Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

16 channels vs 24 or 32 channel Modems

Regular Visitor

16 channels vs 24 or 32 channel Modems

Looking to upgrade my very old SB6121 modem. Will upgrading to a 32 or 24 channel modem instead of a 16 channel modem make a noticeable difference while online gaming and streaming HD at the same time?

Also, I noticed that the 24 and 32 channel modems are not 3.1 compatible. Will I need to upgrade anyway when 3.1 rolls out?

Regular Contributor

Re: 16 channels vs 24 or 32 channel Modems

cherrypik1 wrote:

Looking to upgrade my very old SB6121 modem. Will upgrading to a 32 or 24 channel modem instead of a 16 channel modem make a noticeable difference while online gaming and streaming HD at the same time?

Also, I noticed that the 24 and 32 channel modems are not 3.1 compatible. Will I need to upgrade anyway when 3.1 rolls out?

What speed tier are you on?

The more channels, the better at handling network traffic (think about it as highway lanes). If alot of people in your area are online, the more lanes the better, as your speed will not go down. I am using a Netgear CM600 that has 24 downstream channels with the 150Mbps plan (I get about 175Mbps).

Regular Visitor

I'm on the Extreme 150 plan. The 16 channel modem cost $130 and the 24 channel modem cost $240. Is it worth $100 extra?

Silver Problem Solver

I'd add that the D3.1 modems available currently, are also compatable with D3.0, so if your system doesn't have D3.1 yet they will still work.

Your speed will work with an 8 downstream channel modem, but more channels as stated is always better. It all depends how "future proof" you want to be and if you think it's worth spending the extra.

Regular Visitor

So the more channels the more consistent our the internent will perform.i.e. no slow downs or buffering?

Would living out in the stixs cause any internet traffic or is the traffic in-house related such as HD streaming and online gaming?

Silver Problem Solver

It's more about local congestion the more channels the better. Buffering  / slow downs can occur at any time depending on a number of factors routes/ your own network ect;There are some backwaters where Comcast don't have as many downstream channels.

Living out in the stix shouldn't effect anything as long as your local system is up to it.

Regular Visitor

Great thanks for your promptness bud!

Silver Problem Solver

No worries, good luck! Smiley Happy

Connection Expert

FWIW, at this point in time, I personally would not buy any DOCSIS 3.0 modem. There are other side benefits to using the DOCSIS 3.1 protocol besides just speeds / one's subscribed to speed tier;

http://www.arriseverywhere.com/tag/docsis-3-1/

http://www.cablelabs.com/innovations/docsis3-1/

https://www.duckware.com/blog/the-dark-problem-with-aqm-in-the-internet/index.html

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

The Arris link is useless. Actually, worse than useless.  How do I get that 8 minutes back?

Highlighted
Connection Expert

Sorry but it is an older link that was valid last year.. Dead thread from last year now being closed. Please create your own new topic here on this board detailing your issue. Thank you.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation