticed that the internet interruption occurs immediately after the phone rings, but not every time the phone rings.  Most often when I get a call from a number I don't recognize and don't answer, i.e., marketing or robocalls.  Coincidence or not?  Nevertheless, the internet goes down for 4 to 5 minutes.  I do not use a separate router.

After reading other problems on this forum with internet drops with the DPC3941T, some seemed to be related to earlier devices that were defective in 2017.  But I would have hoped that Comcast would not still be sending out old defective equipment a year later.  Also some folks had problems that may have been complicated by the use of a separate router or other issues.  Mine is pretty straightforward.  I use the gateway for the phone, router, wifi, everything, so there's no complicated setup or other equipment involved.   I haven't called Comcast yet about this issue but thought I'd see if anyone else has noticed their internet interruptions associated with incoming phone calls.

Cable Expert

Re: DPC3941T drops internet when phone rings

Based on my experience, a device exhibiting that behavior needs to be replaced. Smiley Sad

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Silver Problem Solver

Just a thought, are you using a cordless phone system? Does your wired internet cut out or is it just wireless? If just wireless try logging into the gateway to change the wireless channel from auto to manual on the 2.4 network, try channel 1, 6 or 11. If your phone operates on 2.4 Ghz could be just interference

Official Employee

Hi, NewNameCC - I can check your gateway, please private message me your full name, the account holder's name and address as it listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Private Message Me.  

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

comcastella,  we have the same problem with the internet dropping for about 5 minutes or so every time the phone rings from a robocall.  It appears real people we know can call us and the internet stays up, since we have been able to use it while talking on the phone.  Can you help us with this?

Tags (3)
Regular Visitor

To dandbthompson - I sent a private message to ComcastElla yesterday with my account info as she requested.  She checked out the gateway and everything looks okay, but before replacing the unit she was waiting to speak with a collegue who is a phone expert.  I'm still waiting to hear back.   I think I have isolated the problem to telemarketing robocalls.  If the gateway could filter out those annoying calls WITHOUT interrupting internet connectivity, that would be awesome.  I also am able to receive nomal calls from real people with whom I speak without the internet interruption.  I just tried an experiment by calling my landline from my cell phone, but didn't answer the landline as I don't answer robocalls, and there was NO internet interruption.  So, I'm hoping the phone guru can figure out how the robocalls cause such a disruption when "real" calls don't.  Stay tuned...

Official Employee

Hello all,

@NewNameCC - I did talk to my phone guru Smiley Happy Since you originally stated that the internet connection drops every time when somebody calls, he stated that it can only be an issue with the gateway but it rarely happens. However, if the internet connection drops only when you receive robocalls, I have a question for you. Have you tried a Nomorobo feature? I emailed you the steps to set it up. 

@dandbthompson - I emailed you the steps as well. 

Please let me know how it goes. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

ComcastElla, thanks for your reply.  I have not set up Nomorobo yet, but will think about that OR just discontinue my phone service altogether.  As I understand it, with Nomorobo, the phone will ring through once before it's diverted, so I question whether or not that will solve the internet disruption problem.  Additionally, the Nomorobo will not stop charity calls.  So, I need to pay closer attention to the source of the calls that cause the internet disruption before deciding how to proceed.  I have been keeping a log of the times of incoming calls with internet disruption, but have not logged the source of the call in an attempt to distinguish those which are automatic phone dialers with real people on the other end when I answer which would normally be a charity soliciting donation or whether they are auto dialers with a recorded message such as a politician seeking my vote or a weather emergency notification from the local municipality.  I'm not sure which of those is technically a "robocall".   I'll get back with you after gathering more information.  Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

Sorry, but whatever the problem is doubt it's to do with robocalls.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation