online now

discussions

ARRIS SURFboard SBG6900-AC inconsistent wifi

SOLVED
Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 9

Hello Everyone,

My apologies if this has been discussed. I did not find anything with a quick search.

I'm wondering if anyone with the above mentioned Arris SURFboard is has constant WiFi issues. For me, the WiFi stays connected but reports "No Internet". I have to drop the WiFi either via Airplane Mode, or disconnect and reconnect. The wired netword connection is not having the same problem. Only the WiFi. Rebooting the router only fixes it temporarily. Printers, mobile phone, Chromecast & Smart TV all loose internet connection at the same time.

Arris claims it is problem with the Comcast signal to the router. Comcast came out and ran a line test from the modem back to their box and the signal is solid. As a preventative measure, they did replace all the cable connectors and retested with the same results. Speedtest.net is returning download speeds +100Mbps. So I don't think it is a Comcast issue especially since the Comcast router did not have this issue.

Arris made some configuration changes with the Channels to no avail. The router has been moved around the room to rule out any outside interference. Again, the Comcast router did not have this issue. I suspect a bad modem but Arris is saying no. So hear I am seeking advice, sympathy or whatever.

Very much appreciate your thoughts.

-sm

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted by
Contributor

Message 8 of 9
Solution

Hello,

For some reason, I am unable to respond to the original topic located at: 
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/ARRIS-SURFboard-SBG6900-AC-inconsistent-wifi/m-p/2876...

When I select the reply button, nothing happens. Tried three different browsers on two separate computers and Android, so I opened this one.

To recap, my Arris SURFboard SBG6900-AC WiFi was continuously loosing internet access. The WiFi itself was not dropping, just the ability to use the internet. Only way to get it back was to disable/reenable the WiFi connection or to reboot the device (TV, Printer, etc). This was wreaking havoc with my Smart TV & Netflix, my wireless printers and laptops. After 4 calls to Arris and two to Xfinity which resulted in a tech coming out to retap my cables and check the line integrity, I found moving the 6900 to another room solved my problem.

The theory from Arris was my 6900 was being interferred with. Possibly from my neighbors Xfinity modem/router that I can see from my house. They also thought that either my WiFi printer or cordless phone was causing an interference. I turned off the printer and phone to rule them out. I finally decided to move the 6900 into the front room from my office and next to my cable TV receiver. This required putting in a splitter. Since moving the router to the front room, my WiFi has been rock solid. And .. the speeds are fast and consistent throughout the house being as it is more centralized. My daughter is particularly happy since her gaming PC is now staying connected and doing so at 5g. It auto detects and is picking the 5g over the 2.4g. 

So, for me anyway, moving the router solved my issue. No more internet drops or Netflix streaming issues.

Hope this info is helpful.

Cheers ...

8 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 2 of 9

I have the same issues, and I have to reboot the modem/router several times a day. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 3 of 9

Smiley Sad Sorry to hear. Guess I'm not alone then.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 4 of 9

I've had this problem since we got the Arris modem/router from Comcast a couple of years ago.  I made so many calls to Comcast that they finally sent a guy out here and he gave us a new Arris modem/router.  It helped for a while, but I soon went back to losing the connection every 5 or 10 minutes.

I have noticed that I don't have any problem at all when I use my computer at my Mom and Dad's house, my daughter's house, or on vacation in Florida.  The one thing these locations have in common is separate router and separate modem, not this Arris combination "upgrade" we have.

I can't bear to call Comcast another time. They are not at all helpful and just have us power down the Arris and wait a bit, then power on.  Yeah, I've done that a couple of thousand times, so no thanks.

I'm always looking online for some solution (that is----if I can keep a connection for more than the usual 5-10 minutes).  I found one tonite, tried it----and YES it is working, at least for tonite, which is already more connection time than I've had for a long time.  

Here's the link:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/YHN/page/1/thread-id/63853

Find the comments by "dtomaselli" on page 1.  He also has explanations later down the thread on how to do the changes to the security setting within the Arris if you don't know what he's talking about.  Like I didn't.

Short story is that you go to website http://10.0.0.1/ You need to enter your username and password which is not your xfinity user/pswd.  It's the username and pswd on the Arris.  Look on the bottom of your Arris.  Mine was username: admin.  Pswd: password.  I changed my password as long as I was there.   Once you're in, it will get you a place where you can click on "wifi" settings (for your Arris/gateway) and look at the security settings. Click edit.  Change the setting (drop down menu) to WPA-PSK(TKIP)------which surprise, surprise, is the "recommended" setting.  My Arris came from Comcast with the default setting WPA/WPA2-PSK(TKIP/AES).  Somewhere near the bottom you need to click "save" or whatever it says.

This was all greek to me until I was forced to try something or go stark raving mad.  Even if this security setting is  less secure, hey, at least I'm on the internet for more than 5 minutes at a time.   And I seriously doubt that it's a security problem---but what do I know.  I'm willing to risk it in order to maintain a connection.

ps to Comcast.  I see this intermittant wifi connection complaint all over the internet.  I really did NOT want to know all this gateway/router/modem business just to be able to get a decent connection.  I pay over $200/month for internet and cable.  If the Arris security setting is the only problem, then set it to the recommended setting before you give it to us.  And give your Customer Service people a new script so they can tell people how to fix their lousy connections.  Honestly, I'm appalled.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 5 of 9

I'm still online with no wifi dropping.  It's like nite and day.  Such a relief to just be able to read long articles or move around to different websites without having to restart computer or modem/router.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the URL and tips. My Arris modem was already configured as noted. That was one of the configuration changes Arris had me make. For reference, I had read an articile discussing things that can interfere with the router. Things like cordless phone, microwave, other routers in the area, power conduits, etc.

For me, my router is sitting between my WiFi printer and a sword display that has three metal Japanese style swords. The swords were just barely touching the router. I also noted that my medal shed and A/C power harness is on the other side of the wall. Since I moved the router to another location, the WiFi loosing internet access has stabalized. I also seperated the 2.4 and 5ghz radio's to see if having them bound was causing a problem. So far so good for me anyway.

Highlighted
Posted by
New Poster

Message 7 of 9

I'm having similiar problems with my Arris SBG6900-AC. My wifi signal is very spotty and inconsistent. From the same location in the house the wifi signal will vary from non-existent to "strong" from hour to hour and day to day. When I do have a "strong" wifi signal I have access to the internet.  I have not contacted Arris with this yet, don't expect to much help from them if I do. I have ordered a wireless access point from Ubiquiti and will install that hoping to create a stable wireless connection. Like you I doubt that Xfinity is the cause of this as I have rock solid wired internet access and rock solid television signal.

Arris appears to be sub-standard equipment, I will stick with Cisco, Ubiquiti, etc next time.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 8 of 9
Solution

Hello,

For some reason, I am unable to respond to the original topic located at: 
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/ARRIS-SURFboard-SBG6900-AC-inconsistent-wifi/m-p/2876...

When I select the reply button, nothing happens. Tried three different browsers on two separate computers and Android, so I opened this one.

To recap, my Arris SURFboard SBG6900-AC WiFi was continuously loosing internet access. The WiFi itself was not dropping, just the ability to use the internet. Only way to get it back was to disable/reenable the WiFi connection or to reboot the device (TV, Printer, etc). This was wreaking havoc with my Smart TV & Netflix, my wireless printers and laptops. After 4 calls to Arris and two to Xfinity which resulted in a tech coming out to retap my cables and check the line integrity, I found moving the 6900 to another room solved my problem.

The theory from Arris was my 6900 was being interferred with. Possibly from my neighbors Xfinity modem/router that I can see from my house. They also thought that either my WiFi printer or cordless phone was causing an interference. I turned off the printer and phone to rule them out. I finally decided to move the 6900 into the front room from my office and next to my cable TV receiver. This required putting in a splitter. Since moving the router to the front room, my WiFi has been rock solid. And .. the speeds are fast and consistent throughout the house being as it is more centralized. My daughter is particularly happy since her gaming PC is now staying connected and doing so at 5g. It auto detects and is picking the 5g over the 2.4g. 

So, for me anyway, moving the router solved my issue. No more internet drops or Netflix streaming issues.

Hope this info is helpful.

Cheers ...

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 9 of 9

Preceeding post merged here from latest posting.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon