Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Blocked IP address

New Poster

Blocked IP address

Blocked IP

How do I get Comcast to remove blocking of the following IP address:

The server company said it was blocked yesterday due to too many login attempts but now is white listed. I can reach the site fine via Verizon.  

comcast tracert.JPG
Expert

Re: Blocked IP address

@DSBFL wrote:

Blocked IP

How do I get Comcast to remove blocking of the following IP address:

The server company said it was blocked yesterday due to too many login attempts but now is white listed. I can reach the site fine via Verizon.  

it appears they blocked 'your' IP via your Comcast modem. Comcast can't connect to a server that blackholes (blocks or ignores) the current Comcast IP.

edit: moved your post to the home nettworking area of the forum.

New Poster

Thank for your quick reply. I have rebooted the Comcast modem several times to no avail. Additionally a Comcast customer in another state cannot access this site either. 

Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote: it appears they blocked 'your' IP via your Comcast modem. ...

No, the block appears to be wider than that:

C>tracert -4 181.214.31.78
Tracing route to madrid.servershost.net [181.214.31.78] over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1      8 ms      6 ms     7 ms  router1 [192.168.1.1]
  2    21 ms    14 ms    14 ms  96.120.9.181 [96.120.9.181]
  3    21 ms    20 ms    15 ms  te-0-6-0-0-sur02.york.pa.pitt.comcast.net [162.151.68.57]
  4    22 ms    14 ms    14 ms  be-50-ar01.lancaster.pa.pitt.comcast.net [162.151.20.33]
5-30   *            *            *         Request timed out.
Trace complete.

This looks like a Comcast IP block.

OP: If an employee doesn't take care of this for you here, Comcast Security Assurance should be able to help. Give them a call at 1-888-565-4329 (from http://constantguard.comcast.net/help/report-abuse/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers.

The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful. If so, be persistent, and keep at them until you get a satisfactory answer.

Expert

@Rustyben wrote:

it appears they blocked 'your' IP via your Comcast modem..

Actually that is in the backend Rusty, not at the modem. Hop number 4 is the second "CRAN" (Converged Regional Access Network) router after the CMTS.

New Poster

Thank you for the quick reply and tracert from your location. I contacted Comcast via the number you provided and they have opened a Case# for me. 

Your tracert  proved it was not just my modem. We'll see what they do to resolve this issue. Hopefully soon.

New Poster

I have the same IP address issue of 181.214.31.78 by HostForWeb, my webhosting and personal domain email and the same issue starting on 02/20/2018 .. calling the Comcast Security Now ..

Expert

@Anon15455 wrote:

I have the same IP address issue of 181.214.31.78 by HostForWeb, my webhosting and personal domain email and the same issue starting on 02/20/2018 .. calling the Comcast Security Now ..

FWIW, with *virtual hosting* it is quite common to have multiple domains sharing a single IP address.