Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3.0 Data Modem + Worse xFinity Tech Support CSR ever! "AlokKumar" Horrible!

New Poster

Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3.0 Data Modem + Worse xFinity Tech Support CSR ever! "AlokKumar" Horrible!

I have the above Cisco.  I'm loosing connection several times a day.  Not sure if firmware or some other issue.  The firmware hasn't changed since 2015 it appears (but I don't know that for certain)... 

I tried dealing with "tech support" via chat... the guy didn't understand a thing. Help... please. Smiley Sad

Power Level:
Channel 1: 54.0 dBmV
Channel 2: 54.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 53.5 dBmV
Channel 4: 54.0 dBmV

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: -6.5 dBmV 40.8 dB
Channel 2: -5.9 dBmV 41.3 dB
Channel 3: -5.7 dBmV 41.4 dB
Channel 4: -4.9 dBmV 41.9 dB
Channel 5: -3.9 dBmV 42.2 dB
Channel 6: -3.6 dBmV 41.8 dB
Channel 7: -4.2 dBmV 41.8 dB
Channel 8: -4.5 dBmV 40.9 dB

DOCSIS Downstream Scanning: Completed
DOCSIS Ranging: Completed
DOCSIS DHCP: Completed
DOCSIS TFTP: Completed
DOCSIS Data Reg Complete: Completed
DOCSIS Privacy: Enabled

Model: Cisco DPC3008
Vendor: Cisco
Hardware Revision: 1.0
MAC Address:  
Bootloader Revision: 2.3.1_R3
Current Software Revision: d3000-c2000r5593-150812a-L2VPN-CMCST
Firmware Name: d3000-c2000r5593-150812a-L2VPN-CMCST.bin
Firmware Build Time: Aug 12 16:17:16 2015
Cable Modem Status: Operational
Connection Expert

Re: Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3.0 Data Modem + Worse xFinity Tech Support CSR ever! "AlokKumar"

The upstream power is too high / out of spec and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test.

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3.0 Data Modem + Worse xFinity Tech Support CSR ever! "AlokKumar"

Thanks for the reply.  I had a tech here not-to-long-ago and they redid the wire from the pole as well as all connections and said my signal, etc. was great.

Apparently something has changed.

Hopefully I can get a tech to come.  After my experience with the "Chat" CSR -- I'm sort of concerned ~ yes, he/she was really that bad.

Wish me luck. LOL.

Thanks,

Pete

New Poster

I'm currently chatting with yet another CSR "Jayson" -- so far, it doesn't look very good either with this one.  Hopefully he will figure out that we need to escalate this to somebody in the United States that knows something about connectivity.

So frustrating.

Official Employee

Hello OldPete,

I am sorry to hear about your connection. I would like to review your account but would require your confirmation that I am looking at the correct account. Would you please PM your phone number and address so I can begin? Thank You

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon