members

online now

discussions

Apple airport time capsule

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 5
Has anyone used an Apple Airport Time Capsule with Xfinity internet service??? The technician on the phone said it was not compatible..... Just wondering if anyone has used one in their home installation.
4 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 2 of 5

Works just fine.  I have one connected to the Cable Modem and it retrieves the DHCP address from Comcast without issue.

Highlighted
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 3 of 5

I actually have all Apple in my home with Comcast including Time Capsule, Airport and 2 Airport Express.  I have never experienced any issues with compatibility at all.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 4 of 5

The following is my experience setting up my iMac (2011 27”) running Yosemite (10.2.2) to the Motorola Surfboard 6141 cable modem (non-Wifi) using my Apple Time Capsule / Airport Extreme (software updated to 7.7.3) as a wireless router (but directly connecting to my iMac via ethernet for fastest and most stable connection). NOTE: This is for Comcast/Xfinity users (not sure about other service providers).

Started with TM and modem disconnected and unplugged. Connected the modem to cable to wall outlet and then did the following:

1. Plugged in the power to the SB6141.
2. Connected my SB6141 directly to computer via Ethernet cable. Tested to ensure that I had internet accessibility. Done.
3. Xfinity/Comcast customers: Open your browser. Your browser will default to an activation page. Sign in to your account with your Comcast e-mail and password. Click activate button and wait (as long as 15 minutes). When the modem is activated, click continue. The modem will cycle through and reconnect (about 5 minutes).
4. At this point my modem was connected directly to my computer via Ethernet.
5. I disconnected the Ethernet cable from my computer an plugged it into my Time Capsule/Airport Extreme WAN port (the bottom port) which was unplugged from power. I then powered it up to see what would happen. Blinking yellow.
6. I then disconnected the cable and switched another cable to that WAN port and then into the modem’s port. I then connected my iMac to the TM’s LAN port (one of the other 3 ports) using another cable Still blinking yellow.
7. I then opened my Network control panel in the System Preferences menu. I made sure that I had Ethernet chosen and then clicked on the Assist Me button at the bottom.
8. It walked me through powering down my devises (modem then TM/AE, I think).
9. Boom! All connected. Checked my WiFi devices and they were up and running.

I have no idea if I needed to go through the beginning steps of connecting directly to my computer first (but I had major problems connecting when I tried without doing it earlier . . . computer said it had Internet access, but it didn’t; Time Capsule showed everything fine in my Airport Utility on my Mac, but it wasn’t). BUT: I also had not activated the device through the Comcast/Xfinity website either. So . . . Regardless. This worked for me. Good luck.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 5 of 5

Year old thread now being closed.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon