Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,748,317

members

37

online now

1,906,726

discussions

Back to Top

Computer Not Recognizing New Xfinity's "Voice & Data Modem"

Frequent Visitor

Computer Not Recognizing New Xfinity's "Voice & Data Modem"

Another computer and tablet recognizes the wireless connection and connects, but my computer doesn’t show the available wifi on the list of possible connections so I can't connect to it at all.

 

The men who came to install the new "Voice and Data Modem" today, didn’t know how to fix the problem because “they’re there just to install.”

 

I have no idea what the issue is because they weren’t too clear on the issue themselves. Basically, they said that my computer’s ip doesn’t recognize the Xfinity modem.

 

Right now the only way my computer can get on the internet is through an Ethernet cable.

 

Modem: Arris TG1682G

  

ETA:

FIXED

 

I apparently had a duel-band router that broadcast on two different frequencies: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.  My computer couldn't pick up the 5 GHz so I had to change my settings to 2.4 GHz and now I have no issues.

 

Thanks to those who commented and tried to help.

 

 

Problem Solver

Re: Computer Not Recognizing New Xfinity's "Voice & Data Modem"


XYZ987 wrote:

Another computer and tablet recognizes the wireless connection and connects, but my computer doesn’t show the available wifi on the list of possible connections so I can't connect to it at all.

 

The men who came to install the new "Voice and Data Modem" today, didn’t know how to fix the problem because “they’re there just to install.”

 

I have no idea what the issue is because they weren’t too clear on the issue themselves. Basically, they said that my computer’s ip doesn’t recognize the Xfinity modem.

 

Right now the only way my computer can get on the internet is through an Ethernet cable.

 

Please help me solve this issue.

 

IPv4 Address 10.0.0.221
IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Default Gateway 10.0.0.1
IPv4 DHCP Server 10.0.0.1

IPv6 Address 2601.340.4201:4b4a:8457:76dd:92da:ddfe

DHCP: Enabled

 

MAC Address 78:84:3C:ED:14:3B


Modem: Arris TG1682G

 


    You might need a wifi range extender if it's too far away from the modem and in a high (web) traffic area.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Computer Not Recognizing New Xfinity's "Voice & Data Modem"

Up until today, I was with ATT without any issues involving their modem or wireless connections.

 

My computer doesn't connect automatically to my wireless, it doesn't even show the name of my wireless network as a possible connection.

Problem Solver

Re: Computer Not Recognizing New Xfinity's "Voice & Data Modem"

About how far are you from the gateway?
Frequent Visitor

Re: Computer Not Recognizing New Xfinity's "Voice & Data Modem"


jweaver0312 wrote:
About how far are you from the gateway?

I'm sorry, I'm clueless as to what you're askimg for, if it's my default IPv6 Gateway it's: 

fe80::faa0:97ff.fe42:1975%11

 

If you're talking physically, my modem and computer are in the same apartment and my other devices connect automatically with no problem, it's just my computer that has the issue.

Problem Solver

Re: Computer Not Recognizing New Xfinity's "Voice & Data Modem"

Would you happen to know the brand and model of your wireless card and if that driver for it is up to date?
Problem Solver

Re: Computer Not Recognizing New Xfinity's "Voice & Data Modem"

I'm just going through some of the other ideas that I have.
Connection Expert

Re: Computer Not Recognizing New Xfinity's "Voice & Data Modem"


MikeB39A wrote:
and in a high (web) traffic area.

FWIW. You must mean a high *local* WiFi traffic and not the wider internet "web" traffic situation ?




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Connection Expert

Re: Computer Not Recognizing New Xfinity's "Voice & Data Modem"


XYZ987 wrote:

jweaver0312 wrote:
About how far are you from the gateway?

I'm sorry, I'm clueless as to what you're askimg for, if it's my default IPv6 Gateway it's: 

fe80::faa0:97ff.fe42:1975%11

 

If you're talking physically, my modem and computer are in the same apartment and my other devices connect automatically with no problem, it's just my computer that has the issue.


I think the he means your home network's LAN physical gateway device and not the WAN / default gateway router / CMTS.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Computer Not Recognizing New Xfinity's "Voice & Data Modem"


jweaver0312 wrote:
Would you happen to know the brand and model of your wireless card and if that driver for it is up to date?

No, but it's a 2011 Sony Vaio  Model PCG-71913L 

System Model VPCEH25FM

Frequent Visitor

Re: Computer Not Recognizing New Xfinity's "Voice & Data Modem"

Less than 5 feet away from my computer.