Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Bridge mode on Arris TG3482G?

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 59

I got X1 gigabit last week, and with it came a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem, the Arris TG3482G. It does not appear to have any bridge mode option in the admin UI. Does anyone know if it supports it?

58 REPLIES
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 2 of 59
I can't personally find any resource about it but have you tried calling or chatting with Comcast and asking them to put it into bridge mode?
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 3 of 59

Here's the last thing I saw on DSL reports:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31380139-

It's a new device, maybe they will update the firmware in the future to allow bridge.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 4 of 59

I chatted with two Comcast techs and the 2nd one said he was able to put my TG3482G in bridge mode.  However, my router is still getting a local IP, and I can't see anything in the TG3482G to indicate it's in bridge mode. The router functions all seem to be active, though I've gone thru and disabled all that I can access in the Admin UI ... very, very limited options in this thing, there's no way to turn off the IPV4 DHCP server that I can find.  

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 5 of 59
The best I can suggest is to still use the XB6 wifi for now and wait for the update come hopefully that will allow bridge mode. Another thing I could suggest even though it might not work properly nor as intended since I didn't get to test it myself with anything would be to give the the router a static local IP, make that the DMZ address. I would wait for confirmation for the second one to see if it would even work properly that way.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 6 of 59

Thanks for the suggestion. The 'standard stuff' works fine (very nice download speeds) even using both routers. I tried playing around with fixed IP/DMZ as well as port forwarding to my primary router without success. My main problem is remote access (VPN, etc) to my home network is blocked. Maybe this is just a problem with Asus routers as it seems like I've worked with other brands that didn't care about getting a local IP for the WAN address and still retaining external access with port forwarding/DMZ/pass thru settings. Looking thru their forums I see similar complaints, but no soutions other than to "talk to my ISP".

As a router, the XB6 is lacking in control/features for me to use it as my primary router. My home network is somewhat more complicated than most (AD domain, DNS, DHCP, VPN, wireless repeaters, home automation, security cameras, non-Comcast VOIP, etc) which I'd rather not completey redo. Hopefully they'll have an update soon, or allow us to source our own modems. I'd hate to have to go back to the slow internet.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 7 of 59
FWIW, make sure that if any "IPsec" and / or "VPN Pass-through" settings / features exist that they are actually enabled.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 8 of 59

I don't find anything in the XB6's Admin UI for VPN Pass-Thru.  I've tried using the DMZ address, disabling the firewall completely, and in port forwarding I've tried using the VPN deffinitions for forwarding (thinking they might be doing 'VPN Pass-Thru'. No success.  For all I know it could be my 2nd router's fault since it's complaining about being on a private WAN IP address.

Anyway, I don't mean to get this thread off topic.  I really hope Comcast adds / allows bridge mode, or allows a plain old modem like to the Arris SB8200, in the near future.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 9 of 59
FWIW, the CC supplied gateway devices have a history here of not playing nice with VPN's. Even in bridge mode. I do realize that the XB6's are next generation... YMMV.

Your router having a private IP address on its WAN interface proves that the gateway is not in true bridge mode.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 10 of 59

Mine was put into bridge mode for a day by a Comcast engineer and it was an utter disaster. Every hour or so the bridge function would fail and while the modem itself was up and connected to the internet, the bridge function failed and hence my network went down. Only a hard reset made it work again...for an hour. I had them switch it back and now the network is rock-solid. Note that the UI does not allow you to do it yourself.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 11 of 59

Any update on this? Quite frustrated as im going from about 900mbps on average to 150...

Posted by
New Poster

Message 12 of 59

I am a home gigabit user. I started to get real nervous after reading this thread after installation on Saturday, because I had to set up a temporary office in my home. However, my speeds remained the same as off the modem itself and my off my firewall using Comcast/Ookla speedtests. I was even able to set up several ipsec tunnels behind the Arris.

Here is what I ended up with

Untangle (5 ipsec tunnels, no QoS)

SIP phone (inside and outside the ipsec tunnel)

Arris modem

DMZ: Untangle local ip

Firewall: Custom security off

#I did this step because ipsec tunnels are not recommended to be set up not in true bridge mode, and haven't removed it yet

Port forward: all the ipsec ports (or presumably anything

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 13 of 59

It appears there was an update to this modem in the last day or two. Xfinity tech support was able to put the modem into bridge mode today. I logged into the modem to verify but now have "access denied" when clicking on the "advanced" tab. Maybe that verifies bridge mode since most/all wifi/router options live there?

Anyway - network appears to be back to normal.

BTW - I'd love to buy a modem but cant seem to figure out a way to do both Voice and Data @ gigabit speeds. Does anyone know if theres a stand alone voice modem that I can use with stand alone gigabit internet modem?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 14 of 59

Can/Has anyone from Comcast confirmed that TG3482G / XB6 now supports Bridge Mode?

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 15 of 59

As far as I can tell I confirmed in the previous post.

All appears to be working fine.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 16 of 59

How do you access the modem UI after it's in bridge mode?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 17 of 59

I just used the IP address.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 18 of 59

But what is it's IP address when in bridge mode?

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 19 of 59

zwily wrote:

But what is it's IP address when in bridge mode?

This *might* work for only passively accessing the cable modem portion of the device for its RF signal stats an error log entries;

http://192.168.100.1

The router portion's functions should no longer be able to be accessed as it is no longer acting as a WiFi router. YMMV.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 20 of 59

Thanks for posting.  This is good news.

I had a Comcast tech come to my home last week, and he had the TG3482 in hand, and told me it couldn't be put into bridge mode.

I called Customer Support and after a while was routed to the "upgrades" department.  They told me that the modem as of late June (can't remember exact day) the firmware had been updated to allow bridge mode, supposedly accessible through the "My Account" Xfinity Android or iOS app, or could be triggered from Comcast remotely.

So I rescheduled.  The next tech that came out not only did not have a TG3482, but did not know what DOCSIS 3.1 was.

I have my third appointment scheduled for next week, and will report back if I am also able to get this modem into bridge mode.

I do also have the same question about voice -- is it possible to get a separate voip interface to separate this stuff out?  Then I'd just pick up my own modem.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 21 of 59

I had the Arris TG3482G installed Saturday (7/8/17). The install tech said that the modem could not be bridged. I searched around the net and found this thread. 

I contacted Comcast via chat and the operator happily put my modem into bridge mode. I lost connection to the internet. Looking in my router it was not getting a public IP. I restarted it and tried everything I could to no avail. I called tech support and ended up with a very helpful guy named Mark in North Carolina. He tried to get it working and ended up resetting it three times. He updated the firmware, but it would not bridge. Although after the update the bridge button showed up in the web UI of the modem. 

He recommended I just go trade it for the modem only device since I do not need wifi and routing that the gateway provides. 

I will be trading it in tomorrow and see how that works.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 22 of 59

Thats too bad about the modem. What modem are they sugesting you get?

I'd like to go that route as well since I have my own router.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 23 of 59

FWIW, it's not just a modem. This is a misnomer. It's a combo cable modem / Wifi router gateway device.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 24 of 59

I have just had the XB6 installed.  Bridge Mode is available in the selections, now through admin.  However, it hangs after confirming you want bridge mode.  The "wait 90 seconds" turns into forever, and it simply will not bridge.  A supervisor is to come out and either replace the unit, or make it bridge, somehow.  The folks in my area, working for Comcast are very diligent, attempting to get this thing installed. The gentlemen who were here, spent 4 hours running new lines, and fighting with tech support.  I did have gigbit through local IP address, through my router, last night. This morning..... 3.23 meg down and 1.86 meg up. Hardly gigabit...... :-(

Looking forward to a resolution!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 25 of 59

After the first tech had left (because we thought bridge mode was not possible) -- it took 3 more tries (i.e. three more techs being dispatched to my home) before someone actually was able to get their hands on a TG3482G to do the install.

Each time, me: "Do you have an XB6 modem, I mean the TG3482G?"

Techs #2 and #3: "No, you need an in-house tech.  I'm contract."

Me: "That's what the previous tech said, and it's in the notes -- it's been logged, I need a TG3482G."

In any case, finally... when I got my hands on one.

The Comcast tech remotely set it into bridge mode.

However, you can login to the modem at 10.0.0.1 even after having set it to bridge mode, even behind your own router.  It starts out with the default username (admin) and password (admin).

I've enclosed screenshots.

The problem I had today is that the modem stopped communicating to my pfSense router.  I pulled a new DHCP lease, and things seem to have come back to life, but I fear an intermittent problem.

After logging into the modem though (since this problem had cropped up), I disabled MoCA via the GUI.  I remember in the past on a different router that this (might) have caused a problem to have it enabled.

In any case, I will report back about stability under bridge mode when I know more.

-- madison

TG3482G System Hardware.png
TG3482G Gateway Software.png
TG3482G Gateway At a Glance - Bridge Mode Enabled.png
Posted by
Contributor

Message 26 of 59

This is all great info!  Just got the XB6 (Xfinity's fancy modem name) installed today.  Looking at the same firmware as the most recent post and as mentioned ther eis no bridge option.

I will call them up to put it in bridge mode manually (dont see any options in the iOS app either)

Posted by
Contributor

Message 27 of 59

Ok, runing the same update as the previous user and I called the Tech and had them remotely connect and enable Bridge mode.  The option can now be turned on and off via the GUI (10.0.0.1) after the tech made the changes.

So far so good!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 28 of 59

When you call in to Comcast to have them activate Bridge mode (and it opens the spot so you cna enable/disable)...

Please note on firmware: 2.0.2.206 it is still unstable.  Occassionally it just disconnects and the router sees it has if the ethernet cable is not plugged in.

If you power cycle the modem everything resolves.  Seems to happen every 8 hours or so.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 29 of 59

Heres a screenshot of the curent software versions

Capture.PNG

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 30 of 59

Hi,

Thanks for posting this info, and also including the link to this thread in the other thread about enabling bridge mode

(http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Bridge-mode-on-Arris-TG3482G/m-p/2924968#M257774).

I did have instability yesterday.  I have since turned MoCA off as mentioned in the other thread.  This in theory shouldn't affect anything, but in any case I've been running 24 hours without interruption.

I will write back the next time the interface fails, and / or if I notice an update to the firmware on the TG3482G.

Thanks again,

-- madison

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 31 of 59

I forgot to ask, @computeronix15:

What router are you using in combination with the modem?

I am using pfSense v2.3.4.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 32 of 59

Today I had Xfinity install Gigabit Internet service at my home in Fort Wayne. The techs installed the DOCSIS 3.1 XB6 gateway since we have Xfinity Internet and Voice (along with TV). The techs raved about the gateway, but once I brought up Bridge Mode, they looked at me like I was crazy. I prefer buying my own router, so we have a 3-node Linksys Velop network, but ever since I added Xfinity Voice, I have had to deal with these gateways, which have caused more problems than anything. I simply want a modem, but there are no gateways that offer phone and internet, without built-in wifi. I spent two hours on the phone with 3 different representatives that could not put my gateway in Bridge Mode. I Direct Messaged Xfinity Support on Twitter and the representative was able to put the device in Bridge Mode. Ever since the gateway has been in Bridge Mode, I have had intermittent internet. My internet was working fine for about 5 minutes, then it dropped and I had to factory reset the gateway and start all over. Then about 20 minutes ago, I was moving some wires around and unplugged the power to my Linksys Velop, and ever since I plugged the power back in to the router, the router has not received an internet connection from the gateway. I keep going in circles and feel that I may have to move back to an XB3 gateway and give up my Gigabit Internet Service because I cannot deal with this Bridge Mode issue. Currently having to post this from my ATT hotspot. Thank goodness ATT allows hotspotting with unlimited data now.

Why can Comcast not offer an Internet and Voice modem also? Gateways have always caused issues with Bridge Mode for me, but never to this extent. Maybe this XB6 gateway is meant not to be put into Bridge Mode, but if that is true, that leaves me stuck because I desire a modem without built-in wifi. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 33 of 59

Hey abowser,

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulty.  I assume that you checked that it is the same modem on this thread, correct?  I think there might be a couple of variants of the XB6, but I'm not sure -- ones that use different DOCSIS 3.1 chipsets.

In any case, just to add to the data here, ever since I turned MoCA OFF (again, I have trouble thinking this REALLY is the cause of the problem, but I also wouldn't be entirely surprised), and told my pfSense router to pull a new DHCP lease, I've been fine, with no interruptions in service, unlike before that.

I think I'm just about at the three day mark of stability, but I'm not exactly holding my breath either...

I too, would like a separate modem and a separate phone adapter.  There might be an older thread about someone using (again, a different XB box that had modem, router, wifi, phone) that had done the connection to Comcast with a dedicated third-party modem, and then (perhaps) used the XB box in bridge mode behind the local network, and the phone worked.  I.e., just relegating the combo (eMTA) modem to merely phone duty.  Again, not sure if this is really possible.  What overkill, and costly ('cause a good modem is not cheap), but...

I will report back when I know more about my stability.

-- madison

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 34 of 59

I have the TG3482G modem and yesterday changed it to bridge mode and turned off MoCA and today it rebooted like 4 times so contacted Xfinity support.  they did a reset of the modem which reset Bridge Mode off but left MoCA disabled with the same software version as reported earlier and it's been stable for the past few hours.  <Knock on wood>

Would setting a stic IP on my router help wih the stability of the connection?  I also noticed that my UP light is orange which I understand is the duplex setting which I see is 1000FD on my Asus RT-AC88U Router.  However, from the modem itself I'm getting near 1ghz spees but from router not so much. 

The reason I bring this up is IF it's Bridge Mode for the period of time it can be my speeds from my router are faster so would be nice if Xfinity addressed this soon!

--Curt

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 35 of 59

Hey Curt,

Thanks for relaying that info., especially about MoCA being off but bridge mode still being (at least initially) unstable.

FYI, I have been running for 6 days now without instability or reboot.  That could be mere luck, we'll see...

As far as setting your router into a static IP mode, I don't think that would help much unless you really have a static IP (I think usually business-class).  It might be possible to do this from a consumer/home account, I just don't know.  But in any case, if your IP address from Comcast did dynamically change in the future, of course the router set to static mode would not be able to track this, and things wouldn't work out too nicely.

As far as the speed of service when your router is connected, well, that will depend on the router model and how much horsepower it has.

My XB6 when directly connected to a desktop seems to be able to do around 920 mbit downstream / 42 mbit upstream.

With my router connected, and no traffic shaping (QoS controls) enabled, it does around 780 mbit downstream / 42 mbit upstream.

This limitation is due to my router -- I'll need to replace it to get the extra 140 megabits / sec.

-- madison

Posted by
New Poster

Message 36 of 59

Tonight I restarted my XB6 and it came back up with firmware version 2.0.2.208. Unlike 206, the bridge mode works! This time there will be an actual countdown from 90 seconds, and the WiFi networks will disappear. It's only been a few minutes, but everything works great, my stand-alone router is getting my WAN IP.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 37 of 59

Great to hear.

My XB6 is still on "206" (i.e. 2.0.2.206), and I guess I'll wait until it forces an upgrade on itself or my system is unstable again.

It would be great to know what the release notes are!

-- madison

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 38 of 59

Well, it appears that sometime between yesterday and today, my XB6 has upgraded itself to the latest firmware.

I'm now running 2.0.2.208, and did not notice any service interruption whenever this transition took place.

-- madison

TG3482G - 2.0.2.208 firmware.png
Posted by
New Poster

Message 39 of 59

I can confirm mine is on 2.0.2.208 as well, and now have the option to switch to Bridge Mode.  My personal router is finally getting a WAN IP!  

Posted by
Contributor

Message 40 of 59

I have had to power cycle once a day because of the instability after being in bridge.

My MoCA is on

After today's reboot I have 2.0.2.208 now too

My router is Netgear R9000  (Nighthawk X10) -- being plugged in with gigabit i get very close to 900 mbps.  Wi-Fi varies and can get around 400 mbps or so.  So any speeds more than a gigabit will be unnessary on my connection at least for now.

Anyways will let you know if the instability continues to occur and if so will turn off MoCA to see if this resolves it.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 41 of 59

computeronix15 wrote:

I have had to power cycle once a day because of the instability after being in bridge.

My MoCA is on

After today's reboot I have 2.0.2.208 now too

My router is Netgear R9000  (Nighthawk X10) -- being plugged in with gigabit i get very close to 900 mbps.  Wi-Fi varies and can get around 400 mbps or so.  So any speeds more than a gigabit will be unnessary on my connection at least for now.

Anyways will let you know if the instability continues to occur and if so will turn off MoCA to see if this resolves it.

It shouldn't hurt to test with MoCA off.  I have never had MoCA on in any of my Comcast gateways.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 42 of 59

That is a fair statement

So for the past two days I have had to reboot the gateway once each day.

I have now turned off MoCA and will see if the stability issues continue to occur.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 43 of 59
Thanks for the feedback and definitely interested in if x.208 fixes the bridging issues. Mine was rebooting evening after a reset from Comcast so I went back to the XB3 250mbps for now but only getting 83mbps directly wired in. 😔😔

The techs I spoke to here in Denver have had multiple reports on rebooting of the XB6 I bet none of those folks know how to put the modem into bridging mode or why you would want to. Hopefully, x.208 is better and keeps from reboots regardless of what mode since My wife and I are in IT and work from home so can't afford random reboots during the day.

Please keep us updated on your experiences and I'll let you know what I hear back from the techs.

Curt
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 44 of 59
Just an Fyi...Interesting issue from another thread regarding the rebooting but they determined it was a problem with Jimbo Frames on the network card causing reboots. Maybe they only have x.206 or possibility another issue including Bridging support.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Arris-TG3482-Strange-Issue-DOA/m-p/2931407#M258660

Curt
Posted by
Contributor

Message 45 of 59

Ok so after 24 hours no reboot needed so far.  Will keep an eye on this and respond back in a few days with any additional information

Configuration

Version x.x.208

Bridge Mode - On

MoCA - Turn Off

Rest of configuration I left default (although I did turn the Firewall up to Medium but it doesnt matter with Bridge Mode enabled)

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 46 of 59
What router do you have and do you have Jumbo Frames support turned off?

Curt
Posted by
Contributor

Message 47 of 59

Still working great, no reboots needed on the modem!

My router is:

R9000 - Netgear Nighthawk X10

I dont believe Netgear supports Jumbo Frames, let me know if I am wrong. I am contaxcting their support to verify too.

Also running into similar situations now that this user ran into - basically not able to maximize my maximum bandwidth (first world problems here) - but this is outside the scope of this discussion Smiley Happy

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-X10-R9000-currently-does-not-prope...

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 48 of 59
Jumbo Frames can do more harm then good in home network situations for sure.

As an FYI, I went back to XB3 for a week or so but had Comcast back out and they replaced my XB6 with a new one, made sure I had x.208 firmware, no MoCA, and Bridging isn't enabled running with a Netgear Orbi router and all is good with no reboots after a full day! <knock on wood>

I switched out my ASUS RT-AC88U and I think that I started having reboots when I enabled Jumbo Frames on it and the Orbi only support a MTU of 1500.

Also, when I try and put my XB6 in Bridge Mode I lose internet access to my Orbi. Do I need to configure a static IP for WAN before Bridge mode on XB6? Will putting it in bridge mode get me any more bandwidth?

-Curt
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 49 of 59
Have you tried restarting the Orbi and/or the 3482 when putting the 3482 into bridge mode?
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 50 of 59

Wolfman92 wrote:

Also, when I try and put my XB6 in Bridge Mode I lose internet access to my Orbi. Do I need to configure a static IP for WAN before Bridge mode on XB6? Will putting it in bridge mode get me any more bandwidth?

FWIW, try powercycling the 3482 first (after it is put in to bridge mode), and then the main Orbi router *in that order*.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon