Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 20

CAN I USE MY OWN MODEM WITH PHONE FOR X1 TRIPLE PLAY

19 REPLIES
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 2 of 20

FWIW, there *may still* be one caveat to owning your own eMTA or gateway device that supports their phone service. YMMV. I always advise (until I'm told otherwise officially) that the first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC. The personnel that work there seem to better know what the actual local franchise's policies really are than do support reps at the national 800 number.

If allowed, the only three devices available at retail that they will activate for service are the Arris TG862G, the Arris TM822G and the Arris TM722G. The 862 is a combo cable modem / router / eMTA gateway device but it is a piece of junk. But it can be put in to bridge mode so that it acts only as a cable modem with phone support. You would the use your own high quality stand-alone router with it.

The 822 offers 8 multiple downstream channel bonding. The 722 is an older eMTA that offers only 4 channel bonding capability so it won't be able deliver their fastest speed tiers like 150 and faster. They are hard to find as they are not being manufactured anymore.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 3 of 20

BSmith8592 wrote:

CAN I USE MY OWN MODEM WITH PHONE FOR X1 TRIPLE PLAY

This basically what EG said with more pictures: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Service-Equipment/How-to-purchase-and-install-a-voice-modem/m-p/2632277...

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 4 of 20

Not sure when these two will be available for sale, but they will be soon. (already on the approved device list).Both Docsis 3.0, 24x8 channels. Better late than never, but expensive! (if you are into all in one gateways).

http://mydeviceinfo.g.comcast.net/device.php?devid=605

http://mydeviceinfo.g.comcast.net/device.php?devid=602

A new XB6 D3.1 gateway is said to be coming out this year and this may go to retail too. (I'd guess even more expensive)!

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 5 of 20

An update to the thread. The Arris SVG2482AC is now on sale, like I said above it's already on the approved device list. We just need someone to buy one and compare it to the rented TG1682G....Smiley Happy Considering it's only D3.0, it will take just over two years to break even, with a current price of $249.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDGWKSB?tag=ds0233-20.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 6 of 20

Thanks for that update Paraniod ! Looks like the C7100V will be released on May 12th;

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-XFINITY-Internet-services/dp/B01M1AOEDA

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Highlighted
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 7 of 20

Yep, it's being beta tested AFAIK.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 8 of 20

I have this data/voice modem (SVG2482AC), I'm having trouble activating it.  It's on the approved list alright, but the model name is not even on their database.  I've made a mistake by activating through comcast.com/activate, now I have no internet/voice since 03/24.  The remote technical support opened a ticket to have it add to the database, and I'm told it'll be another 3-5 days.  The local service center is no help either. They said someone will activate your data/voice modem today (03/25), and should be ready to go.  Guess what? Today is 03/27, and I am still having no service.  Does it take a PhD to register modem to a whitelist?  Jesus Christ. 

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 9 of 20

That's unfortunate, maybe register at ComcastDirect for a one on one with a higher level employee might help:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 10 of 20

It won't help. The system won't allow SVG2482AC to be added (as of this moment).  I've talked to 3 different technical supports - same results.  Just finished talking to technical support through online chat (Provisioning Department), same results.  Local service center couldn't add.  They said they escalated to a "FIX TEAM", not sure what that means.  One of the tech said SVG2482AC is showing up as docsis 3.1 (which it isn't).  They approved the device, allowed Arris to sell it; but didn't get their system ready.  Worst thing is, they can't re-activate my old modem.  I'm stucked in a limbo...

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 11 of 20

That's too bad..! Odd that the other guy in the review on Amazon got his provisioned without a problem. Still think I'd give ComcastDirect a go. Good luck!

Also the device is listed as currently unavailable on Amazon now.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 12 of 20

http://shop.surfboard.com/svg2482ac-surfboard-docsis-3-0-wi-fi-modem-for-xfinity/

Its still for sale/available, directly from the Arris SurfBoard Online store

And mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com lists it as an approved Retail Device...

Perhaps still in progress?

Not that I would encourage Deceit, but an option that others have had success with in the past, is saying the Device is a different model that is on the Retail List (TG862G perhaps?), just so Tech Support can add a Retail-approved model to your account. Then, once the modem is granted access, if could/should/might work? The CMTS is just looking for the authorized MAC Addresses, I believe...

That being said, with the device available for Retail Sale from the Online Arris SurfBoard shop, specifically stating for Xfinity customers, I can't imagine this issue won't be resolved in the near term. How near? Who knows

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 13 of 20

Yes it is still available from Arris, the listing on Amazon has gone from "currently unavailable" to "temp out of stock" so I guess we could assume that's what it means?

Not sure I'd spend $250 and then claim it to be an 862G, just for provisioning, I'd want the provisioning done right. There are two positive reviews on Amazon. Always possible the poster "Apple" has just been given some duff info from Comcast, which is why I suggested ComcastDirect.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 14 of 20
The review post on amazon was written by me. The SVG2482AC apparently cannot be added to the account, at least here in the Northeast. There wasn't anyone on the phone able to add. The local service center deferred to someone else, but that person couldn't add either. My last hope was to go to Xfinity Store. The store staff couldn't add it initially. He had to use the TG862G as the model name, and the CMAC from the SVG2482AC. After activation, Comcast updated the model to SVG2482AC. It seems like the front end software did not have this modem as selectible option.
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 15 of 20

Guessed that was you, it's early days with that device, glad you got it sorted!

I'd be interested to know how the admin tool compares with the rental 1682G XB3, (if you have used that) does it give more options? Does it have the xfinitywifi hotspot and the hidden SSID for Xfinity Home security service?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 16 of 20

I've never used 1682G so I cannot compare between the two.  I was only in the router's option briefly because I enabled the bridged mode immediately after I've got connected.  It seemed the router's features are similar to my Linksys EA9500.  There are options to set up 2GHz and 5GHz SSID, but I didn't see anything about xfinitywifi hotspot or hidden SSID for Home Security.  However, on the bottom of the modem there is a short instruction on how to connect the phone jack for Xfinity Home Security.  In my Comcast's account settings, it says my modem does not support xfinitywifi hotspot.  Perhaps it is because I'm in bridged mode and that the wifi is turned off.

If you look for any particular feature(s), let me know.  I can disable the bridged mode to look around in the router's features.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 17 of 20

I was thinking things like the abilty to change DNS, clone mac address. If it doesn't support the hotspot, is there a seperate guest network? No rush though. Cheers!

Also I believe MoCA is disabled? Do the usb ports work?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 18 of 20

There is no option to change DNS or clone mac address.  There is no hotspot or separate guest network.  MoCA is disabled. I think the USB ports work only when bridged mode is disabled since they are rely on router's functionality. 

I have a 200Mbps service, this modem is not any faster than the desupported modem (8x4) I replaced.  Only once I got it at about 150Mbps, otherwise it is the same speed (~110 Mbps) as my old desupported modem.  Pay full service, got half benefits. LOL. 

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 19 of 20

Apple1234567 wrote:

I think the USB ports work only when bridged mode is disabled since they are rely on router's functionality. 

FWIW, the USB ports on the Comcast supplied gateway devices are disabled no matter what mode the device is in.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 20 of 20

I was just curious if the USB ports had been enabled on this new retail device EG. Sounds very much like the same options as the 1682G without the hotspot, thanks Apple!