Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

A neighbor's wireless network interfering?

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 2 (1,099 Views)

A neighbor's wireless network interfering?

The last two mornings when I get to my computer on my wireless network, I have only the Cisco window visible and no internet access. I look at my Mac settings and another named (not mine) wireless network is shown. I switch it back to mine (which is on the list) and I can get online. It is going to this other network on its own.

I also notice that I have an unstable and weak signal in my living room. The router and model are upstairs. I can get a signal extender but I wonder if the neighbor whose wireless network seems to overtake my own each night has such a strong signal near my downstairs area, that this interference is key.

Thanks.

1 REPLY
Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 2 of 2 (1,090 Views)

Re: A neighbor's wireless network interfering?

I would recommend two things before going down the extender route:

1. Change the wireless channel on your router.  You don't say what wireless router you have so I can't be more specific.  In general, most routers default to channel 6, try 1 or 11.  Some routers are smarter and try to find a channel with little to no traffic.  It all depends on what you have.

2.  On your Mac: Apple -> Location -> Network Preferences..., select your Wi-Fi adapter and press the Advanced... button.  On the Wi-Fi tab, remove all but your network from the Preferred Networks list.  Press OK.  Check the option Ask to join new networks and press Apply.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program