The DVR service on our box has went out twice now. We had the box replaced once and it worked fine for a week, but is now sucking, yet again. The people on the phone and on live chat are way less than helpful. I'm seriously considering another provider. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you deal with it? Thank you.
Unplug the DVR and leave it unplugged for several minutes, then plug it back in. It takes a few minutes to boot up and get authorization. If the problem persists, call Comcast to get it reactivated. If they can't, it might be a hardware issue with the box and might need replacing.
I have had this problem several times in the past two years. Was cleared by unplugging the box and then restarting power a minute later. Happend again yesterday and power off technique didn't work - phone support claims not to be familiar withthis message and casue. Techician came today and tried to tell me that I must not have a dvr box! Immediate solution was to replace the box.
I just got the HD DVR and got the same message - after reading some of the posts - I unplugged it for a few minutes and still get the same message. This was after I called comcast a few hours ago and they said they were resetting it for me. I'll try one more time and then I'm taking the box back - it should not be this difficult.
Sometimes that message appears for a few minutes following loss of power, so unplugging the DVR definitely isn't the way to resolve it. Try waiting for a short period. If that doesn't work, then call 1-800-COMCAST.
I got this message this morning. Called COMCAST and was told to plug/unplug which I did. Did not fix the problem. Took the DVR to the cable office and switched boxes. Set up new dvr and it has the same message...DVR service is unavailable or disabled! Called COMCAST again and apparently others are getting this message too and there is nothing in their database to tell them how to fix it over the phone. So I have to have a technician come to the house. Now I'm wondering if there was anything wrong with my other DVR... it appears to be a problem with COMCAST and the DVR service.
Update: Technician came today. Said that for some reason my dvr was set to the wrong "outlet" (something on COMCAST's end) and the wrong "rate code" (again on their end). I don't know what these things are and how they could have been re-set to the wrong thing after the whatever it was before had been working and working for a really long time! It's finally working again after I exchanged my dvr (and didn't need to). I just wanted to post an update because I looked online when my DVR displayed this message and could not find anything on the solution. Just posting this in case someone else has the same issue you'll know what to tell customer support when they can't find any solutions in their database.