Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Comcast Arris TG862G does not provide public IP address to my Edge router when Bridge Mode

Regular Visitor

Comcast Arris TG862G does not provide public IP address to my Edge router when Bridge Mode

Configuration is Dell laptop with Ethernet connected to TG862G port 1.

when Enabling bridge mode on the Comcast Arris TG862G and rebooting the gateway after making the changes. Two issues have occurred.

1. After letting the TG862G set idle no power for at least 5 minutes, then plugging in the gateway to boot back up, the 2.4 and 5.0 wireless radios are still showing connected. Are the lights on front panel are they on or off in bridge mode?

2. Once back up the gateway does not provide a public IP address?

What is the issue with the gateway or do I have to turn off the radios, and if so how do I do that?

The configuration that I am trying to accomplish is to control the routing functions through the Ubiquiti Edge Router and wireless through Ubiquiti AP. These work great on my sons configuration at his house in Washington state. I need to add a VPN to my home network and I can do this only if I have Internet connectivity from the gateway to my Edge router then to my 5 port and 8 port gigibit switches.

let me know how to fix this gateway TG862G (XB3) for bridge mode and WiFi disabled.

regards 

Papa3304

New Poster

Re: Comcast Arris TG862G does not provide public IP address to my Edge router when Bridge Mode

I'm having the same EXACT issue.  Did you get this to work?  If so please let me know.  Thanks in advance.

Authorized Vendor

Re: Comcast Arris TG862G does not provide public IP address to my Edge router when Bridge Mode

I could be wrong but I do believe when in bridge mode the Xfinity WiFi is still enabled so the lights for the WiFi would be on.. 

When making the change to bridge mode and have a laptop connected I would reboot the modem before connecting the router..  Your allowed to have 1 IP and if the laptop gets the 1 IP then you connect the router you wouldnt get the second..

Any time you want to change the device behind the modem in bridge mode or have a cable modem and want to change the device you need to reboot the modem..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..