New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

DPC3941T Updates

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 1 of 47

Does anyome know whats up with this big looking update given to my 3941, DPC3941_2.3p14s2_PROD_sey? Edit, was just given another update today as well DPC3941_2.3p15s2_PROD_sey

46 REPLIES
Posted by
Contributor

Message 2 of 47

Got the 2.3p14s2 yesterday, guess will have to reboot the device later for the 2.3p15s2 version later on tonight or early tomorrow

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 3 of 47
You might have to restart it twice. I restated mine earlier because it was operating slowly and then when I reset it the first time it was blinking indicating the FW upgrade and then did absolutely nothing so I had to restart it manually to finish it. Also seems like it takes a bit longer for it to start up now and fully come online and both telephone lights stay on for me with only one line. Also seems like logs might be broken.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 4 of 47

Yeah already got the double phone lights on with yesterday 2.3p14s2_PROD_SEY version, even though only have 1 line, and good to know have to restart it twice possibly..

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 5 of 47

Yeah. It was kinda weird. I'm more use to auto restart after update download and when it was sitting there after it stopped the update download process I was like at the 3941, "Are you going to do something or what?" Though I also noticed as I'm digging through to check features as well that the manufacturer name was changed to Scientific Atlanta (still Cisco really) and a couple of nice features were added. A wifi spectrum analyzer is now available in the troubleshooting tab and now you can control bandwidth settings in wifi settings for both 2.4 and 5.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 6 of 47
Now there is a p16 update that once again you have to restart it to get it. All I can say so far is , how can Comcast approve of FW that doesn't work as it should or even fix it to make it work. For example, the LAN page is inaccurate, and it even seems like the Logs appear to be broken to the point of me not being able to see them anymore. Don't fix anything that's not broke or you end up breaking it.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 47

In addition to the re-naming of the firmware to Scientific-Atlanta, the Tel2 light being on even though nothing is connected to it and not being able to access any of the logs, I also show 3ea extra 2.4 and 2 ea extra 5ghz networks (all without a SSID)on top of my personal 2.4, 5ghz and the hidden 2.4 network. These show up using Nirsoft's WiFiInfoView utility. Also says the gateway is a DPC3939 even though the firmware and the lable on the gateway says DCP3941T. I have a feeling the latest firmware update did a job on these models.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 8 of 47

That's weird. Mine says its a DPC3941T on the xfinity network page. Your download version is DPC3941_2.3p16s1_PROD_sey right?

snip.PNG
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 47
Yes. Only WiFiInfoView shows the other model.
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 10 of 47

The updates for the DPC3941T, sound very similar to the updates the ArrisTG1682G had. eg; the wifi spectrum analyser, the ability to select wireless bandwidth, disappearing logs and someone mentioned 3 hidden SSID's (One of those would be for Xfinity Home service).

I'm guessing things are being made ready for their new cloud service. As well as the new XB6 gateway which should be coming out this year:

"The new platform will be pushed to all existing supported gateways -- namely the Arris 1682G, the Cisco 3941T, and the Cisco 3939 -- in the first quarter of 2017 at no cost to the consumers."

https://www.cnet.com/news/ces-2017-watch-out-wi-fi-systems-comcast-is-transforming-its-xfinity-gatew...

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 11 of 47

My gateway was updated also. I noticed because I have mine set to brigde mode,  but the wireless network lights are on . Before the update these lights were off. (2.4ghz,5ghz). I also noticed I can no longer access the Advanced menu tab.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 12 of 47
Just also wanted to mention the current version I have had 2.3p18s1 in the name but according to http://rdklicensemanifest.stb.r53.xcal.tv/ciscoxb3/ it looks like there is a firmware containing 2.5s2 coming along the way. For the first time since the newer firmware it updated on its own.
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 13 of 47

Brand new update came along. DPC3941_2.5s3_PROD_sey.

• Fixes I noticed:
    1. Tel 1 will now be the only telephone light that will light up if you have one line of Xfinity Voice.

• Feature Added:
    1. MoCA Diagnostics (didn't really get to use it myself, pretty much just displays a MoCA Network Map with some more technical information)
    2. Port Forwarding and Managed Devices are now moved to the cloud portal which can be accessed at internet.xfinity.comManaged Devices and Port Forwarding moved to Cloud PortalManaged Devices and Port Forwarding moved to Cloud Portal

• Items Still Broken, Not Working, Made Worse:
    1. System and Event Logs are still blank.
    2. For me, now LAN Ports 3&4 are used but the 3941 is stuck as saying Inactive for those instead of Active.
    3. LAN page is still inaccuarte (don't believe what the LAN page says for now or ever really).
    4. System Hardware Page is inacurate with a lot of zeroes and blanks.

If I notice any more with this update, I will edit the post when I see something else or if someone else notices something.

Some screenshots included.

LAN PageLAN Page

System Hardware PageSystem Hardware Page

Posted by
Visitor

Message 14 of 47
well it seems you all are happy with this setup. I wish the logs would work only the firewall logs have data from the 19th. I think I got 2.5s3 in this am because I think it rebooted...not available for awhile.<br>the Internet response is very poor and it would not boot up yesterday. so they got me on a 200mps package coming sat. well just like a month or so ago after the box would not boot properly... I reset it again and it works. wondering if it's a sale thing at times. my 2.4 wireless hanging off gives better Web performance. actually think the nice on the laptops and phone , or the cpu, has something to do with it too, but it shouldn't be thus hard.
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 15 of 47
Well, I do want the system and event logs to work. That's why they are there to inform us and Comcast what's going on. Remember that the prior firmware wasn't RDK-B. By prior firmware I mean before the constant stream of updates. It actually does restart on its own now when it completes a firmware upgrade download. I don't get why they would fix something as small as an additional telephone light before fixing the system and event logs. 🤔🤔
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 16 of 47
It also seems like with the RDK-B firmware that the 3941 upon a complete successful boot takes about twice as long than it did, at least for me with no changes to any of the signaling being the same prior.
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 17 of 47

There is a bit of a newer update but it seems it messed up on how it gets it's DNS Server Addresses. The IPv4 DNS are listed twice in the system on the 3941. like tertiary will show the same DNS as either th Primary or the Secondary DNS Server. On any device, it will say 6 DNS Servers, 4 IPv4 and 2 IPv6. This is how it lists on any device connected to 3941:

2001:558:feed::1

2001:558:feed::2

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 18 of 47

Hi all, if anyone needs additional help/questions with their firmware updates, I'm here. 

Thanks. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 19 of 47

ComcastKenF wrote:

Hi all, if anyone needs additional help/questions with their firmware updates, I'm here. 

Thanks. 

Hello,

A few things. Do you know why the DNS server addresses coming right out of the gateway for IPv4 are duplicated? It's sending out 4 IPv4 DNS (2 of the primary and secondary Comcast DNS Servers for IPv4) when there's only two. Do you also know why the system and event logs no longer work when trying to retrieve any information? Also, why is the LAN page showing inaccurate information? I know the 3 or 4 upstream channels people would have on their gateways are of DOCSIS 2.0 channel type, do you know why that blank on this firmware? Also by the screenshots I posted prior of the system hardware page, why is a ton of information missing or incorrect? Lastly is there any eta on these fixes to be delivered?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 20 of 47

Hi jweaver0312, I usually see duplicate server addresses because there was an established static IP server address or because of issues with the router (if one is being used), or if DHCP is enabled on multiple devices. Do any of these apply? 

I've checked out the LAN ports on your modem and I see different ports active. 

I also do see some of the 0s you were referencing in the above photos, particularly with DRAM and Flash memories. Have you tried the show version command to verify those numbers? I'd like to see if it is matching. I know that sometimes updates do reset those memory usage counts so I'm wondering if that is the case here. 

I've attempted to view my system and event logs and was successful. Which event viewer are you having trouble seeing?

By chance, are you using a webserver when accessing a LAN page?

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 21 of 47
All the DHCP is through the 3941 itself. All ports should read active. I currently use all four ports 24/7. How do I run these commands? I don't think the 3941 allows the end user to SSH into the gateway. I'm having trouble viewing all system and event logs for any time period from the 10.0.0.1/troubleshooting_logs.php page I believe that's what the page is called. I can view the firewall logs just fine. I am not using a web server when accessing a LAN page.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 22 of 47

Since the 2.3 update (Now I am on DPC3941_2.5p2s1_PROD_sey) the only log I am able to view is the Firewall Log as well. Under "Connection/Xfinity Network" DNS Servers look good. Under Gateway > Hardware > LAN Ethernet only ports 3 and 4 show inactive (I use wi-fi and don't use ports 3 or 4, although I have connected ethernet to 1 and 2 and they work, never tried connecting to 3 or 4). Performance of gateway DPC-3941T is fine.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 23 of 47

Ah I see jweaver0312... if you're using all 4 LAN ports, they definitely should show as active. That's definitely a bit strange. Are you able to use the internet when connected to all LAN ports? 

To my knowledge, FLASH memory is the only one that should retain it's data after the modem is power off. So the DRAM is my biggest concern especially since your modem has been online a few hours. 

It looks like that command is only done through a router-- so we can find another way. 

Are you able to view the system logs through the event viewer via the control panel? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 24 of 47
I am still able to use all the devices connected to it. I also wanted to point out that the connection speeds shown on the LAN page are inaccurate as well. I am not able to view any system logs except for firewall logs through the DPC3941T GUI at all.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 25 of 47

OK. Let's see if a provisioning signal will clear up some of these issues jweaver0312. When can I send one? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 26 of 47

Any time you want. You can send it now. Just let me know when you sent it.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 27 of 47

Cool. I'll send it now. It'll reboot your modem once it's received. Let me know when it's back up.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 28 of 47

I am back online. Everything is still the same as it was before. Those problems with the firmware are still present.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 29 of 47

My gateway shows the same DRAM and Flash values. I believe the 0 value of DRAM may be a GUI issue. Flash is what stores the firmware, DRAM would be used to cache data if needed. I have posted 3 pics. I also since the 2.5 firmware update cannot view any logs except Firewall. Gateway works fine otherwise. I only use wi-fi but connecting ethernet to port 1 or 2 workGateway 3.JPGGateway.JPGGateway 2.JPGs fine.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 30 of 47

Are you also using all LAN ports, MJL476 or just the two? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 31 of 47

Hmmm, jweaver0312. Have you tried a factory reset since the update was made? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 32 of 47

I use wi-fi instead of the ethernet ports but have connected ethernet to ports 1 and 2 and they work fine. Never tried 3 or 4.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 33 of 47

Yes, and same result.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 34 of 47

Ah yes, MJL476, you did mention that, thanks for confirming.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 35 of 47

jweaver0312, we could try exchanging your modem, but if it is indeed a software issue, it may be correct with the next update. I'm going to research this a bit further and let you know what I find. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 36 of 47

I believe it is a software issue mainly becuase I called a superviosr that I know and he brought in a few 3941s and put the other ones on a test account and let them update and they replicate the same problems. Keep me updated if you do find out anything else.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 37 of 47

Gotcha. Just from this thread alone I see a few people with similar results as well so it might be what you're suggesting. I've reached out to our corporate tech teams so I'll let you know what I find. They may also reach out with any additional questions. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 38 of 47

Ok. Just keep me updated on this.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 39 of 47

Will do! 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 40 of 47

FYI - I connected my Ethernet cable to each of the ports one at a time - ports 1-4. All work at 1gb and download/upload speeds are the same even though the GUI will show inactive or only 100mb/s or 10mb/s connection speed as shown in my previous pic, PC shows 1gb connection on each of the gateway ports. As a former IT/IS guy I lean towards this being a software / GUI issue. Hopefully this info will help you.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 41 of 47
Are there any updates yet from that team?
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 42 of 47

Yes actually, jweaver0312. It looks like that particular firmware update is causing some of what you're seeing, and many on this thread, have been seeing. It is not something that we can change on our end, save await the next update from the manufacturer to correct these issues. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 43 of 47

Hello, seeing the same issues and i'm on a newer firmwire update than the Original poster ....

DPC3941_2.5p2s1_PROD_sey

Connected to Lan Port 1, Shows Lan Port 2 as active

Otherwise working pretty well for the moment,  Have not factory reset it or anything though,  if i should, i can do that sometime soon here

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 44 of 47

New firmware: DPC3941_2.6p4s1_PROD_sey

Same problems exist.

New problem in newer FW: Blocked sites and keywords no longer work when attempting to add something to the list.

I need a favor. Stop approving FW for the 3941 until all these problems get fixed first. So far as more FW comes, the more features now dont work on it anymore and havent been fixed yet.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 45 of 47

I'm having the same problem. I can use Wifi to access Internet, but none of the ethernet ports work. The modem is using firmware DPC3941_2.5p2s1_PROD_sey.

Already tried factory resetting the modem twice. Can't give any log files since the modem didn't record any.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 46 of 47

I am now seeing very spotty perf on the ethernet  pings>150ms is not unusual (1 in 20'ish). Any idea why?

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 166210, Received = 165936, Lost = 274 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 3970ms, Average = 46ms
Control-C

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 47 of 47

jweaver0312 wrote:

New firmware: DPC3941_2.6p4s1_PROD_sey

Same problems exist.

New problem in newer FW: Blocked sites and keywords no longer work when attempting to add something to the list.

I need a favor. Stop approving FW for the 3941 until all these problems get fixed first. So far as more FW comes, the more features now dont work on it anymore and havent been fixed yet.

I was able to fix the blocked sites and keywords with another quick reset of the 3941.