Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

ARRIS TG1682G rebooting frequently

Frequent Visitor

ARRIS TG1682G rebooting frequently

I just got a new router, but many times a day the internet will drop. When i go to look at the router during the internet drops out it will be powering on. (lights turning on, one by one) Trying to research this issue, seems like many people online are experiencing similar unexpected reboots. The old comcast provided router wouldnt lose connection and reboot many times a day. Not sure what to do besides switch back to old router or find a new provider. I wish this one would just stay connected. The xfi seemed kinda neat, but not worth it if it needs to reboot every couple of hours. Smiley Sad

Tags (3)
Expert

Re: ARRIS TG1682G rebooting frequently

Start with the modem's signal stats. Perhaps they already are, or they are close to being out of spec and intermittently they go completely of spec. Try getting them here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Frequent Visitor

SNR 40.95 dB

Downstream Power Level 0.90 dBmV

Upstream Power Level 41.75 dBmV

Frequent Visitor

Funny, just a few minutes ago an xfinity worker was up in his boom lift doing something with the line going directly to my house 

I unplugged the router and plugged it back in to reset it, and things seem to be cooperating at the moment. 

Expert

Zomba wrote:

SNR 40.95 dB

Downstream Power Level 0.90 dBmV

Upstream Power Level 41.75 dBmV

Are there any more up and downstream channels being shown ?

Frequent Visitor

Its still rebooting constantly...

connection.png

Regular Contributor

Maybe it's just me but the glaringly thing that stands out is your upstream showing D2.0 instead of D3.0 or higher.  Maybe it's just a quick of the modem but, I'm pretty sure 2.0 has or is being turned down as the number of devices decrease on the network.  Power could be a bit higher though for the DS channels and could give you better speeds if it gets bumped up.  Could just be a bad splitter somewhere in your house or a loose ground block just outside of your house.  

Expert

mrumppe wrote:

Maybe it's just me but the glaringly thing that stands out is your upstream showing D2.0 instead of D3.0 or higher.  Maybe it's just a quick of the modem but, I'm pretty sure 2.0 has or is being turned down as the number of devices decrease on the network.  .  

That's perfectly normal for the upstream / return path channels. It only indicates the channel *type* that is being used. If there are multiple bonded upstream channels present, then it is DOCSIS 3.0 

Expert

Zomba wrote:

Its still rebooting constantly...

OP. Those power levels are fine so far but I am still only able to see 5 downstream channels in your pic. Are there anymore ?
Frequent Visitor

connection.png

Frequent Visitor

Just finished with customer service on chat. they couldnt do anything and scheduled a tech to come by. he confirmed my tier of internet should be around 75Mbps and i was getting .07Mbps at the time. 

Expert

The stats as read at the modem level at that moment in time were o/k but there are three additional signal stats that can cause this which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.

Frequent Visitor

Tech just left. He said the modem wasnt activated properly. 20 min later im up to full speed and back to normal.

Thanks for all the help everyone 

Expert

Hope things hold up for you because improper activation / provisioning doesn't cause a re-booting problem. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

hello,

I thought i should complete the end of this story. Minutes after my last post the router rebooted again and the speeds were ****(apparently you cant type a certain word for waste matter that come from your rear end). luckly the tech was still in my driveway so i walk out and tell him. "i was afraid of that," he said. He tries 3-4 other routers and eventually get a speed test to show correct speeds. ok, great. that works for the day, then more restarting and **** speeds. oh well, ive been overpaying the non-promotional price for way to long. Ive already order sonic internet to replace it. Hopefully it'll work, its half the advertised speed, 50Mbps, but i was getting 10Mbps on average so it should be faster than my actual speeds.

Official Employee

Hi Zomba, apologies for your device frequently rebooting and your slow internet speeds you described above.  I know you stated you were going with another provider but if you would like to troubleshoot your speeds further please let me know.

Thank you

New Poster

How did he "properly" activate it?