Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

95% packet lost

Frequent Visitor

95% packet lost

I tried a graphic ping tool called pingplotter to check my internet and found that I have absurd packet lost rate(the PL% in the table and the red bar in graph). Firstly there seems to be a local problem because the packet loss rate is 40% for my router. But when I try directly ping my router at 192.168.1.1 there's no packet lost at all. I just don't understand why the difference and what I can do to trouble shoot. I've updated all related drivers and nothing changed. Secondly the 95% packet lost rate starts from the second hop all the way to the final. It looks like an ISP issue. How to get it fixed?

I'm having disconnections very often recently. The modem would reset itself a few minutes after connection lost. I can tell that because the lights for up/down stream and "ONLINE" all went off then started to blink and back on a while later. That's why I started to test my internet and downloaded pingplotter. A comcast custom service I called reset my connection and said it's fixed. But from pingplotter data I couldn't see any difference. 

www.google.com.png

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: 95% packet lost

Well, like I mentioned, I found that the packet lost issue is only related with my wifi router. There's no packet loss when I directly link modem to PC. So I replaced the router with a new one today and the packet loss issue is gone. I'm still watching whether connection lost issue continues. So far I've seen a few latency spikes but not another complete connection lost yet.

All Replies
Frequent Visitor

Kept recording for around 9 hours now and the result is quite stable. And I just lost connection once more. BTW the results are very much the same for other address like twitter, pingplotter.com, blizzard server.

www.google.com.png
Expert

Hi @Chris-42

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

I tried directly link my PC to the modem and all the packet lost are gone. So I guess my internet problem has nothing to do with the packet loss problem which is related to my router. But wierdly I have trouble accessing my modem UI. I can access 192.168.100.1 for only less than a minute every time right after I reboot my modem but then the page freezes and I can no longer access this address. I snipped the channel report and error log here. The numbers seems alright for signal power but there are tons of level 3 error report since last night. The modem is netgear DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem. I think I need help in 2 things: Why I can't access my modem after about 1min it is rebooted; How to fix my internet from losing connection all the time.

DS.PNG
Expert

What is your exact modem (model)? Is it a CMD31T-100NAS?

Frequent Visitor

It's CMD31T without 100NAS.

Expert

Okay. I've seen that modem fail in the same way in the past, which is why I asked about it. My best guess is that you need to replace the modem. I've asked an employee to check your modem/node health, so you can get a second opinion. You can expect a reply in this thread.

Official Employee

Hello Chris-42. I can assist with troubleshooting your packet loss issues. I'd like to start with polling the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. I can also check your local Node/Plant for any degradation or error reports. Please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can access your equipment.

Frequent Visitor

Well, like I mentioned, I found that the packet lost issue is only related with my wifi router. There's no packet loss when I directly link modem to PC. So I replaced the router with a new one today and the packet loss issue is gone. I'm still watching whether connection lost issue continues. So far I've seen a few latency spikes but not another complete connection lost yet.

Expert

Terrific! Try resetting your router back to factory settings and then update the firmware. Also, watch the error log on that modem.