Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Banned PSN IP address

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 4
I have figured this out and anyone is welcome to reply if they would like my help fixing this before spending $100.00 on a new router that changes their IP address because they are told they need a static IP which isn't offered with Xfinity HSI services. But, a static IP is not the solution nor is a additional router needed.
3 REPLIES
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 2 of 4

Please feel free to post a definition of the problem as well as the solution to that problem to add to the general store of knowledge.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 3 of 4

For your own protection, please don't post your e-mail address on this public forum.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 4 of 4

Over several weeks including numerous calls to Xfinity technical support, there does not seem to be a clear, stable solution to this issue. If anyone knows of a fool proof solution for users using a Comcast XB3 gateway in router mode and one using the Comcast XB3 gateway in bridge mode that would help.

Problem: PSN is banning a number of Comcast (Xfinity) IP addresses based on a blacklist (seemingly unrelated to live activity on PSN), and it seems unnecessarily difficult to get one's IP address reassigned as a workaround, let alone a fix to the issue while using Comcast's service.

Comcastic issue: IP address assignments for customer hardware in bridge mode seem to NEVER expire, despite what tech support told me several times on phone and on chat. 

Has anyone run across any solution for PSN that can be done with Comcast tech support help or oneself? From what I read, getting a static IP address is a hail mary workaround, no more than getting a dynamically assigned IP address changed. Changing providers appears to be a solution, but not one for everyone.

Setting up a VPN connection, just to get a different public IP address? Its clear this isn't a priority for Xfinity or for Sony PSN to figure out, but there have been alot of complaints about this on dslreports and other sites.

As far as I know, temporary workarounds one can attempt are (1) new modem (new MAC address), or power off Xfinity gateway for the IP address lease to expire, which could take up to 5 (?) days or might not expire, or (2) if in bridge mode, configure the home router to change its MAC address or enable MAC address cloning, and probably reboot the cable modem (reboot if using a Xfinity modem in bridge mode!) when the MAC address is changed.

For what its worth, summary of Xfinity tech support outcomes I've experienced (sound familiar?)

* Tech support analysts usually stated that powering the modem off for up to either 12 hours or 5 days (various figures short of that were quoted up to 12 hours, a knowledgebase article was quoted to me at 12 hours, and once was told up to 5 days based on DHCP lease) will cause the IP address to change. Not true in bridging mode in my area, and so far not true with 2 different XB3 Cisco gateways from the local Xfinity office!

* More than once Xfinity support promised resetting the Xfinity gateway to factory settings, reapplying the configuration and having tech support apply the modem profile will, "I promise you," solve the issue. Except that it does not work in my experience.