New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Counting the days until I can choose another provider

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 1 of 15

Google on Thursday unveiled its first ultra-high speed Internet service, saying it will offer broadband connections up to 100 times faster than what many Americans receive today.

The search giant's new Internet service, known as "Google Fiber," is currently available only to residents of Kansas City, Mo., and Kansas City, Kan., which beat more than 1,100 cities in a competition to be the first to receive Google's new broadband network.

Google said customers who subscribe to the ultra-high speed web connections -- which measure a gigabit per second -- will no longer need to wait for videos to buffer or websites to load. They will be able to share large files instantaneously and take advantage of advancements in online education and health care that will require the fastest Internet speeds.

The first homes will receive service this fall and all neighborhoods will be wired by the end of 2013. Google says it will also wire schools, libraries and hospitals in Kansas City. About a quarter of Kansas City residents have no broadband access at home, according to the company.

Google says its high-speed Internet service will cost residents $70 a month or $120 a month for a broadband and TV package, which comes with a Nexus 7 tablet that is used as a TV remote. Residents will also have the choice to receive basic broadband service for free after paying $300 for construction costs.

Internet speeds in the U.S. are only slightly faster than what they were when broadband was first introduced 16 years ago, according to Milo Medin, Google's vice president of access services.

"Today the Internet is not as fast as it should be," Medin said in a blog post.

Google is not the only one trying to change that. In 2010, Chattanooga, Tenn., built the country’s first citywide gigabit-per-second Internet network, but the service cost about $300 a month.

Also, a project called Gig.U plans to build ultra-high-speed Internet networks in communities surrounding several research universities.

Still, many Americans pay higher prices for slower Internet service than residents of other countries, according to a study released last week by the New America Foundation.

For example, the study found that Hong Kong residents receive Internet speeds that are 20 times faster than those for New York City residents, while paying roughly the same price -- $35 a month -- as New Yorkers do.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/26/google-fiber-internet-service_n_1706647.html

14 REPLIES
Posted by
Contributor

Message 2 of 15

nifty. now if other people would stop throttling their upload speeds so we can see those 100mb rates.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 3 of 15

Great if you live in that area !

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 4 of 15

In all seriousness the average user has no need for a gigabit connection.  Sure it might be nice to have a 572 big block in the family mini van but is it really needed to drive the kids to school?  I'd be curious to see how Google's adventure plays out- take a look at Verizon's financial situation with Fios.  

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 5 of 15

Yeah really, wonder how many servers can actually push these new *miracle* speeds to concurrent users...

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 6 of 15

Probably not so many as of yet. But.. it's coming. 

Not only are they providing the fastest, most affordable service to residential homes in this area (Guess Comcast should stop claiming they're the fastest), they're also offering free internet. Though there is a setup fee involved for the free service, it's not much different than me shelling out 250 bucks for Comcast to send out a tech and "turn on" the 105 Mbit service.

You also have to take into consideration that you don't necessarily need a single server to serve 1000Mbit to you, but what if you have multiple users in the household or are connected to multiple servers at a time.

Comcast took a small step in the right direction rethinking their data caps but as a long time Comcast user, and someone that utilizes their connection for telecommuting, I can't help but feel it's too little, too late. Unfortunately I'm currently about 10 minutes (or 10 miles) outside their service area.

There is little question about it that if this service was available in ALL of Comcast's service areas, they probably wouldn't have a leg left to stand on. 70/mo for gigabit internet, and 120/mo for internet AND tv, with no data caps? 

Yes please.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 7 of 15

Hmmm.. FWIW, even Verizon FiOS has halted its buildout of its FTTP offering and it has a much larger coverage area than does Google's relatively tiny area. Is this really competition for CC's quite huge established coverage area. It takes lots of $$$ and a large risk of R.O.I. to build out systems nationwide !!!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 8 of 15

Comcast actually offers 10,000Mbit synchronous fiber lines but it doesn't seem a lot of people are familiar with that side of the business.  Building costs are going to be quite high for them starting from scratch and I'd like to see what kind of muxing they plan on using to the homes.  If they are getting into DWDM that is just going to make it even more ridiculous.  I know Comcast is going to start offering 305 meg residential speeds but it really is hard to beat the reliability of a fiber network.  In the end cost is the biggest factor and you really can't blame a company for trying to stretch out their current plants as long as possible before having to make the expensive switch to a fiber-only network.  

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 9 of 15

Ronny_Cordova wrote:

I know Comcast is going to start offering 305 meg residential speeds but it really is hard to beat the reliability of a fiber network.  In the end cost is the biggest factor and you really can't blame a company for trying to stretch out their current plants as long as possible before having to make the expensive switch to a fiber-only network.  

Exactly !!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 10 of 15

But, will it be $70/mo? I'm guessing not. I'd gladly pay twice that for 305, but I'll be surprised if it's even that cheap.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 11 of 15

I wouldn't say it is all about the need of it or not, it is more of a milestone for the internet in general, just being able to offer 1GB up/down for a residitional for $70 a month is amazing.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 12 of 15

Yes it is amazing.  Google is a newcomer to the ISP business, and they will set the standard. They make Comcast and AT&T look like amateurs.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 13 of 15

parker121 wrote:

Yes it is amazing.  Google is a newcomer to the ISP business, and they will set the standard. They make Comcast and AT&T look like amateurs.

Ya' think ? Does their tiny footprint / penetration do this ?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 14 of 15

EG wrote:

parker121 wrote:

Ya' think ? Does their tiny footprint / penetration do this ?

Yes it does, EG.  Our smaller community was abandoned by Verizon's slated FIOS, years ago.  Their lines were leased to Frontier, and Verizon "bugged out" of the community.  Comcast took a chance on hanging fiber in our area, and I was told they thought it might be a loser.  Today, they have rebuilt the "head-end" 5X, due to the incredible demand for high bandwidth. In other words, they are making money!! Huh...... go figure!  I currently have the 105 Mb program, and pay dearly for it.  Yes, we would utilize gigabit speeds, so I wholeheartedly disagree with your thought process.  One has to start, somewhere.  I do some biz, overseas, and the folks actually (jokingly) consider us a "third world country", as they have had much better infrastructure than we. 

Of course, it costs money! But, how are these other less affluent countries affording it? 

This is all, very frustrating!

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9238713/Google_Fiber_divides_users_into_the_fast_and_the_furi...

Posted by
New Poster

Message 15 of 15

Google's reason for trying out this is to provide a platform for Chrome SO.
Higher Internet speeds will not not hurt anyone.
Entertainment content delivery model change is on its way and when it does due to demand of entertainment consumption on mobile devices.
Remember consumer is king, just that it takes a lot of kings to effect change :-)
Ex The connected experience that Xbox One and other console Manufactures are trying to push.