Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Chromecast and Arris TG862 Gateway

New Poster

Chromecast and Arris TG862 Gateway

I'm having issues trying to setup Chromecast on my Comcast Xfinity service. I have an Arris TG862 Gateway. So from what I gather from Google I need to do the following.

• AP isolation must be disabled
  • Client isolation must be disabled
  • UPNP must be enabled
  • You must not be on a VPN
  • You must not be on a proxy server

So have no problems accessesing gateway settings at http://10.0.0.1/. (Default credentials = Admin / password)

• UPNP is located on Advanced / Device Discovery
  • I believe VPN and Proxy are off by default so unless you have played around with these you should be fine.

I haved called comcast support , but think this is over their head. Where do I access AP isolation and Client Isolation? ...is that even possible with this gateway? Do i have to go into bridge mode and shell out for a modem? Can I get a different model that will let me modify these settings?

Here is what I got from Google:

Thank you for contacting Google. I spoke with you regarding your Chromecast. I understand your concerns about this situation and I'm happy to help.

It was a pleasure assisting you today. As mentioned I'm sorry to hear you’re having trouble setting up your Chromecast. We ask that you first check our Chromecast Router Compatibility page here for your specific router:https://support.google.com/chromecast/table/3477832.

If your router is not on that list, please try the additional troubleshooting steps below. If you are unfamiliar with your specific router settings or unsure of how to change your settings, please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for assistance.

1. Is this Chromecast receiving power? 
- Ensure that the device is receiving power from either a USB port on the TV or using a power adapter.

2. Is the device used to set up Chromecast within 20 feet of the Chromecast device?
- Ensure that the phone, tablet, or computer used to set up Chromecast is within 20 feet of the Chromecast.

3. Are you setting up Chromecast at a hotel, school, dorm, or business?
- Networks that require you to connect through a captive portal, typical of hotels/schools/dorms/businesses, are not supported by Chromecast. You will not be able to connect to these types of networks.

Please note:
2.4 GHz Network support only: Chromecast only displays 2.4GHz networks as Wi-Fi options in the setup app. 5GHz networks are not compatible with Chromecast and will not be listed. Please double check that your router supports a 2.4 GHz network. If you are using a dual band router, please ensure that you are connecting to the 2.4 GHz network.

Hidden Networks: If the network you want to connect to is hidden (a network that is set not to broadcast its name), you'll need to manually input the network's name and password. This can be done by selecting ‘Other’ in the drop down list of network selection. After selecting ‘Other’, you have the option to manually input your network SSID and password.

MAC Address Filtering: If your router has MAC address filtering enabled, you'll need to add the MAC address of your Chromecast to the list of filtered devices. The MAC address of your Chromecast is listed at the bottom of the Chromecast setup app.

Additionally, Chromecast requires that your Wi-Fi network and router settings are configured to allow devices to communicate with one another. Please check the following configurations on your router. Please note that all routers are different, so each setting may or may not be applicable to your particular router. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact your ISP or router manufacturer:

AP/Client Isolation: Chromecast cannot communicate with your router if you have AP/Client isolation enabled.
-DISABLE AP Isolation/Client Isolation on your Wi-Fi router.

Virtual Private Networks or Proxy Servers: Chromecast cannot communicate with your router or computer if any Virtual Private Networks or Proxy servers are turned on.
-DISCONNECT or DISABLE any Virtual Private Networks (VPN) or proxy servers, if applicable, on both your router and your computer.

UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) or Multicast: Your router will not be able to ‘discover or see’ your Chromecast on your WiFi network if you have UPnP or Multicast disabled.
-ENABLE UPnP (Universal Plug and Play), also known as Multicast, on your router.

IGMP (Internet Group Management Protocol): Chromecast will not be able to communicate with your router if you have IGMP disabled on your router OR IGMP Proxy enabled on your router.
-ENABLE IGMP on your router.
-DISABLE IGMP Proxy on your router.

Please keep in mind that resetting or making changes to your router settings may have unintended consequences. If you have questions or concerns, please consult your router manufacturer or ISP before making any changes.

If there is anything further we can assist you with, please feel free to reply directly to this email or visit our help center at:

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/request.py?contact_type=contact_policy&policy=hardware

Accepted Solutions
New Poster

Re: Chromecast and Arris TG862 Gateway

After being on with Level 2 Home Networking from Comcast for at least an hour, the solution we found was simple and slightly ridiculous:

1. Go into your router gateway at address/url 10.0.0.1, login, and select "Connection" dropdown on the left.

2. Select Wifi

3. Select edit in the private wifi network section

4. Under Security mode, select the dropdown box and select "WPA-PSK (TKIP)"

This is the solution that worked like a charm for me.  

Now, keep in mind, if you have any computers connected via wifi and not through a wire, you will need to do the following if you are windows:

1. Click on the internet connection in the bottom right of your screen

2. Right click on the wifi you are trying to connect to (probably showing a red x)

3. Click "Properties"

4. Click on the security tab.

5. Select the dropdown under Type of Security, and change from "WPA2-Personal" to "WPA-Personal"

6. Under Encryption Type, change from "WEP" to "TKIP"

7. Select Accept, you should be connected and good to go!

Hope this helps! =)

All Replies
New Poster

boscoma, thanks for sharing this information. Ever since upgrading our Comcast modem to the Arris TG862 Gateway, we've been experiencing performance issues with our Chromecast's connectivity and playback. Will go through the steps listed by Google and hopefully that will fix the issue. Thanks, again.

New Poster

Any solution for this issue.  I am also not able to connect to the Arris TG862 with the Chromecast.

I have checked all suggestion and everything is configured ok. AP Isolation is not configuable on this modem/router.  I checked with Arris directly and they stated that if you can ping any of your connected devices from the command prompt then you can assume the AP isolation is enabled.

Don't know what else to do except get a new router or send chromecast back.

Thanks

New Poster

I also have the Arris TG862 router and experience the same issue with Chromecast.  I just bought the Chromecast couple of days ago.  It has been 2 days and I still having problem to get Chromecast to connect to my WiFi.  I was able to connect it briefly after changing the WiFi mode on the router to "802.11 b/g/n".  But it disconnects itself after 10 minutes or so and I'm still left with useless Chromecast at the moment.  

I will try one more change tonight is to add the MAC Address of the Chromecast to the MAC Filtering setting of the router and set it "Allow" and see if this helps.

Frequent Visitor

I recently set up a Chromecast on this Comcast router about a week ago. It had no problems, and everything was default settings. Please note that you should be on the same wireless network with a laptop, smartphone, or tablet to set up the Chromecast. 

New Poster

I'm having similar issue, but my chromecast was already set up before. I bought it 2 weeks ago set it up perfectly, with my DSL internet. Yesterday changed my internet to comcast got the Arris TG862 and now I can't cast from my desktop. I can cast from my wifi devies but not with the desktop. It says device not found. 

So what I did was i downloaded the app on my desktop (set up my chomecast on my desktop) and had to connect via wifi in order to set up the cast, also needed to disconnect the ethenet cable from my desktop. It was on and off, had to disconnect the chromecast from the tv a couple of times and then had to try connecting it via desktop, but after some failed trys i was able to connect it. I have another brand new chromecast at home right now, hasn't been open yet. I'm going to try and connect it via desktop right now and let you guys now if i can or not. 

New Poster

Thanks for the info. I tried the MAC suggestion and Chromecast is working. Hopefully for long term. The MAC was the only change it made.
Regular Visitor

you can also try:

username: admin

Password: password

Gateway > Connections > Local IP Network > (uncheck the Enable IPv6) > save settings.

visit https://cast.google.com/chromecast/setup/?np=manualsetup

This will allow you to set up via web versus the chrome app. 

IF you set up and get the ready to cast on your Tv but an error on your computer stating your wireless settings could not be saved, try to cast the web tab onto the t.v. This may take two cast attempts to be successful.

Contributor

I have tried all of the above! I have been on CHAT with Xfinity all day and not connect to my Chromecast Streaming Device! Next step is Advance Tech Support per chat they will call me! This is totally uncalled for! All the above people having issues installing this device with this router! Per Chromecast this is a ROUTER issue !

New Poster

After going through a mountainous tree of links, etc, I finally found the user manual for the TG862.  Here is a link  Arris TG862  Best of luck.  I'll add info if I find a workaround that's helpful. 

New Poster

There is an entry for the Arris TG862 on the Chromecast Router Compatibility page at 

https://support.google.com/chromecast/table/3477832?hl=en that says "Chromecast must be within 15 feet of the router for optimal performance."

I bought a different modem - a Netgear N300 (Model C3000) and have not had a problem since! Smiley Happy I'm guessing almost any other modem will work with the future of awesome Chromecast! 

Contributor

Thanks for the info BUT I had nothing but problems with Chromecast and Comcast After returning the original one to Chromecast Device thinking it was defective and a new one arrived but had to open a Google Wallet Account to charge the new one until the old defective device was returned.! I even had issues trying to get my Google Wallet account of almost $42 with Tax / S/H charges cleared after a months of phone calls and 3 employees stating my old device did arrive but they had no idea why my account wasn't cleared of the charges! One month later after calling multiple times - last night my account was cleared!  I will never buy any Chrome product ever again - Awful customer Service! 

Xfinity / Comcast made notations on the SO CALLED "CHAT" site to have an Advanced Tech support to call me - even given a  service/referral number and NO CALLS were made to me to help set up the

Device.  I return the 2nd device back to Staples who were Angels as my Receipt was way over the 14 days for electronics! 

New Poster

Try connecting to the wifi network broadcast by the Chromecst device.

I realized it had its own and when I connected to it, everything worked.

After the setup, it asks to log back in to your secure home network.

Contributor

Good Luck with the device! My Original hook up worked fine until a few months later when it stopped working - which ChromeCast believes it was because of Xfinity's upgrades on their system!  That's when all the trouble started even after exchanging the Chromecast device! I will never by a ChromeCast device again! Good Luck and keep the original box and receipt! 

New Poster

I recently purchased a Chromecast, but have plenty of troubles getting it to work with the Comcast TG862 router, and I am pretty sure the router is the problem--it seems many people have issues getting Chromecast to work with this router.  The Chromecast works intermittantly.  My router was behaving fine until recently, when Comcast turned on the "xfinitywifi" signal on my router.  I went into my account, and change the setting to turn off this new "xfinitywifi" coming from my router, but even after turning the setting to Off, the router is still transmitting a second signal--just without an SSID now.  (I can see this using the Wifi Analyzer app.)

After this recent change with the new wifi signal, the router has been behaving badly and some of my other network devices have been dropping their connections, both wired and wifi.  Also when I log into the router, it reports devices that there are connected which arent, and it also reports devices that aren't which actually are.

I am not at all happy that Comcast tried to make my router a public wifi, and now the router is clearly behaving badly.  Time to return the TG862--and save myself the monthly rental--and take control of my own wifi.

Contributor

For a $35 toy - Return the Chromecast!  I did and no problems since!  There are many other Streaming Devices. IF you wait TOO long to return the Chromecast you may be STUCK with the darn thing and OUT $35!  If you bought it at STAPLES  and if your store is like mine you may get your money Back!  GOOD LUCK! 

New Poster

Thanks 14Kc, but I am pretty sure the problem is with the Comcast router/gateway, not the Chromecast.

Contributor

The Problem IS the Router/Modem - but I wasn't willing to break my 2 yr Contract over a $35 item!  It you ARE leaving Xfinity/Comcast then keep it BUT if you are not - Return it!  

Sparkie5280 wrote:

Thanks 14Kc, but I am pretty sure the problem is with the Comcast router/gateway, not the Chromecast.

New Poster

The problem is definitely with the router, as I'm sure anyone who's spent time looking for a solution can attest to.

I ran into the same issues with the Arris TG862, and my solution isn't pretty, but it's working:

I set up one of my older LinkSys routers with a private network just for my Chromecast, then plugged it's data input into one of the ethernet outs on the Arris.  

The Chromecast is the ONLY thing connected to that network, and I can cast to it just fine through the regular Wireless Gateway network.  The benefit to this solution is there's no other wireless bandwidth on that network, so it's unlikely to get laggy from my son watching YouTube.

I'd return the box, but I have an appointment with Xfinity to upgrade to X1 with the XB3 on the 24th, so this seemed like an easier solution than spending two hours at the Xfinity office.

Contributor

X1 will not help to connect with Chromecast - As that IS what I've been using for over 1 year! The PROBLEM is we ALL know is the ROUTER! - COMCAST/ XFINITY should do something with their ROUTER but as you see - they DON'T 

New Poster

Chromecast has its own WiFi. Connect to it and akkwill work. See my June 13 post.
Contributor

Good Luck!       I return MY CHROMECASt Device! 

New Poster

It has taken me 4 hours to get this working (Chromecast with an Arris TG862 Comcast supplied router).

In the end I have added the Chromecast MAC manually to the router list and I have disabled Managed Devices (under Parental Control). I think the last change did the trick. And I had Parental Control disabled all the time!!

The Arris TG862 is a very poor and buggy router.

Hope this may help you. Try a lot of things (google for chromcast and comcast) and if you're lucky you might get it to work as well.

New Poster

I contacted Arris Support today and got immediate help from the knowledgeable tech.  You can either contact Arris for help or do what he told me to do:  (1)  click on start   (2)  in the search bar enter cmd, click on cmd.exe   (3) type in ipconfig   (4)  the numbers in the Default Gateway are what you want, mine are 10.0.0.1  (5)  type in your numbers in the URL search bar  (6)  use admin for user and password for password  (7) click on: connection  (8) click on: wifi  (9) click on: edit  (10) change the channel setting number.  Mine was set at 1, the tech told me to change it to 8, worked just great for me.  He told me to try a different number until you fine one that works.  Usual numbers are from 1-6.  I am very happy that I don't have to return my chromecast unit,  thanks to the Arris Rep that helped me today.    Hope this helps.

Frequent Visitor

Issue is definitely NOT with the router as interop has been tested extensively and uPNP is enabled by default.  The Chromecast has a weak 2.4GHz 1x1 antenna.  Chromecast needs a solid WIFI signal for both setup and playback.  99% of issues can be resolved by changing the WIFI channel to get a cleaner signal OR moving the Chromecast and Router closer together.

Sincerely

Xfinity CPE National Operations

Expert

edreas wrote:

Sincerely

Xfinity CPE National Operations

You may not be aware of this fact: Comcast employees must be authorized by the forum administrator in order to post in an official capacity. Employees have their names in RED and are designated as such.

If not authorized they can post here but cannot state they are employees. Nor can they allude to being employees.

You can contact the community manager here (Comcast Larry) about it;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/4671561

New Poster

I have this same router, 25 feet from the Chromecast. A Linksys N300 range extender did the trick for me. Works flawlessly bow.
New Poster

The major issue on this same router was proximity for me as well, believe it or not just turning the tv to face the direction of the router 20 feet away solved my 4 hour Chromecast conquest. That said, having a tv facing the wall kind if defeats the purpose of streaming video to Chromecast. Aside from connecting the Chromecast to an HDMI to get it physically closer to the router, do WiFi Range Extenders indeed work for Chromecast or does the Chromecast only communicate with the main router? I'd like to be able to use Chromecast on a different floor of the house. Any insight/feedback/guidance from personal experience would be appreciated!!
New Poster

GETTING YOUR CHROMECAST TO WORK WITH ARRIS TG862 ROUTER

For those of you that have issues with connecting your Chromecast with your Arris TG862 router. Here's what I have come up with: I contacted Arris Support today and got immediate help from the knowledgeable tech. You can either contact Arris for help or do what he told me to do: (1) click on start (2) in the search bar enter cmd, click on cmd.exe (3) type in ipconfig (4) the numbers in the Default Gateway are what you want, mine are 10.0.0.1 (5) type in your numbers in the URL search bar (6) use admin for user and password for password (7) click on: connection (8) click on: wifi (9) click on: edit (over on the right side of the page) (10) change the channel setting number, click save settings. Mine was set at 1, the tech told me to change it to 8, worked just great for me (but I have since changed to 6, was having issues with 8, just as a friend had said I might) The tech told me to try a different number until you find one that works. Usual numbers are from 1-6. I am very happy that I don't have to return my chromecast unit, thanks to the Arris Rep that helped me today. Hope this helps

New Poster

tsa503 wrote:

GETTING YOUR CHROMECAST TO WORK WITH ARRIS TG862 ROUTER

For those of you that have issues with connecting your Chromecast with your Arris TG862 router. Here's what I have come up with: I contacted Arris Support today and got immediate help from the knowledgeable tech. You can either contact Arris for help or do what he told me to do: (1) click on start (2) in the search bar enter cmd, click on cmd.exe (3) type in ipconfig (4) the numbers in the Default Gateway are what you want, mine are 10.0.0.1 (5) type in your numbers in the URL search bar (6) use admin for user and password for password (7) click on: connection (8) click on: wifi (9) click on: edit (over on the right side of the page) (10) change the channel setting number, click save settings. Mine was set at 1, the tech told me to change it to 8, worked just great for me (but I have since changed to 6, was having issues with 8, just as a friend had said I might) The tech told me to try a different number until you find one that works. Usual numbers are from 1-6. I am very happy that I don't have to return my chromecast unit, thanks to the Arris Rep that helped me today. Hope this helps

The solution of changing the channel did not work for me. 

The router and chromecast are next to each other, but it is not connecting.

New Poster

I manually added the MAC address, then went to Parnetal Controls<Managed Devices and clicked "allow all". Then it finally worked. Parental controls were not even enabled which was odd, but if it works, it works.

New Poster

After being on with Level 2 Home Networking from Comcast for at least an hour, the solution we found was simple and slightly ridiculous:

1. Go into your router gateway at address/url 10.0.0.1, login, and select "Connection" dropdown on the left.

2. Select Wifi

Now, keep in mind, if you have any computers connected via wifi and not through a wire, you will need to do the following if you are windows:

2. Right click on the wifi you are trying to connect to (probably showing a red x)

3. Click "Properties"

5. Select the dropdown under Type of Security, and change from "WPA2-Personal" to "WPA-Personal"

Hope this helps! =)

New Poster

God bless Mckeon123! This is the only solution that worked for me! Thanks so much!
New Poster

mckeon123 wrote:

2. Select Wifi

3. Click "Properties"

Hope this helps! =)

This is the only thing that worked for me too!!!! Thank you!!!!!

New Poster

I've had the same issues presented in this thread. I have the Arris TG862G router with Comcast. When connecting my Chromecast it said that it was connect to my home network, but couldn't access the internet.

I had the same problem with 2 of my Samsung smart TV's. 

After about 5 different calls, spending nearly 10 hours working on this, 5 different online chat sessions, reading multiple online threads, I finally got to a call center rep that was able to help.

We changed the Security Mode to WPA2PSK-TKIP and this took care of all devices. They all access the internet fine now.

Previously my Security Mode was set to the recommended, default from Comcast. Hope this helps some others fix the issue. As a reminder, this is not an issue with Chromecast or Samsung. I used all these devices just fine at my previous home on CenturyLink. This was a router setting that needed to be adjusted on Comcast router.

Tags (1)
New Poster

can you elaborate on how you got the new settings to take effect as you describe? did u have to have a comcast rep do the security settings change or is it something u can access in the router itself???

yopu wrote:

We changed the Security Mode to WPA2PSK-TKIP and this took care of all devices. They all access the internet fine now.

ie; what do u mean 'we changed' ? 

THANKS!!!!!!

New Poster

CHROMECAST FIX:

Go into the device and use the 'wizard' -this will lead you to the area where u can change the Security Mode to WPA2PSK-TKIP 

THIS WILL FIX THE CHROMECAST ISSUE IMMEDIATELY!

As per:

I've had the same issues presented in this thread. I have the Arris TG862G router with Comcast. When connecting my Chromecast it said that it was connect to my home network, but couldn't access the internet.

After about 5 different calls, spending nearly 10 hours working on this, 5 different online chat sessions, reading multiple online threads, I finally got to a call center rep that was able to help.

Previously my Security Mode was set to the recommended, default from Comcast. Hope this helps some others fix the issue. As a reminder, this is not an issue with Chromecast or Samsung. I used all these devices just fine at my previous home on CenturyLink. This was a router setting that needed to be adjusted on Comcast router.

Contributor

ssssdotdigital wrote:

CHROMECAST FIX:

Go into the device and use the 'wizard' -this will lead you to the area where u can change the Security Mode to WPA2PSK-TKIP 

So far so good on 1 TV. I'll check the other tonight. I've spent a week trying to resolve. I went back through the Gateway and reversed all changes noted higher up in this thread, did this simple security change, and have the 1st of 2 Chromecast up and working.  Thanks.

Contributor

dotdigital wrote:

CHROMECAST FIX:

As per:

This IS the FIX.  All the other jazz in this thread is a work around that may work, but is unnessesary.  AND, you Modem/Router/Gateway does NOT need to be close to the Chromecast as some stated.  That defeats the purpose of "streaming".