online now

discussions

VCR Recording - Picture but No Sound

82 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 1 of 83 (705 Views)

Re: VCR Recording - Picture but No Sound

Clolsing this thread as the question has been answered.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 2 of 83 (710 Views)

PurrSuede wrote:

...Does the problem exist when you have a Comcast DVR?

I'm asking in general, I don't see any Comcast DVR users in here upset about it. So how else can we be inclined except to think that Comcast basically wants to force us to use their DVR, or else it just doesn't work properly.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Tonight I recorded two programs similtaneously starting with the receiver powered off.  When I turned the TV on mid program, one of the shows was playing sans audio.  One press of a button made the audio pop on.

The DVR, however, recorded the audio for both entire programs.

So the answer seems to be that the snafu of no audio output does also exist with the DVRs, but it doesn't make any difference to what is recorded internally.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 3 of 83 (725 Views)

Tivos use Comcast supplied cable cards so they would work similar to the Comcast DVR.

Just a better interface I am told.

Also need to remember that Tivo's have a seperate subscription fee with them that goes to Tivo.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 4 of 83 (727 Views)

ComcastTeds wrote:

I will work to make sure that this information is updated in other places so our customers using VCR's or other external recording devices are made more aware.

Unfortunately, we don't have plans to change the current behavior. This decision is primarily due to declining VCR usage and VCR ownership that started in the early 2000's. I realize and understand that some customers are not happy with this change and with Comcast’s decision to leave the current behavior as it is.

To tell customers that we are going to look into changing this behavior in the current guide would not be true and would be misleading. 

Besides Comcast's DVR, there are certainly third party DVRs (Tivo and others) available for retail purchase that will allow greater recording and playback flexibility.

But as VCR usage and ownership went down, DVR usage and ownership went UP.

And the problem ~still~ exists when using a DVR. I don't have Tivo, but I suspect it's still a problem as well. Does the problem exist when you have a Comcast DVR?

I'm asking in general, I don't see any Comcast DVR users in here upset about it. So how else can we be inclined except to think that Comcast basically wants to force us to use their DVR, or else it just doesn't work properly.

And you know, when the STB is off, the VIDEO is passed through, it can't be that difficult to pass the audio as well...

I understand that when software gets updated, other things get introduced but it makes NO sense to me (or many others in this thread for example) that the STB must be ON in order to record AUDIO when it is passing-through the Video and it always did so previously without being on.

I mean if someone would just say "we introduced a bug, we didn't mean to, but..."

But all we get is smoke and nonsense about it.

And then "Sorry, nope, you'll have to turn the STB on, instead of allowing our "recording option" to do so... and we have no plans to fix it...."

I am not an engineer but I can't imagine WHAT purpose this would have served other than trying to force people to use Comcast DVRs... unless, as I've speculated, no one even bothered to test this when the new software was developed...

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-06-2012 06:49 PM

Official Employee

Message 5 of 83 (744 Views)

[ Edited ]

I appreciate your feedback. I have repeated some information below and added some more information in the attempt to clarify further.

I'm not aware of an issue with the M-F VCR recordings feature but I will ask our lab to attempt to reproduce to see where the issue may be.

The key to a successful unattended VCR recording is to leave the cable box on all the time. I realize this is contrary to how the previous system worked. Leaving the box on will record the audio intact without any user interaction (Volume up, etc). This is how the feature has worked for many years on the on-screen program guide that we have on millions of Motorola cable boxes that we have deployed across the country.

We have addressed that specific variance a few times on Comcast Voices...http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scie​ntific-atlanta-cable-boxes.html

Our customer care agents also have access to this information. Apologies if they did not communicate that information.    

I will work to make sure that this information is updated in other places so our customers using VCR's or other external recording devices are made more aware.

Unfortunately, we don't have plans to change the current behavior. This decision is primarily due to declining VCR usage and VCR ownership that started in the early 2000's. I realize and understand that some customers are not happy with this change and with Comcast’s decision to leave the current behavior as it is.

To tell customers that we are going to look into changing this behavior in the current guide would not be true and would be misleading. 

Besides Comcast's DVR, there are certainly third party DVRs (Tivo and others) available for retail purchase that will allow greater recording and playback flexibility.

Posted by
Visitor
  • The Community would like to Welcome you!

Message 6 of 83 (752 Views)

Amen!!!

Posted by
Visitor
Message 7 of 83 (757 Views)

I'm very glad I found this thread in the forums, because I was knocking myself out trying to figure out why it didn't work properly.

However, there is another problem (which Comcast probably also doesn't care enough about customers to fix, since it has a monopoly in our market)--namely that the set-top box seems to "forget" about Mon-Fri VCR recordings.

This morning (Monday morning) for example, I double-checked, and made certain that the programs I wish to record this afternoon and early evening all showed the little "multiple red dot" icon in the guide--and I left the set-top box ON, because of the bug in the software that Comcast doesn't care about us enough to fix.

And, at the appointed time, the channel on the set top box had NOT changed, so my VCR was recording the wrong station.  What FIXES this is turning the set-top box off and then on again.

So, you see, ComcastTeds, here's what it looks like to me--and your other customers.  We pay a bill, this month, and notice a $10 to $15 increase in our charges.  Paying more and more.  We've gone from being able to record our programs, daily--like news shows and so on--reliably and without worrying about it, to an UNRELIABLE system which doesn't always work for reasons that are never explained to us, and we hear smug remarks about how Comcast doesn't care enough to "have plans to correct that current behavior."

So how long do you think it will take us to sign up with an internet/TV rival if one comes along?  How much loyalty do you think such an attitude builds?

And why is it that I must come to a clearing house for squawking from unhappy customers to find out that I have to leave a set-top box turned on at all times in order to have it record my programs--SOMETIMES, provided I'm there to make sure I don't have to switch it on and off a few times or play with the remote to get sound recorded as well as image?

My gosh, what a DREADFUL company Comcast is!

Posted by
Visitor
Message 8 of 83 (776 Views)

PurrSuede wrote:

I had indeed read what you wrote. I was ~agreeing~ with you, that it wouldn't work when going across two different channels.

rleescott wrote: I have searched unsuccessfully for ways to turn this feature off. Has this been noticed by others, and is there a workaround?

VoTM wrote: I haven't found a workaround for VCRs if the shows are on two different channels, and would also be curious.

And I added: Again, nope (there is no workaround), if you want it to change channels... guess what, you're now going to record this silly graphic screen.

Better?

Better.

Again, nope, if you want it to change channels... guess what, you're now going to record this silly graphic screen. I mean why on earth they would obliterate the image with a warning that you are about to record something, when the only reason the warning comes on is BECAUSE you are going to record something.
Posted by
Edited on
‎02-04-2012 03:13 PM

Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 9 of 83 (785 Views)

[ Edited ]

VoTM wrote:

Well, if you had actually bothered to read what I wrote, you'd see that I make no claims for my advice working when the two shows are on different channels. I'm just as curious as you on a solution to the two-channel issue.

I offered my advice because I have friends who hadn't realized there was a way to get around the graphic screen when recoding consecutive shows on a single channel, and/or were recording shows after a show of interest on a sports night to make sure they didn't miss anything. I'm sure there are others relatively new to Comcast who are similarly unfamiliar with some of the things a user can do to avoid annoyances.

I had indeed read what you wrote. I was ~agreeing~ with you, that it wouldn't work when going across two different channels.

rleescott wrote: I have searched unsuccessfully for ways to turn this feature off. Has this been noticed by others, and is there a workaround?

VoTM wrote: I haven't found a workaround for VCRs if the shows are on two different channels, and would also be curious.

And I added: Again, nope (there is no workaround), if you want it to change channels... guess what, you're now going to record this silly graphic screen.

Better?

Posted by
Visitor
Message 10 of 83 (787 Views)

PurrSuede wrote:

VoTM wrote:

I haven't found a workaround for VCRs if the shows are on two different channels, and would also be curious.

If the shows are on the same channel, you can record the first show with up to two extra hours at the end to avoid that graphic being inserted. This feature is also useful for taping shows that are scheduled after sports events (e.g., Amazing Race during the football season), in order to safeguard against late starts.

Again, nope, if you want it to change channels... guess what, you're now going to record this silly graphic screen. I mean why on earth they would obliterate the image with a warning that you are about to record something, when the only reason the warning comes on is BECAUSE you are going to record something.

Well, if you had actually bothered to read what I wrote, you'd see that I make no claims for my advice working when the two shows are on different channels. I'm just as curious as you on a solution to the two-channel issue.

I offered my advice because I have friends who hadn't realized there was a way to get around the graphic screen when recoding consecutive shows on a single channel, and/or were recording shows after a show of interest on a sports night to make sure they didn't miss anything. I'm sure there are others relatively new to Comcast who are similarly unfamiliar with some of the things a user can do to avoid annoyances.

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-04-2012 02:19 PM

Visitor

Message 11 of 83 (792 Views)

[ Edited ]

ComcastTeds wrote:

Separately, using a DVR (Comcast owned or otherwise) allows for greater user flexibility (recording more than one thing at a time, no tapes, automatically maintaining series recordings when your favorite program changes from Friday at 8pm to Tuesday at 10pm etc.) is the point I was trying to make.

And when you have your own DVR it becomes a bit difficult to record downstream from the STB (aka the content you subscribe to Comcast for) to record more than one thing at a time. It's really only possible if the DVR you have will record off the "air" (has a tuner). If you're recording your Comcast content with your own DVR it's pretty darn near impossible, the way Comcast now has their signal.

To do these kinds of features, you'd likely need to put a DVR ~upstream~ from the Comcast content and pass through the cable signal to the STB, but that makes it very difficult to record from Comcast properly.

Once again, I would suspect Comcast's development and programming labs aren't really even testing these things other than their own branded product... another way to try and force us to rent their own equipment, instead of enabling us to buy and use our own...

Posted by
Visitor

Message 12 of 83 (794 Views)

I didn't even have to do this when I had the crazy old VCR Commander that came out of the back of the STB and hung over the front of the VCR and sent an infrared signal from the STB to the VCR that it was time to come on...

LOL -- remember those???

Posted by
Visitor

Message 13 of 83 (795 Views)

VoTM wrote:

I haven't found a workaround for VCRs if the shows are on two different channels, and would also be curious.

If the shows are on the same channel, you can record the first show with up to two extra hours at the end to avoid that graphic being inserted. This feature is also useful for taping shows that are scheduled after sports events (e.g., Amazing Race during the football season), in order to safeguard against late starts.

HELLO! LOL

And yes, you avoid it if the two shows are on the same channel, but not if they are on two different channels. I try to set the STB programming outside of the parameters I've set the DVR or VCR for, and that way I don't record the silly graphic screen.

Do you think Comcast possibly ran a beta test on these features past any end users before they shoved this new version in?

I agree I'd rather leave the STB off. As I mentioned now I have lovely 3M(tm) Post-IT notes stuck to my STB that remind me (oh look, I have to turn my STB on!) so I can actually record WITH audio.

What a concept! grrrrrrrrrrrr....

Posted by
Visitor

Message 14 of 83 (796 Views)

rleescott wrote:

I am glad this topic has generated renewed interest with response from a Comcast employee. I would like to have my box off except when recording, because I can not prove that my electric bill isn't higher with constant power on, but I think it's clear that it isn't going to happen.

Since several of you are using VCRs, let me ask this. When I record 2 shows back to back, I get a graphic warning of end of program and starting of a new one. The graphic is in the middle of the screen and obscures the programming in a very undesirable way. I have searched unsuccessfully for ways to turn this feature off. Has this been noticed by others, and is there a workaround?

I'm using a DVR, but I get the same thing. Because of that I always use the 1 minute early and 1 minute late feature when setting the "VCR Recording" feature.

But that's another thing that's a pain with this new system. If you want to record let's say a show at 07:00 PM and 08:00 PM back to back... you can set it to start early (06:59 PM) but there's no way to now set it to stop at 09:01 PM. So I actually use the 1.5 hour entry, I set the STB to record from 06:59 to 09:30 PM and set the DVR (or VCR) to end at 09:01 and that way I don't see/record the graphic.

Another "brilliant" idea from the people who did this...

Posted by
Visitor
Message 15 of 83 (804 Views)

Posted by
Contributor
  • On your way! Congrats on Posting 10 topics!

Message 16 of 83 (806 Views)

I am glad this topic has generated renewed interest with response from a Comcast employee. I would like to have my box off except when recording, because I can not prove that my electric bill isn't higher with constant power on, but I think it's clear that it isn't going to happen.

Since several of you are using VCRs, let me ask this. When I record 2 shows back to back, I get a graphic warning of end of program and starting of a new one. The graphic is in the middle of the screen and obscures the programming in a very undesirable way. I have searched unsuccessfully for ways to turn this feature off. Has this been noticed by others, and is there a workaround?

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-04-2012 09:35 AM

Visitor
Message 17 of 83 (814 Views)

[ Edited ]

PurrSuede wrote:

howie14w: Over the years I've saved some of my favorite all-time emails from Comcast. Yours is a classic. Here's my favorite. I've been a fan of BBC America and in 2009 I wondered if Comcast would ever bring BBC-HighDef to their cable lineup. After seeing several BBC ads suggesting we contact our cable provider for more information, I did so. Here is the Comcast reply:

--------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Comcast cable service.

I understand that you want that BBC will be in HD format. I would like
to inform you that as of the moment there not able to  is no schedule
for that yet. You will be inform if you

If you need more chat please feel free to contact us, Thank you.

We value your business.Thank you for choosing Comcast.

Sincerely,

Ma Lorena B
Comcast Customer Care Specialist

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've shared this with friends over the years. Truly a classic. LOL!

I was always emailing DISH to complain that my local sportsnet wasn't available in HD.  I always got the same cut and paste reply, but at least it made sense.

One place where I once worked allowed low paid clericals to answer certain inquiries.  Once, the tech answered the question using stock numbered paragraphs, but pulled them from the wrong database.  The result was a series of random paragraphs on different topics, but at least each individual paragraph made sense.

Another time the tech bypassed the system altogether and literally sent out a letter that said:

DIO para 142

Dio para 56

dio para 546

etc., etc., etc...

Pretty funny.

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-04-2012 09:13 AM

Visitor

Message 18 of 83 (822 Views)

[ Edited ]

howie14w: Over the years I've saved some of my favorite all-time emails from Comcast. Yours is a classic. Here's my favorite. I've been a fan of BBC America and in 2009 I wondered if Comcast would ever bring BBC-HighDef to their cable lineup. After seeing several BBC ads suggesting we contact our cable provider for more information, I did so. Here is the Comcast reply:

--------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Comcast cable service.

I understand that you want that BBC will be in HD format. I would like
to inform you that as of the moment there not able to  is no schedule
for that yet. You will be inform if you

If you need more chat please feel free to contact us, Thank you.

We value your business.Thank you for choosing Comcast.

Sincerely,

Ma Lorena B

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've shared this with friends over the years. Truly a classic. LOL!

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-04-2012 09:08 AM

Visitor

Message 19 of 83 (825 Views)

[ Edited ]

I will say this as well, the more I explore Comcast "on demand", the less my DVR gets a workout, and Comcast OnDemand is a nice alternative to having to always DVR some of my favorite shows.

Of course certain networks "disable" the FF key when watching OnDemand, sooooo...

I have noticed that the OnDemand shows seem to have a much clearer, cleaner picture and better sound quality than even some of the regularly scheduled network shows... And of course, no matter how good the DVR, the OnDemand often presents a better picture and I don't have to worry about setting my DVR to capture the show and/or STB on/off etc.

But then not every show is on OnDemand either, so the DVR is indeed quite useful. But I still get the impression that Comcast really doesn't want people DVR'ing their content easily, and hence the "glitch".

Posted by
Visitor

Message 20 of 83 (826 Views)

Teds, I appreciate you taking the time to try to explain things more fully.

Here's the thing. It appears that you don't need the WorkAround if you PAY for the Comcast DVR rental.

That tells me two things. #1 is that the only testing that was likely done was with the Comcast DVR. #2 is that they don't care to fix an issue if the workaround is to: "rent one of our boxes.".

I bought my DVRs before this glitch was introduced. In all fairness, there is very little difference in actual electrical usage between leaving the STB on or letting the VCR recording option turn it on or off. That is because the Comcast STBs are pretty much instant ON as most customers want almost instantaneous picture. I'm sure the actual energy drain for leaving it on is negligible. Also people who have Comcast Cable modems may be used to "always on" as well. I could easily forsee Comcast looking down the road and thinking of an "at home" environment that is ON all the time.

But frankly, it s*cks to have to put little post it notes all over my STB to remind myself "Box must be on to record my favorite show on ----day".

I did post a text message earlier in this thread of "known issues" with the update push, what surprises me is that most customer service reps do not have access to this.

(reposted due to the username issue I've had on this forum for a long time...)

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-04-2012 09:03 AM

Frequent Visitor

Message 21 of 83 (831 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I've had an issue with my userid on this forum for some time. I'll repost.

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-03-2012 09:31 PM

Official Employee

Message 22 of 83 (844 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, with the new on-screen guide, there was a recent change in behavior in how the Record to VCR feature works for our customers with Scientific Atlanta and Cisco branded cable boxes.

We have addressed that variance a few times on Comcast Voices...http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scientific-atlanta-cable-boxes.html

I will work to make sure that information is updated in other places so our customers using VCR's or other external recording devices are made more aware.

The key to a successful unattended VCR recording is to leave the cable box on all the time. I realize this is contrary to how the previous system worked. Leaving the box on will record the audio intact without any user interaction (Volume up, etc).

Unfortunately, we don't have plans to correct that current behavior in this guide.  

Posted by
Visitor
Message 23 of 83 (853 Views)

Comcast Teds: I'm not sure what can be done.  I get the workaround, but that just shouldn't be necessary.

Once Comcast was aware of this problem, they should have fixed it or rolled back the update for digital boxes. 

Now they should at least be acknowledging that the problem exists.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 24 of 83 (863 Views)

If you're a Comcast employee, you could try to get your corporate honchos to acknowledge that when last year's set-top box programming was changed, it dramatically changed what we have to do to record programs to external devices like VCR's, DVD recorders or third party DVR's. Before, the recording procedure would turn the set-top box off. Now we have to keep our set top box on when we set the system to record to an external device. Otherwise there is no sound on our recording. Many of us have been saying this for a long time but Comcast has not acknowledged it and there has been no change in official recording instructions. It's hard to believe a major tele-communications firm could get away with this.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 25 of 83 (868 Views)

howie14w wrote:

How do you actually communicate with someone at Comcast who understand the product at least as well as I do?

Hello howie14w. Apologies for the confusing response you received via e-mail. 

I am a Comcast employee in video product development and familiar with the issue. How can I help you further?

Posted by
Visitor
Message 26 of 83 (875 Views)

Interestingly, I sent an email to Comcast to express my discontent and to request a resulution OR a second DVR without monthly fee (no, I don't expect they'll agree).

What I received in reply was gibberish.

We apologize for the inconvenience you've experienced.  I can assure you
it was never our intention that you would have this problem.

Thank you for contacting us regarding to your request to have free DVR
installed in your other room. I understand that you do most email
communication than to me. I can feel the same way too if I am not able
to access my email messages.

I understand the importance of having this issue resolved, Peter. I am
more than willing to assist you on how to place an order for a wireless
router.  Rest assured that your issue will be addressed in this e-mail
response.

Peter, here is what we will do to have this addressed.

You can actually contact us through calling 1-800-(934-6489) or through
chat at http://www.comcastsupport.com/chat to inquire for possible
available promotion or discount for DVR.

I will support your claim via extensive documentation here on my end
which they will use as reference of your issue. Through this, I am surre
that the process will be easy flowing.

Thank you for allowing me this opportunity to assist you, Peter . I
appreciate you sharing with us your concerns as we continue to strive
for complete customer satisfaction. Thank you for choosing Comcast as
your service provider and we value your business. Please do not hesitate
to contact us again in the future, if you have any further questions or
concerns. Enjoy the rest of your day and have a safe week ahead.

We are always happy to be of service. We remain committed in wanting to
provide you with the best customer service. Mike, if you have any other
questions, please don't hesitate to reply to this email or chat with one
of our Online Customer Support Specialists 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
at http://www.comcastsupport.com/chat

We really do appreciate your business. For additional assistance, our
FAQ section is a great resource; just visit www.comcast.net and select
help.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to respond directly to
this email. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Thank you for choosing Comcast.

Sincerely,

Angelica Claire R

So I've called and the person knew nothing and I've emailed and the person knew nothing.  

How do you actually communicate with someone at Comcast who understand the product at least as well as I do?

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-03-2012 12:10 PM

Visitor
Message 27 of 83 (879 Views)

[ Edited ]

VoTM: Yes, I am aware of the DVR capabilities and have already started making use of them..  My wife wants to watch her shows on her TV; not downstairs at the home theatre.  Since the DVR is not whole house, it makes no difference.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 28 of 83 (896 Views)

Re: VS. Recording - Picture but No Sound

howie14w wrote:

CCTed said: Of course I would be remiss if I did not mention that a Comcast DVR may also alleviate any potential issues including your current experience..

This statement sort of reinforces the conspiracy theory that Comcast intentionally loused up its software in order to collect more DVR fees.  I already have a Comcast HDDVR in our family room; we just don't want to pay the fee twice, especially since we have these Philips units.

I did also mention this in my post:

"Besides Comcast's own DVR, there are certainly third party DVRs available for retail purchase that will allow for greater recording and playback flexibility than using a VCR"

I was referring to Tivo, Moxi and other stand alone DVRs that work directly with Comcast (or other video provider's services) that are available for sale at retail outlets that I would suggest are good or better substitutions for a VCR.  

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 29 of 83 (900 Views)

PurrSuede wrote:

Not exactly true, Ted.

I have two DVR units, one is a Philips Magnavox, the other is a Sony.

For both of these units it is mandatory to leave the cable box on all the time in order to make a "timer" recording that has audio. So no, using a DVR instead of a VCR does not correct the issue...

And I'd point out that the Comcast menu itself still says:

"Set or cancel a VCR recording"...

that's why this thread is entitled "VCR Recording"

The issue is not from trying to record to a VCR, the issue is that the Comcast box when using the "VCR Recording" feature will no longer pass the AUDIO through to either a VCR or DVR if it is not in an ON status.

Apologies if I caused any confusion in my response. To clarify, leaving the cable box on will allow for the audio to be recorded onto a VCR or DVR or other external device connected to the cable box. That part is true.

Separately, using a DVR (Comcast owned or otherwise) allows for greater user flexibility (recording more than one thing at a time, no tapes, automatically maintaining series recordings when your favorite program changes from Friday at 8pm to Tuesday at 10pm etc.) is the point I was trying to make.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 30 of 83 (902 Views)

I agree that it is unfathomable that such an unusual error could have been accidentally introduced, especially in light of the fact that it has not been addressed in the time since this issue was raised.

However, given that the "All On/Off" toggle is virtually useless if one adds a DVD player or VCR to their Comcast remote control (it is, after all, a toggle, which in our house means that the DVD player is likely to be turned ON if we try to turn everything off), and given that the set top box draws power even when "off", I am less upset at the workaround than I might be under other circumstances.

On an unrelated note, the Comcast DVR can record two programs simultaneously, so long as the user does not need to watch a third program at the same time. (Not sure if your'e already taking advantage of this, howie14w, but it may be of use to others who were unaware of the dual recording capability and are trying to do the same thing you are with a second recorder.)

Posted by
Visitor
Message 31 of 83 (913 Views)

I'm actually using a Philips DVR/DVD recorder as well.  Since the problem is in the Comcast box, there is no difference between using a standalone DVR and using a VCR.  As Purr Suede said, in either case the box must stay on.

CCTed said: Of course I would be remiss if I did not mention that a Comcast DVR may also alleviate any potential issues including your current experience..

This statement sort of reinforces the conspiracy theory that Comcast intentionally loused up its software in order to collect more DVR fees.  I already have a Comcast HDDVR in our family room; we just don't want to pay the fee twice, especially since we have these Philips units.

Funny, DISH and Direct have an autotune function on their non-DVR units that doesn't leave the user without sound.

PurrSuede wrote:

Not exactly true, Ted.

For both of these units it is mandatory to leave the cable box on all the time in order to make a "timer" recording that has audio. So no, using a DVR instead of a VCR does not correct the issue...

The issue is not from trying to record to a VCR, the issue is that the Comcast box when using the "VCR Recording" feature will no longer pass the AUDIO through to either a VCR or DVR if it is not in an ON status.

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-02-2012 09:00 PM

Visitor

Message 32 of 83 (930 Views)

[ Edited ]

Not exactly true, Ted.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 33 of 83 (942 Views)

The key to a successful unattended VCR recording is to leave the cable box on all the time. I realize this is contrary to how the previous system worked. Leaving the box on will record the audio intact without any user interaction (Volume up, etc).

Unfortunately, we don't have plans to correct that current behavior.

Of course I would be remiss if I did not mention that a Comcast DVR may also alleviate any potential issues including your current experience..

Besides Comcast's own DVR, there are certainly third party DVRs available for retail purchase that will allow for greater recording and playback flexibility than using a VCR.

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-01-2012 10:36 PM

Visitor
Message 34 of 83 (6,957 Views)

[ Edited ]

Wow!  This is amazing!  It is over 10 months since this thread was started, I just got cable yesterday, had the problem and when I called Comcast I was told there is "no known issue" with the recording function of these boxes.

I was told to do an unplug reset.  I think I'll follow the workaround here, although I really wish that they'd just FIX THE PROBLEM with their software.  DISH was much more responsive to such problems.

Unfortunately, DISH couldn't give me a triple play bundle.

Posted by
Edited on
‎08-04-2011 05:25 PM

Visitor

Message 35 of 83 (8,160 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem. I have to leave the cable box on to get sound. I had been a direct TV customer for 15 years and had no such issue with that equipment. Since Comcast does not seem to care,I am thinking of switching back.

Posted by
Edited on
‎08-02-2011 07:39 AM

Visitor

Message 36 of 83 (8,190 Views)

[ Edited ]

rog286713 wrote:
The average user with the naked eye cannot tell the difference between hdmi and component. on a 1080p dvd player yes, from a comcast box you will not see a difference.

Gotta disagree totally. I run HDMI from the comcast STB through a Pioneer AVR to a Sharp Quattron. Sometimes I don't feel like powering up the AVR and the floor standing surround sound speakers, so I ran component cables from the STB direct to the TV, and use the TV speakers.

That way I can switch back and forth from HDMI with full surround sound to just component with the TV speakers only.

I can absolutely tell the difference between the HDMI input and the component and this is on a 1080p monitor. I also have a 720p Sharp in the other room, and I can also tell the difference between an HDMI input and the component cable input.

Guess I'm not the "average user"...

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 37 of 83 (8,212 Views)

comcast only outputs 1080i max resolution.  The average user with the naked eye cannot tell the difference between hdmi and component. on a 1080p dvd player yes, from a comcast box you will not see a difference.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 38 of 83 (8,219 Views)

rog286713 wrote:

You dont get any better picture with hdmi than you do with component cables.

Ok, I gotta disagree with that. It really depends on a number of factors, but you can get a much better clearer picture with HDMI than with component. And while you did say "picture", the sound quality is also much better through HDMI...

Here's an article that discusses both:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 39 of 83 (8,234 Views)

just wanted to let you know a few things.  You dont get any better picture with hdmi than you do with component cables.  Also you should leave your box on all the time.  I understand its tough to do what you want with those lower level boxes and even if you upgraded to an hd box in your area with dvr the software is still a mess. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 40 of 83 (8,236 Views)

After reading most of the posts, it's obvious that this is a Comcast problem that's not specific to 

the subscribers equipment.  I have the Comcast DC50X remote box.  It will not  power off, even

though the remote has a power button on it.  The only way to power it off would be to unplug the

transformer.

Back to the "No Audio" problem.  It seems to be an intermittent occurence at my place.  I have

on occasion been watching the channel (AMC) that I was going to record.  Turning the recorder

on and the audio disappears.  Channeling up or down and the audio is "good" on those channels

with the recorder still going.  Channel back to (AMC) and the audio usually pops back in and I'm

good to go.  That, of course, doesn't do any good for a future timed recording.  Don't know why

it would be specific to any certain channel.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 41 of 83 (8,308 Views)

I'd like to add my two cents worth to all of the above replys. Maybe then we can get Comcast to move on these software glitches. I have both Cisco RNG boxes; a 100 and a 150 for HD viewing. We got the Onscreen Guide update here in Arlington, VA about 5 weeks ago. However, we not only have the audio problem with the sound not coming on when new recording to a VCR starts, but we also have something different with the RNG150 box. I have this box hooked up to a Philips DVD recorder with hard drive. It upconverts which is great for viewing my DVD library. I.e., in order to view DVDs, I want a HDMI connection in order to obtain the best viewing experience. I have the RNG100 box connected to the STB with "cable-in" and with composite cables to a video input on a SDTV. I get audio and video IF and ONLY IF we leave the set-top box (ST on 24-7 just like all of you above who finally worked out the solution. All recordings appear to work Okay. On the other hand, I have the RNG150 connected to the Philips DVR through composite cables, because Cisco in its infinte wisdom decided not to include a "cable out" connector on the RNG150. I then connect the Philips DVR to two different inputs on my widescreen HDTV through component and also HDMI. GUESS WHAT?? Not only do I have the exact same audio problem, I now also have a VIDEO problem. Again, if I leave the STB on 24-7, audio is there all the time, but NO Video! I had these boxes hooked up exactly the same with the old guide where you could set up to 7 VCR-timers (to include timers to turn the box on and off) and VCR recording worked perfectly. Bang! As soon as the new guide is pushed out to us, VCR recording problems begin.

I've been working with a Comcast Service/Community REP to address this problem. Hopefully, some of you may be in my area. If so, I encourage you to do the following. In our county, we have a county employee that monitors Comcast problems throughout their service area and they WANT to hear about major problems. Send your Email complaints to the following address: "cable@arlington.va.us"! The more people complain, the bigger this "ball rolling downhill" will get. I don't begrudge Comcast advertising all their improvements to include their ease at DVR programming with their rental DVRs. If their product is good, they will make money as lots of customers will switch. But there are lots of us out there that have VCRs and especially digital DVRs with hard drives that know how to use them not just for viewing DVDs but also to cut and paste and edit home movies. We can't do that stuff with Comcast's DVRs. Why in the world would we want to give it up. Also, let's acknowledge something. Comcast by law, must allow Tivo DVRs and its service function on their system. If they have to fix their software to allow that, why would they pick on their customers? Do they really have no respect for us that much? Anyway, I am holding out hope that my 5 week concerted effort will eventually be resolved. I hope the rest of you also get resolution. Good Luck!!!
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 42 of 83 (8,659 Views)

I can tell you this.  I am two software guide upgrades ahead of you and it does not work on mine either so call it what you want to call it.  Just FYI

Posted by
Visitor
Message 43 of 83 (8,661 Views)

I understand that you are trying to offer a workaround. I've seen this workaround offered earlier in the forum. The workaround was appreciated; the prospect of retraining ourselves to continuously work around a software bug long-term is not.

However, I am trying to get people to stop sitting around like frogs in a pot of water on the stove, meekly accepting the standard lines when they hear them over the phone. I'm offering extra ammo for those who are not content to hear the line, "It's a problem with your equipment."

As far as the set-top box power issue is concerned, when Comcast wants that box to be always on, they can remove the ability to turn it off from the remote. Programming the set top box to ignore the code to power down over the IR port should be considerably less diffiicult than it was to suppress the audio.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 44 of 83 (8,659 Views)

if you leave your box on and just do tv/power to turn off your tv then it should all work.  I understand you want things to work the way they did but they probably are not coming back so I am just trying to help you  and not have you waste your time trying to make things work the way they did.  the recommendation from comcast is to leave your box on all the time as it does not draw that much power and seems to function better that way.  I have had two dvr boxes on constantly for over 6 years with never an issue. 

Posted by
Visitor
Message 45 of 83 (8,664 Views)

Leaving the box on "fixes" the problem, but it's a hack workaround -- not a solution. It renders the "All Off" toggle on the remote virtually useless at best, dangerous at worst.

This problem is not due to a handshake issue, as the TV is already on in the test scenario I describe (and verified) -- not "coming on".

Calling this problem a handshake issue is a misdirection. There is no race condition involved. It is an error in the programming for the new guide software. Period.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 46 of 83 (8,665 Views)

leave your box on and have your tv not plugged into the box and see what that does.  It looks like there is a handshake issue happening between the box and the tv if both come on at the same time. 

Posted by
Visitor
Message 47 of 83 (8,669 Views)

Comcast pushed this "improved" guide change to Howard County, MD earlier this month. We are now seeing the same problem with our Cisco RNG 100. If we use the record feature to turn the set top box on, our VCR records video but no audio.

For those who are being told, "It's your DVR/VCR", here's a simple test so you can say, "No it isn't!"

• Connect your set top box directly to your TV. (If you have an extra TV and can connect one to the three wire "line out" bank and the other to a coaxial cable, so much the better.)
  • Set up the set top box to record an upcoming show (i.e., any show that starts on the next half hour mark), turn the cable box off, then turn the TV(s) on manually.
  • Wait for the recording time.

When the set top box comes on, your TV(s) will have a picture but no sound. This will occur regardless of whether you hook a TV to the coax output or the "line out" lines.

It is difficult to believe that Comcast failed to test such a simple configuration, or -- having explicitly left a "Set VCR" recording option in place -- accidentally silenced the feed on this startup while failing to provide a menu option to permit audio output. It is especially hard to believe that such a problem has not been fixed in the three months since it was first reported on this forum.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 48 of 83 (8,845 Views)

Ok, I give up, Now it changed my id from "PurrSuede" to this garbage?? What is going on in this Forum??

What, does Comcast not like criticism or what???

So I tried to email under the email name in "Change your ForumID", but guess what... NO such person.

Try and figure out where to get help around here... good luck with that.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 49 of 83 (9,111 Views)

Re: VCR//TV/Converter Box Set Up Assistance

Thank you for that information - I will definitely try it and see if it works.  My system is not hooked up to HDMI - just regular type "cables." 

Another question if someone can answer it for me - since Comcast has now "upgraded?" to using a converter box to receive channels above 21 is it possible to hook up a TV and 2 VCR's (what I have now and it works great until they switch over to Xfinity in May).  I currently receive the signal through a wire coming through the wall from the cable connection outside.  I have the TV and 2 VCR's running at the same time and all works well - I can record 2 different stations and watch a third at the same time.  Will this set up work with a "converter" box?  If so, how do I hook it up?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!! 

Posted by
Edited on
‎04-25-2011 03:15 PM

Visitor

Message 50 of 83 (9,170 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here's what they told me (and this was in several emails)

Comcast said:

Unlike with your old guide, turning your cable box off will stop any
recordings you have in progress or affects the recording of a show.
You
can turn just your TV off by pressing the TV button on your remote and
then Power.

So if you think about that, they are saying "cable box off" will "stop any recordings" or "affects the recording of a show"...

Ergo: "Leave the cable box on..."