Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Comcast throttling upload speeds?

Frequent Visitor

Comcast throttling upload speeds?

I've recently started streaming and have started gaining a bit of traction and making money from it however I have noticed from time to time that my upload speeds won't hold up and will bounce around from 100Kbps to the targeted 10000Kbps. This happens generally once or twice a week and makes streaming impossible, lately however it's become more frequent maybe 70% of the time I can't get a stable connection. I've contacted comcast by phone several times about this issue the first response I was given was that yes they are throttling the upload due to congestion and I was given a $16 credit to my account and a promise of a call the next day that I never received. I've also been told that they can't find any issues but it's very obvious that they are their as I'm testing as they tell me this. I usually get the run around of "we're resending the signal" or "unplug your router for 60 seconds please" which has become very frustrating over the past decade as I have a basic understanding of things. If anyone can help with the issue or at least tell me to go elsewhere for my service as it seems this won't be fixed I would appreciate it.

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast throttling upload speeds?

Since they did remove my post explaining my situation, which is the exact same in this post. I'll TLR it for you:

5 techs came out over the course of a month and a half and were all on repeat saying the same thing to me over and over.

My issue was never fixed, and I was forced to cancel and use a different ISP if I wanted the issue resolved. 

Good luck! Cancel as fast as you can!

All Replies
Gold Problem Solver

Wifi or Ethernet?

Comcast (supposedly) reports throttling at https://speedexperience.xfinity.com/ under "Traffic Management Information". Policies are summarized at https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/network-management-information/.

Are your modem's signals in spec? Often what customers believe to be "throttling" is actually poor performance due to a bad connection to the network. See Connection Troubleshooting Tips and Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts.

If you are using Wifi it's best to switch to an Ethernet cable connection if possible while measuring speed and checking the reliability of your connection to Comcast.

If you can't find the problem or you'd rather have Comcast do the troubleshooting, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or chat with them using one of the "Trouble" options at https://www.comcastsupport.com/chatentry/. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have or sign up for their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/account/service-protection-plan/, about $6/mo) and keep it for at least 60 days. If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast modem, eMTA, gateway device, or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply, I am running a wired connection and the issue was intermitant until last week and now it's constant. The coax connected to the modem is a straight shot from the amplifier that a tech setup outside that is wired directly to the street. 

Upstream Channel Bonding Value
Index 1 2 3 4
Lock Status Locked Locked Locked Locked
Frequency 16.6MHz 23MHz 29.4MHz 35.8MHz
Symbol Rate 5120KSym/sec 5120KSym/sec 5120KSym/sec 5120KSym/sec
Power Level 41.8dBmV 41.8dBmV 43.3dBmV 41.8dBmV
Modulation QAM64 QAM64 QAM64 QAM64

Cable Modem
HW Version: 5
Vendor: 07112016
BOOT Version: 1.2.1.52
Core Version: 9.1.103M2AB.SIP.PC20.CT
Model: TG862G
Product Type: TG862G
Flash Part: 32MB
Download Version: 9.1.103M2AB.SIP.PC20.CT
Serial Number: C5KBSLABS544194
Gold Problem Solver

What you posted looks OK. What do the downstream values look like?

Be aware that there are a number of additional signal quality readings that are not available at the modem. You can try getting them from one of their phone or chat reps, but having a service tech onsite would greatly increase your chances of getting accurate numbers.

Frequent Visitor

I won't be able to have a tech come out for a few weeks because we have contractors all over. Also it seems odd how suddenly it's gone from a once or twice a week for a few hours thing to constant for the past 3 days or so. 

Downstream
Channel Bonding Value
Index
Lock Status
Frequency
555MHz
561MHz
567MHz
573MHz
579MHz
585MHz
591MHz
597MHz
SNR
38.2dB
38.2dB
37.9dB
38.2dB
38.6dB
38.9dB
37.6dB
37.9dB
Power Level
7.4dBmV
7.3dBmV
7.4dBmV
7.6dBmV
7.7dBmV
7.5dBmV
7dBmV
6.4dBmV
Modulation
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
Gold Problem Solver

The downstream looks OK as well. If the problem continues, I'd recommend scheduling a service tech visit.

Frequent Visitor

That's unfortunate, I'm going to attach a picture of what my upload does during a stream just so I have it handy. The red line is an aproximate of what it should look like and what it was doing until recently. The purple is what it is actually doing.

bitrate.jpg
Gold Problem Solver

Unfortunately, the graph doesn't give us any clues where or why the fluctuation is happening. If you know the hostname or IP address of the server you are uploading to, what does a trace route to it look like?

In Windows, open a Command Prompt window, enter

tracert hostname        -or-        tracert IPaddress

and post the output.

Frequent Visitor

Not sure what the final message means as I'm recieving it for multiple ips.

tracert.JPG
Official Employee

Hello editcom, I have responded to your private message please follow up with me there. 

Expert

editcom wrote:

Not sure what the final message means as I'm recieving it for multiple ips.

To answer that question;

https://www.google.com/search?q=destination+net+unreachable.&oq=destination&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39...

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, I did manage to get that far but the thing is that I get that for IPs or hostnames that I have no connection issues with. Anyway, thanks a ton for your help and I managed to pm a comcast tech on here that looked into it further for me and found that it was due to some work being done.

Frequent Visitor

I'm having this exact same issue, and have been for a couple weeks now! Can you please let me know the fix?

Frequent Visitor

I've had over 20 techs out to my house in the past 4 years and i experience the same Slow upload speeds at random times throughout the day. and its been almost an everyday thing, i will be unable to stream because my upload speed is unable to even keep a 1500kbps stream steady without dropping tons of frames. It always comes down to a tech telling me that its because "work is being done in my area" well i've had this ongoing for over 4 years now. so is there work constantly being done everyday in my area? lol 
Its ridiculous, ive had anywhere from an experienced tech out to check the main node at the hub, to checking the pole and re running a new line from the pole to my house. then to adding a new amp to my house. Checking every line in the house. and everything always checked out fine. Yet im always left with the next morning/night or even that same day. the inconsistent upload speeds. 
at this point im just accepting the fact im always going to have these upload speed problems forever. unless Fiber comes to my area. 

Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

Since they did remove my post explaining my situation, which is the exact same in this post. I'll TLR it for you:

5 techs came out over the course of a month and a half and were all on repeat saying the same thing to me over and over.

My issue was never fixed, and I was forced to cancel and use a different ISP if I wanted the issue resolved. 

Good luck! Cancel as fast as you can!