members

online now

discussions

Blinking Wifi Lights in Bridge mode

SOLVED
Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 10

I have the Xfinity XB3 gateway in Bridge mode, yet the wifi lights are still blinking. I checked for wifi with my iPhone, but the XB3 is not transmitting a wifi signal, but why are the lights still flashing?

9 REPLIES
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 2 of 10
Solution
A recent firmware update with a glitch is causing that. It's only cosmetic and nothing of concern.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 3 of 10

It was causing me concern. Now I know.Thank you! 

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 4 of 10
Smiley Happy

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 5 of 10

I do not believe this is a new, harmless side effect of a recent update.  "xfinitywifi" is now active, despite being in bridged mode and "most" sections of the admin interface saying that wifi is disabled.  Yet the diagnostic section shows 2.4 and 5ghz channels are active, and my "xfinitywifi" SSID signal strength indicates that mine is now active, not just the neighbors.  

This is nice for people wanting to use the public Xfinity hotspot, except I don't want that. Plenty of neighbors have it enabled, and having it on in my house just makes a bigger mess of the airwaves and thus slows down connections to my own router.  Please let us disable xfinitywifi when we know it's unnecessary or causes issues!

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 6 of 10

CPngN wrote:

I do not believe this is a new, harmless side effect of a recent update.  "xfinitywifi" is now active, despite being in bridged mode and "most" sections of the admin interface saying that wifi is disabled.  Yet the diagnostic section shows 2.4 and 5ghz channels are active, and my "xfinitywifi" SSID signal strength indicates that mine is now active, not just the neighbors.  

FWIW, that may very well be in your case but the particular poster that I replied to stated that they did not detect any actual broadcast. The bottom line. YMMV...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 7 of 10

I shall add 'me too' ... this morning found the wifi lights blinking on the Cisco DPC3941T (WG3?) gateway, while in Bridge mode, and a strong SSID xfinitywifi signal in my cell phone.

The admin interface shows that WiFi is indeed ON (green checkmark), but the home wifi networks HOME-nnn... are greyed out (and do NOT show on the cell phone). Hope they fix this soon. Anyways, as I am using the gateway as a modem, I shall be buying a modem for 50-60 bucks and avoid paying rental of the gateway. Besides being cheaper on the medium run (7 months or so), a modem can not be made to become a WiFi access point 'by mistake', because of new firmware.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 8 of 10

Even in bridge mode the xfinitywifi hotspot will continue to broadcast on both bands. Only the gateways normal home wifi networks will be turned off.

The xfinitywifi hotspots can only be disabled from your account settings or by calling Comcast. Even if previously disabled it's always possible that the hotspots could become enabled again, we have seen reports to that effect. Although I would say that since disabling my hotspot it's never happened to me in a couple of years.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 9 of 10
Something has changed in my router-in-bridge-mode though. Until yesterday the WiFi lights were NOT blinking, the admin status showed WiFi OFF, and I didn't see SSID xfinitywifi at 100% power in my cell phone ... So that this turning ON of WiFi and xfinitywifi is something that happened behind my back and without asking me, the user, for permission or confirmation. I find this way more disturbing than just a software/firmware update glitch/bug or whatever. Given my complete lack of trust of any dinosaur enterprise, organization, corporation or the government, I see this as a severe breach of my privacy. I, and nobody else for that matter, can not know whether-if-and-what kind of backdoor trojan horse Comcast may be installing secretly in the router, under direction of which fascist government or its agencies. Very disturbing. And, dear brother in arms 'paranoid', I don't think I am, or you are really 'paranoid'. This is real, this is now. VERY disturbing.
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 10 of 10

Nothing to be disturbed or paranoid about...LOL. Anyway, the word from Comcast is that the hotspot works on a seperate service flow, independent of your own wireless network and has no access to your own private network.

If you want to see if the hotspot is coming from your gateway. Unplug it and see if xfinitywifi still shows with a strong signal on the list of nearby networks on your phone. (if it does then it 's probably coming from a neighbor).

You can also check in your "My Account" here to see if the hotspot is disabled: (you will have to sign in)

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/internet

Or download and use the Xfinity My Account app on your phone.

If you think it is your hotspot showing up and it is disabled in your account, call in.