online now

discussions

New Scientific Atlanta On-Screen Program Guide

SOLVED
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 51 of 380 (4,595 Views)

Re: New Scientific Atlanta On-Screen Program Guide

Warriorraven...be very careful what you wish for! I  live in Woodbridge, Va and could not wait for  my SA box to be software-converted so that the guide would looke like Motorola.The guide itsefl is ok BUT the recording options, the loss of PIP and the chopping off of programs while recording make the whole ujpgrade  package terrible.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 52 of 380 (4,600 Views)

warriorraven wrote:

When will the new on-screen program guide be available in the Winchester, VA area?

You should probably ask your question here:

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scientific-atlanta-cable-boxes.html

It's a blog run by " Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation" (i.e., the guide).

Cheers.

Posted by
Visitor
  • The Community would like to Welcome you!

Message 53 of 380 (4,602 Views)

When will the new on-screen program guide be available in the Winchester, VA area?

Posted by
Contributor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 54 of 380 (4,749 Views)

ssn2cvn wrote:

Thanks to all for the info. I found a low end TiVo for a reasonable price ($99) and included the WiFi adapter ($59), so we shall see.

When I bought the Tivo it was on sale at a lower price.  I expect that varies depending on their circumstances <VBG>.  I decided that in my house the wireless is troublesome so I used a Cable-Ethernet connection from Netgear instead.  It works well and transfers, via Tivo Desktop, unprotected programs to my PC.  Comcast came out and installed the Cablecard with no issues; others suggest that the card can be self-installed.  I ran the downgraded SA DVR for a few weeks in parallel as I transferred all I wanted to save to DVD.  If you go with the Tivo guide subscription it will cost a few more $/month than Comcast unless you opt to buy a 'lifetime' subscription. 

I did decide to put the Tivo and Ethernet connection on a UPS.  The Tivo seems to take an eternity to reboot maybe because I use an external WD Mybook HD.  OTOH, I have not had to put up with the 'unplug, reboot' mantra from Comcast.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 55 of 380 (4,769 Views)

Thanks to all for the info. I found a low end TiVo for a reasonable price ($99) and included the WiFi adapter ($59), so we shall see. Don't want to mess around with too much technology change until I am sure I am going to be happy with the changes... However I don't see how it could be much worse. My wife is keeping her DVR until we are sure we have a solution, then we may get a second TiVo as it says that programs can be transferred from one DVR to another via WiFi, that will be interesting to see how long it takes.

What a shame that a huge conglomerate like Comcast doesn't give a $hit about their customers needs. Maybe they should buy an airline and they could continue with the same fine customer service.

Will check in once in a while and let you know how it all turns out.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 56 of 380 (4,786 Views)

harryhorse wrote:

The Ceton card solution is equally valid but a bit more of an integration challenge since the software for a PC DVR can vary.  I suspect the PC DVR is a better way in that you can get more features.  The Tivo software is adequate and certainly is preferable for the singular purpose of cable DVR.  Since the Comcast SA/Cisco downgrade doesn't correctly perform the DVR task reliably any other solution is preferable. 

Just to clarify a point about the Ceton InfiniTV 4.  You must use a Windows 7 PC, as Ceton only works with the Win7 version of Microsoft's Windows Media Center.  The biggest problem I had with it is that MS/Zap2it (they team up for the guide listings) did not have an accurate list of Comcast channels for my zip code.  I sent them a list of what they were missing, and after about a week all were added.  Totally worth the effort on my part, as the WMC guide is head and shoulders above what Comcast now offers.  And I have a 2 TB hard drive as the main storage unit, with an older 750 GB drive also housing recordings.

WMC can be used as more than a DVR, and there are lots of fun hacks available for it, though I playback other media via different apps.

HTH.

Posted by
Edited on
‎12-07-2011 04:27 PM

Contributor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 57 of 380 (4,792 Views)

[ Edited ]

ssn2cvn wrote:
Spoiler
Had it with the whole thing !!

I believe I am going to TiVo since your report saying the Cisco box is no better, changed my mind on trying that. Now the question is will my monthly fees go up since I don't use their box or is it still considered bundled since I have no issues with the phone or internet.  <snip>  Prices on TiVo's anyone?? Is it the better of the two discussed?

I had the same frustration with SA/Cisco software downgrade so switched to TIVO.  I got the two tuner unit that Tivo often has on special since they now offer a four tuner version (ala Ceton card).  I bought a fully paid-up subscription ($500) for the Tivo so eventually will have costs (Comcast vs Tivo) amortized after 3 yrs when there will be no further costs.  The Cable card subscription fee is much less than the HD box fee.  I kept a non-DVR Comcast HD box so I can get on-demand channels.  I run a Magnavox HD/DVD recorder for that box and select on-air/Comcast/Tivo to record as needed.  Some Tivo content can't be shared on my network so I use the Magnavox to save that video, as needed.  That gives me three tuners which covers nearly all the shows I care about.

The Ceton card solution is equally valid but a bit more of an integration challenge since the software for a PC DVR can vary.  I suspect the PC DVR is a better way in that you can get more features.  The Tivo software is adequate and certainly is preferable for the singular purpose of cable DVR.  Since the Comcast SA/Cisco downgrade doesn't correctly perform the DVR task reliably any other solution is preferable. 

The really sad thing about the SA/Cisco DVR issue is that I suspect the software may NEVER work correctly; it may not be possible given the hardware constraints of the SA box.  I should never say never but my confidence eroded once I discovered that the same issues have been around a long time in every rollout to SA customers.  Things may not improve until the next generation of hardware to be installed in all of Comcast's service area.  That's a huge investment for Comcast. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 58 of 380 (4,821 Views)

ssn2cvn wrote:
Spoiler
Had it with the wholw thing !!

Now the question is will my monthly fees go up since I don't use their box or is it still considered bundled since I have no issues with the phone or internet. I wish I heard better things about ATT as I would switch all together, but the bandwidth issues I have heard about there are just as bad and affect everything not just TV. Prices on TiVo's anyone?? Is it the better of the two discussed?

If you go with a device that requires a Multistream CableCARD (i.e., a Tivo or Ceton's InfiniTV 4), you can get a Customer Owned Equipment credit from Comcast (on a monthly basis).  I have the Ceton and get a little more than $5 credit each month.  It took quite a few phone calls and transfers until I found someone at Comcast who knew what I was talking about, as it was a fairly new policy.  But the policy is posted somewhere on Comcast's site, and I was able to read it to them verbatim.  Definitely worth the effort.

Lastly, because I still have a Comcast DVR, I do get charged the Additional Outlet fee for the CableCARD (since I'm getting the same service, i.e., HD + Sports & Entertainment on both outlets), so the credit is deducted from that line item.

Start here and you should find all the info you need to arm yourself to battle customer service:

http://www.comcast.com/equipmentpolicy/

HTH.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 59 of 380 (4,824 Views)

Spoiler
Had it with the wholw thing !!

So if we are adding complaints and issues to the list: has anyone had their program record for 3 minutes or 12 minutes or 22 minutes (instead of an hour) and then just stop but shows 60 minutes on the screen until it ends... How FRUSTRATING!!! Or maybe just not record at all even though they are scheduled or record and then disappear two days later? There are so many issues with the guide I can't even list them all but the inability to turn off the "warning" messages are the most frustrating. I don't care if the recorded started or the recording has completed, they're full of $hit anyway. I believe I am going to TiVo since your report saying the Cisco box is no better, changed my mind on trying that. Now the question is will my monthly fees go up since I don't use their box or is it still considered bundled since I have no issues with the phone or internet. I wish I heard better things about ATT as I would switch all together, but the bandwidth issues I have heard about there are just as bad and affect everything not just TV. Prices on TiVo's anyone?? Is it the better of the two discussed?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 60 of 380 (4,918 Views)

Still need P-i-P

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 61 of 380 (4,944 Views)

Yeah, that's the way it works (or doesn't)!  Kind of like the days of personal computers before MS-DOS!  I absolutely for the life of me cannot figure out why THIS is the on-screen interface and CC is rushing like mad to make programming the DVR via your smartphone the feature they simple *MUST* implement!  Even a dumbed down "Windows Recovery" style interface would be a vast improvement.  Maybe this is a "secutiry feature" -- who is obsolete enough to try and figure out how to "hack" the PG?

I'd laugh if it weren't so sad (and expensive!)

Posted by
Visitor
Message 62 of 380 (4,950 Views)

Does anybody else have this problem (among all the rest of the problems): (1) The alphabetic search matrix to search for programs only allows me to enter 5 chracters (2) It only searches for programs on the same day - not later in the week/month - which is pretty much useless

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 63 of 380 (4,957 Views)

Oh, no!!!  I read the linked to document.  Does this mean we get yet another Guide update that TRASHs all of the recordings on our DVRs?  I've been through at least two iterations of this -- and a third "outage" -- and it always DELETEs or trashes the recordings.  I feel for the people in FL who will be guinea pigs for this roll-out.

I still keep wondering about the lack of customer support (as claimed by CC) for PIP.  I suspect it is more a function of people don't know their SA and CISCO equipment could even do this.  And sorry to all Moto enslaved folks out there -- we of the 20% (SA/CISCO) sympathize with your pain -- especially that expander ports are truly disabled.  If would have dumped CC long also if my DVR expanders didn't work.

Too bad Verizon FIOS is the same (or again I would have switched).

I hope among the problems fixed are that the DVR menu (a) doesn't not remember were you were; (b) does not allow REVERSE sorting --- tough to get down to anything starting with say "World War II"; (c) keeps interrupting the screen with annoying messages (how about a customer settable "time out" for screen menus - sometimes I want to write down the description of what I have recorded?)

I may be moving to a Ceton InfiTV M-card very soon (4 tuners -- Woo-Hoo!)

Posted by
Contributor

Message 64 of 380 (4,986 Views)

JayInAlg wrote:

Harry, you continue to call the guide Revo, when it is Rovi.  http://www.rovicorp.com/

Oh dear, I suppose I recall the Revo recorder people who make multi-channel security recorders.  You are correct it's Rovi.  It's h3ll to get old.  What an insult to Revo who clearly understand hardware. 

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 65 of 380 (4,990 Views)

Harry, you continue to call the guide Revo, when it is Rovi.  http://www.rovicorp.com/

Posted by
Contributor

Message 66 of 380 (4,992 Views)

ssn2cvn wrote:

I

Well I don’t! If I am going to be given used equipment that performs below par, then I should be charged for used equipment and not new as everyone else is.

Comcast seems to think that they can do what ever they want since they pretty much have a monopoly in this area,

And please don't tell me about your exceptional customer service any more, I will give you credit for being polite, but as far as customer service, there has been none, as nothing has changed and I have no confidence that anything will. Time to buy my own TiVo.

There are new Cisco/SA boxes available, but it doesn't matter.  The Revo software for the Cisco boxes is defective.  Comcast says 'the fix is on the way', but I don't believe them.  From the way Revo has approached the SA box software, I suspect they either don't understand the hardware or, in fact, the software can never be made to restore the functionality available in in Cisco box.  The Cisco box is more capable than the Motorola box, but probably the software license from Cisco costs more than Revo and Comcast only wants to deal with one software vendor in order to roll out their next generation of products.

Earlier in this thread, I explained that I changed to TIVO.  I am quite happy with the Tivo unit.  The older units with only two tuners come on sale and I figure the subscription costs will be amortized in three years.  I still rent a Cisco box to get access to on-demand and have setup that box to record to a Magnavox DVD/HD recorder.  That way I can have more options with three tuners.  The nice part about Tivo is the fact that when I ask it to record something, it does it - the job a TV recorder is supposed to do - the job that the Revo stunted Comcast box can't reliably do.  Others have gone with Ceton quad tuner, I decided I didn't want to fuss with getting the Windows driver software to work now that Google bought the best software to control the Windows recorder.

Comcast customer service is quite good, but sadly, they aren't in control of much.  I'm sure they express our frustrations to no avail, but they soldier on.

My advice, quit trying to get the Comcast DVR to work.  Get a TIVO or a Ceton box and be done with the frustration.  After a few years the extra costs even out and actually start to save you money - not to mention the toll on your patience. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 67 of 380 (5,032 Views)

Not responding to anyone in particular, these are E-Mail responses I have sent to Comcast's so called customer service line where the party line is always the same... with no technical responses whatsoever. I would love to know how to get the whole string of E-Mails over to that blog, so that he can see what I am facing and don't seem to be able to get the right person. 

Posted by
Problem Solver
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.
  • Communication is Key. Way to go, keep it up. Congrats on 100 Replies!

Message 68 of 380 (5,067 Views)

Not sure who you are responding to, but you may find some answers at comcast's blog on this topic....

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scientific-atlanta-cable-boxes.html

Posted by
Visitor

Message 69 of 380 (5,073 Views)

It is nice to hear that you are working on an update with Motorola for the DVR... But if you had bother to research this issue at all you would realize that we in PSL West are stuck with the Scientific Atlanta boxes which are all supposedly refurbished (no new versions) and are pretty much "used" equipment that does not perform up to par, much like getting a used car and inheriting someone else's problems, proven by the fact that I have had 6 boxes in two years and everyone at Comcast seems to think that this is OK.

Well I don’t! If I am going to be given used equipment that performs below par, then I should be charged for used equipment and not new as everyone else is. I ordered a second box to specifically try to cover the gaps left by my main box and I get charged more for the second box than I am the first??? Where is the logic in that? I shouldn't be getting charged at all!!!

Management needs to get their head out of the sand, step up and deal with this head on as I believe that I am being treated as a second class citizen and will not accept that from anyone. I spent 28 years in the US Navy serving my country to make sure that the rights of the American people would not be infringed upon and Comcast seems to think that they can do what ever they want since they pretty much have a monopoly in this area, which lat time I looked was unlawful, so I think maybe I have finally had enough grief from you people and will be looking for alternatives.

And please don't tell me about your exceptional customer service any more, I will give you credit for being polite, but as far as customer service, there has been none, as nothing has changed and I have no confidence that anything will. Time to buy my own TiVo.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 70 of 380 (5,075 Views)

Sooner or later someone at corporate is going to get this entire chain of E-Mails, I will find a way, and then maybe someone will listen!!

Another brilliant answer to something I already knew. The question is, who at Comcast is aware of this and why has it not been made public along with the rest of the problems?? When is this next release of the "guide" proposed for implementation. How much input has actually been gathered from Comcast customers that use the guide and the DVR's, as to what they would like to see in the new release, rather than some software engineer who never watches TV or uses a DVR, sitting in a cubicle in God knows what country, writing what he thinks the public wants to see. Have you ever heard of surveys or customer questionnaires or compiling a list of the issues that we have on a day to day basis? This is what smart companies do when releasing new product and updates... They find out what the needs of their customers are rather than just providing a partial fix to some of the problems... Ask the people, they will tell you what they want and then maybe you will stop getting E-Mails with this sort of tone. However I just don't think you guys get it!!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 71 of 380 (5,076 Views)

Thank you for basically blowing me off. I feel so comforted knowing that I just wasted 20 minutes of my life composing a rather detailed list of the problems I am having and all you can do is tell me about your commitment to excellence, instead of actually having someone tech savvy enough to deal with the problem(s) pick up a phone and call me so that we can try to work through the issues. I am so happy that you feel you are doing the best job possible, but I have called and talked to your technicians and with their limited training and capabilities they have basically sent a refresh signal down the line or had me unplug the box, all to no avail and then want to schedule a service call as "it must be the box". I have had plenty of service calls and, as I stated, 6 different boxes in 3 years... None of which apparently have been documented, as the Office of the President in Philadelphia says that they is no documentation of my complaints... Hmmmm!

I will however take your advice and start documenting the issues I am having, so that I can get a credit for the service, as well as have something tangible to send along with my letter to corporate. Maybe sooner or later I will get someone to listen...

Highlighted
Posted by
Visitor

Message 72 of 380 (5,078 Views)

I know that you are trying to help but I have been dealing with different DVR equipment since about 1999, from Direct TV to TiVo to Cox Cable and now Comcast and this is the most incredibly screwed up system I have ever dealt with. There are obvious software issues with the "new" Xfinity system/guide that need to be acknowledge and addressed because they are basically being ignored. I am not the only one dealing with these issues... Read any of your Comcast blogs. I have had my input cables replaced all the way from the street to the house by talking to Corporate in Philly and gained about 3 dB (??) and an amplifier was installed at the ingress point to the house. That solved much of the pixelation issues, until last Friday night when about 2 hours worth of broadcasts were pixelated to point of being unwatchable. That was the incoming signal, not my house... So what happened there?

I also have recordings that last 6 minutes vice the hour they are supposed to record for and random recordings that just remove themselves from the My DVR recorded sections. I can't record a rebroadcast of a show without recording all rebroadcast of that show as there is no way to specify what it is you want as there used to be in the old version. I am not illiterate when it comes to operating DVR's however Comcast assumes that we all are and it must be the box (??). The old guide had its issues, but it was better than the supposed "upgrade" we have now. A hybrid of the two would have been the best choice, however Comcast in its arrogance didn't bother to ask their customers, what they thought about what they had and what needed to be changed. An online survey could have provided you with all that input if you have just taken the time to think.

Much of our/my problems may be due to the fact that we are an old Adelphia system here but, I have no issues with internet or phone, just the television/DVR service which has become a standing joke in my house, since we are TV junkies. After 6 Scientific Atlanta boxes (refurbished of course) in 3 years, what makes you think that another box will make the difference? I don't hear anything good about the "new" Cisco boxes and then I have to go through the whole process of setting up the new box as well as reprogram some 60+ recordings, varying through the year, plus losing whatever I already have recorded.

You guys need to sit down and figure this out! I am paying $150+ a month for something that aggravates me and that's not going to last much longer. By the way I have two DVR's in the house and the same thing happens on both, however not at the same time and not with the same shows. So when you have a real answer for all the problems that we (the public in this area) are dealing with, let me know and I will be happy to sit down and discuss the issues with them or I will have to find a new provider, because I will assume that you don't care.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 73 of 380 (5,080 Views)

Huge, obtrusive pop-ups telling me things like "Do you want to change the channel when recording starts or cancel the recording?" NEITHER! It''s a two-tuner DVR, stupid! RECORDING HAS ENDED blocks the screen, Why? Then, we have "power off will cancel" warning? The channel-guide is now clumsy to scroll through, not to mention the undesirable ads. Then I find recordings set for an hour that record for 3-20 mintes then just stop?? There are a dozen or more things that are wrong or just don''t work after the "upgrade", Now, the DVR decided to simply NOT record some scheduled programs last night.

There was plently of room, but when we checked later in the evenings, the recordings were simply not done. This has been an journey from something that worked reasonably well to a fiasco. Did I mention this is my sixth box in three tears? Why doesn''t someone at Comcast fix this ridiculous "upgrade?" Now I read where a technician came out and did a "full software" down grade for someone that seem to solve many of the issues. If there is a software issue, then you are aware of it and you need to fix it. Read your own forums for god sake, this is not a joke just very poor business. I talked to the Office of the President in Philly and got both of my input lines replace... it fixed the pixilation problem but the software and useability issues suck. Fix it or lose the business if your care at all.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 74 of 380 (5,206 Views)

Until at least 10 million customers (about 1/2 their customer base) complain, they don't have to listen.  So really, if you ask me, there ads, that we pay for and to watch are fraudulant "the best customer experience" is certainly not on their real agenda, collecting our money is.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 75 of 380 (5,214 Views)

What amazes me is they seem to monitor this board but don't get the hint the so many customers are unhappy with the new "UPGRADE" and they really don't care. I'm glad to see my local phone company coming to my area so you know where i will be looking!!!!! 

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 76 of 380 (5,266 Views)

DId not know that Motorola was the majority. I love many features of the new guide and DVR but the ones we lost are really needed.

TerriB

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 77 of 380 (5,273 Views)

you are correct about the sofware, CS reps cant help you with that.  As for your motorola comment, over 80% of comcast customers are motorola customers, so you can see why they are going this route.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 78 of 380 (5,274 Views)

I agree about the employees that I have worked with on the phone with Comcast. Have had good experiences over the years and they do forward the 'gripes' but like you said they can't fix stuff. I don't think these so called enhancements are due to cost cutting. Its mostly software changes  and supposedly they were trying to get all boxes to work the same instead of replacing SA with Motorola. They should have made Motorola look like SA instead of the other way around.

TerriB

Posted by
Contributor

Message 79 of 380 (5,281 Views)

IMHO, lack of competition and cost cutting.  I find most Comcast employees dedicated and willing to help but not having the authority to fix real problems. 

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 80 of 380 (5,284 Views)

Comcast should be ashamed for offering those alternatives to being able to record same show same time every week like we HAD BEFORE the 'upgrade'.

Their suggestions are terrible. The one they gave to record manually cracked me up. You would never know what shows you had recorded...duh.

As for  their priority suggestion..are you kidding me?

The right answer from them should be an apology and a software update. It still boggles my mind that they think than any of their customers would want to record duplicates or repeats of any show...HUH?

AND along with all that  I can no longer  record two and watch another live on what is now encrypted  so I am going slightly mad keeping up with what I have to set to record on what day every week, what I have to watch On Demand and what I can't watch at all because some networks don't have all the shows On Demand.

What in the world has happened to us? How many steps backward is Comcast going to take us?

TerriB

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 81 of 380 (1,968 Views)

Re: Unhappy with new xfinity. Anyone else?

only 20% of comcasts customers are affected by this, so not all users can ask for any credit.  

Posted by
Visitor

Message 82 of 380 (1,980 Views)

Re: Unhappy with new xfinity. Anyone else?

Yes, it is definitely a downgrade. I have requested a credit for DVR service (going back to the downgrade) until functionality is restored. I think all DVR users should request a credit.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 83 of 380 (2,151 Views)

Funny and sad when you compare COMCAST's approach to their customers with Apple's.  Try for a moment to conceive of Apple launching laughable products like the new program guide and killing off features in previous hardware.  Hurts your brain doesn't it?  Imagine COMCAST customer service ala an Apple retail store...  Impossible: would require a Lake Woebegone and their just are not enough above average service reps in the COMCAST universe.  And with almost a completely captive audience in many areas there is no incentive for COMCAST to do anything other than make their own life simpler and cheaper:  lousy hardware, single S/W platform, cheapest subcontractors, etc.

The commented on examples above showing that the left and right hands within COMCAST are mutually clueless is particularly discouraging because we wind up paying for these corporate inefficiencies and overall stupidity.

I hope that Apple's next shot at TV results in some real pain for COMCAST and the rest of monopolista cable industry.  But then they'll just modify the fee structure to take the missing money from the broadband component. Face it, cable TV will never get better in a meaningful, customer centric way; the only slim hope is that they fix some of the more egregious the bugs we endure daily.

And I simply cannot wait to program the DVR via my HTC Thunderbolt...

I would love to know if anybody has an on-line poll allowing people to "vote" on the various STB features, former, existing and coming soon.  My prediciton:  Smartphone programming doesn't make the top 15.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 84 of 380 (2,161 Views)

FormerCCrep wrote:

I agree.  Several of the Head ends (where all of the satellites are) run SA/now Cisco equipment.  In my experience, it's ridiculous to convert to a Motorola interfaced guide in the markets where the SA equipment is used by the consumer. Why would you take a signal received by satellite on SA equipment which is then broadcast to SA equipment and then convert the information to a Motoroa friendly (dummyed down) format? The DVR looses a lot of it's capability and the syncing lags when you pause or resume the picture while watching a realtime show.  

I doubt that the head end has much to do with subscriber equipment.  My analysis suggests that Rovi simply didn't (maybe still doesn't) have full engineering data for the SA equipment.  The fact that they were able to update SA firmware was quite an acomplishment, that does show skill.  OTOH, the SA hardware seems more advanced than Motorola hardware and perhaps more expensive.  What is clear is that Comcast wants one software configuration to fit both boxes in their cable universe.  Rovi has delivered that part.  However, there are serious implementation bugs that suggest the software was a beta release not the least associated with issues with the real time buffer and ability to record two streams while watching a recorded stream.  That issue causes the DVR to not record what the customer requests, but act like it is recording.  Since that is the actual sole task of a recorder stripped of any other fluff, that inability is a serious fault.  As mentioned here, Comcast is 'working on the issue'.  But given the fact the issue has been around since the first rollout, it must be quite difficult to fix.  We all wait the solution.

Meanwhile, Comcast rolls trucks uselessly and don't inform customer reps of the faults.  That implies some real Comcast management issues.  They do have a large base, I'm just surprised they haven't taken more action to spread accurate information particularly when it costs them profit.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 85 of 380 (2,187 Views)

I agree.  Several of the Head ends (where all of the satellites are) run SA/now Cisco equipment.  In my experience, it's ridiculous to convert to a Motorola interfaced guide in the markets where the SA equipment is used by the consumer. Why would you take a signal received by satellite on SA equipment which is then broadcast to SA equipment and then convert the information to a Motoroa friendly (dummyed down) format? The DVR looses a lot of it's capability and the syncing lags when you pause or resume the picture while watching a realtime show.  My remote no longer controls the TV and using the DVR is a nightmare.  If you set it to record only new shows, it will record every show (even that days repeats), so then you have to go to each recording and remove it manually.  It's awful and it's just not made to work with the SA equipment.

As a rep, the SA equipment usually responded better when sending a signal and no one ever complained about the SA guide.  My guess the conversion has more to do with the cost factor.  Just like the on demand service has vendors (and the cheapest one usually wins at comcast), I'm pretty sure the guide software has a vendor too and that vendor is probably cheaper too.

Add to this the fact that Comcast has consumed a number of small cable operations that do not have fiberoptics (old companies that are now incorporated into comcast, often had copper lines), so there is a patchwork of equipment out there and Motorola is less expensive and widely available, so many of the operations that it 'inherited',  came with Motorola as the generic equipment.

Complaining doesn't help with comcast, they rarley make any changes based on customer satisfaction, or God forbid, customer suggestion/request.  It's a very rigid corporation.  The only thing that matters less than customers are employees (the ones that touch the public; phone reps/counter reps/repair persons).  Lock step is the rule, so prepare to march customers, I doubt the guide will return to that friendly, easy to follow, logical one that we had until recently....mentioning it to the local authority (on the bottom of the front page of your bill, might help)...they (comcast) do need their (the local authority)  permission to increase your rates and remove or add channels.....

PS-As an example, how come the general public realizes that the "Rovi" guide is not compatable with SA/Cisco equipment, but the braintrust at CC doesn't get it??? Way to give your customers to the competitor, Fios, Quest/Century Link and Clearchannel are headed their way (too bad it's Dish-but enough frustration will make customers give the dish a try) is headed Comcast's way....

Posted by
Contributor

Message 86 of 380 (2,289 Views)

Truncate recording issue

I asked the tech to have a supervisor call me so that I could complain on the previous supervisor who tried to get me to pay for an uneeded and not requested service charge, I spoke to a supervisor in Houston who was well aware of the problem and who regretted telling me that the update had been pushed back until October.  

Call and complain.  The more they hear from upset customers the more likely they are to move up the fix.  

I doubt seriously that complaining will accomplish much.  They (upper management) are clearly aware of the issue.  I find it remarkable that field technicians (and customer support reps) aren't also aware because that means that trucks are rolling to accomplish nothing.  The software was not adequately testing and we are the beta testers.  Revo does not fully understand the SA product line as demonstrated by the inferior software performance elsewhere.  The truncated recording was the straw for me, my Tivo does not truncate.  If only On Demand was available on Tivo. Of course, sometimes On Demand isn't available via the menu on the SA box, but that's not a guide issue (I think). 

Many customers are not aware of this forum (maybe a good thing) so they will spend useless effort exchanging boxes, waiting for service calls, etc.  Comcast really needs to do a better job.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 87 of 380 (2,326 Views)

The fix for the truncate issue was suppose to roll out in August, but has been pushed back to some time in October.  I spent a lot of time on the phone with several Comcast reps to get this answer.  I did recieve a credti for my DVR for three months after complaining.  Some of the techs are aware of the problem, others are not.  When I called for a credit in the middle of August, the first person I talked to told they were aware of the issue and the fix should come some time later in the month.  He could only offer me a $5 refund, so I requested a supervisor.  The supervisor was not aware of the issue and told me that he was going to send a field tech to my house (for a fee).  I told him not to send a field tech unless he was a computer programer, because the problem was a software issue, not hardware.  He finally gave me a $30 credit.  

A couple days later I got a computer phone call confirming my appointment for Saturday.  I did not want a service tech to come out so I hit the no number.  On Saturday at 2:10pm I got a call from a live person asking if my DVR was still broken.  I told her it was, but that it was a known software issue and I did not need a tech to come to my house.  She said, "OK, the tech will be there between 2pm and 5pm."  I told her that she was not listening to my so whatever and I hung up.  The service tech arrived and I explained to him that I did not request a service tech and began to explain the problem.  He was aware of the issue and said that they make a lot of calls on this issue and a problem with HBO not working.  He canceled the service call so that I would not get charged for it, but said that a lot of tech don't got through that effort and people don't find out they were charged until they get their bill.  

I asked the tech to have a supervisor call me so that I could complain on the previous supervisor who tried to get me to pay for an uneeded and not requested service charge, I spoke to a supervisor in Houston who was well aware of the problem and who regretted telling me that the update had been pushed back until October.  

Call and complain.  The more they hear from upset customers the more likely they are to move up the fix.  

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Message 88 of 380 (2,330 Views)

I don't care so much about the new user interface.  It could be better, but I am able to accomplish the tasks, so... whatever.

What is upsetting is the new feature where by it truncates a recording in progress if you start watching it.  We have been complaining about this for several months now in various posts in this forum.  It is also discussed in this blog http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scientific-atlanta-cable-boxes.html.  But nobody can give a straight answer about when the fix will be available.  And attempts to contact support about this result in a very frustrating experience of starting from scratch and them denying they know anything about the problem.

When will the fix be available!!????

Hudson, NH

Posted by
Visitor

Message 89 of 380 (2,487 Views)

Thanks JayInAlg,

I was wondering why I didn't see his comments for awhile. Since you responded above, maybe you could give me an answer to this little problem.
Someone mentioned in a recent forum that all the remotes for DTAs, RNGs, DCXs and so on, supposedly use a new industry standard “XMP” for transmitting commands to the boxes. If so, I guess this explains why each remote that Comcast has for their boxes, controls every other box! If though, this causes major problems for someone like me who doesn’t want to use (or pay) for a DVR. If I want to watch one channel while recording another channel on a VCR, then using a splitter I connect one output to a set-top-box (ST and the other splitter output to a DTA and both Comcast outputs go to two different TV video inputs. But here’s the problem. If I’m recording a program on the VCR from the set-top-box, then change my TV video input to that from the DTA and want to change channels to watch something else, guess what? The channels attempt to change on both boxes!!!! It doesn’t matter if I use one of the big Onscreen guide grey remotes with the red buttons, or the small black remote for the DTA. Either remote controls each other’s box. I understand about similar command codes for all DVRs and STBs, because they need to communicate with the Onscreen guide but the DTAs also??? This doesn’t make sense. After all, you can’t interract with the onscreen guide with the DTA, so why does its remote control DVRs and STBs??? Do you know if we can change the command codes for DTAs and the small remote? Let me pre-empt a possible answer. I could block the IR sensor on the STB so the DTA remote could be used, But why should I have to? And secondly, when I want to use the other remote to access the Guide on the STB, I would have to get up and remove the 'block'. The point is, Comcast should have the capability to reprogram a remote if because of a particular setup, there are two remotes that need to be used. Do you have a solution for this?? Thanks.
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 90 of 380 (2,529 Views)

Comcast George has been gone for over a year.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 91 of 380 (2,532 Views)

Comcast George, Good link to the Guide you gave at the beginning, but the problem all these people here are really talking about, is that this link shows two Guides. The top one was/is used in Cisco/Scientific-Atlanta box markets. In those areas, the Guide worked just fine and programming was fairly straight forward. We all go use to it. Then, Comcast decided as you said, to upgrade these market areas to the Guide on the bottom (the blue one) which is a Guide you all have been using in market areas that have Motorola boxes!!! The programming works for them (as far as we know). The BIG problem tho is, that the software engineers from Comcast and/or Motorola did not program correctly and/or trouble shoot properly when they shot the Guide software out to Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta boxes. You can't turn set-top-boxes off anymore and HDMI connections can not be made through DVD or VCR recorders. They say that this Fall's upgrade will take care of this, but we'll see! Anyway, I read down all the above items in this forum, and almost all of them are related to this one way or another. You might want to feed this frustration back to Comcast. Maybe they will listen to you. I've been interacting with them in Baltimore for 4 months now, and haven't gotten anywhere. Good Luck!!
Posted by
Visitor

Message 92 of 380 (2,584 Views)

It appears to only work sometimes. I've now tried it on five recordings. Two of them worked as advertised, three failed, restarting from the beginning instead of after the stop point. The only thing I noticed was that the two which worked had both ended with a black screen, and that two of the fails ended with a paused image (not sure on the third one).

Posted by
Contributor

Message 93 of 380 (2,599 Views)

rjc1247 wrote:

Well it happened again tonight, and, I'm sorry to report, the above trick did not work....

To me the issue is associated with the inability of the Real Time Buffer to function correctly.  But what do I really know.  What is quite clear is that the software rollout was hurried and not adequately tested.  Given that Revo (the development company) obviously doesn't understand the Cisco/Scientific Atlanta hardware (other significant functional dowgrades - PIP, copy to DVD, etc), I simply gave up and got a Tivo.  For the moment, Comcast gets my $ for both units but eventually the Comcast box will go back to them.  I do hope that 'someday' the Video On Demand will be ported without needing the Comcast box because I do use that feature.  In the interim, I suppose I can use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc for even more $, but when I start to consider those expenses, I begin to question the need for Comcast TV at all.  These alternatives can cost less overall as Comcast is discovering subscriber losses.

As I explore the Tivo or other alternatives, I learn there are very active communities working to improve the product, authorized or not.  Maybe the future is staring at me now.

Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 94 of 380 (2,605 Views)

Well it happened again tonight, and, I'm sorry to report, the above trick did not work....

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 95 of 380 (2,627 Views)

Thank you so much, this is such great news! 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 96 of 380 (2,634 Views)

Your recordings are not actually truncated-- the software just won't let you see them! Here's a copy of a post I made on another forum:

--------------------------------------------

Somewhere I saw a workaround that actually works! I can't find it again to give credit to the poster, but here it is:

Play the recording up until the " black screen". At the delete/ do not delete prompt, select "do not delete". Then re-start from where you left off. You have not lost the program (except the ones that (like me) you've already deleted).

If anyone finds that original post, please thank him/her for me. This turned a major PITA into a mere inconvenience.

This will save some aggravation until Comcast gets it fixed. BTW, I've seen several mentions that it only happens when you access dvr functions during recording of two shows. That's not true; I've had several instances of unattended recordings being truncated when a second recording starts during the first one

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 97 of 380 (2,658 Views)

right these are issues comcast is addressing.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 98 of 380 (2,664 Views)

The "New" guide has all the same problems listed above...and more.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 99 of 380 (2,668 Views)

I have same problems

Posted by
Edited on
‎08-16-2011 10:44 PM

Contributor

Message 100 of 380 (2,678 Views)

[ Edited ]

markpapp wrote:

COMCAST - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND TO THESE ISSUES

Since the new guide downgrade, we are having the problem of recorded shows ending abruptly at various times.  The menu shows the full recorded time but when played the shows randomly end at differing times, 5 mins, 14 mins, 32 mins, etc.  I've read many other posts with the same issue and never see an official explaination from Comcast.

We have had software repushed to solve the problem only to see it reoccurr again and again.  Having to remember not to record two shows while trying to watch a recorded show is not an option.  We pay for the ability to be able to do just that.

COMCAST - PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR CUSTOMERS, POST A REPLY AND SOLVE THIS ISSUE PERMANENTLY.  WE ARE PAYING YOU HUGE SUMS OF MONEY AND SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THESE SOFTWARE BUGS AND FRUSTRATIONS.  TEST YOUR SOFTWARE ACROSS ALL OF YOUR CABLEBOX AND DVR PLATFORMS BEFORE FORCING IT DOWN OUR THROATS.

THANK YOU.

If you read the blog here

written by the Senior Director of guides and such

you'll see that Comcast is aware of this extremely serious bug in their software, and are promising to fix it in the next update.  When that update gets to your area depends.  A vague time table is presented.  I'm not joking when I say a class action suit would be in order to recover some portion of the DVR fee we pay per month.  Probably not worth the effort, but in principle Comcast knows they owe us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*sigh*  Always late to the party ;-)