Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast VoIP router in passthrough mode still shares 10.0.0.1 config page with Ubiquiti router's LAN

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 4

I am supporting a client with an existing network. All of the devices and WiFi on the home network point back to a Ubiquiti router at 10.0.0.1. We have frequent slowdowns and other problems on this home network, though I haven't experienced  a failure when plugged directly into the Comcast Gateway/Router. 

We have a Comcast VoIP Gateway/Router that supposedly is in passthrough mode. Plugging a computer directly to its switch, one seems to get an IP from Comcast's DHCP server on the WAN. However the local config page is still accessible at 10.0.0.1. I don't think I can change the config page to something else (there are fields to do so, but the settings don't stick- it always goes back to 10.0.0.1).

I don't think the main Ubiquiti router should share an IP with the setup page of the Comcast. It would be a lot of work to change the LAN scheme of the home to something different like 192.168.1.x as many of the devices (video doorbells, etc) are configured internally with static IPs and are difficult to access physically.

We feel a little stuck. The obvious thing to me would be to replace the Comcast Gateway/VoIP/Router with our own devices that doesn't share this IP conflict. However the analog telephones for the house rely on this piece of equipment for Comcast Voice (it's a "Triple Play" package). 

Any ideas? Keep the Comcast Router for phones and supply our own modem for internet? Would Comcast even let us do this? Are there other Comcast VoIP/Internet Gateways that don't use 10.0.0.1?

Also, while having both pieces share an internal IP of 10.0.0.1, it's not entirely clear to me that this would cause a problem. I imagine it has to do with how the Ubiquiti's WAN interface works. There could be other problems with the network I have not discovered yet. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 2 of 4

digitalsuperfun wrote:

Any ideas? Keep the Comcast Router for phones and supply our own modem for internet? Would Comcast even let us do this? ?

Were I you, that is the way I would go right now. It is allowed but you will still have to pay the rental fee for the gateway device.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 3 of 4

I'll find out if Comcast will allow us to do this. Thank you.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 4 of 4
You're welcome. It's done all the time.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon