New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast Compatible Modems and Buying My Own

ANSWERED
New Poster

Comcast Compatible Modems and Buying My Own

I'm looking for third party Comcast compatible modems could someone provide me a list?

A friend of mine told me I can just buy my own modem instead of renting one. I've spent over $600 renting my modem now, bleh. Searching I found a bunch of sites and info but I hear horror stories from friends buying their own modems and getting ripped off by people selling modems they don't even own or finding modems that just don't work for Comcast.

I found these modems on Amazon:

Modem 1               Modem 2                  Modem 3

but I dont know if they will really work for me or if I should just rent the same old modem from Comcast and ditch this effort to save a few bucks a month. 

Found these as well:  Usatoday article and thebestmodems.com but I'm still not sure what would work for me. 

I'm totally dumbfounded by this kind of stuff so some direction would be appreciated. I just want it to be easy and for somone to tell me what modem to buy. I feel like I've spent too much time searching already.

Accepted Solution

Re: Comcast Compatible Modems and Buying My Own

I wouldn't personally recommend any of the devices you brought up. Especially with Docsis 3.1 right around the corner beginning rollouts. Also, your 3rd one is just a router by itself. If you currently do have phone service and don't want to spend much, the only things I could recommend would be the tg862g, however put that device in bridge mode and use your own router, or the 822g and use your own router. If you don't have voice service and want Docsis 3.1, the two modems I would recommend are the Netgear CM1000 and the Arris Surfboard SB8200. If you want Docsis 3.1 with voice pending they let you have your eMTA equipment, I would recommend would be the Netgear C7100v which is a voice and data wireless gateway which is still undergoing testing as which I believe most of the D3.1 eMTA devices and gateways are going through. So far there's really only D3.1 modems out right now. I think there maybe one D3.1 eMTA out right now but I don't know the model number at the time. If you are to buy your own router I would recommend buying a dual band router with 802.11AC protocol.
View answer in context
Service Expert

You can find compatible retail modems here.

One suggestion.....do NOT buy from places like eBay or Craig's List, and definitely NOT from buyyourownmodem.com .

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

The link didn't work Smiley Sad

Problem Solver

I wouldn't personally recommend any of the devices you brought up. Especially with Docsis 3.1 right around the corner beginning rollouts. Also, your 3rd one is just a router by itself. If you currently do have phone service and don't want to spend much, the only things I could recommend would be the tg862g, however put that device in bridge mode and use your own router, or the 822g and use your own router. If you don't have voice service and want Docsis 3.1, the two modems I would recommend are the Netgear CM1000 and the Arris Surfboard SB8200. If you want Docsis 3.1 with voice pending they let you have your eMTA equipment, I would recommend would be the Netgear C7100v which is a voice and data wireless gateway which is still undergoing testing as which I believe most of the D3.1 eMTA devices and gateways are going through. So far there's really only D3.1 modems out right now. I think there maybe one D3.1 eMTA out right now but I don't know the model number at the time. If you are to buy your own router I would recommend buying a dual band router with 802.11AC protocol.
New Poster

jweaver0312 You are so helpful. Thank you! I looked it up and found alot about the gigabitpro speed for Comcast is coming and will need the Docsisi 3.1 to work. I was trying to go ultra cheap but I'd rather have something that works and works really well. So thanks to your suggestion and a little more digging around I'm going to get these

Modem             &            Router

Let me know if i'm making a poor choice. Thank you!!

Problem Solver

If you don't plan on getting gigabit internet even if they put it in your area, it still is better to have more channels, for congestion purposes so that you can still hopefully have your speeds. For example if you have Blast! internet/Blast!/Blast! Pro it's named differently in certain areas, it would require currently at least a D3.0 modem with at least 8 downstream channels I believe that's where it stands so far. I also found a newer version of the model router you provided, $10 more but includes a third external antenna. So far it looks alright. As long as you don't have their phone service I think you should be good to go. Also make sure you keep the receipt forever for purchasing your own modem and returning the rented equipment.
Connection Expert

Obijuan21 wrote:

Router

Let me know if i'm making a poor choice. Thank you!!

FWIW, there are better choices than that router. Here is an excellent site for researching routers;

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Obijuan21 wrote: The link didn't work Smiley Sad

It should. Could you describe what you mean by "didn't work"? Also, try a different browser, or http://mydeviceinfo.g.comcast.net/ (caution: page may not be up-to-date).

Frequent Visitor

While I have triple play and the requisite DPC3941T Gateway, I don't use voice on this system at all.  Never have, never will.  So all I'll need is a cable modem that can go into bridge mode AND be ready for the next generation speeds coming.  Suggestions?  I am switching my Xfinity Gateway today in desperation that all will be back to normal, as I need my NetGear' R7000's ports for the hubs used in my home automation setup.  While bridge mode is providing me ethernet, and thus no handshake to the NetGear router, I am temporarily using the Gateway's radios for home internet while we figure this out.

So, cable modem that is ready for next gen speed and bridge mode?  If my trip to Comcast fails to find a working Gateway and a tech can't fix this, then I need to try an alternate...

Connection Expert

Any *straight* cable modem (not a combo gateway device) is already a layer 2 bridge so there is no way to and no need to put it in to bridge mode. That said,  if you want to make somewhat more of a *future proofed* purchase, get one of the latest DOCSIS 3.1 standard capable modems like the Netgear CM1000 or the Arris SB8200. DOCSIS 3.1 is right around the corner if not already available in your area;

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-CM1000-Ultra-High-Speed-Cable/dp/B01I5TJGSE

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6SKK1G

The 3.1 modems remain backwards compatible with yet to be upgraded 3.0 systems.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

Also you would have to downgrade to a double play because if they find out that you no longer have a voice modem active when they do an audit on your account, they will take away your triple play discount.
Connection Expert

Deleted... NWI....

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

And once purchased, I assume I need to get on the phone with customer service to register the device and get it online?

Problem Solver

Or you can use online self activation at https://activate.comcast.net/Activate/walledGarden
Connection Expert

FWIW, connect it to the coax line Let it fully sync up with the system ("DS, "US", and the "Online" lights are steadily lit). Connect a computer to it and open up a browser. You *may* see their "Walled Garden" modem self registration page. If so, follow the screen prompts. Have your account number handy.

If not, try calling 1-855-652-3446. That is their device activation line.

If that doesn't work for you you can call 1-800-comcast and tell a rep that you would like to have a new modem provisioned for service. Have the RF / HFC MAC address and the serial number of it handy when you call.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for all the help.  My conversation with a tech about "downgrading" to internet/cable only was met with laughter, for which he immediately apologized and told me "good luck.".  Not sure if this is best done negotiating over the phone, or in person with the guy at the service deck (where we swap hosed hardware).

Official Employee

Hi boss281! You can get assistance from the service centers, call centers, or through social media on Facebook, Twitter, or here in our Forums.

Since you've reached out on forums, I would be more than happy to help with downgrading your services. Can you send me a private message with the first and last name of the account holder, and street address associated with your services?

To send a private message, click on my name then click private message me and we can proceed. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
New Poster

If you still need it, this is a great next gen modem Arris SB8200

Connection Expert

Obijuan21 wrote:

If you still need it, this is a great next gen modem Arris SB8200

FWIW, I already linked to that model back in message number 10 of this thread..

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thanks EG Somehow I missed that

Regular Visitor

For those searching on Google.

If you like NETGEAR it  has a couple of very good ones. Someone already mentioned the CM1000. That coupled with a router like the R9000 or Orbi is a pretty wicked set up.

If you are on a budget then you can look into the CM700 for just a plain modem.

A modem/router combo and best current NETGEAR option is the C7100V which is made specifically for Xfinity Internt and Voice services. A less expensive option would be the C7000.

Connection Expert

OP has not returned. Marked "solved" thread now being closed.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon